The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => People & Places => Topic started by: wombat on November 27, 2008, 02:08:31 pm

Title: Happy Thanksgiving
Post by: wombat on November 27, 2008, 02:08:31 pm
I am thankful for my imaginary Internet friends.
Title: Re: Happy Thanksgiving
Post by: AugustWest on November 27, 2008, 06:17:50 pm
Me too!  Thanks for just being your imaginary selves.
Title: Re: Happy Thanksgiving
Post by: littlefallsmets on November 27, 2008, 07:01:14 pm
There are definitely worse things to believe in.

Happy happy.
Title: Re: Happy Thanksgiving
Post by: pmcd9 on November 27, 2008, 07:21:02 pm
Thanks.
Title: Re: Happy Thanksgiving
Post by: theinevitable on November 27, 2008, 07:47:26 pm
being home is weird.
I just got in a weirdly intense discussion with my family over whether there is some inherent benefit to putting the forks in the right order. Seriously?

I am thankful to be home, though.
Title: Re: Happy Thanksgiving
Post by: Doc on November 28, 2008, 01:21:42 am
I am thankful for coffee and white chocolate brownies.

I would be slightly more thankful if I got a day off to eat turkey, but lets face it, I've got it pretty good right now.
Title: Re: Happy Thanksgiving
Post by: AugustWest on November 28, 2008, 02:39:33 am
So did anybody else enjoy the Rick-roll during the Macy's Parade this morning? (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FMmQdUbiYKE)
Title: Re: Happy Thanksgiving
Post by: littlefallsmets on November 28, 2008, 02:51:42 am
Yeah, I sat there wondering...

Really, how many people watching the Macy's day parade are going to get that reference?

And how much does that Bloo thing look like a c*ck, as an armless puppet?

I mean, with arms, he is only standard phallic but wow. Without? Wow.
Title: Re: Happy Thanksgiving
Post by: Ruta Bagas on November 28, 2008, 04:07:50 pm
I think it's about time everyone admitted that, deep down, they just want a way to express how much they love Rick Astley without having to come out and say it.
Title: Re: Happy Thanksgiving
Post by: Doc on November 28, 2008, 11:10:44 pm
That xkcd strip that plots meme hilarity against popularity is so relevant right now.
Title: Re: Happy Thanksgiving
Post by: pmcd9 on November 29, 2008, 05:15:13 am
LFM I think basically anyone with a computer gets the reference.  Who among us has not been rick rolled?
Title: Re: Happy Thanksgiving
Post by: theinevitable on November 29, 2008, 05:28:27 am
Actually, I know a lot of people who do not know what the heck a Rick Roll is, or even who Rick Astley is.
Title: Re: Happy Thanksgiving
Post by: littlefallsmets on November 29, 2008, 05:33:22 am
But... isn't the Macys Day parade's core audience young children and older people who are probably only casual internet users, just e-mailing and shopping for shoes or whatever?

Granted, I watched the hell out of it but I'm impossibly nostalgic.
Title: Re: Happy Thanksgiving
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on November 29, 2008, 05:40:29 am
I third the objection to the statement that everyone with a computer knows what a rick roll is. my mom didn't get the joke at all, even when i tried to explain it.
Title: Re: Happy Thanksgiving
Post by: theinevitable on November 29, 2008, 05:55:12 am
I get sad when I realize that some of my friends don't really engage with the internet on a personal level.

The internet is such a good friend.
Title: Re: Happy Thanksgiving
Post by: pmcd9 on November 29, 2008, 06:15:59 am
Ok, I called my mother and she had no idea what a rick roll was.

But then again, she also had no idea about the crickets chirping thing that Hollywood does to indicate a joke falling flat. (We had a lengthy discussion about that here once.  I wanted to link to it, but it can't be found.)

EDIT:  I think that discussion took place somewhere else, out in the real world actually.  Dang it's all starting to blend together.
Title: Re: Happy Thanksgiving
Post by: Doc on November 29, 2008, 07:38:35 am
I asked a friend my age who works at a games company whether she knew what a rick roll was and she didn't. I didn't elaborate so it's possible that she just didn't know the nomenclature but it's equally possible people just don't care about that stuff like we do.

