The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => Arts & Entertainment => Topic started by: Bobby Isosceles on February 13, 2009, 06:34:08 am

Title: Soon I Will Be Invincible
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on February 13, 2009, 06:34:08 am
If ever there was a way to distill the Venture Brothers into a book, that would be "Soon i Will Be Invincible."

Great read.
Title: Re: Soon I Will Be Invincible
Post by: Doc on February 13, 2009, 06:35:15 am
Yeah? I've been wondering about that for a while, I do love supervillian literature and nuklear power is obviously very funny.
Title: Re: Soon I Will Be Invincible
Post by: CortJstr on February 13, 2009, 01:47:59 pm
That's been on my to read list since it came out. The library has like 8 copies but the wait list is insane. Plus I read slow, so I never check out books that I can't renew.
Title: Re: Soon I Will Be Invincible
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on February 13, 2009, 03:39:46 pm
Author, for those of us too lazy to Google it?

Also, when and where does Venture Brothers air?  I've had several recommendations for that show but I don't know when the hell it's on.
Title: Re: Soon I Will Be Invincible
Post by: CortJstr on February 13, 2009, 04:05:21 pm
Author, for those of us too lazy to Google it?

Also, when and where does Venture Brothers air?  I've had several recommendations for that show but I don't know when the hell it's on.

It's on Cartoon Network's Adult Swim block. Since they're between seasons it airs irregularly. When Season 4 is about to start they'll probably replay 1-3. Or you can Netflix seasons 1 and 2.

It's definitely worth watching. At first it just seems like silly villain-of-the-week type stuff but there's an actual ongoing story that builds over time it just starts subtly at first. Plus it's hilarious. There are two pairs of characters (Watch & Ward and Henchmen 21 & 24) who will often have conversations there were taken verbatim from the writers just talking about shit. Like whether the Smurfs give live birth or lay eggs.
Title: Re: Soon I Will Be Invincible
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on February 13, 2009, 04:24:54 pm
I thought it was on Adult Swim but I can never seem to catch it.  It's definitely not on the Adult Swim on-demand channel.

I think I detect a BitTorrent session coming up.
Title: Re: Soon I Will Be Invincible
Post by: Lister on February 14, 2009, 11:42:05 am
1: Go to http://www.adultswim.com/video/index.html?section=Comedy (http://www.adultswim.com/video/index.html?section=Comedy)
2: Click on The Venture Brothers on the bottom left of the page.
3: Watch
4: Become entertained

Unlike many other shows on [as], the Venture Brothers actually features good writing and characterization.  The occasional non-sequiturs aren't there just to prove the writers once watched Monty Python.  High quality stuff.