The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Achewood => Achewood => Topic started by: starlight on November 17, 2003, 11:00:58 am

Title: Otter afraid of dying 11/17
Post by: starlight on November 17, 2003, 11:00:58 am
Poor Philippe!

He's steering with his mouth :\
Title: Otter afraid of dying 11/17
Post by: AugustWest on November 17, 2003, 02:21:25 pm
And turning the key with his wingtips.

I didn't know that otters wore wingtips.
Title: Otter afraid of dying 11/17
Post by: elfbabe on November 17, 2003, 02:24:57 pm
I wonder how he's pressing the gas pedal.
Title: Otter afraid of dying 11/17
Post by: Steve Hogan on November 17, 2003, 02:25:49 pm
Will Nice Pete be more pissed that he got left in the rain or because his steering wheel will be full of chomp marks?
Title: Otter afraid of dying 11/17
Post by: Paisley on November 17, 2003, 02:28:40 pm
Quote from: "AugustWest"
I didn't know that otters wore wingtips.


Not just wingtips, but wingtip boots.

As for pressing on the gas pedal ... maybe he's using the cruise control?

Yikes, what a pickle, to not have the use of your hands in an Econoline van. I hope he doesn't crash into Ray's Escalade, because that would just be all kinds of bad.
Title: Otter afraid of dying 11/17
Post by: CortJstr on November 17, 2003, 03:36:43 pm
Quote from: "AugustWest"
And turning the key with his wingtips.

I didn't know that otters wore wingtips.


If you were a giant bee what kind of footwear would you have? Of course the answer is wingtips.
Now if he was a giant wasp he'd probably be barefoot but would need a frighteningly snazzy hat. Because as we all know nothing comes between a bee and his shoes and wasps love haberdashery.
Title: Otter afraid of dying 11/17
Post by: jough on November 17, 2003, 04:03:49 pm
Third week now.  I love how drawn-out this storyline is.  I'm glad I'm reading it daily as it goes and not all in five minutes through the archives.  It's much more suspenceful when you can't just click the "Next" link to see what happens.

I wonder if this will be the longest storyline yet.  I know Ray and Beef's road trip was pretty long (since it tied-in with the subway wars) and Teador's party thread was pretty long.

Does anyone know what the longest storyline was?

Have I just done something bad to someone by asking that?
Title: Pukkita
Post by: Gimpson on November 17, 2003, 04:12:18 pm
In Friday's strip I thought that the "Pukkita Pukkita Pukkita" was the idling of Nice Pete's van, but then Phillipe had to start it first thing today.  

So was the "Pukkita" the rain on the roof of the van?  Nice Pete's approaching footsteps?
Title: Re: Pukkita
Post by: V-Adore on November 17, 2003, 04:16:18 pm
Quote from: "Gimpson"
In Friday's strip I thought that the "Pukkita Pukkita Pukkita" was the idling of Nice Pete's van, but then Phillipe had to start it first thing today.

My take on it is that the van didn't start immediately -- the "pukkita pukkita pukkita" was the engine coming to life, far too slow for Philippe's liking.

Today's winning visual detail: the meticulously-drawn wingtip. Who would have guessed?
Title: Otter afraid of dying 11/17
Post by: AlohaDawg on November 17, 2003, 05:06:19 pm
Yeah, I took the Pukkita sound as the starter running but the engine didn't turn over.
Title: Otter afraid of dying 11/17
Post by: Noah on November 17, 2003, 05:42:07 pm
Philippe has experience (http://achewood.com/index.php?date=11302001).
Title: Otter afraid of dying 11/17
Post by: sjlimmer on November 17, 2003, 05:45:29 pm
I didn't know that one could kick-start an Econoline van.



