The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board
Trivial Pursuits => Sports & Leisure => Topic started by: Doc on January 02, 2009, 06:54:37 pm
-
Does anyone have any experience with these 'Moka Express (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moka_pot)' style coffee makers?
I've started drinking a lot more coffee at work in the last couple of years and would like to be able to get a decent fix at home as well. I tried a plunger for a while but couldn't get a decent brew out of it and I don't really have the cash or the inclination to have a big old espresso machine taking up my limited kitchen space. So are these things any good?
-
They make pretty tasty stuff, in my very limited experience. I had a cheap crappy one and it did pleasant enough coffee until the seal went and wasn't properly replaceable because it was cheap and crappy; my brother-and-sister-in-law-to-be gave me a better one (one of the Bialettis) for Christmas but I haven't tried it out yet. Maybe I'll give it a spin this afternoon.
I don't know how you managed not to make deliciousness in a cafetière, though.
-
That's what a lot of people have been telling me, I'm wondering if it was the beans I was using. I tried a couple of different types but they were from the same place so maybe I'll source some more and try it again. There is something awesomely archaic about the stove top type though.
-
Archaic indeed - I didn't know what you were talking about from the name but clicking on the picture was a real childhood flashback. I never drank anything made from it, but every Italian-American kitchen in the Bronx had one.
-
Did you use boiling water, or slightly cooler? If it's too hot it'll scald the coffee and you will weep gently into your cup.
-
Boiling! I was always taught that as close to boiling as possible is the best way to make tea and I assumed (foolishly) that this transferred to coffee.
Now I'm definitely going to have to retry this, everything I knew was a lie.
-
Just tried out my new moka pot and the results were delicious.
Also, I was having a Google to see if the scalding thing was a myth that had seemed to succeed through the power of suggestion, and found advice that there's no need to let cafetière coffee brew for long at all, just stir and plunge to avoid the bitterness of overextraction. I've yet to try it. Maybe I'll make some, plunge, and then deplunge and let it brew for a bit to do a side-by-side tasting extravaganza. Or maybe I'll do my dissertation.
-
Or maybe I'll do my dissertation.
That's crazy talk. Your imaginary friends want to know need to know are mildly interested in knowing what you discover.