The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => Arts & Entertainment => Topic started by: Mite on November 18, 2003, 11:25:45 pm

Title: Preferred Chain Format
Post by: Mite on November 18, 2003, 11:25:45 pm
I like the ideas on different formats, so I thought I'd let y'all choose.
Title: Preferred Chain Format
Post by: sjlimmer on November 19, 2003, 12:13:23 am
Can I ask for clarification before I submit my vote?  I think I'm leaning towards "Everybody copies theirs and sends it to 3-5 other people" or "A few small chains of 3-5 people" for fear of the large chain not remaining intact.  But I think I'd be curious to hear all of the mixes that get made.  So, if we do the small chains option, will they run separate form one another, or in series (that is, the last person in chain 1 passes the CD on to the first person in chain 2, etc)?  Am I making any sense at all?
Title: Preferred Chain Format
Post by: andalucia on November 19, 2003, 12:48:08 am
Quote from: "sjlimmer"
that is, the last person in chain 1 passes the CD on to the first person in chain 2, etc


I'm not totally sure how that would differ from having one big chain, is all.
Title: Preferred Chain Format
Post by: AlohaDawg on November 19, 2003, 12:49:44 am
I like SJLimmer's idea. Small chains that eventually feed together - that would mazimize the number of CDs you would get to hear.

Also, how many cuts makes a mix CD? Does a mix CD need to have a unifying theme? Are there any rules to this game?

This is not something I do...so I'll beg forgiveness in advance...
Title: Preferred Chain Format
Post by: andalucia on November 19, 2003, 12:52:53 am
I'm kind of a mixswapping nerd.  A mix cd usually has 15 or so tracks, depending of course on length.  Themes are chosen in advance by the group, left to the whim of the compiler, or ignored, depending on the mood of the group.  Personally, I find keeping a theme, or at least an ambience helps me think, but I generally take this way too seriously.
Title: Preferred Chain Format
Post by: jough on November 19, 2003, 01:18:34 am
If we're doing theme discs then I choose "songs to bone by".
Title: Preferred Chain Format
Post by: jay-ell on November 19, 2003, 01:25:44 am
Quote from: "jough"
If we're doing theme discs then I choose "songs to bone by".


If that's the case, count me in.  

If not, well, never mind.
Title: Preferred Chain Format
Post by: AugustWest on November 19, 2003, 01:42:17 am
You didn't include the option I wanted to vote for, namely:

"I don't give a fuck how we do it just tell me who I'm supposed to mail the stupid CD's to and I'll do it."
Title: Preferred Chain Format
Post by: FeeReep on November 19, 2003, 02:00:01 am
Persnackly. I'm just itching to be participatory.

Most of my mixes that I share don't have unifying theme, but the ones I make for myself do (eg moods, driving music, the obligatory romancing-the-ladies mix). I find its more important to transition well.
Title: Preferred Chain Format
Post by: CortJstr on November 19, 2003, 02:17:28 am
I tend to use the theme of "music I want to share with people in an essentially random order"
Title: Preferred Chain Format
Post by: sjlimmer on November 19, 2003, 02:19:30 am
Quote from: "FeeReep"
I find its more important to transition well.


It's nice to know I'm not the only one who obsesses over transitions.

As for themes, I already proposed "Only bands with a prime number of letters in their names", but I don't plan on sticking to it.
Title: Preferred Chain Format
Post by: V-Adore on November 19, 2003, 02:22:28 am
My theme will most likely be "stuff I like in a random, hopefully non-ear-bleedy order."

Anyway, I voted for Send-to-Mite-and-Mite-distros, but honestly, I'm willing to do anything on the list.
Title: Preferred Chain Format
Post by: AlohaDawg on November 19, 2003, 02:34:27 am
Quote from: "FeeReep"
Persnackly. I'm just itching to be participatory.

Most of my mixes that I share don't have unifying theme, but the ones I make for myself do (eg moods, driving music, the obligatory romancing-the-ladies mix). I find its more important to transition well.


I'm all for good transitions (and I like closure, too)...can someone tell me what a 'good transition' would be? Is it merely being conscious of how songs segue into each other? Or are talking about fades and stuff?
Title: Preferred Chain Format
Post by: Mite on November 19, 2003, 02:48:13 am
"To me, making a tape is like writing a letter -- there's a lot of erasing and rethinking and starting again. A good compilation tape, like breaking up, is hard to do. You've got to kick off with a corker, to hold the attention, and then you've got to up it a notch, or cool it a notch, and you can't have white music and black music together, unless the white music sounds like black music, and you can't have two tracks by the same artist side by side, unless you've done the whole thing in pairs... oh, there are loads of rules."

