The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board
Trivial Pursuits => Arts & Entertainment => Topic started by: Carlos del Vaca on December 22, 2008, 09:09:02 pm
-
That is the title of my 2008 year-end mix CD, which you can (and should) download MP3s of here:
ftp.bigfool.com
user name: bigfoo_guest
password: roxorz
Previous years' entries still out there.
Liner notes and cover art to come. Track listing, because Cort will ask for it:
01 The National - Mistaken For Strangers.mp3
02 The Heavenly States - Lost in the Light.mp3
03 Passion Pit - Sleepyhead.mp3
04 Q-Tip - Gettin Up.mp3
05 They Might Be Giants - The Cap'm.mp3
06 TMBG - Triops Has Three Eyes.mp3
07 Minus The Bear - Knights.mp3
08 The Bell - I Am History.mp3
09 Clearlake - No Kind of Life.mp3
10 Amusement Parks On Fire - Venus In Cancer.mp3
11 Broken Social Scene Presents Brendan Canning - Churches Under The Stairs.mp3
12 British Sea Power - Waving Flags.mp3
13 The Stills - Gender Bombs.mp3
14 The Black Keys - Stack Shot Billy.mp3
15 Kings of Leon - Black Thumbnail.mp3
16 The Gaslight Anthem - the 59 Sound.mp3
17 The Twilight Sad - Mapped By What Surrounded Them.mp3
18 Jose Gonzalez - Teardrop.mp3
19 The Avett Brothers - The Weight of Lies.mp3
20 The Avett Brothers - Salvation Song.mp3
-
Will download later tonight.
-
Anything that leads with a national track has got to be good!
-
Just skimming the titles, this is the first of your mixes where I didn't already have at least one track.
-
Thanks, Mayor!
-
Downloaded, will burn to disc and listen in the car. Haven't heard very much from any of the groups you listed, except TMBG and the Avett Brothers (I'm seeing them the night before New Year's! Yayy! They are from my hometown!)
Can this be the place I do what I've been wanting to do, and post my year-end radio show? I think it can. Right?
Best songs/artists of 2008 (except maybe there would be some repeat artists, and a few things I edited out for time):
Sorry that some of these are hella overplayed/overhyped, but they are what I liked.
Vampire Weekend-- Cape Cod Kwassa Kwassa (http://www.ezarchive.com/show/wmlkoch/VampireWeekendCapeCodKwassaKwassa.mp3)
Thao Nguyen and the Get Down Stay Down-- Swimming Pools (http://awmusic.ca/files/Thao%20Nguyen%20-%20Swimming%20Pools.mp3)
Vivian Girls-- Tell the World (http://s3.amazonaws.com/downloads.pitchforkmedia.com/Vivian%20Girls%20-%20Tell%20The%20World.mp3)
The Muslims-- Grinding Halt (cure cover) (cannot find their version, imagine the original (http://earfarm.com/music/03%20Grinding%20Halt.mp3) but kind of...different. modern?)
(the muslim's really great original is "Extinction (http://passionweiss.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/05/extinction.mp3)")
White Denim-- Let's Talk About It (http://passionweiss.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/12/01-lets-talk-about-it.mp3)
She & Him-- I was made for you (http://www.tsururadio.com/music/best08/06%20She%20And%20Him%20-%20I%20Was%20Made%20For%20You.mp3)
Pattern is Movement-- Trolley Friend--- For some reason I cannot find this mp3 anywhere. Will keep looking.
The Acorn-- Flood pt 1 (http://sonnyvenice.phpnet.org/musique/michto%20mu/12%202008/02%20Flood%20Pt.1.mp3)
Bon Iver-- Skinny Love (http://www.box.net/shared/static/uiy71gn5ov.mp3)
Chad VanGaalen-- Willow Tree (http://www.herohill.com/Willow%20Tree.mp3)
Women-- Black Rice (http://www.herohill.com/MP3/04%20BLACK%20RICE.mp3)
French Miami-- Goddamn Best (http://aolradio.podcast.aol.com/aolmusic/mp3s/FrenchMiami-TheGodDamnBest.mp3)
No Age-- Teen Creeps (http://subpop.com/assets/audio/4708.mp3)
or the whole radio show, um... PM me your email if you want me to send it to you with "yousendit"
I am sorry that maybe everything on this list fits into one of two categories. And both of them involve "you know, like those bands dan likes from the 80s and 90s."
