The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => Sports & Leisure => Topic started by: Bobby Isosceles on December 25, 2008, 12:23:08 am

Title: I made haggis. Fuck you.
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on December 25, 2008, 12:23:08 am
To quote Jough: "It is a thing of beauty." (http://chiaroscu.ro/haggis/)


I made it from scratch, I ate it, it was tasty (and fairly bland), so there.

Lessons learned:
- adding a little garlic to the recipe always helps
- on that note, sriracha makes everything better
- the stomach has a bit of a schmaltzy smell while boiling (goes away after its done); best cooked outdoors or with open windows
- food grade Iodophor is FANTASTIC for cleaning stomachs
- halal or kosher butchers for the win
- caramelize the onions beforehand for sweeter flaver
- OH GOD THE HAGGIS FARTS
Title: Re: I made haggis. Fuck you.
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on December 25, 2008, 01:38:37 am
Dude.

I totally would have eaten this with you.

SCOTLAAAAAAAAAAAAND
Title: Re: I made haggis. Fuck you.
Post by: wombat on December 25, 2008, 02:12:06 am
Thank you for not inviting me over.

This was a noble project and I always thought I might want to try this dish, but the photos have changed my mind. In fact, the last couple are apparently so horrible that the computer is refusing to display them.
Title: Re: I made haggis. Fuck you.
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on December 25, 2008, 02:20:55 am
It does kind of look like a crime scene, no?

I'll be making it again for Burns Night. After that who knows. I might be convinced to go to another Achewood meetup if I can foist my haggis on people.
Title: Re: I made haggis. Fuck you.
Post by: AugustWest on December 25, 2008, 02:25:08 am
I'll be making it again for Burns Night.

Excellent.
Title: Re: I made haggis. Fuck you.
Post by: jough on December 25, 2008, 02:29:41 am
Man, I need to stitch me up some cow innards.

You also need to take photos of you shoveling some of that stuff into your gaping maw.
Title: Re: I made haggis. Fuck you.
Post by: pmcd9 on December 25, 2008, 04:42:20 am
You also need to take photos of you shoveling some of that stuff into your gaping maw.

You took the words out of my mouth (a place haggis shall never visit).

My reaction to the thought of haggis is somewhat like this (http://achewood.com/index.php?date=10262001).
Title: Re: I made haggis. Fuck you.
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on December 25, 2008, 04:58:00 am
- on that note, sriracha makes everything better

Fact. Most flavorless college food and microwaveables benefit tremendously from some sriracha.
Title: Re: I made haggis. Fuck you.
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on December 25, 2008, 01:39:17 pm
Excellent.

The irony is I'm not scottish in any way, shape or form. My father in law is from Scotland (Paisley). He won't touch the stuff. He, on the other hand, loves kimchee, which I won't even think of without dry heaves.
Title: Re: I made haggis. Fuck you.
Post by: Drygioni on January 21, 2009, 02:18:12 am
I am Scottish (ethnically) and don't mind haggis. My dad's family are proper Scottish so every Burn's night is haggis and bagpipe time.

Funnily enough no-one really seems to like it, it's just a thing you like 'cause it's the thing Scottish people eat. Like kippers and marmalade.
Title: Re: I made haggis. Fuck you.
Post by: lprkn on January 21, 2009, 02:46:26 am
kippers and marmalade.

ewewew
Title: Re: I made haggis. Fuck you.
Post by: Choop on January 21, 2009, 08:38:07 am
Nooooo!
Title: Re: I made haggis. Fuck you.
Post by: pmcd9 on January 21, 2009, 07:52:53 pm
Or the Jews and gefilte giraffe (http://www.flickr.com/photos/pmcd9/2425817148/).
Title: Re: I made haggis. Fuck you.
Post by: jaydub on January 21, 2009, 11:43:03 pm
Or the Scandanavians and lutefisk.  My grandmother would open a tin of that and clear the house.  Plus chewing the cartilage off chicken leg bones.  Times these days may seem tough - but the hoard-y mega-frugality of those who lived through the Great Depression hints to me that it was far tougher then.
Title: Re: I made haggis. Fuck you.
Post by: herofix on May 12, 2009, 10:34:02 pm
Quote
Funnily enough no-one really seems to like it

This is so wrong.  Lots of people like haggis a lot, including YT.  Haggis is tres delicious, yo.
Title: Re: I made haggis. Fuck you.
Post by: Ben-San on May 18, 2009, 03:53:49 pm
Or the Jews and gefilte giraffe (http://www.flickr.com/photos/pmcd9/2425817148/).

Gefilte giraffe is okay once in a while.