And I apologize for that stupid comment.
Title: Otter afraid of dying 11/17
Post by: AugustWest on November 17, 2003, 06:45:06 pm
Did the Pukkitta - Pukkitta - Pukkitta make anybody else think of Walter Mitty?  Or was it just me?
Title: Otter afraid of dying 11/17
Post by: andalucia on November 17, 2003, 09:03:46 pm
Not just you!
Title: Otter afraid of dying 11/17
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on November 17, 2003, 10:41:17 pm
Quote from: "jough"
Third week now.  I love how drawn-out this storyline is.  I'm glad I'm reading it daily as it goes and not all in five minutes through the archives.  It's much more suspenceful when you can't just click the "Next" link to see what happens.

I wonder if this will be the longest storyline yet.  I know Ray and Beef's road trip was pretty long (since it tied-in with the subway wars) and Teador's party thread was pretty long.

Does anyone know what the longest storyline was?

Have I just done something bad to someone by asking that?


Longest storyline:

Devil sells Ray the ability to make music. He becomes a super star and becomes super rich. They end up going on the town in the car from Peel Out Summer and meet Roast Beef's brother Showbiz. They get drunk after Showbiz runs off and do Notorious L.I.N.C.O.L.N. On the way back they want Subway. (AT this point this merges with another storyline, it is your call whether the merged storyline counts as one, but they do it with the Nile River, so I think it counts for storylines in Achewood) Pat is a real dick with Subway, but Vlad decides to cause trouble. Vlad gets Pat so mad he steals Tic Tac and shoots Roast Beef. Beef goes to heaven and meets Molly. Ray kills Doctor Kisses the AIBO from the musical virtuoso storyline and brings him back to life. Vlad springs Pat and Pat and Pete come to achewood.

At this point it totally diverges from past events for a few strips.
Title: Otter afraid of dying 11/17
Post by: MSC on November 17, 2003, 11:26:53 pm
Phillipe     1
Murderer  0
Title: Otter afraid of dying 11/17
Post by: wombat on November 18, 2003, 12:01:21 am
I think it is only right to compare Achewood story lines to the mighty Nile.
Title: Otter afraid of dying 11/17
Post by: sammyjankis on November 18, 2003, 12:49:40 am
Quote
Not just wingtips, but wingtip boots.


With a cuban heel.  A crepe sole in these circumstances may not be the most resiliant but I imagine it's traction against stainless steel when turning ignition keys would be invaluable.

Let's just hope Phillipe can slow down before he collides with Ray's truck.  Just think how deep the bite marks would be when he sees that monster-vehicle looming towards him. :(
Title: Otter afraid of dying 11/17
Post by: Mantonio on November 18, 2003, 04:01:00 am
Let's just hope Phillipe can slow down before he collides with Ray's truck.  Just think how deep the bite marks would be when he sees that monster-vehicle looming towards him. :([/quote]

I don't think anyone has to worry about Philippe colliding with Ray.  Beef, on the other hand, really ought to spend less time worrying about impossible Tetris problems and more time watching out for a van driven by a five year old otter steering with his mouth.  Philippe may be okay in the event of such a crash, but not so Beef.  On the plus side, Beef may just get to try out some of those extra long condoms pretty soon.
Title: Otter afraid of dying 11/17
Post by: Steve Hogan on November 18, 2003, 09:34:14 pm
You'd think that at least heaven would be STD free.
Title: Otter afraid of dying 11/17
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on November 19, 2003, 01:08:29 am
Quote from: "Steve Hogan"
You'd think that at least heaven would be STD free.


If you impregnate someone in heaven, does the baby come out in the real world stillborn?
Title: Otter afraid of dying 11/17
Post by: jay-ell on November 19, 2003, 01:26:19 am
Quote from: "Bobby Isosceles"
If you impregnate someone in heaven, does the baby come out in the real world stillborn?


*weeps*
Title: Otter afraid of dying 11/17
Post by: andalucia on November 19, 2003, 01:29:34 am
Quote from: "Bobby Isosceles"
If you impregnate someone in heaven, does the baby come out in the real world stillborn?


Shazam, most depressing comment ever.
Title: Otter afraid of dying 11/17
Post by: AugustWest on November 19, 2003, 01:29:40 am
Quote from: "Bobby Isosceles"

If you impregnate someone in heaven, does the baby come out in the real world stillborn?


