The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => Arts & Entertainment => Topic started by: Mite on November 17, 2003, 11:01:22 pm

Title: Who's up for a CD chain?
Post by: Mite on November 17, 2003, 11:01:22 pm
Now, it's been awhile since I've done this (i.e. cd-r burners were just coming out so we made tapes), but in a previous internet life a whole bunch of friends and I started a tape ring. Everybody makes a mix tape/CD and sends it to the next person on the ring. Person listens for a week and passes it to the next person until everything gets lost in the mail (as was the result of my previous ring). It was a lot of fun and we all got exposed to some awesome music.

Who's in?
Title: Who's up for a CD chain?
Post by: jough on November 17, 2003, 11:35:06 pm
I'm definitely in, although of course it would mean revealing the location of the bat cave to you people.  I may have to acquire a P.O. Box just for the occasion.
Title: Who's up for a CD chain?
Post by: wombat on November 18, 2003, 12:03:49 am
Here I am all having to sell my house because Jough 'accidentally' got my address, and he's getting a PO box.  Life is not fair.
Title: Who's up for a CD chain?
Post by: AlohaDawg on November 18, 2003, 12:09:52 am
I would feel sorry for everyone in order when they were forced to listen to my shitty mixes. But I'm game to hear everyone elses....
Title: Who's up for a CD chain?
Post by: V-Adore on November 18, 2003, 12:22:48 am
I'd be game, although I'd probably have to borrow a friend's non-crappy CD burner, as mine hates me. But shit, I live in a dorm -- it's not as if "hey, is it okay if I use your CD burner for a second?" is even mildly a problem.
Title: Who's up for a CD chain?
Post by: CortJstr on November 18, 2003, 12:49:40 am
I tried this on Dumbrella but Neil G. is a moron and didn't read at all and thought he was supposed to keep all the CDs we sent him. Jackass.

But I'd be game here if people would actually complete the ring.
Title: Who's up for a CD chain?
Post by: andalucia on November 18, 2003, 01:23:02 am
I'm for certain in.

As long as whoever's before me doesn't mind mailing to Canada.
Title: Who's up for a CD chain?
Post by: wombat on November 18, 2003, 01:28:11 am
At the end, after everyone who has made a CD has listened to everyone else's, could you pass them on to people who are too pathetically uncool to make a CD, so they can listen to them?  After all, we, um I mean they, need them more than anyone.
Title: Who's up for a CD chain?
Post by: Choop on November 18, 2003, 04:53:15 am
IN. Totally.


Work address, people. Have it shipped to where you work.
Title: Who's up for a CD chain?
Post by: AugustWest on November 18, 2003, 05:46:47 am
Well, I'll play.

Although I must warn you that the entries on my mix tape (mix CD?) will be so pathetically outdated that they will only appeal to Slink (and maybe Jough).  If you're willing to listen to what I've got to burn, bring it on!
Title: Who's up for a CD chain?
Post by: Limmo on November 18, 2003, 06:33:44 am
Yeah.  I'm down.

I just feel bad for whoever's forced to hear my retrograde, unhip, one-step-removed-from-standard-classic-rock tendencies.
Title: Who's up for a CD chain?
Post by: AlohaDawg on November 18, 2003, 07:10:42 am
I don't feel so bad about subjecting people to my weird old junk after reading the last few posts.

Thanks for bringing me out my funk, you old farts.
Title: Who's up for a CD chain?
Post by: FeeReep on November 18, 2003, 07:12:25 am
I have been praised for my mixed-taping ablilities (though by persons not as musically literate/tragically hip as you all) and I am in. Bitchin' idea.

I will also be happy to send a copy to you, Mite,  because you are so gosh darn special. Also, sorry about your house.
Title: Who's up for a CD chain?
Post by: Mite on November 18, 2003, 11:17:04 am
Alright folks, here's the deal. PM me by the end of the week with your address (or the location of the nearest hollow stump to your secret hideout), and this weekend I'll figure out who's sending what to whom.
Title: Who's up for a CD chain?
Post by: pmcd9 on November 18, 2003, 02:05:58 pm
I'm not interested in having my musical taste subjected to this groups assinine ridicule.

~Paul
Title: Who's up for a CD chain?
Post by: CortJstr on November 18, 2003, 02:20:06 pm
So are we doing one big-ass ring or a couple smaller ones? And is this the kind where everybody makes little notes in the liner notes so when the creator gets it back they have all sorts of fun things to read?
Title: Who's up for a CD chain?
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on November 18, 2003, 02:20:25 pm
A chain sounds like a bit of a hassle.  I prefer the CD exchange, in which you send your mix CD to three or five or however many people, and (theoretically anyway) get the same number back from other random partici#####.

