The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => Arts & Entertainment => Topic started by: theinevitable on January 06, 2009, 06:31:44 pm

Title: Ron Asheton
Post by: theinevitable on January 06, 2009, 06:31:44 pm
Guitarist for the Stooges, a huge part of the origin of punk rock, died today.

His guitar parts are often very simple, but I can never play them right.

I was very fond of telling people that this was the greatest rock song ever when I was 16. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zjmLsSs0xDY)

And this scene uses another one of the wonderful songs this man played on. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x0yucFw3qCQ)

Electric white boy blues.
Title: Re: Ron Asheton
Post by: miles on January 07, 2009, 04:51:17 am
I was very fond of telling people that this was the greatest rock song ever when I was 16. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zjmLsSs0xDY)

And then you heard this song (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VN7qDlwQ7Bs), right?

I think my heart's explodin'! That riff!
Title: Re: Ron Asheton
Post by: theinevitable on January 07, 2009, 05:21:33 am
oh, yeah. so good.

twat vision.
Title: Re: Ron Asheton
Post by: littlefallsmets on January 07, 2009, 05:33:08 am
I've tried and tried to understand the appeal of punk.

Tried and tried and tried.

I just keep asking myself:

"Why can't they learn their fuck*ng instruments? They have lots of money and time, they could completely learn now at least."
Title: Re: Ron Asheton
Post by: theinevitable on January 07, 2009, 05:57:35 am
See, there is a big difference between "I do not know how to play my instrument" and "I am playing a song with simple chords and minimal lead, because I am fuck*ng awesome and this song is awesome and ROCK MUSIC."

I mean, most AC/DC songs do not have such complex main parts, until the solo. Most Led Zeppelin songs do not have such complex main parts, until the solo. Especially when it's the Stooges and not, like, Minor Threat, I do not understand what is so hard to get.

Most songs in the Great American Songbook don't have complex guitar parts. Just a few chords and some singing. I don't get why a complicated guitar part is necessary, or why not having one means you don't know your instrument.

Obviously it is OK if you do not like what I like, I am sorry if I am consistently a dick about this. But the whole "punks don't know how to play their instruments" thing frustrates me.
Title: Re: Ron Asheton
Post by: littlefallsmets on January 07, 2009, 06:31:32 am
But, see, that's even worse.

If you COULD play all kinds of crazy awesome stuff, why WOULDN'T you? Like I say, I was raised on my dad's prog-rock records and I found my way through my own generation's stuff through Axl Rose and the Smashing Pumpkins going further and further nuts with synthesizers and budgets for sessions with orchestras.

I don't know what to tell you. The B-side of Abbey Road is the piece of art I would put up to the aliens as my evidence that mankind might be worth saving.

I wants a wall of sound. I ain't impressed unless you can throw all sorts of shit at me and bonus points if its coherent.
Title: Re: Ron Asheton
Post by: theinevitable on January 07, 2009, 06:39:23 am
ok.