Which, as inev says, is sad.
Title: Re: Happy Thanksgiving
Post by: Choop on November 29, 2008, 08:07:11 am
my missus didn't get the rickroll which disappoints me in that i must feel superior to her in terms of understanding the internet

i had high hopes for her, her google-fu is stronger even than mine



sadly when rick astley came out she went "oh hey rick astley who doesn't love rick astley"

and i am depressed
Title: Re: Happy Thanksgiving
Post by: pmcd9 on November 29, 2008, 03:08:41 pm
I'm sorry Choop, that is depressing.
Title: Re: Happy Thanksgiving
Post by: CortJstr on November 29, 2008, 04:50:48 pm
I still don't get the barrel roll meme from a few months ago. I am, however, ready to stab "epic fail" in the face.
Title: Re: Happy Thanksgiving
Post by: theinevitable on November 29, 2008, 05:07:31 pm
the barrel roll thing is from Starfox 64, it is the best game ever.
Whenever you would be losing health rapidly, Peppy the Hare would tell you to DO A BARREL-ROLL in this very distinctive tone.

My 13 year old sister posted "Epic Fail" on a random facebook picture of mine, so I think it is time to kill that one.
Title: Re: Happy Thanksgiving
Post by: Ruta Bagas on November 29, 2008, 06:00:22 pm
sadly when rick astley came out she went "oh hey rick astley who doesn't love rick astley"

and i am depressed

I'm sorry to have to tell you this, but she's in the right here.
Title: Re: Happy Thanksgiving
Post by: side_show on November 30, 2008, 11:30:49 pm
On a vaguely related note, I did the "Peanut Butter Jelly Time" dance for a child under three a few days ago while I was in a parka, toque and wearing ice cleats.  Kid thought it was the funniest damn thing he'd ever seen, and was singing along within seconds.  That was when I realized there was some level of good in all those memes. 
Title: Re: Happy Thanksgiving
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on December 01, 2008, 02:28:39 am
I am thankful for our county's public school system, the Phillies' World Series championship, and Flickr.

And for my family and stuff, sure.  And you knuckleheads.
Title: Re: Happy Thanksgiving
Post by: jaydub on December 01, 2008, 06:57:58 pm
I did the "Peanut Butter Jelly Time" dance ... while I was in a parka, toque and wearing ice cleats.   

The exact situation for which YouTube was created - but I suppose the moment will have to live only in your memory and the child's.
Title: Re: Happy Thanksgiving
Post by: Ruta Bagas on December 01, 2008, 09:54:18 pm
One day you will be able to upload things directly from your memory to the internet.

Shortly afterwards you will be able to do the same with the memories of children in your care.

Soon we will all assume we have the right to view each others' memories on the internet without restriction.

It's a slippery slope.
Title: Re: Happy Thanksgiving
Post by: Ben-San on December 02, 2008, 12:32:48 pm
One time I was looking through a friend's folder of paper samples; he's kind of into handmade paper and he wanted to show me some of the stuff he'd made. Between the samples were separator sheets of regular paper.

After the last sample was a final separator sheet which had Rick Astley's face printed up top, with the lyrics to "Never Gonna Give You Up" underneath.

Fucker rickrolled me in realspace with his paper samples. The kicker is that he's deaf.
Title: Re: Happy Thanksgiving
Post by: CortJstr on December 02, 2008, 02:22:16 pm
One time I was looking through a friend's folder of paper samples; he's kind of into handmade paper and he wanted to show me some of the stuff he'd made. Between the samples were separator sheets of regular paper.

After the last sample was a final separator sheet which had Rick Astley's face printed up top, with the lyrics to "Never Gonna Give You Up" underneath.

Fucker rickrolled me in realspace with his paper samples. The kicker is that he's deaf.

That gets a can by proxy
Title: Re: Happy Thanksgiving
Post by: AugustWest on December 03, 2008, 02:56:04 am
That gets a can by proxy

Yes.  Yes it does.  You get a can for having cool friends.