Of course, the last time I did this within an online community, I sent my five CDs and got all of TWO in return.
Title: Who's up for a CD chain?
Post by: AugustWest on November 18, 2003, 02:50:09 pm
Quote from: "pmcd9"
I'm not interested in having my musical taste subjected to this groups assinine ridicule.

~Paul


Oh, come on!  After all, we'll assininely ridicule you anyhow.

You big dummy.
Title: Who's up for a CD chain?
Post by: sjlimmer on November 18, 2003, 06:13:57 pm
Normally when I send mix CDs to people, I get squat in return.  This will be an interesting change of pace.

That is, if trying to come up with only one CD doesn't make my brain explode instead.  Maybe I'll only do bands with a prime number of letters in their names....

God I need help.
Title: Who's up for a CD chain?
Post by: jough on November 18, 2003, 07:06:44 pm
Quote from: "Choopernickel"

Work address, people. Have it shipped to where you work.


I work at home. Or sometimes in the park.  Or in this cute little cafe while eating a cucumber sandwich and drinking an italian soda with CUNT and cream.

God, that sounded so fuck*ng gay.  Mea culpa.

Anyway, I'm just saying.
Title: Who's up for a CD chain?
Post by: side_show on November 18, 2003, 07:22:53 pm
Quote from: "jough"
...in this cute little cafe while eating a cucumber sandwich and drinking an italian soda with CUNT and cream.


Jesus, a pink drink and a cumcumber sandwich - which I must assume has the crust cut off....

Are you sure poetry isn't just for sissies after all?
Title: Who's up for a CD chain?
Post by: jough on November 18, 2003, 07:36:02 pm
Quote from: "Smells"
Jesus, a pink drink and a cumcumber sandwich - which I must assume has the crust cut off....

Are you sure poetry isn't just for sissies after all?


No, crust on - and on nice hearty wheat bread.

Of course, usually I like semi-raw red meat.  They just don't serve it at this nice cafe that provides wireless internet access for free.
Title: Who's up for a CD chain?
Post by: PinkStainlessTail on November 18, 2003, 08:00:56 pm
I am very in.
Title: Who's up for a CD chain?
Post by: andalucia on November 18, 2003, 09:07:14 pm
Yeah, I actually agree with Carlos on the format.  I've been in mixswaps with one central person who sends a copy of everyone's disk to everyone else, and some that are just in pairs, and both of those worked well, but this seems kinda freaky.  I'm still in no matter what though, I'm too big of a music geek to pass this up.
Title: Who's up for a CD chain?
Post by: V-Adore on November 18, 2003, 09:08:10 pm
A pre-warning to those in the chain: my mix CD thing will likely involve gigantic disgusting amounts of They Might Be Giants. And quite possibly some Moxy Fruvous, Thomas Dolby, and other nerdcore artists. REPRESENT.
Title: Who's up for a CD chain?
Post by: CortJstr on November 18, 2003, 09:12:05 pm
Hey, I'm seeing TMBG on the 28th and 30th of next month so it's not like I'm really going to notice.

And I'm totally going to drop some Mary Prankster and Fidel on you people. And maybe, if you're lucky, a little something from Phat Blues Records.

Word.
Title: Who's up for a CD chain?
Post by: andalucia on November 18, 2003, 09:13:20 pm
Represent that, V-Adore.  It'll probably end up overlapping with my pale scrawny indie-rocker mix.
Title: Who's up for a CD chain?
Post by: jough on November 18, 2003, 09:13:20 pm
So there's about 15 people in?

And we'd have to send the disc on to the next person in the list 15 times?

I'm sure someone will break the chain.
Title: Who's up for a CD chain?
Post by: V-Adore on November 18, 2003, 09:13:41 pm
Incidentally, on format: I'm willing to go with this method, but in my mind it lacks a bit of something because we each only get a week for each other's music; it has the advantage that we're not actually being scurvy music pirates (arrr), but I'd like to think that, if it's something we like, we'd all drop for the CD anyway.
Title: Who's up for a CD chain?
Post by: CortJstr on November 18, 2003, 09:33:18 pm
I guess the implication with the ring version is that if you like the CD you would copy it. Or at least rip the tracks you liked.