*ponders*
Title: Otter afraid of dying 11/17
Post by: jough on November 19, 2003, 01:30:34 am
Bobby Isosceles, what's the saddest thing?
Title: Otter afraid of dying 11/17
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on November 19, 2003, 01:57:21 am
Quote from: "jough"
Bobby Isosceles, what's the saddest thing?


Getting blood all over your clown su --- wait a minute....
Title: Otter afraid of dying 11/17
Post by: jough on November 19, 2003, 02:04:34 am
(http://achewood.plagiarist.com/images/stillborn.gif)
Title: Otter afraid of dying 11/17
Post by: FeeReep on November 19, 2003, 02:05:17 am
Quote
SUGE KNIGHT


You're right, Bobby. That probably is the saddest thing.
Title: Otter afraid of dying 11/17
Post by: V-Adore on November 19, 2003, 02:10:52 am
Wow, I leave the board and I come back to this. WE CAN'T HAVE NICE THINGS.

Anyway, the correct answer to the question is that Beef and Molly's child in heaven would be a beautiful angel of pure light and goodness and would, in the inevitable horrible fan fiction, be made to fall in love with Philippe and Ultra Peanut's child.
Title: Otter afraid of dying 11/17
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on November 19, 2003, 02:12:20 am
Quote from: "jough"
(http://achewood.plagiarist.com/images/stillborn.gif)


CREDIT THE MASTER!
Title: Otter afraid of dying 11/17
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on November 19, 2003, 02:13:53 am
Quote from: "FeeReep"
Quote
SUGE KNIGHT


You're right, Bobby. That probably is the saddest thing.

no, http://www.bobbyisosceles.com/songs/suge.mp3 is the saddest thing.
Title: Otter afraid of dying 11/17
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on November 19, 2003, 02:15:09 am
Quote from: "V-Adore"
Wow, I leave the board and I come back to this. WE CAN'T HAVE NICE THINGS.

Anyway, the correct answer to the question is that Beef and Molly's child in heaven would be a beautiful angel of pure light and goodness and would, in the inevitable horrible fan fiction, be made to fall in love with Philippe and Ultra Peanut's child.


Not denying that the child would be pure light and goodness. Just saying the corresponding baby body pops out partially decayed and bloated out of Ultra Peanut.
Title: Otter afraid of dying 11/17
Post by: V-Adore on November 19, 2003, 02:21:13 am
(Not quoted because... yeah.)

God, Bobby, you're just a fountain of joy and wonder. Ew.
Title: Otter afraid of dying 11/17
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on November 19, 2003, 02:23:42 am
Quote from: "V-Adore"
(Not quoted because... yeah.)

God, Bobby, you're just a fountain of joy and wonder. Ew.


Say what you will, but jackals, vultures, and carrion beetles need to eat something.

You'd make a bad Zoroastrian.
Title: Otter afraid of dying 11/17
Post by: V-Adore on November 19, 2003, 02:25:48 am
Quote from: "Bobby Isosceles"
You'd make a bad Zoroastrian.

This may be the best insult that's ever been thrown at me. I'm honestly tempted to make it my .sig.
Title: Otter afraid of dying 11/17
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on November 19, 2003, 02:27:49 am
Quote from: "V-Adore"
Quote from: "Bobby Isosceles"
You'd make a bad Zoroastrian.

This may be the best insult that's ever been thrown at me. I'm honestly tempted to make it my .sig.


Be my guest. :)

I have Avesta'd interest in seeing more Zoroastianism.
Title: Otter afraid of dying 11/17
Post by: wombat on November 19, 2003, 02:39:45 am
I don't know what the saddest thing is but the scariest thing is Bobby Isoceles' avatar.  On the assumption that it is a self-portrait, I take back everything I ever said about being willing to get together with all you guys from the DC area.
Title: Otter afraid of dying 11/17
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on November 19, 2003, 02:42:35 am
Quote from: "wombat"
I don't know what the saddest thing is but the scariest thing is Bobby Isoceles' avatar.  On the assumption that it is a self-portrait, I take back everything I ever said about being willing to get together with all you guys from the DC area.


