The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => Wild Card => Topic started by: FeeReep on November 14, 2003, 12:33:41 am

Title: What is the Meatrix?
Post by: FeeReep on November 14, 2003, 12:33:41 am
Enter the Meatrix:
http://www.peta.org/feat/meatrix/
Title: What is the Meatrix?
Post by: andalucia on November 14, 2003, 12:45:37 am
One of my friends sent this one to me...

It sort of makes me cringe, since it reminds me of how when I started being a vegetarian, I was in the Peta Kids demographic, and this puts me in mind of some of their propaganda.  

They still mail me stuff like once a month.
Title: What is the Meatrix?
Post by: jough on November 14, 2003, 03:32:39 am
Man, those animals look delicious.

Wah wah wah.  Animals suffer.  People suffer.  All life is suffering.

Now excuse me while I go eat a veal cutlet in cream sauce (it's even tastier if they use the milk from the mother of the little baby cow, as the genetics match up to a delightful pairing of flavours).
Title: What is the Meatrix?
Post by: FeeReep on November 14, 2003, 04:19:48 am
I was picking out portions of Moopheus that would look tasty on my new grill. Larry giraffeburne, however, looks a little meatier in Revolutions than does his bovine Meatrix counterpart.
Title: What is the Meatrix?
Post by: V-Adore on November 14, 2003, 04:46:59 am
Quote from: "jough"
Now excuse me while I go eat a veal cutlet in cream sauce (it's even tastier if they use the milk from the mother of the little baby cow, as the genetics match up to a delightful pairing of flavours).

Dammit, Jough, now I'm hungry!

Incidentally, it occurs to me: do insects, crustaceans, and other Chitinous Invertebrates of Various Sorts count as "animals" for vegetarianism? I assumed they do, but given as you can argue that the least cruel thing you can do to a shrimp is to kill and eat it...
Title: What is the Meatrix?
Post by: AlohaDawg on November 14, 2003, 04:50:53 am
I don't know if they count for vegetarians, but they definitely do for Sky-Clad Jains.
Title: What is the Meatrix?
Post by: AugustWest on November 14, 2003, 05:24:20 am
One of these days, Jough, you'll astound us all by coming out all weeping and sensitive over some cause or opressed minority or unjustly eaten species.

I guess today is not the day.
Title: What is the Meatrix?
Post by: andalucia on November 14, 2003, 06:06:30 am
That last post worked nicely with your sig.
Title: What is the Meatrix?
Post by: jay-ell on November 14, 2003, 01:39:37 pm
I saw this the other day, and it just grossed me out.  

I'm not a vegetarian, but I do try to cook meatless meals a few times a week to reduce our total familiy meat intake, and I try to buy local, organic and/or free-range products whenever possible.  Of course, my husband has been cooking for me the last week or so because I have a monster research paper due in 2 weeks, so we'll been eating a lot of frozen pizzas, hot dogs, and beefy mac until that's done.  But when I stop working on December 19th, (yay!!) we'll go back to our regular schedule of good, wholesome, square-meal cookin'.
Title: What is the Meatrix?
Post by: CortJstr on November 14, 2003, 01:56:59 pm
Quote from: "V-Adore"
Dammit, Jough, now I'm hungry!

Incidentally, it occurs to me: do insects, crustaceans, and other Chitinous Invertebrates of Various Sorts count as "animals" for vegetarianism? I assumed they do, but given as you can argue that the least cruel thing you can do to a shrimp is to kill and eat it...


Anything that can express feelings of pain is an "animal" I gather. Once we develope lettuce that winces they'll be really screwed.
Title: What is the Meatrix?
Post by: slink on November 14, 2003, 05:16:40 pm
Quote from: "jldunston"
Of course, my husband has been cooking for me the last week or so because I have a monster research paper due in 2 weeks, so we'll been eating a lot of frozen pizzas, hot dogs, and beefy mac until that's done.


Thought we'd been hearing less from the you more recently. Good luck with it!
And it's shocking that he doesn't cook. I can't imagine not cooking. I guess it's mainly because of my fear of pre-made meals. All that reformed meat and shit. If something doesn't taste really good I just don't trust it...
Title: What is the Meatrix?
Post by: jay-ell on November 14, 2003, 06:18:43 pm
Yeah, he doesn't really know how to cook at all.  However, if I give him a recipe he can follow it pretty well.  He makes some hella good spaghetti and last week he made a beef roast and mashed potatoes that were perfect.  He's a very precise cook -- he'd be good at baking. I guess it comes from reading lines of code 8 hours a day every day.   As for me, I don't like to measure -- I just add ingredients 'til it "feels right," usually with some success I might add...
Title: What is the Meatrix?
Post by: slink on November 14, 2003, 07:31:40 pm
Quote from: "jldunston"
He's a very precise cook -- he'd be good at baking. I guess it comes from reading lines of code 8 hours a day every day.   As for me, I don't like to measure -- I just add ingredients 'til it "feels right," usually with some success I might add...


I do both. Some recipes I will follow very precisely. Most of the time I just go wild. Which usually works. Unless I'm cooking for someone, when it doesn't.
I think it gives me escapism from the formal realm of code. Although my structuring has been known to get a little chaotic.
Title: What is the Meatrix?
Post by: AlohaDawg on November 15, 2003, 05:58:57 am
If the destruction of the family hog farm is troubles PETA so much, wouldn't making responsible meat purchases be a better option than vegetarianism?

I LOVE meat.
Title: What is the Meatrix?
Post by: AugustWest on November 15, 2003, 02:00:51 pm
What does PETA have to do with it?
Title: What is the Meatrix?
Post by: CortJstr on November 15, 2003, 05:02:14 pm
My fiancee is essentially a pescotarian but will eat free range chicken and stuff. Since it's much more friendly and human.

In Maryland there are a bunch of chicken farms (mainly Perdue, IIRC) and apparently the run-off is screwing up the Bay which is one of the reason crabs have been so damned expensive lately.
Title: What is the Meatrix?
Post by: andalucia on November 15, 2003, 07:08:36 pm
Quote from: "CortJstr"
My fiancee is essentially a pescotarian but will eat free range chicken and stuff. Since it's much more friendly and human.


Dear god, I hope you mean "humane".
Title: What is the Meatrix?
Post by: slink on November 15, 2003, 07:10:37 pm
Quote from: "andalucia"

Dear god, I hope you mean "humane".


Well, you know what they say in the Philippines.
Title: What is the Meatrix?
Post by: V-Adore on November 15, 2003, 09:12:48 pm
Quote from: "andalucia"
Quote from: "CortJstr"
My fiancee is essentially a pescotarian but will eat free range chicken and stuff. Since it's much more friendly and human.


Dear god, I hope you mean "humane".

"See, our family's traditions in our farm has been to teach the chickens to read, count, and express simple needs in English. We find it makes them significantly more delicious, and the occasional chicken capable of writing poetry fetches high prices at auction. It's one of the joys of the family farm!"
Title: What is the Meatrix?
Post by: AugustWest on November 16, 2003, 03:30:28 am
V, you are a perfectly lovely and hilarious person.