Things could be broken up, as well. Like 3 rings of 5. Because even if we did a flat exchange would we all want to send out 15 copies?

[Edit: This is my first post as Cornelius Bear. I feel quite dapper but less skilled at making out.]
Title: Who's up for a CD chain?
Post by: Choop on November 18, 2003, 11:07:01 pm
Quote from: "jough"
Quote from: "Choopernickel"

Work address, people. Have it shipped to where you work.


I work at home. <etc> Anyway, I'm just saying.


jough, you *have* to know by now that I don't consider you "people." At least, not when addressing the board as "people." You'll always be El Guapo to me.
Title: Who's up for a CD chain?
Post by: FeeReep on November 18, 2003, 11:28:18 pm
Someone break down the method again. The last chain I broke caused my girlfriend's hair to fall out and my grandma died, so I surely do not want a repeat of that. I've only got one grandma left!
Title: Who's up for a CD chain?
Post by: Mite on November 18, 2003, 11:59:07 pm
The method is up for a vote over in another thread (http://achewood.plagiarist.com/viewtopic.php?t=483). Note: I expect all discussion to strictly adhere to Robert's Rules of Order.
Title: Who's up for a CD chain?
Post by: AlohaDawg on November 19, 2003, 12:53:18 am
Quote from: "Smells"
Quote from: "jough"
...in this cute little cafe while eating a cucumber sandwich and drinking an italian soda with CUNT and cream.


Jesus, a pink drink and a cumcumber sandwich - which I must assume has the crust cut off....

Are you sure poetry isn't just for sissies after all?


I think it's a sort of an Oscar Wilde kind of thing. You go Jough! Suffer the slings and arrows of misplaced homophobia for your art!

PS I just noticed this and now I don't know if it's a typo or what...

A CUM-CUMBER sandwich??? I guess you hope there is no crust involved....
Title: Who's up for a CD chain?
Post by: jough on November 19, 2003, 01:16:25 am
Actually, I said cucumber.  It was Smells that wrote "cumcumber."

So you can see where HER mind is.
Title: Who's up for a CD chain?
Post by: andalucia on November 19, 2003, 01:34:42 am
Yeah, that's a little gay.
Title: Who's up for a CD chain?
Post by: Choop on November 19, 2003, 03:33:18 am
Hey, no worries about shipping costs, I got the Postage Paid account number for AOL CDs. I'll PM it to everybody after the thread is locked, guaranteed*.








* not guaranteed
Title: Who's up for a CD chain?
Post by: pmcd9 on November 21, 2003, 09:14:03 pm
What's the status of this thing.  Is it a go or no?

~Paul
Title: Who's up for a CD chain?
Post by: FeeReep on November 22, 2003, 12:53:38 am
Yeah, I've got a CD at the ready now, unless we're gonna do specific themes. Most of the songs on mine remind me of  Achewood characters, but it was unintentional until I got about 3/4 of the way through. Funny.
Title: Who's up for a CD chain?
Post by: V-Adore on November 22, 2003, 01:38:20 am
I have a vague theme now -- "Achewood-type songs." Will probably assemble the CD ASAP.
Title: Who's up for a CD chain?
Post by: AlohaDawg on November 22, 2003, 01:49:02 am
None of the songs I have in my mind really remind me much of achewood...but I guess that, in some sense, anytime you select a bunch of songs to put one CD, you have some kind of theme going whether it's conscious or not...
Title: Who's up for a CD chain?
Post by: slink on November 28, 2003, 05:17:51 pm
Gah.
Well, I just did my mix for you guys, and all in all, for my first mix in a good few months, I was qute happy with it.
Only, my damn nForce chipset has fucked it up. It appears it can't handle full duplex, i.e. can't play and record at the same time, so every second song sounds all fucked up.
I will retry installing the third soundcard later, see if I can get it to not destroy my computer (damn driver clashes), and thus get the mix to sound right, and possibly change a coupla tracks around, since there were a couple of slightly rushed decisions, like when I realised I only had 20 minutes left and about another hour planned! If only you could fill a CD with 2 hours of CDDA, since most of my mixes come out at about that length. Easier than a 4 hour night I tell you!

Anyway, just wanted to rant...
Title: Who's up for a CD chain?
Post by: AlohaDawg on November 28, 2003, 08:37:21 pm
Slink's post is amazing! It looks just like English, yet I don't understand a word of it.

The last time someone spoke English and I couldn't get one word out of it, it was this old man with no teeth from Glasgow.

