The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => People & Places => Topic started by: pmcd9 on February 14, 2009, 04:49:38 pm

Title: Topic Starters
Post by: pmcd9 on February 14, 2009, 04:49:38 pm
I was perusing the stats (http://touamb.com/index.php?action=stats) when I noticed that I am no. 2 on the list of topic starters.  I have started 302 topics.  Only Jough with 317 has started more topics than I have.  This kind of took me by surprise as I didn't realize I was a prolific topic starter.  But I see that behind me, the only person even close to my number is Frank with 256.  I've nearly twice the number as fourth place JL.

This got me to thinking.  These numbers only go back to when we migrated the board back in late 2005.  I wonder what they would be like if they went back all the way to the beginning? 

There have been some complaints that the board is dead lately; that people aren't posting much anymore and I'm curious if there is a cause and effect going on.  If there were more topics being thrown out for consideration perhaps there would be more conversation.

I don't know, it's just a thought.
Title: Re: Topic Starters
Post by: Ruta Bagas on February 14, 2009, 04:57:15 pm
I don't think I've ever started a thread. But all things considered, that's probably for the best.
Title: Re: Topic Starters
Post by: jay-ell on February 14, 2009, 04:57:22 pm
I've been doing my share lately.  I can't believe I'm still #4, even having taken two rather long hiatus periods.  

Come to think of it, given how long it's been since Jough was an institution here, it's fairly impressive that the's still #1.  
Title: Re: Topic Starters
Post by: CortJstr on February 14, 2009, 07:27:03 pm
I've always just been a replier. I was like that even back on The Random Game where weird single post topics were encouraged.
Title: Re: Topic Starters
Post by: pmcd9 on February 17, 2009, 03:59:10 am
I was hoping this thread would ignite a flurry or new topics, but instead it appears to have completely killed the board entirely.

Oh well, I think Side Show was right anyway.  Might as well leave it to the worms.
Title: Re: Topic Starters
Post by: AugustWest on February 17, 2009, 04:38:57 am
Nooooooooo!
Title: Re: Topic Starters
Post by: littlefallsmets on February 17, 2009, 05:49:27 am
The interesting thing about this board's nature as a rogue board is that...

Though it is no longer directly focused on the Achewood, the Achewood strips are still often the spark behind the torrent of conversin'.

The grain of sand to irritate the oyster and to wait for the pearl, if you will.

And, even now, when free Achematerial is down to a trickle, so are we fair rogues.
Title: Re: Topic Starters
Post by: wombat on February 17, 2009, 02:23:58 pm
Yes, we like to think of ourselves as rogues...

People come to the board when there is a strip, then they check out the other threads too. It's understandable. I think it will get better when he gets back on track producing more. It is too bad we can't volunteer to go over his new house and do some rogue unpacking and painting and sandwich-making.
Title: Re: Topic Starters
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on February 17, 2009, 02:54:06 pm
The other message board that I frequent seems to have declined in activity in the past year as well.  Is Facebook taking over?
Title: Re: Topic Starters
Post by: wombat on February 17, 2009, 05:04:40 pm
Could be. It would support my theory that Facebook is destroying the Internet for everyone.
Title: Re: Topic Starters
Post by: JorgeFabregas on February 17, 2009, 05:46:16 pm
Low activity levels on the forums I'm on as well. I'm wondering if there's a link with the economy.

Fewer people working, plus less work for those who are working = more time to screw off on the internet

or

Fewer people working and more people worried about their jobs = fewer people at offices screwing off on the internet?
Title: Re: Topic Starters
Post by: robot_god on February 20, 2009, 10:43:16 pm
I got this idea to make a topic on a message board I used to visit long ago, but I never made it.  It was the misc. board from the forum of a computer game.

I was gonna post, "you ever wonder how come when you got to take a shit, the urge just gets more and more intense proportionate to how close you are to the toilet?  what the eff is up with that?," but I never posted it and probably never will.
Title: Re: Topic Starters
Post by: pmcd9 on February 20, 2009, 10:52:18 pm
See, I've been just waiting for my chance to expound on this topic.
Title: Re: Topic Starters
Post by: CortJstr on February 21, 2009, 01:01:24 am
I got this idea to make a topic on a message board I used to visit long ago, but I never made it.  It was the misc. board from the forum of a computer game.

I was gonna post, "you ever wonder how come when you got to take a shit, the urge just gets more and more intense proportionate to how close you are to the toilet?  what the eff is up with that?," but I never posted it and probably never will.

Have you tried approaching then backing away from the toilet?
Title: Re: Topic Starters
Post by: miles on February 21, 2009, 01:22:49 am
Maybe our digestive system has some kind water divining ability that operates at a subconscious level, so when we get near the restroom everything gets set in motion. To test this you'd have to situate people unknowingly near toilets and observe and ask. There's just so much about the human body we don't know.
Title: Re: Topic Starters
Post by: Doc on February 21, 2009, 01:49:17 am
Have you tried approaching then backing away from the toilet?

In my experience that makes it worse. I think Miles is right, once are you in a certain proximity events are set in motion.
Title: Re: Topic Starters
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on February 21, 2009, 02:54:16 am
Don't know about that, but I do believe that the severity of a hangnail is directly proportional to one's proximity to a nailclipper.
Title: Re: Topic Starters
Post by: lprkn on February 23, 2009, 05:18:36 pm
I carry one on my keychain, and therefore never get them. I suppose I could perform an experiment, but the consequences are potentially dire.
Title: Re: Topic Starters
Post by: wombat on February 23, 2009, 05:50:55 pm
So that's like my friend who carried her winter coat in the back seat of her car, and so she never got cold?
Title: Re: Topic Starters
Post by: lprkn on February 23, 2009, 08:58:38 pm
Or the guy who always carries a condom in his wallet, and therefore never gets laid?
Title: Re: Topic Starters
Post by: wombat on February 23, 2009, 09:06:09 pm
Ah, very interesting.

See, I think that is a little different. That brings to mind what we call at my house Technical Staff's Corollary to Murphy's Law, which says that if you want to achieve a desired goal, you should not do anything to make it less inconvenient. But that clearly has a logical similarity to the other kind of situation which bears thinking about.
Title: Re: Topic Starters
Post by: Drygioni on March 05, 2009, 03:29:04 am
I would start more topics but they would be about one of:

The Stone Roses/other band that make me happy music exists

Football

Being a student in England

Asking personal questions about all of you

So this is all probably for the best.

You're all lovely entertaining people anyway.

Fuck me my head hurts.
Title: Re: Topic Starters
Post by: pmcd9 on March 05, 2009, 04:24:35 am
I'd totally be interested in your thoughts on being a student in England.  However, the state you're in we probably wouldn't understand a word of it.
Title: Re: Topic Starters
Post by: littlefallsmets on March 05, 2009, 05:46:36 am
Topic starter:

Basically, the ending of THE WRESTLER postulates that if only the women of significance in his life had been able to forgive him, yet again, for his long string of basically unforgiveable betrayals, he wouldn't have had to commit suicide-by-black-guy-pretending-to-be-a-Muslim. "Forgive men all their failings unless you want them to die in a deconstructionalist version of Christ's passion".

I mean, as an affable screw-up, I am entirely pro- this kind of message in a movie?

It certainly benefits me for this sort of idea to be floating about the collective subcon?

But still. Seems worth talking about.
Title: Re: Topic Starters
Post by: pmcd9 on March 05, 2009, 06:18:52 am
This topic is already started.