That's not a self-portrait. That's my friend Joe.

This is a self portrait:

(http://www.failuretothrive.org/birthday/images/DSCF0003_JPG.jpg)
Title: Otter afraid of dying 11/17
Post by: andalucia on November 19, 2003, 02:54:24 am
Wow.

Also, I must say your friend Joe looks eerily like a friend of mine.
Title: Otter afraid of dying 11/17
Post by: CortJstr on November 19, 2003, 03:02:29 am
Quote from: "wombat"
get together with all you guys from the DC area.


When: Tuesday December 30, 2003

Where: 9:30 Club

Who: Acheheads

Why: They Might Be Giants

How: Metro or car. I leave this up to you.

Or the 28th at the Recher.
Title: Otter afraid of dying 11/17
Post by: V-Adore on November 19, 2003, 04:46:31 am
Quote from: "CortJstr"
Quote from: "wombat"
get together with all you guys from the DC area.


When: Tuesday December 30, 2003

Where: 9:30 Club

Who: Acheheads

Why: They Might Be Giants

Oh, god, and I'll be in Nebraska... bah!
Title: Otter afraid of dying 11/17
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on November 19, 2003, 12:00:00 pm
Quote from: "CortJstr"
Quote from: "wombat"
get together with all you guys from the DC area.


When: Tuesday December 30, 2003

Where: 9:30 Club

Who: Acheheads

Why: They Might Be Giants

How: Metro or car. I leave this up to you.

Or the 28th at the Recher.


Pass. But thanks for the offer.
Title: Otter afraid of dying 11/17
Post by: wombat on November 19, 2003, 05:28:00 pm
I think it is clear that I will seriously consider this invitation and then chicken out and not go.  I will stay home and play one of their CDs in your honor though.

I'm still willing to show some armadillos and naked mole rats to anyone who wants to come to the zoo, though.  Come on, people.  They're NAKED.
Title: Otter afraid of dying 11/17
Post by: slink on November 19, 2003, 07:20:44 pm
Quote from: "wombat"

I'm still willing to show some armadillos and naked mole rats to anyone who wants to come to the zoo, though.  Come on, people.  They're NAKED.


Naked armadillos! I'm there!
I have a strange love for armadillos.
Title: Otter afraid of dying 11/17
Post by: jay-ell on November 19, 2003, 07:48:28 pm
Quote from: "wombat"
I'm still willing to show some armadillos and naked mole rats to anyone who wants to come to the zoo, though.  Come on, people.  They're NAKED.


I will be in DC in March for a wedding.  I would love to come see some nudist mole rats!  I'll let you know when the date gets closer...

Anybody up for going with me?  I know, March is too far in the future...
Title: Otter afraid of dying 11/17
Post by: AlohaDawg on November 19, 2003, 08:09:35 pm
I think a Naked Zoo would be just the thing. Those animals deserve a chance to watch us walk around, take a dump or get our bone on.
Title: Otter afraid of dying 11/17
Post by: V-Adore on November 19, 2003, 08:56:26 pm
My despair is palpable. So close... and yet so far, so very far... aaagh! Eventually I'm just gonna hitch a ride to DC or something, just to come see the naked mole rats. (mmmm, naked.)
Title: Otter afraid of dying 11/17
Post by: wombat on November 19, 2003, 09:10:18 pm
In the meantime youall can look at the webcam.  LIVE NAKED mole rats.

http://natzoo.si.edu/Animals/AfricanSavanna/
Title: Otter afraid of dying 11/17
Post by: sjlimmer on November 19, 2003, 10:20:54 pm
Quote from: "wombat"
In the meantime youall can look at the webcam.  LIVE NAKED mole rats.