Was that you, Slink?
Title: Who's up for a CD chain?
Post by: AugustWest on November 28, 2003, 09:06:18 pm
I think it has to do with some sort of dental problem Slink is facing.  That or a particularly stubborn clogged drain.
Title: Who's up for a CD chain?
Post by: V-Adore on November 29, 2003, 02:40:13 am
Need... to... make... mix... soon.

Gah, hope I don't have to drop out. (And I hope that I can soon get some kind of clear guideline as to how many copies we need to make.)
Title: Who's up for a CD chain?
Post by: jough on November 29, 2003, 03:40:12 am
My mix is complete.

A girl for whom I had never played music before exclaimed that the CD ROCKED and inquired where she may acquire a copy.

I gave her the one in the player when it was finished.  And then she had sex with me.

So just so you people know: when you play my mix CD, people will want to have sex with you. *

You have been warned.






*So you may not want to play it for your grandpa or anything.
Title: Who's up for a CD chain?
Post by: andalucia on November 29, 2003, 04:16:28 pm
This thread really just reminds me that satchel isn't around anymore... he introduced me to so much rad music and was very generous in cd-mailing.  I really wonder where he went.

Compiling my cd presently... I'm working on an antidote to Jough's cd.  Mine'll be good'n nerdy.  Probly if you listen to it, no-one'll ever have sex with you again.
Title: Who's up for a CD chain?
Post by: sjlimmer on November 29, 2003, 06:52:28 pm
Quote from: "andalucia"

Compiling my cd presently... I'm working on an antidote to Jough's cd.  Mine'll be good'n nerdy.  Probly if you listen to it, no-one'll ever have sex with you again.


Then they must fight...to the death!

As for my mix, it has been done for about a week now, but I haven't looked at it/listened to it in the interim.  I was reasonably satisfied with the way it came out when I finished it, but now that I'm in a different mood I'd probably want to replace ~80% of the songs.

I knew I should have made more than one mix.
Title: Who's up for a CD chain?
Post by: Limmo on December 01, 2003, 10:45:15 pm
Alright, my mix is done...for the moment.  I've got to roll through it a few times to see if it flows.   It won't make anyone have sex, but then again some absent-minded toe-tapping was my only goal.

Awaiting mailing instructions.
Title: Who's up for a CD chain?
Post by: jay-ell on December 02, 2003, 01:07:05 am
I'm working on my mix as we speak.  So far, the theme seems to be mysecond-favorite songs by each of my favorite bands.  Odd.
Title: Who's up for a CD chain?
Post by: starlight on December 02, 2003, 10:22:49 am
We're supposed to start on the mixes now?

I was waiting for further instructions or something ...hah!  

Well, I can start I s'pose.  just got some new cds today (yesterday) and that always makes mix making more fun for me.
Title: Who's up for a CD chain?
Post by: Limmo on December 03, 2003, 01:23:54 am
Quote from: "starlight"
We're supposed to start on the mixes now?


Mixes?  I'm working on the cover "artwork"!

( Artwork's in quotes because it's turned out really, really crappy! )
Title: Who's up for a CD chain?
Post by: starlight on December 03, 2003, 04:10:16 am
Quote from: "Limmo"
Quote from: "starlight"
We're supposed to start on the mixes now?


Mixes?  I'm working on the cover "artwork"!

( Artwork's in quotes because it's turned out really, really crappy! )


Does that mean you have finished the mix or do you do cover "artwork" first?  I always do that second after I survey the overall theme for a good picture ..I usually use anything explodingdog cause well, there's always something there to set a mood ..if not a complete one, I merge two together for complete chaos!  :D

hopefully I don't get sued one day for doing that without permission; not like I'm charging money for the altered art though
Title: Who's up for a CD chain?
Post by: Limmo on December 03, 2003, 04:43:47 am
I started with the mix.  I've played it through a few times and snipped off the last two songs.  I'm happy with what I've got.  I wouldn't think about doing the cover until the songlist was set in stone.

I was just going to write the songs on the blank J-cards for the CDs, and then thought That's cheesy, I should try to at least spiff them up a little.

Which has opened several cans of software and printer-related worms.
Title: Who's up for a CD chain?
Post by: jough on December 03, 2003, 05:50:19 am
My artwork will consist of whatever's printed on the disc from the manufacturer.

