The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => Sports & Leisure => Topic started by: miles on November 16, 2008, 08:01:38 am

Title: Gin and...
Post by: miles on November 16, 2008, 08:01:38 am
How unusual is it to request a gin? A gin, that's all. A shot of gin. I was at a show tonight, and got an "invite" to the "after party" and we could have like three free beers. Anyway, after my third, I needed another drink so I ordered a gin. A shot of gin. Girl looked at me like I ordered a shot of Everclear.

"May I have a gin please, just a shot?"

"Gin? Are you sure?"

"Yes, please."

"What kind?"

"Uhh, Tanqueray?"

[Raises eyebrows] ... "OK, one sec."

Maybe there is something I don't know.
Title: Re: Gin and...
Post by: theinevitable on November 16, 2008, 08:19:08 am
a lot of people seem to think gin is horrible, and yet will drink whiskey and bourbon and things that taste like poison.

people are all drinking whiskey and being like, "daniel, it is so intense that you drink gin, it is so strong." it is strange.
Title: Re: Gin and...
Post by: littlefallsmets on November 16, 2008, 08:27:40 am
I dunno, I think that of all the liquors, gin is just generally thought of as a mixer first and a liquour second.

(Probably because it tastes like someone set one of those tree air-freshners on fire and threw the ashes into the cheapest vodka legally available in Armenia.)
Title: Re: Gin and...
Post by: Ben-San on November 16, 2008, 10:06:25 am
Gin has a weirdly mixed reputation. While the cocktail culture of the Prohibition and post-Prohibition eras have rendered the gin cocktail among the classiest of men's drinks, gin in its uncocktailed form largely retains an image that dates at least to the eighteenth century of the drunken laborer and his wife's slow-fading bruises.
Title: Re: Gin and...
Post by: KeithHernandez on November 16, 2008, 10:50:58 am
One time my roommate drank a handle of gin in a night (he didn't have any mixers), and, yeah, gin straight is silly.
Title: Re: Gin and...
Post by: wombat on November 16, 2008, 02:31:37 pm
gin in its uncocktailed form largely retains an image that dates at least to the eighteenth century of the drunken laborer and his wife's slow-fading bruises.

I am not sure I believe that the average 20something bartender has a thought like this in his or her head, but I would sure like to believe it.
Title: Re: Gin and...
Post by: Ruta Bagas on November 16, 2008, 04:22:24 pm
Personally I feel that the deliciousness of gin is brought out nicely by tonic, whereas the deliciousness of, say, whisky is spoiled by mixers. Rum sits nicely in the middle. Good ol' flexible rum.
Title: Re: Gin and...
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on November 16, 2008, 06:03:03 pm
Why didnt you just order a martini?
Title: Re: Gin and...
Post by: JorgeFabregas on November 16, 2008, 10:27:20 pm
Because he didn't want a a martini--he wanted a fuck*ng gin!
Title: Re: Gin and...
Post by: miles on November 16, 2008, 11:50:13 pm
Because he didn't want a a martini--he wanted a fuck*ng gin!

Thank you, sir. I really just wanted a shot of something. Normally Jameson would do, but I wasn't feeling it. I just didn't think it was that unusual.

Gin has a weirdly mixed reputation. While the cocktail culture of the Prohibition and post-Prohibition eras have rendered the gin cocktail among the classiest of men's drinks, gin in its uncocktailed form largely retains an image that dates at least to the eighteenth century of the drunken laborer and his wife's slow-fading bruises.

Yeah, usually when I've had it straight, it's been straight from the bottle.
Title: Re: Gin and...
Post by: KeithHernandez on November 16, 2008, 11:55:26 pm
Yeah, usually when I've had it straight, it's been straight from the bottle.

Uh, yeah.
Title: Re: Gin and...
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on November 17, 2008, 03:05:23 am
Because he didn't want a a martini--he wanted a fuck*ng gin!

I totally respect this.  When I tended bar, I couldn't stand people who ordered a martini, then said something dumb like "just show the vermouth bottle to the glass."  If you don't want any fuckin' vermouth in it, order gin straight up, dumb-ass.
Title: Re: Gin and...
Post by: miles on November 17, 2008, 06:26:50 am
I totally respect this.  When I tended bar, I couldn't stand people who ordered a martini, then said something dumb like "just show the vermouth bottle to the glass."  If you don't want any fuckin' vermouth in it, order gin straight up, dumb-ass.

Vindication from a former bartender! Thanks man.

Personally I feel that the deliciousness of gin is brought out nicely by tonic, whereas the deliciousness of, say, whisky is spoiled by mixers. Rum sits nicely in the middle. Good ol' flexible rum.