-
I could go a copy of that Inev, you've got my e-mail I think?
-
ok-- I am on a limit for how many files I can send with my free account, so I will wait a day or so in case any other brave souls want to hear an hour of my charming voice talking about how Zooey Deschanel is SO PRETTY and SO TALENTED, and No Age rock SO HARD etc.
At one point, also, I started singing along off-key and didn't realize the mic was still on for a few seconds.
-
Daniel loves every She.
-
talking about how Zooey Deschanel is SO PRETTY and SO TALENTED, and No Age rock SO HARD etc.
I've never agreed with anyone more, on both points. Well, at least that No Age rock and that Zooey's pretty. Wasn't crazy about her record.
Vampire Weekend is one of those bands that I avoided for so long and then picked it up like 3 weeks ago, and you know, it's not bad.
-
Wow, you guys have like, taste and stuff. If I put up a mix it'd just be a lot of variations of metal and a bunch of stuff that didn't even come out this year.
-
Yeah, somehow I think that if I was going to put together a mix tape for this year with songs from Coldplay and GNR and Byrne/Eno on it, I would basically guarantee that every person would hate at least one of those three tracks. Oh God, throw in Ben Folds, you know. There would be no thematic to it, no style, no unification, just a bunch of things that I like that vaguely fall under the banner of "rock".
I would be bad at this.
-
There is no right or wrong to a mix tape/CD. Just put what YOU want on it. If other's don't like it, tough shit for them.
-
Well, yes and no.
While you want it to be all stuff you like, you do sort of want the metaphorical rug to tie the metaphorical room together. Metaphorically.
I would probably do great mix-things, if I understood how to technically these days with the mp3s and the ftps and the FBI and the CIA and the BBC BB King and Doris Day, under certain situations don't get me wrong... I basically organize a short-hand "soundtrack" for any long form writing I work on and could do a killer "Last Songs" mix-disc of the last songs on the last legitimate records of bands/performers/iterations-of-bands... "the songs of a year" I would just have trouble finding the rug to piece it together.
...metaphorically.
-
with the mp3s and the ftps and the FBI and the CIA and the BBC BB King and Doris Day
Heh, I dig it.
-
Yeah, somehow I think that if I was going to put together a mix tape for this year with songs from Coldplay and GNR and Byrne/Eno on it, I would basically guarantee that every person would hate at least one of those three tracks. Oh God, throw in Ben Folds, you know. There would be no thematic to it, no style, no unification, just a bunch of things that I like that vaguely fall under the banner of "rock".
I would be bad at this.
Any list I made right now would have 96 Tears as at least every other song.
-
Any list I made right now would have 96 Tears as at least every other song.
My wife won't trust any CD I make for her right now, as she is positive I will sneak "Surfin' Bird" onto it somewhere.
-
Haha, I listened to the Cramps version of that tonight.
-
I spoke too soon, I didn't notice the song from The Else at first.
Vampire Weekend and She & Him both fall into the broad category of bands I've only heard of because they were eMusic's free daily download. I did end up getting the full album for both of them, though.
I just remembered that I already have some songs uploaded from this summer that I never shared here. If I was at home I'd swap out the MC Frontalot song (which was an in-joke at the time. It's not his best song) for Count It Off (feat. The Muscle Shoals Horns) by The Saturday Knights.
For some reason I'm all about The Saturday Knights lately. Has anybody else even heard of them?
http://www.cortjstr.com/partay/
-
man, this Slate year-end music thing is really bumming me out. They seem insistent on talking about "pop music" while they obviously realize that Pop Music is not a monolith the way they want it to be. So pretentious it's incompetent. They try to argue that people like Auto-Tune because we spend so much time on computers that everything is getting all computer-y, and don't the kids these days just love computers and want to do everything with computers?
I am trying to remember which Sonic Youth song used to be called "I Killed Christgau with my Big fuck*ng Dick."
-
I was actually interviewed by Christgau at CMJ in 1991. Can't remember what we talked about, and none of my interview made it into his final article about the conference. Oh well.
-
Oh man even as a Slate devotee I can attest to how much their music coverage sucks. It sucks hard.