MAYBE if you're lucky I'll write something on it with a Sharpie™.
Title: Who's up for a CD chain?
Post by: Limmo on December 03, 2003, 06:16:10 am
See?  El Guapo's a lot smarter about this shit.
Title: Who's up for a CD chain?
Post by: starlight on December 03, 2003, 10:02:47 am
I write in sharpie on the actual disc :D
..I once had someone do some weird art in sharpie on a disc ..it was rather scary at first ..like artistic scratchings... \/\/\/\.\XXXX (stuff like that)

[ETA:  oh yeah, concerning the start of my mix ..I'll start planning it tomorrow.  I figure since there are no further instructions yet, I'm not really late here!]
Title: Who's up for a CD chain?
Post by: CortJstr on December 03, 2003, 03:29:24 pm
If I'm feeling really generous an unconcerned about my color ink supply I'll use one of the templates in Nero. But generally it's just track list and times.
Title: Who's up for a CD chain?
Post by: Limmo on December 03, 2003, 04:07:08 pm
Alright, then, fuck it.  I'll just put an unlabeled disc in an unpadded envelope.  With some sand.  Ship it fourth class.  

Good times. :mrgreen:

( Also, when I said it was a mix CD?  It's really just Van Halen II, sourced from a cassette I found in an abandoned muffler shop. )
Title: Who's up for a CD chain?
Post by: AugustWest on December 06, 2003, 04:28:53 am
WTF!  Are we doing this thing or what?  Did names and addresses and such get sent out and nobody told me?  Should I make the effort to complete this thang or what?
Title: Who's up for a CD chain?
Post by: Limmo on December 06, 2003, 05:11:18 am
Thank you, August, for posting the aggrieved WTF post and thus preventing me from having to do it.

Mite, are you out there?  Hello?  Are you still Cub Scout Leader on this project?  Is this mike on?
Title: Who's up for a CD chain?
Post by: slink on December 06, 2003, 12:36:45 pm
Nuts so far.
My CD writer doesn't work, and I can't get my third soundcard installed properly to get the mix done.
Bleah.
Title: Who's up for a CD chain?
Post by: Limmo on December 08, 2003, 05:39:01 pm
Alright, I'm biting off more than I can chew here, since I've never done a CD chain before.  But if no one else wants to do it, I volunteer to organize the whole thing.
Title: Who's up for a CD chain?
Post by: jay-ell on December 08, 2003, 06:53:36 pm
I'd organize, if needed, but I don't want to step on any toes.  Anybody heard from Mite lately?  I'm starting to worry.   :worried:
Title: Who's up for a CD chain?
Post by: Limmo on December 08, 2003, 07:00:25 pm
I just sent her an Email.  We'll see.
Title: Who's up for a CD chain?
Post by: jough on December 08, 2003, 10:24:40 pm
I look forward to burning copies of my mix on my new CD-R drive inside my snazzy PC.
Title: Who's up for a CD chain?
Post by: Limmo on December 08, 2003, 10:40:07 pm
And we look forward to hearing your intercourse-inducing CD!
As soon as we figure out what the HELL is going on with this chain.
Title: Who's up for a CD chain?
Post by: jough on December 09, 2003, 06:16:56 am
Mite will proffer details soon.

Your hosss: hold them.
Title: Who's up for a CD chain?
Post by: Limmo on December 09, 2003, 06:36:30 am
Thank you El Guapo.  hosss held.
Title: Who's up for a CD chain?
Post by: Limmo on December 18, 2003, 02:13:06 am
hosss still held, but starting to wonder if they'll be let out anytime soon.
Title: Who's up for a CD chain?
Post by: AugustWest on December 18, 2003, 02:27:28 am
Seconded.  

Is this "soon" in the geologic sense?
Title: Who's up for a CD chain?
Post by: pmcd9 on December 18, 2003, 02:47:34 am
I haven't made a mix, but i'm thinking about it.

~Paul
Title: Who's up for a CD chain?
Post by: slink on December 18, 2003, 03:18:28 am
Well given that both the mix I made is fucked, and my cd writer appears fucked... hosss may be held as long as need be!
Title: Who's up for a CD chain?
Post by: jough on December 18, 2003, 06:15:31 am
Let's hold off until the new year, gents.

However, I have several copies of my mix READY TO GO and will send one along with some christmas goodies to anyone who sends me their addresses in a PM.

Continental U.S. only, please.  Those from other less spastic places may, however, send me an IRC (international reply coupon, not internet relay chat) for sufficient postage to send a 2g package your way.
Title: Who's up for a CD chain?
Post by: Limmo on December 18, 2003, 07:17:39 am
Quote from: "jough"
However, I have several copies of my mix READY TO GO and will send one along with some christmas goodies to anyone who sends me their addresses in a PM.

