The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => Arts & Entertainment => Topic started by: pmcd9 on December 16, 2008, 06:08:38 am

Title: Delgo
Post by: pmcd9 on December 16, 2008, 06:08:38 am
Worst Opening Ever (http://movies.yahoo.com/feature/delgo-worst-opening-ever.html).

I have never heard of this movie.  I watched the trailer it looks pretty good.  Or rather it looks like something that a lot of people would like.

So what's the deal, was it blackballed because it's independent?  It seems unlikely to me I would be completely in the dark on this if it had been promoted properly.
Title: Re: Delgo
Post by: littlefallsmets on December 16, 2008, 06:27:25 am
I would chalk it up to the whole "horribly creepy real-unrealness of the characters".

I mean, Real Dolls look like nightmares too but at least they're nightmares you can fuck.
Title: Re: Delgo
Post by: pmcd9 on December 16, 2008, 06:41:38 am
Nah, that doesn't make any sense.  If that were the case Shrek would have tanked.
Title: Re: Delgo
Post by: littlefallsmets on December 16, 2008, 07:32:20 am
I think there's an exact level of realness that causes sensible men to recoil in horror.

Shrek was more dumb-looking than terrifying. Delgo seems to pin it exactly.

Plus, just for me, it reminds me of how confoundingly terrible Carlos Delgado was the first half of last season.
Title: Re: Delgo
Post by: theinevitable on December 16, 2008, 07:42:59 am
"the uncanny valley."

yeah, this looks pretty visually unpleasant.
Title: Re: Delgo
Post by: JorgeFabregas on December 16, 2008, 10:46:18 pm
My impression is that it did not have the marketing to match the scope of its distribution.
Title: Re: Delgo
Post by: AugustWest on December 17, 2008, 03:30:30 am
Yeah, I don't get uncanny valley, I get "I never heard of it, what the fuck is it?"
Title: Re: Delgo
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on December 17, 2008, 04:33:36 am
I have never heard of this movie before this thread.   To release a movie on that many screens and have it be completely unknown takes a very special kind of non-effort.
Title: Re: Delgo
Post by: littlefallsmets on December 17, 2008, 05:13:24 am
Or having the completely ridiculous business plan of putting a shitload of money into making a movie without having any marketing budget in case no one (or no one of any consequence) picks it up for distribution. Yeah, that too, but the idea of an uncanny valley violation is just more poetic.
Title: Re: Delgo
Post by: theinevitable on December 17, 2008, 06:11:43 am
if you keep clicking on things, it is a story about how that is basically what happened.