The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Achewood => Achewood => Topic started by: wombat on November 08, 2008, 03:52:38 am

Title: The Great Indoor Book Signing
Post by: wombat on November 08, 2008, 03:52:38 am


Chris sends his greetings: I asked, as requested, when the next strip would appear, and he said, affectionately, "Tell them to go fuck themselves."

I am going to leave out the squealy fangirly part of the story till tomorrow because now I would probably sound like an idiot.



Title: Re: The Great Indoor Book Signing
Post by: Golfhaus on November 08, 2008, 03:57:54 am
I asked, as requested, when the next strip would appear, and he said, affectionately, "Tell them to go fuck themselves."

Nice. I don't know whether to laugh or get supremely pissed off.
Title: Re: The Great Indoor Book Signing
Post by: wombat on November 08, 2008, 03:58:51 am
He meant it in the nicest possible way!
Title: Re: The Great Indoor Book Signing
Post by: littlefallsmets on November 08, 2008, 05:18:58 am
As a 55th degree liberal, I intuit the answer to the "Fuck Yourself Conundrum" as:

Pretend to be offended until the moment that "getting the joke" benefits me personally.
Title: Re: The Great Indoor Book Signing
Post by: Victoria Waterfield on November 08, 2008, 08:03:26 am
I bet he's just annoyed at himself that he didn't think to save that Fuck You Friday strip for this week.
Title: Re: The Great Indoor Book Signing
Post by: theinevitable on November 08, 2008, 08:04:23 am
he looks like one or more Tim and Eric characters.
Title: Re: The Great Indoor Book Signing
Post by: Doc on November 08, 2008, 12:26:43 pm
Am I the only one that sees that Onstad is Ray?

Proof!
(http://users.tpg.com.au/cedpad/raystad.JPG)
Title: Re: The Great Indoor Book Signing
Post by: wombat on November 08, 2008, 01:00:50 pm
Additional evidence in favor of Doc's theory:

1. He's monk dimin' (http://achewood.com/index.php?date=01092008). I thought of trying to get a picture of the back of his head, but it seemed rude.

2. He's the sort of guy who causes you to wake up hung over and wondering why there is writing on your arm. Did I mention that the signing basically took place in a bar?
Title: Re: The Great Indoor Book Signing
Post by: jough on November 08, 2008, 01:53:44 pm
This is as things should be.

I think he was in Chicago this week?  I was probably at an iPhone dev conference at the time. 

It's probably better we don't meet anyway.

THERE WOULD BE BLOOD
Title: Re: The Great Indoor Book Signing
Post by: miles on November 08, 2008, 06:22:05 pm
I joined the board within 3 or 4 months of its inception, but have been and on and off contributor. Going through the archives, though, GODDAMN there has been some bad blood. All in good and imaginary fun, of course.

I was also a member, if I'm recalling correctly, of the previous board, but only kind of.

Onstad will likely never hit SLC, and we won't cross paths in the cities he will be hitting that I am planning to visit over the next few months. Oh well.
Title: Re: The Great Indoor Book Signing
Post by: wombat on November 08, 2008, 10:13:40 pm
Added a couple more pictures, but Flickr won't let me link to the set, WTF?

Title: Re: The Great Indoor Book Signing
Post by: jough on November 11, 2008, 04:34:23 am
I haven't had a problem with Onstad since he stopped drinking and beating his wife so much.  I think his little girl has maybe softened him somewhat.

Anyway, no real bad blood I don't think.  He actually came and was a dick on the board for a bit and it was a lot of fun.
Title: Re: The Great Indoor Book Signing
Post by: Choop on November 11, 2008, 07:04:26 am
The author likes to harass people, and the founder finds a different definition of fun than the rest of the members.
Title: Re: The Great Indoor Book Signing
Post by: pmcd9 on November 11, 2008, 03:07:36 pm
I too thought Onstad's presence on the board was fun.
Title: Re: The Great Indoor Book Signing
Post by: wombat on November 11, 2008, 03:47:13 pm
I would give anything to have him come back and lock a thread just one more time. *sigh*
Title: Re: The Great Indoor Book Signing
Post by: littlefallsmets on November 13, 2008, 04:37:24 am
Of course the LA area one is at Meltdown. Of course.

I might have to try and get there... it is not entirely out of my ability to get there toward the tail-end of such an event.
Title: Re: The Great Indoor Book Signing
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on November 13, 2008, 06:28:17 am
Am I the only one that sees that Onstad is Ray?

Proof!
(http://users.tpg.com.au/cedpad/raystad.JPG)


He is oddly reminiscent of Pumbaa.
Title: Re: The Great Indoor Book Signing
Post by: Choop on November 13, 2008, 09:18:49 am
smets i just was at meltdown last week (oh so good)
Title: Re: The Great Indoor Book Signing
Post by: Limmo on November 13, 2008, 05:42:27 pm
I've never been to Meltdown, though from the Google map it seems to be a block down from Guitar Center.

Guess I'll be going in a month, though....
Title: Re: The Great Indoor Book Signing
Post by: wombat on November 13, 2008, 06:21:57 pm
Get there early.  The line stretched down the block and around the corner and from what I have read elsewhere, apparently lasted till midnight with waits of a couple of hours. I got there before it started so only had to wait maybe 45 minutes or an hour on the line itself.

Did I mention that he knew who I was? It is nice that a guy with such long lines still appreciates the knuckleheads since small times.
Title: Re: The Great Indoor Book Signing
Post by: CortJstr on November 13, 2008, 06:39:34 pm
Did I mention that he knew who I was? It is nice that a guy with such long lines still appreciates the knuckleheads since small times.

Did he know you as wombat or did he recognize your real name from store orders/personalizations?
Title: Re: The Great Indoor Book Signing
Post by: pmcd9 on November 13, 2008, 06:50:04 pm
Did I mention that he knew who I was?

No, you didn't mention this.  I think you need to write a blog post about this. 
Title: Re: The Great Indoor Book Signing
Post by: wombat on November 13, 2008, 06:55:46 pm
He recognized my real first name, without my last name, and without my explaining who I was, which I was debating with myself about doing for the whole time on line.

I actually had a fair amount of email correspondence with him once upon a time. And given that virtually no one under 40 has my first name and most of his fans are guys, not needing my last name is maybe not all that surprising. On the third hand, though, I was not even in the city I live in, and he knew that.

And there is no point in trying to pretend otherwise - it made me want to jump up and down and squeal like a little girl.


Title: Re: The Great Indoor Book Signing
Post by: littlefallsmets on November 13, 2008, 06:56:54 pm
Well, considering that I'm not even going to be done with my run of picking up people after work until 7:30... well...

I guess I'll just have to hope that I'm not locked out of the situation if I get there at 8:30.
Title: Re: The Great Indoor Book Signing
Post by: wombat on November 13, 2008, 07:01:51 pm
No, you didn't mention this.  I think you need to write a blog post about this. 

I did post the photo on my blog. I thought about writing a blog post with more of the details, but I don't know. It was actually so normal, in the end, and that was what was nice. It was just like, we knew each other, and we finally met. And a blog post of, like, the details of whole conversation would be so fangirly.

However, I will confess: at the same time I was having an absolutely crappy work week - and because I work for some people in NY the trip actually put me in the center of it, not away from it - and so every time some new shit dropped I would close my eyes for a moment and remind myself of the moment. Sometimes you just need a way to go to a happy place in your mind for a bit, you know?
Title: Re: The Great Indoor Book Signing
Post by: AugustWest on November 14, 2008, 02:19:58 am
He is oddly reminiscent of Pumbaa.

Zing!