Continental U.S. only, please.  Those from other less spastic places may, however, send me an IRC (international reply coupon, not internet relay chat) for sufficient postage to send a 2g package your way.


Me too. However, no christmas goodies, unless badly-printed CD art counts as a goody. PM or an email with your address will be just fine.  

No Moxy Fruvous on my CD, so forewarned is forearmed.
Title: Who's up for a CD chain?
Post by: andalucia on December 18, 2003, 12:55:45 pm
Anyone ready to trade who doesn't hate canadians?





*tumbleweed*
Title: Who's up for a CD chain?
Post by: CortJstr on December 18, 2003, 05:40:42 pm
I love Canadians. Dave Foley is "teh" awesome. It's you bastards that screw up the food chain I hate. Also, women. ::glare::
Title: Who's up for a CD chain?
Post by: jough on December 18, 2003, 07:52:50 pm
I will ship something to Canadia if I don't have to fill out a customs form.

Maybe have it smuggled-in somehow?
Title: Who's up for a CD chain?
Post by: V-Adore on December 18, 2003, 11:04:34 pm
I will gladly trade with Canadians! ... once I have a mix.

(I think the new theme for my mix is going to be "Totally K-Rad Collection Based On the Six CDs Or So V Brought Home For the Holiday -- or, Ben Folds and the Flaming Lips Are Forced To Make Sweet, Sweet Audio Love.")
Title: Who's up for a CD chain?
Post by: andalucia on December 21, 2003, 10:03:18 pm
Ok, well, anyone who doesnt mind trading for filthy tainted canadian cds (pretty much guaranteed no canadian music on 'em, though, since I hate virtually all of it), can email or PM me with their address... and Jough, I dont think you have to fill out customs stuff for burnt cds, or at least none of the americans I've traded with have had to.
Title: Who's up for a CD chain?
Post by: AugustWest on December 21, 2003, 10:30:48 pm
I will send a copy of mine to anyone (from this board) who sends me their address and gives me the assurance that I'll get one in return.
Title: Who's up for a CD chain?
Post by: sjlimmer on December 21, 2003, 11:45:05 pm
Quote from: "jough"
I will ship something to Canadia if I don't have to fill out a customs form.

Maybe have it smuggled-in somehow?


Just send it air mail, and it doesn't require a customs from if it is:
1) Less than 16 ounces
and 2) "Mail matter that is not potentially dutiable."

As near as I can tell, a mix CD should meet both of these requirements, since CD's aren't that heavy, and it seems that "Goods valued under 20 Canadian dollars are duty and excise tax exempt. Gift shipments received by mail that are valued under 60 Canadian dollars are duty and excise tax exempt. " (all quotes from various USPS web pages)

That said, I've got a mix all lined up, and 4-5 padded mailers, so I'm up for participating.  And I'll trade with Canadians.
Title: Who's up for a CD chain?
Post by: Limmo on December 23, 2003, 05:42:41 pm
Quote from: "sjlimmer"
Just send it air mail, and it doesn't require a customs from if it is: 1) Less than 16 ounces and 2) "Mail matter that is not potentially dutiable."


Went to the Post Office this morning to send Andalucia, pmcd9, sjlimmer and El Guapo their care packages. And discovered:

A single CD in a jewel box inside a padded mailer weighs exactly 4.5 ounces.  Sending it to Canada air mail cost $1.60 and required no customs forms or other bullshit.  

So don't let mailing concerns deter you from showering our pals in the Great White North with the bitchin' tune-stacks.
Title: Who's up for a CD chain?
Post by: jough on December 23, 2003, 05:48:53 pm
You send yours in a jewel case?  Hm.  Mine will be sandwiched between two 8.5x11" pages, folded in quarters to encase the CD.

Of course, many of you will be receiving an extra disc as well.
Title: Who's up for a CD chain?
Post by: Limmo on December 23, 2003, 06:32:57 pm
Quote from: "jough"
You send yours in a jewel case?  


That's how I roll, yo.  

I wanted to throw in my band's fake German new-wave CD as an extra treat, but I haven't gotten my copies yet.  Alas.
Title: Who's up for a CD chain?
Post by: sjlimmer on December 23, 2003, 06:33:05 pm
Quote from: "Limmo"
Quote from: "sjlimmer"
Just send it air mail, and it doesn't require a customs from if it is: 1) Less than 16 ounces and 2) "Mail matter that is not potentially dutiable."