For the record, I love a gin and tonic. And I think you're quite right about the others, too.
Title: Re: Gin and...
Post by: lprkn on November 17, 2008, 06:38:42 am
Gin: Because drinking isn't supposed to be fun, goddamnit.
Title: Re: Gin and...
Post by: Choop on November 17, 2008, 06:58:05 am
three parts gordon's
one part vodka
half a part lillet
twist
Title: Re: Gin and...
Post by: littlefallsmets on November 17, 2008, 07:19:16 am
four parts vodka
one part dry vermouth
twist of lemon

As Alton Brown would say "that's it... walk away".

I... you know, people overthink cocktails so much just to be cute or to prove something.

Walk away.
Title: Re: Gin and...
Post by: miles on November 17, 2008, 07:21:13 am
three parts gordon's
one part vodka
half a part lillet
twist

You want an olive, or you want a twist? Olive, or twist? This is Ketel One, boy!
Title: Re: Gin and...
Post by: Doc on November 17, 2008, 07:58:55 am
three parts gordon's
one part vodka
half a part lillet
twist

Someone's seeing quantum of solace this week?

I don't think I've ever tried gin, even in a coctail. I should put it on my list of things to do. I do know that whenever a member of my family leaves the country they are requried by laws to bring my grandmother back several litres of gordon's. I believe she drinks it with tonic but once an elderly lady reaches a particular level of embalmedness who can say?

Edit: Took me a minute to find but the best thing about gin ever is 3 minutes 30 into this (http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=_DylJn86qEg&NR=1).
Title: Re: Gin and...
Post by: CortJstr on November 17, 2008, 02:14:19 pm
You want an olive, or you want a twist? Olive, or twist? This is Ketel One, boy!

Can'd
Title: Re: Gin and...
Post by: wombat on November 17, 2008, 02:17:14 pm
Gin: Because drinking isn't supposed to be fun, goddamnit.

I thought that was what scotch was for.
Title: Re: Gin and...
Post by: pmcd9 on November 17, 2008, 04:32:28 pm
Juice? (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=czyfws7OLCs)

It makes a man mean (http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b153/DavidMann2097/milk_cheese.jpg)
Title: Re: Gin and...
Post by: Ruta Bagas on November 17, 2008, 04:55:51 pm
I thought that was what scotch was for.

You were tricked. Tricked by someone who wants it all for themselves.
Title: Re: Gin and...
Post by: Choop on November 18, 2008, 03:35:46 am
actually i started drinking vespers a couple months ago after i caught casino royale on one of the movie networks. it sounded good and sweet good goddamn is it ever.
Title: Re: Gin and...
Post by: robot_god on November 18, 2008, 10:37:31 pm
I love gin.  Everyone I know hates gin.  That makes me like it even more.
Title: Re: Gin and...
Post by: lprkn on November 19, 2008, 03:57:41 pm
Always a good situation really, because you can count on nobody drinking your booze.
Title: Re: Gin and...
Post by: side_show on November 19, 2008, 04:40:10 pm
Yes, this is true.  I open the booze cupboard, and there is my gin waiting for me.  No one has gone ahead and drank all my gin.  This situation can not be counted on for say, my vodka.

I do not know any other gin drinkers.  Interesting that so many TOUAMB people are gin drinkers.  Mmmm. Gin.
Title: Re: Gin and...
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on November 19, 2008, 07:34:56 pm
Gin is also the liquor with the greatest variation in tastes across brands. Each one with their own secret recipes and such
Title: Re: Gin and...
Post by: theinevitable on November 19, 2008, 08:47:22 pm
a really large number of my friends like G&Ts, so my gin is not safe.
Title: Re: Gin and...
Post by: jaydub on November 20, 2008, 12:32:10 am
Gin is also the liquor with the greatest variation in tastes across brands. Each one with their own secret recipes and such
I assume you're not including single malt whiskys (sp?) in that generalization.
Title: Re: Gin and...
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on December 19, 2008, 03:54:21 pm
If I drank gin, i'd mix it with soda water and crushed mint leaves and call it a Gin Ricky Ricardo.
Title: Re: Gin and...
Post by: Doc on December 30, 2008, 03:20:53 pm
That actually sounds kind of good. I might have to grab some gin for tomorrow night.
Title: Re: Gin and...
Post by: side_show on January 01, 2009, 08:33:13 pm
Last night I enjoyed fresh, delicious maki sushi along with half a bottle of wine, followed by:

ice
Curacao (smuggled home from the Caribbean last year)
Gin
Lime
Sprite

Garnished with:
a lime-green Swizzle Stick & Hot Pink "Fun" Umbrella

This morning, as I sat here reading TOUAMB, my husband brought me:

Cadbury's Hot Chocolate Mix
Hot Milk
Bailey's Irish Cream Chocolate Mint

topped with:
Whipped Cream
Grated Belgian Chocolate

Decadent!