The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => Science & Nature => Topic started by: CortJstr on November 29, 2008, 04:53:18 pm

Title: Help scanning
Post by: CortJstr on November 29, 2008, 04:53:18 pm
At my parents house I came across my old photo album. So I decided to scan in some pictures, which I've never actually done before. And they look like shit. Really, really grainy. Now I know a bunch of these were taken with disposable cameras, but I can't believe how bad the scans are. Is there something I'm doing wrong?
Title: Re: Help scanning
Post by: pmcd9 on November 29, 2008, 05:14:33 pm
Scanners vary wildly in their quality of scan.
Title: Re: Help scanning
Post by: AugustWest on November 29, 2008, 06:47:48 pm
Are you using the highest quality setting -- I guess the most dots per inch?
Title: Re: Help scanning
Post by: CortJstr on November 30, 2008, 12:40:27 am
Scanners vary wildly in their quality of scan.

I think this is the issue. I'm using an HP all-in-one. Increasing the DPI just seems to make it worse, not better. I think the kiosks might be my best bet. I've used them in the past and never had grain issues. I know there are places that will scan the negatives and give you back super-good images, but that seems overkill considering I'm probably just going to stick them on Facebook.
Title: Re: Help scanning
Post by: lprkn on November 30, 2008, 02:32:29 am
But I know, dude. Walgreens.

I liked their "Welcome to Perfect" ad campaign from a while back, but never enough to, you know, actually go to their store.
Title: Re: Help scanning
Post by: pmcd9 on November 30, 2008, 02:38:01 am
I've used Walgreens.  They don't suck.  Well sometimes you have to point out to the drones which is their ass and which is the hole in the ground, but you know that's pretty much anywhere these days.
Title: Re: Help scanning
Post by: Lister on November 30, 2008, 09:40:06 pm
Another option is to scan at the highest resolution/dpi possible so you get some huge 4000x3000 file, correct scratches/devil eyes at that resolution, then shrink it down to something more manageable.  The shrinking process hides flaws really well.  I did this with some rolls where I'd used 400 speed in situations where 400 was the absolute worst speed possible, and got them to look decent.
Title: Re: Help scanning
Post by: CortJstr on November 30, 2008, 10:30:32 pm
Here's a sample pic to show how bad it is:

http://www.cortjstr.com/images/scanned_pic.jpg
Title: Re: Help scanning
Post by: side_show on November 30, 2008, 11:25:38 pm
See I can't help you, but that picture is so sweet.  A moment past, never to be re-lived.  Awe.
Title: Re: Help scanning
Post by: pmcd9 on December 01, 2008, 04:46:38 am
Cute Kids.