Advertising nude webcams...what has this mesage board come to?
Title: Otter afraid of dying 11/17
Post by: CortJstr on November 19, 2003, 11:04:20 pm
Quote from: "wombat"
I think it is clear that I will seriously consider this invitation and then chicken out and not go.  I will stay home and play one of their CDs in your honor though.

I'm still willing to show some armadillos and naked mole rats to anyone who wants to come to the zoo, though.  Come on, people.  They're NAKED.


C'mon! twenty measily american dollars to see the Johns and the Dans live and in person? How is there even a decision?
Title: Otter afraid of dying 11/17
Post by: wombat on November 20, 2003, 01:14:00 am
Quote from: "CortJstr"

C'mon! twenty measily american dollars to see the Johns and the Dans live and in person? How is there even a decision?


Well, partly I am just too old and uncool to go to anything called a club.  But also there's the problem that I might have to work the next day (although I never know my schedule this far in advance) and I have to get up at 5.15 am to play with those naked mole rats.

And anyway just because I once met some people from an internet webcomic messageboard and they didn't murder me, doesn't mean my luck won't run out this time.
Title: Otter afraid of dying 11/17
Post by: CortJstr on November 20, 2003, 01:25:09 am
It's TMBG! It's one of those concerts where the parents take their kids because the parents want to see them also. Plus the 9:30 isn't really a "club"

I'm seeing them at the Recher on that Sunday, driving over an hour home, going to work the next day. Seeing them the 30th, going to work the next day, then going out that night.
Title: Otter afraid of dying 11/17
Post by: jough on November 20, 2003, 01:30:38 am
I'm sure if we all got together someone would get murdered.  The only other thing I know for sure is that that person would not be me.

Speaking of getting murdered, does anyone know of anything cool to do in New York city at 4AM - or even a better question - is anyone here in the city and wouldn't mind getting their bend-on?
Title: Otter afraid of dying 11/17
Post by: wombat on November 20, 2003, 02:14:50 am
Quote from: "CortJstr"
I'm seeing them at the Recher on that Sunday, driving over an hour home, going to work the next day. Seeing them the 30th, going to work the next day, then going out that night.


You, sir, are clearly at least a decade younger and less tired than I.  And a bigger fan (I just have two or three of their CDs, chosen randomly or for reasons like 'giant squid picture on the cover.')

But if it's actually safe for children to go there, I'll think about it.
Title: Otter afraid of dying 11/17
Post by: andalucia on November 20, 2003, 02:18:25 am
I hate my life... if TMBG played in my province, I'd sell my soul or at least my watch to go...






who am i kidding, i dont own a watch...
Title: Otter afraid of dying 11/17
Post by: slink on November 20, 2003, 03:20:47 am
Quote from: "andalucia"
I hate my life... if TMBG played in my province, I'd sell my soul or at least my watch to go...

who am i kidding, i dont own a watch...


As would I. Despite not having listened to anything by them since about 1993.
And I don't own a watch either. Oh no, I do, I was given one again, but my cell has a clock, so it's easier than remembering two things.
And I wouldn't give that away to see TMBG 'cause I'd get billed for some fuckers calls.
Title: Otter afraid of dying 11/17
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on November 20, 2003, 12:07:02 pm
Quote from: "CortJstr"
It's TMBG! It's one of those concerts where the parents take their kids because the parents want to see them also. Plus the 9:30 isn't really a "club"


Which is one reason not to go. I already had my hands full managing this one. (http://www.chiaroscuro-dc.com)
Title: Otter afraid of dying 11/17
Post by: AlohaDawg on November 28, 2003, 06:45:28 am
Quote from: "wombat"
In the meantime youall can look at the webcam.  LIVE NAKED mole rats.

http://natzoo.si.edu/Animals/AfricanSavanna/


Improbably, I stumbled upon a novel about Naked Mole Rats. I have no idea what this means.

Naked Mole Rats Book (http://www.atlas-games.com/product_tables/AG2701.html)

Enjoy.