The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board
Trivial Pursuits => History => Topic started by: pmcd9 on December 31, 2008, 01:15:34 am
-
Who died this year that you care about?
For me, let's see...
Michael Debakey mostly because he's from Houston.
Paul Newman is one of my favorite actors.
Bettie Page because she was wise enough to go away and never return.
Who else died? I don't even know.
-
http://www.whosdatedwho.com/celebrities/people/list/celebrity-categories.asp?FD=yod&ID=2008
George Carlin, Isaac Hayes.
-
Oh yeah, George Carlin, yeah.
And Bo Diddley.
Damn, Mitch Mitchell too.
Rick Wright from Pink Floyd? Did we have a thead for that here? I'm in the dark about people dying this year.
-
Rick Wright from Pink Floyd? Did we have a thead for that here? I'm in the dark about people dying this year.
We did (http://touamb.com/index.php/topic,4649.0.html).
-
Harold Pinter just passed away last week - brilliant playwright. One of my all-time favorites, and definitely influential on my own work.
Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn died this summer - "One Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich" is a favorite book of mine, as is "Cancer Ward." I'm always enamored with writers who take such huge personal risks for their work.
Stan Winston did the effects on Edward Scissorhands, which I watch every Christmas and is one of my favorite films.
Paul Newman was great in Cat on a Hot Tin Roof, I think when I saw this film, it was the first time I understood that a man could be beautiful. I also remember seeing an interview of him with his wife Joanne Woodward - I think it was a Barbara Walters Special, and being touched by the way they clearly, truly loved one another, and realizing it was possible to love someone in the long term, in a deep and honest way.
Health Ledger was, to me, mind blowing in the Dark Knight and as good as the hype, and I also think he was lovely in Broke Back Mountain.
Estelle Getty - I just always liked her as Sofia. I think she was a brilliant actress.
Charlton Heston - not a fan, but damn if Planet of the Apes didn't blow my mind as a kid.
Anthony Minghella - directed The English Patient, which is one of my all time favorites, as well as The Talented Mr. Ripley and Cold Mountain, both of which I still greatly enjoy.
-
Arthur C. Clarke I'm not so much a fan of his work as I am a fan of Stanley Kurbick's work, but...
I saw the Omega Man when I was about 8 years old and it scared the shit out of me.
(http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0067525/)