*runs away in shame*
Title: Preferred Chain Format
Post by: Mite on November 19, 2003, 02:51:46 am
And as for the matters at hand, I'm a little disinclined towards mixing the small chains, mostly because that'd be a lot of work for me. If somebody can figure out a way to do it easily that is fundamentally different from the 1 big chain option, I'm all for it. But the way I had it pictured was that the intersection of any two of the small chains would be the null set.

*runs again*
Title: Preferred Chain Format
Post by: andalucia on November 19, 2003, 02:55:56 am
Mite, never ever run in shame from quoting High Fidelity.  Ever.
Title: Preferred Chain Format
Post by: Choop on November 19, 2003, 03:38:19 am
Here here (?) on the importance of transitions - iTunes played one the other day on shuffle that caught my ear verrrrry nicely- especially because of the ridiculousness of the artists that segued together so nicely.

I may just burn a bunch of .mps based on iTunes shuffle mode...
Title: Preferred Chain Format
Post by: FeeReep on November 19, 2003, 04:02:43 am
Quote from: "AlohaDawg"
Quote from: "FeeReep"
Persnackly. I'm just itching to be participatory.

Most of my mixes that I share don't have unifying theme, but the ones I make for myself do (eg moods, driving music, the obligatory romancing-the-ladies mix). I find its more important to transition well.


I'm all for good transitions (and I like closure, too)...can someone tell me what a 'good transition' would be? Is it merely being conscious of how songs segue into each other? Or are talking about fades and stuff?


Good transition example #1: The Who's "A Quick One While He's Away" into Beck's "Sexxlaws". Thematic and melodic segue. I may cry.
Title: Preferred Chain Format
Post by: jough on November 19, 2003, 05:49:29 am
High Fidelity is #1 in my all-time top 5 films released in 2000 list.

If you quoted that from memory, then I'm especially impressed. And my knees may be a little weak there.

So what have we decided, people?  How are we going to do this thing?

Mite?  This is your gig. Should we be sending things your way or what?
Title: Preferred Chain Format
Post by: starlight on November 19, 2003, 09:05:20 am
I greatly want to be in on this (I'm kind've obsessed with making mix cds - it's my new fav. hobby), but I'm rather confused here on what to choose - whichever costs less and uses the least amount of packaging would be the best bet (hah!) ..I guess if they were all sent to one person and distributed or small groups ...are we just making one mix?  one mix and copies for all in group?  -confusion-

As for themes, I usually just find one after I have a setlist ...most the time I break up my mixes into parts ..I name each part either with something I made up or a lyric in a song of that part then I link quotes together from each part to create the overall 'theme' and 'title' ..if that makes sense.  I have examples here (http://www.artofthemix.com/AOTMCommunity/profile.asp?Email=xo@sardonic-hee.com).  whenever people give me a theme, I sort've lose interest sadly ...I'm one of those spontaneous mix makers - not the planned theme based on mood sort.  I actually made three death mixes in a row by accident ...hah.  poor people I traded with ;)
Title: Preferred Chain Format
Post by: Mite on November 19, 2003, 11:35:26 am
Alright, I just came up with an awesome compromise between the big & small chain options. When I'm less pressed for time (woke up a little late this morning), I'll describe in detail.

I've now got 9 names. Who else wants it? Get to me by Friday!
Title: Preferred Chain Format
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on November 19, 2003, 02:23:37 pm
I'm with August as far as mailing my stupid CDs to people.  It's the idea of getting CDs from others, then having to mail those to other people, that I think is wacky.  If someone sends me a CD, I'd like to keep it.

Just my opinion, of course.
Title: Preferred Chain Format
Post by: slink on November 19, 2003, 07:19:54 pm
I'd at least mp3 the cd's sent to me. So not too much worry about having to send them on, but it does have the chance of going above the effort threshold.
But, like someone said - who cares. Someone else will choose, and I'll do what they say. Democracy isn't my strong point (damn that polisci degree).

Oh and as far as the whole conscious mix thing, I will be doing it with a mixing desk, since well, it's one of my jobs... I've also got about 15 other hour to 2 hour long mixes lying around on HD if anyone digs what they get from me and wants more. And since I can fit more than one on a CD...
Title: Preferred Chain Format
Post by: AlohaDawg on November 19, 2003, 08:23:29 pm
Quote from: "Mite"
Alright, I just came up with an awesome compromise between the big & small chain options. When I'm less pressed for time (woke up a little late this morning), I'll describe in detail.

I've now got 9 names. Who else wants it? Get to me by Friday!


If I'm not on the list you have, I'll give it a go. Selgiraffely, of course, I am far more interested in what you all are listening to then subjecting you to my odd and somewhat dated and mainstream offerings.
Title: Preferred Chain Format
Post by: Limmo on December 04, 2003, 06:05:16 pm
So.  What's the verdict?
Title: Preferred Chain Format
Post by: jough on December 04, 2003, 06:06:43 pm
Yeah, man, what gives?