The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => Arts & Entertainment => Topic started by: lprkn on December 06, 2008, 05:33:01 am

Title: Chandni Chowk to China (Hong Kong by way of Bollywood)
Post by: lprkn on December 06, 2008, 05:33:01 am
So, this movie (http://www.apple.com/trailers/wb/chandnichowktochina/) looks like it could be entertaining. Or at least different.
Title: Re: Chandni Chowk to China (Hong Kong by way of Bollywood)
Post by: littlefallsmets on December 06, 2008, 06:19:41 am
So...

Is this like where supposedly black folk are allowed to throw around the n-word amoungst each other?

Indians can be astonishingly racist against the Chinese because they're all Asians?

I mean, astonishingly. I don't know how you could get more racist against the Chinese than that picture.

Maybe you could but someone would quickly kill you for doing it. That is as racist as you can get without being murdered.
Title: Re: Chandni Chowk to China (Hong Kong by way of Bollywood)
Post by: theinevitable on December 06, 2008, 05:55:14 pm
I think it is more of a thing where... outside of the US, people just do not give a shit.

Also, the chinese are the most racist people in the world. They've done studies.
Title: Re: Chandni Chowk to China (Hong Kong by way of Bollywood)
Post by: jaydub on December 06, 2008, 06:43:35 pm
I would say that the level to which we in North America attempt to overcome ethnocentrism is another indicator of American Exceptionalism.

 ;)
Title: Re: Chandni Chowk to China (Hong Kong by way of Bollywood)
Post by: Doc on December 08, 2008, 11:00:55 am
I think I'll keep an eye on it. It's giving my a kung fu hustle kind of vibe, the kind of action comedy we don't get over here as much. I like the bit about three quarters through the trailer where they're flying over the city on very obvious wires. Also Gordon Lieu. That makes it a pretty easy sell.

Also 'smets if you're judging it just from the poster I think the idea is a stupid indian guy trying to look chinese not an actual depiction of what chinese people look like, I'm pretty sure that's the lead actor under there.