Went to the Post Office this morning to send Andalucia, pmcd9, sjlimmer and El Guapo their care packages. And discovered:

A single CD in a jewel box inside a padded mailer weighs exactly 4.5 ounces.  Sending it to Canada air mail cost $1.60 and required no customs forms or other bullshit.  

So don't let mailing concerns deter you from showering our pals in the Great White North with the bitchin' tune-stacks.


I've just come from the post office, and the woman at the conter insisted that a customs form was required.  I'm going to try it again later, but if they keep giving me grief, I'll be switching tho Jough's method (I'm thinking that they don't believe a jewel case in a padded mailer has no value).  Stupid post office.
Title: Who's up for a CD chain?
Post by: CortJstr on December 23, 2003, 06:46:48 pm
I know when we send stuff from work to Canada FedEx require the value be 1.00 for "valueless" Document shipments. Every other country require the that value be 0.00. Of course we mark everything as "medical records" which lets us send CDs and such as valueless.
Title: Who's up for a CD chain?
Post by: andalucia on December 23, 2003, 11:48:55 pm
Yes, my minions, shower me with "medical records"!
Title: Who's up for a CD chain?
Post by: St_Zartan on December 24, 2003, 12:15:31 am
Quote from: "andalucia"
Yes, my minions, shower me with "medical records"!

WELCOME TO
EUPHEMISM CITY

POPULATION: YOU
Title: Who's up for a CD chain?
Post by: CortJstr on December 24, 2003, 12:59:42 am
Clarification: Our stuff really is medical records. Or at the very least requests for them which we should technically call "business letters" but most of us just leave the default selection since it's mostly true anyway.
Title: Who's up for a CD chain?
Post by: pmcd9 on December 24, 2003, 04:18:00 pm
Quote from: "V-Adore"
Ben Folds and the Flaming Lips Are Forced To Make Sweet, Sweet Audio Love.")


Hey no fair stealing my ideas.

~Paul
Title: Who's up for a CD chain?
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on January 04, 2004, 03:11:35 pm
I, too, have a newly created mix CD that I will trade straight up for a similar disc.  Track list available on request.

E-mails or PMs sent to Limmo, andalucia, AugustWest, jough, sjlimmer... did I miss anybody?
Title: Who's up for a CD chain?
Post by: pmcd9 on January 09, 2004, 02:56:17 am
I am working on my mix disc.  It will be ready soon.  All that are interested please respond by pm.

~Paul
Title: Who's up for a CD chain?
Post by: jay-ell on January 10, 2004, 05:27:59 am
I've also got a mix in the can.  e-, p-, or i-m me with your details.  I'll ship off the island and across the pond, as well.
Title: Who's up for a CD chain?
Post by: AugustWest on January 13, 2004, 08:23:47 pm
I mailed my mixes at lunch today to the 4 people who PM'ed me (Limmo, SJLimmer, Jough and Paul).  I know I got one e-mail that I accidentally deleted, so if anybody else wants one of mine let me know.
Title: Who's up for a CD chain?
Post by: Limmo on January 13, 2004, 08:35:13 pm
for my part, CDs went out today to JL, August, CarlosdelV and Asherdan.
Title: Who's up for a CD chain?
Post by: pmcd9 on January 13, 2004, 09:20:42 pm
Quote from: "AugustWest"
I mailed my mixes at lunch today to the 4 people who PM'ed me (Limmo, SJLimmer, Jough and Paul).  I know I got one e-mail that I accidentally deleted, so if anybody else wants one of mine let me know.


You didn't reciprocate with the address there August.

~Paul
Title: Who's up for a CD chain?
Post by: AugustWest on January 13, 2004, 09:33:06 pm
It's in the envelope.
Title: Who's up for a CD chain?
Post by: sjlimmer on January 13, 2004, 09:52:42 pm
I sent mine for pmcd9, Asherdan and jldunston out yesterday morning.  AugustWest, as soon as I get your envelope, I send a Cd out your way as well.

Out of sheer obsession, I've already started another mix.  Keep your eyes open for the announcement of CD mix swap, round 2.

If anyone is interested.
Title: Who's up for a CD chain?
Post by: Limmo on January 13, 2004, 10:48:05 pm
Quote from: "sjlimmer"
Out of sheer obsession, I've already started another mix.  Keep your eyes open for the announcement of CD mix swap, round 2.

If anyone is interested.


