The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board
Trivial Pursuits => Wild Card => Topic started by: pmcd9 on December 11, 2008, 06:47:09 am
-
I'm talking about us, TOUAMB. I think we're on about our third wave of regulars in here. There's a few of us originals still around, but not many. A lot of the second wave has gone away too. There's no point to this post really, just reminiscing. How many original day one board members are still here posting as regulars?
Signify here. Everyone else, when did you join the fun?
-
I'm still around, in my limited fashion. Which usually consists of complaining about music once or twice a year and then just lurking around.
Weird mental tidbit: I was tidying up the backyard when out of nowhere I found myself thinking about andalucia and that painting of Son House she did for you and what the hell ever happened to her?
-
I continue to feel like "The Oldest of the New Guys" around here but... that's basically how I always feel on messageboards.
A symptom of my tendency toward first-blush stridency, I'm sure, and the way that sometimes comes off as funny and sometimes as dickish.
(And the way I never seem to understand the difference until retrospection kicks in.)
Someday I'll figure out impulse control, I fuckin' swear.
-
Yeah, you're definitely a third waver Mike, but that's cool. I wasn't trying to create a divide. It's just, we've been doing this for a long time now and we've been through a lot of changes.
-
Oh, I wasn't offended or anything.
Just sorta... delineating.
-
I don't miss the dumbrella at all, I can tell you that much. If you weren't there, it was certainly a thing, but this is so much better right here. Thanks to all of you folks for being such a cool gang. I guess I kind of drifted off like 2 years ago, which would have been the end of the 2nd wave. When I came back a few months ago there were all these new names and not many old ones left - but you've only added to the community, from what I've seen. A belated welcome to those of you I haven't really met yet.
-
I started at the same time as like, Misterqueue. My profile says 2005, but I had been lurking before that and could not register because of some sort of stupid thing where I registered and then my password wouldn't work and so my email was supposedly in use and everything was horrible.
-
I remember when you joined Dan. I kinda introduced you to the board by starting a cryptic thread (http://touamb.com/index.php/topic,2264.0.html) about reaching the inevitable. I was just referring to you joining the board, but everyone thought I was referring to some terrible thing that had happened in my life.
-
When I saw the title I just assumed this thread would be about feminism. I was a little off.
Sometimes I wish the similar message board from my teen-years would spontaneously reform. It was pretty cool, plus it had prizes.
I remember lurking at Dumbrella for a while because I felt like Onstad had a lot of unwritten rules and I didn't want to get threads locked or me booted or anything. Plus, and this is funny, I was amazed at how the other posters could always link to the old strips so quickly whenever they came up in conversation when I barely remembered them at all.
-
When I saw the title I just assumed this thread would be about feminism. I was a little off.
Give it time.
-
I dunno what wave I am. November 2003 registration apparently which is longer than I thought.
Also I sort of assumed this thread would be about that one social experiment where a high school teacher supposedly recycled Third Reich propaganda techniques into a club at his school as an "it can happen here" kind of thing.
-
I remember that book. We had to rewrite the ending of it in 7th grade english.
-
I registered in July of 2004. Not sure where that places me, although it certainly doesn't seem like I've been reading Achewood that long.
-
1st wave present. One time I met Paul. That was cool.
-
I've still never gotten over being cross that I registered for the board almost the instant it was possible and yet I still ended up on the second page of the members list.
-
Man, wombat is so lame that her member number is 50.
Burn!
-
I guess the Dumbrella-ites are the true original wave, but I wasn't really thinking about that. I was on the Dumbrella board, but not for long. I lurked for a little while, maybe a week or so and had made maybe 10-20 post when Onstad pulled the plug. So about a month I am guessing.
Ben, I don't know where you fall in. You're like Ringo I guess. You joined the band when we were recording our first record. Hmm, not sure I like that analogy. That would make Dumbrella the salad days, the Hamburg years as it were, and now... were doing a career retrospective. What's next. someone gonna write a TOUAMB tell all memoir?
I know, lets get the original group back together for a reunion tour. Someone get Slink and Vadore on the phone.
-
I've always liked how this place is basically a celebration of the strip while being very realistic about the creator of said strip.
Too much conflation of artist and art in internet fandom. Becomes strangely political, strangely ideological. To call the creator(s) out for being weird or not always pleasant or inconsistent or whatever is treated like the dereliction of some point, a rejection of some basic tenet of the community and... that's entirely unhealthy.
I love a lot of Lou Reed's music but I'm fairly certain that he'd be a tremendous asshole to know socially and that's okay.
Maybe its just that as the internet message board subculture evolves, we're evolving more toward places like this?
Or maybe it's just that as the people who were getting on the internet in the middle nineties as teenagers and early twenty somethings shift to true adulthood and even start getting dragged toward early middle age, the more complicated attitudes of that age are simply reflected?
Probably more the second than the first.
-
Dunno, LFM, a lot of us here on this board were already past being teenagers and early twentysomethings in the middle nineties. I think you may exaggerate how much the entire internet reflects your own personal development?
As the official keeper of the Missing Onstad Locking Down Threads flame, it is my responsibility to our collective history to remind the whippersnappers that a big part of the inspiration for this board was that CO always cut us off whenever the thread wandered off the topic of of the strip under discussion. This is why the wandering thread topic is a special point of pride. Just having all those forums on other subjects on the board was an act of collective rebellion.
-
I dunno... I have looked back at some old posts on this board, and there are a lot where they got LOK'D right when they were getting interesting.
-
Day 1 old school, you newb pukes.
-
I joined four years ago next week, which seems like a long time. Makes sense though, 2004 was my second year of uni where I spent all the time an energy I could being distracted by things on the internet rather than studying.
I remember when Bozack posted regularly but I never saw Bea post until she started coming back sporadically. For that matter I never saw JL post for ages after I joined. I remember misterqueue joining and wishing I'd put that much effort into being a newb because he pulled it off really well. I also remember initially getting inev and A-CAP confused a lot. Which seems odd now.
-
TO DRIFT AWAY
FROM TALK OF RAY
THIS THREAD IS LOCKED
IS HOW THAT'S PLAYED
**LOCK'D** **BURMA SHAV'D**
FTFY
-
I lurked before I joined, and kept lurking before I posted. I do that with unfamiliar people, so I know where to go with conversation.
It doesn't work so well with parties, though. Everyone's gone before I figure them out.
-
Maybe that is why parties are funner for me from like 2-4am. I always thought it was cause the riff raff went home.
-
oh by the way i think i saw bozack on metafilter a couple months back. i'd have said something then but there wasn't really cause, and besides i'm not sure it was quite the right username. It resembled his original, though.
-
Maybe that is why parties are funner for me from like 2-4am. I always thought it was cause the riff raff went home.
This is my experience also. I kind of figured it was that the people who stick it out by then are fairly easy going or drunk/stoned enough to appear that way. Just one of those things.
-
Oh yeah, for sure what I was saying, though the becoming more familiar with the norms of the place help to.
-
I'm talking about us, TOUAMB. I think we're on about our third wave of regulars in here. There's a few of us originals still around, but not many. A lot of the second wave has gone away too. There's no point to this post really, just reminiscing. How many original day one board members are still here posting as regulars?
Signify here. Everyone else, when did you join the fun?
I think I get unique distinction in that, after Dumbrella shut down, I didn't know about this board, and it was actually Onstad who told me about it on AIM.