The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Achewood => Achewood => Topic started by: Mr Trout on November 26, 2008, 08:56:21 pm

Title: 26 November 2008 - Working backwards from the Hammacher Schlemmer shoe buffer
Post by: Mr Trout on November 26, 2008, 08:56:21 pm
http://achewood.com/index.php?date=11262008

A pretty good strip, almost worth the wait. It is good to see that this new girl is starting to get a fleshed out character and isn't just a throwaway.

The alt-text does remind me of a favorite joke:

A young man is walking through a small village one day and decides to stop by a bar and have a beer. He walks into a bar, and sees a grizzled old man, crying into his beer. Curious, the young man sits down and says, “Hey old timer, why the long face?”

The old man looks at him and points out the window, “See that dock out there? I built that dock with my own two hands, plank by plank, nail by nail, but do they call me Simon the dockbuilder? No, no."

The old man continued, “And see that ship out there? I’ve been giraffeing these waters for my village for 35 years! but do they call me Simon the giraffeerman? No, no. ”

The old man continued, “And see all the crops in the farms out there? I planted and have been farming those crops for my village for nearly 45 years! but do they call me Simon the farmer? No, no. ”

The old man starts to cry again, “But you fuck one goat…”
Title: Re: 26 November 2008 - Working backwards from the Hammacher Schlemmer shoe buffe
Post by: wombat on November 26, 2008, 09:05:31 pm
You know that thing where you learn a new word and suddenly it's everywhere? I just finished a conversation which included someone explaining to me what sous vide is. And then the first thing I did when I got off the phone was read this strip. Weird.
Title: Re: 26 November 2008 - Working backwards from the Hammacher Schlemmer shoe buffer
Post by: CortJstr on November 26, 2008, 09:23:27 pm
If only she'd been able to predict his tendency to cut himself on sour creme lids it would have been perfect.
Title: Re: 26 November 2008 - Working backwards from the Hammacher Schlemmer shoe buffer
Post by: theinevitable on November 26, 2008, 09:27:18 pm
I liked this one.

I think everyone has been guilty of "i will get with her when my buddy (dies/breaks up with her)"

I do this a lot lately about a certain female, and at this point I basically refuse to feel bad about it.
Title: Re: 26 November 2008 - Working backwards from the Hammacher Schlemmer shoe buffe
Post by: Toaster on November 26, 2008, 09:31:19 pm
When I was eight years old, I wanted that exact same shoe buffer from Hammacher Schlemmer. Today is the first time I have seen one since then, and I now realize that I have never had any shoes that needed buffing, especially not when I was eight. By now I've turned into the kind of person where I would buff my shoes by hand anyway. If I wore those kind of shoes.

Speaking of which, the other day I saw Batman cufflinks, and I said to my dad, "If only I owned a shirt that needed cufflinks."
Title: Re: 26 November 2008 - Working backwards from the Hammacher Schlemmer shoe buffe
Post by: Golfhaus on November 26, 2008, 09:48:11 pm
Speaking of which, the other day I saw Batman cufflinks, and I said to my dad, "If only I owned a shirt that needed cufflinks."

I had this exact same conversation with Mrs. Haus today, only it was concerning these (http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php?ref=sr_gallery_6&listing_id=17835018).
Title: Re: 26 November 2008 - Working backwards from the Hammacher Schlemmer shoe buffer
Post by: Ruta Bagas on November 26, 2008, 10:49:19 pm
I really don't understand why anyone would own cufflinks that were not novelty cufflinks.
Title: Re: 26 November 2008 - Working backwards from the Hammacher Schlemmer shoe buffer
Post by: CortJstr on November 26, 2008, 10:53:12 pm
I really don't understand why anyone would own cufflinks that were not novelty cufflinks.

A friend of a friend only wears french cuff shirts with cufflinks that match his tie. He also wears socks that are the same color as his shirt.
Title: Re: 26 November 2008 - Working backwards from the Hammacher Schlemmer shoe buffer
Post by: littlefallsmets on November 27, 2008, 05:19:55 am
You know, if I heard that someone set up a camera in the bathroom, I wouldn't even think that he was actually into the peein' and the poopin' sexually.

I would just assume that this was the most logical place for genitals to be exposed by people who do not live there.

I guess I'm naive, I suppose.
Title: Re: 26 November 2008 - Working backwards from the Hammacher Schlemmer shoe buffer
Post by: dejavroom on November 27, 2008, 08:02:16 pm
Long time since I last laughed so hard about Achewood. The isolated shoe buffer, conspicuously plugged to the wall, "she is making me Happen to myself", "tomorrow's morning fantasies"... Ray swings it hard.
Title: Re: 26 November 2008 - Working backwards from the Hammacher Schlemmer shoe buffer
Post by: theinevitable on November 28, 2008, 12:08:29 am
my roommate told me recently that he always wanted one of those as a kid.
I feel like maybe I am imagining this, but I had not heard of this concept until recently, when he told me about it.
Title: Re: 26 November 2008 - Working backwards from the Hammacher Schlemmer shoe buffe
Post by: Toaster on November 30, 2008, 08:38:32 pm
OH MY GOD I JUST NOTICED: MOLLY AND POLLY; WHAT THE HELL? Is this a thing?
Title: Re: 26 November 2008 - Working backwards from the Hammacher Schlemmer shoe buffer
Post by: Golfhaus on November 30, 2008, 08:44:04 pm
I came to that realization a few days ago, Toaster. Heavy drinking helps.

Vegas odds on the next semi-regular Achewood female being named Dolly are currently running at 5-2.
Title: Re: 26 November 2008 - Working backwards from the Hammacher Schlemmer shoe buffe
Post by: Toaster on November 30, 2008, 08:50:51 pm
Or Holly.
Title: Re: 26 November 2008 - Working backwards from the Hammacher Schlemmer shoe buffer
Post by: AugustWest on November 30, 2008, 10:28:45 pm
Yeah, since Cholly is already dead and hanging out with Molly's family.
Title: Re: 26 November 2008 - Working backwards from the Hammacher Schlemmer shoe buffe
Post by: Doc on November 30, 2008, 11:50:01 pm
I figured she was halfway between Molly and Penny (http://achewood.com/index.php?date=12192001).
Title: Re: 26 November 2008 - Working backwards from the Hammacher Schlemmer shoe buffer
Post by: pmcd9 on December 03, 2008, 04:31:52 am
Have we lost interest in the strip yet?
Title: Re: 26 November 2008 - Working backwards from the Hammacher Schlemmer shoe buffe
Post by: Doc on December 03, 2008, 05:45:59 am
Do we have a new one yet?
Title: Re: 26 November 2008 - Working backwards from the Hammacher Schlemmer shoe buffer
Post by: KeithHernandez on December 03, 2008, 07:27:59 am
Yes
Title: Re: 26 November 2008 - Working backwards from the Hammacher Schlemmer shoe buffe
Post by: Dexter on December 03, 2008, 12:19:16 pm
Or Holly.
(http://i34.tinypic.com/2uystwh.jpg)