The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => Arts & Entertainment => Topic started by: pmcd9 on December 12, 2008, 06:02:14 am

Title: A Page has Turned
Post by: pmcd9 on December 12, 2008, 06:02:14 am
Bettie Page (http://www.latimes.com/news/obituaries/la-me-page12-2008dec12,0,5310709.story?page=1) has passed away.
Title: Re: A Page has Turned
Post by: Doc on December 12, 2008, 11:51:44 am
Someone told me yesterday that she was still alive and I was surprised. Guess I win that argument? I'm going to go look up some kinky porn in her memory.
Title: Re: A Page has Turned
Post by: KeithHernandez on December 12, 2008, 12:07:09 pm
Wait, what?  Who is this?
Title: Re: A Page has Turned
Post by: CortJstr on December 12, 2008, 02:17:32 pm
I have a Bettie Page pill case in my man-purse. I, too, thought she was already dead.
Title: Re: A Page has Turned
Post by: littlefallsmets on December 12, 2008, 04:33:34 pm
The only poor thing to be said of Ms. Page was something that really wasn't her fault.

She inspired generations of women to wear completely ugly bangs that made them look like butchered Barbie dolls.

It looked good on her, it looks good on a very small subset of women who are good-looking but have long foreheads...

And on everybody else. Yeah. Yeah.
Title: Re: A Page has Turned
Post by: pmcd9 on December 12, 2008, 04:43:05 pm
Really?  You think Bettie Page is responsible for women wearing bangs?  Maybe the small subset of women who are into Bettie Page, but until recent times most people have never heard of her.
Title: Re: A Page has Turned
Post by: wombat on December 12, 2008, 04:58:47 pm
I never heard of her till this very moment. Reading the link, it seems like most of the people who knew who she was might have been, like, male?

I agree though that most people should not wear bangs.
Title: Re: A Page has Turned
Post by: CortJstr on December 12, 2008, 05:04:07 pm
I never heard of her till this very moment. Reading the link, it seems like most of the people who knew who she was might have been, like, male?

I agree though that most people should not wear bangs.

Really? Wow. The SO and I agreed that when we finally move to a building that allows pets we'd name our cats Bettie and Page.
Title: Re: A Page has Turned
Post by: littlefallsmets on December 12, 2008, 05:10:00 pm
Those particular kinds of bangs? I certainly think he's the archetypal image of them, yes.

I certainly think that to people within a half-deviation of "my generation" whatever the hell that means, she is the lasting image of that kind of terrible haircut.

I certainly think that gothy girls look at pictures of her getting spanked by weirdos, see that she is hot and confuse it for her haircut being hot.

I believe these things, yes. Certainly not the originator but definitely the one who bore that water for the last few decades.
Title: Re: A Page has Turned
Post by: pmcd9 on December 12, 2008, 05:57:47 pm
Ya see, I could never place Uma Thurman as being very hot.  She's just too damn skinny.
Title: Re: A Page has Turned
Post by: theinevitable on December 12, 2008, 07:43:59 pm
LFM is right that she is the originator of vaguely punky/gothy girls thinking that bangs are hot. I know several of those types who are just ALL about her in a way that is really weird and inexplicable.

I am normally not so into the bangs, but when they are good they are good.
Title: Re: A Page has Turned
Post by: lprkn on December 13, 2008, 01:13:50 am
...and when they are bad, they are horrid.
Title: Re: A Page has Turned
Post by: AugustWest on December 13, 2008, 01:50:13 am
You guys are talking about Bettie Page's hairstyle?  Really?

Fags.