OK, so I'm not alone/insane, then.
Title: Who's up for a CD chain?
Post by: starlight on January 13, 2004, 11:46:02 pm
Heeeeey *don't want to get deleted* ...felt all ill during December and forgot all about this mix trade business I posted to volunteer on before...

Anyway, I made a brilliant mix recently; it's saved on my recorder setlist, so I can always burn more copies ...PM if you want it.  (the setlist is somewhere on my lj if people are curious what is on it.. it's sort've obscure stuff though)...
Title: Who's up for a CD chain?
Post by: slink on January 14, 2004, 12:11:51 am
Well, if people are willing to do the UK now I might join in part 2.
Need to fix my IRQ clashes.
Title: Who's up for a CD chain?
Post by: pmcd9 on January 19, 2004, 05:11:24 pm
Quote from: "slink"
Well, if people are willing to do the UK now I might join in part 2.
Need to fix my IRQ clashes.


I'm down with the UK, it's not that much bread anyway.

~Paul
Title: Rumplestiltskin
Post by: pmcd9 on January 31, 2004, 07:52:26 pm
My mixdisc is (finally) complete and I will be shipping early next week.  Anyone who is interested and hasn't previously notified me, now is the time to get in on the action.  Get 'em while they're hot people.

~Paul
Title: Who's up for a CD chain?
Post by: Bozack on January 31, 2004, 10:38:22 pm
If anyone wants a copy of my mix (setlist is in the playlist thread), well, by all means, PM me up, doggs.
Title: Re: Rumplestiltskin
Post by: pmcd9 on February 12, 2004, 05:22:35 am
Quote from: "pmcd9"
My mixdisc is (finally) complete and I will be shipping early next week.  Anyone who is interested and hasn't previously notified me, now is the time to get in on the action.  Get 'em while they're hot people.

~Paul


Ok, here's the deal.  I'm sure you've all noticed my near total absence from this board.  What, no?  Oh well, anyway, to use the finest southern vernacular, 'i've been up to my ass in alligators' and the disc haven't shipped yet.  Furthermore, my burner has thrown craps.  Maybe i'll be off work this weekend (maybe) and i'll buy a replacement if I am.  In the meantime i've gotten 12 copies ready for the mail and I promise!!! they will be mailed tomorrow.  A couple of you will have to wait.  Dawg, I haven't forgotten about you either.  I have a pile here, but it's a meager 10 disc high at the moment.  I wish it were more.  Trouble is, I need to listen to them to make sure they are all good before I ship them to you.  Getting two songs into Led Zeppelin and being greeted by skips would be the saddest thing.  I'll get this worked out soon and I will deliver on my promise.  Please have faith.  Pedro, your surprise is ready, but I haven't had two seconds to print the label.  It's coming soon.

~Paul
Title: Who's up for a CD chain?
Post by: AlohaDawg on February 12, 2004, 06:15:50 am
I've been humbled and thrilled by all of the generous offers and mailings I've received, so certainly I can be patient. Limmo sent me some really great stuff which I am hearing for the first time and I love it but I'm sad thinking about how much great music I've missed and how much crap I've listened to over the past 25 years or so...Thanks to Wombat for replacing some of my favorite Paul Simon material, re-introducing me to the Roches and letting me discover Billy Bragg, too...

Thanks to all of you, sent, or sending...
Title: Who's up for a CD chain?
Post by: jay-ell on February 12, 2004, 06:22:48 pm
I'm just lazy.  Sorry.  

PMCD, what are you sending to AlohaDawg?  'Cos I suspect our lists may overlap.  PM me and we'll split it up.
Title: Who's up for a CD chain?
Post by: pmcd9 on February 13, 2004, 01:02:27 am
Quote from: "jldunston"
I'm just lazy.  Sorry.  

PMCD, what are you sending to AlohaDawg?  'Cos I suspect our lists may overlap.  PM me and we'll split it up.


I asked very nicely for people to post their list of what they were sending to Dawg, but noooo, that's too much trouble.  Hee hee hee.

So far...

BB Cook County Jail/Live at the Regal
HTWWW d1-3
Who's Next
Who Live at Isle of Wight 1970 d1 RS - Between the Buttons
Let it Bleed
Hendrix - First Rays of the New Rising Sun
King of the Delta Blues Singers

The Nick Drake is skips like shit so I threw it away.  I'll re-send it to you too Star after I get a new burner this weekend.
and two mystery disc in need of labels(Pedro's surprise).

~Paul