The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => Sports & Leisure => Topic started by: littlefallsmets on February 19, 2009, 02:35:45 am

Title: Pretend Baseball '09?
Post by: littlefallsmets on February 19, 2009, 02:35:45 am
Are we gonna do this again or, like, am I the only one who loves the shit out of pretend baseball?
Title: Re: Pretend Baseball '09?
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on February 19, 2009, 04:22:06 am
Oh, we're doing this again.  REVENGE!!
Title: Re: Pretend Baseball '09?
Post by: littlefallsmets on February 19, 2009, 05:54:18 am
If the Mets had the balls to horribly murder Luis Castillo and move Dan'l Murphy to second base, Abreu would've made so much sense.

Oh God, there has not even been an exhibition game yet and my hatred of Luis Castillo is already burning the back of my throat.

This will be the season I finally just get an ulcer.

Any move that renders Gary Matthews essentially a bench piece is a good move for the Angels, no question.

EDIT: http://baseball.fantasysports.yahoo.com/league/touamb08 (http://baseball.fantasysports.yahoo.com/league/touamb08)

I think this is the link to join the new league. I sure as hell sent re-invites to all the previously involved.

I don't remember in there are passwords and crap this time around? I'll have to look into that.

Any scoring rules from last season people want changed?

I could go for a second DL slot, personally, but no biggie if people dug it the old way.

EDIT EDIT (pizza pizza):

League ID# is 113509 and the Password is raysadvice.
Title: Re: Pretend Baseball '09?
Post by: KeithHernandez on February 19, 2009, 08:09:47 am
I'm in this year, you bitches are going down.
Title: Re: Pretend Baseball '09?
Post by: AugustWest on February 19, 2009, 01:58:33 pm
Guess I got to defend my title.
Title: Re: Pretend Baseball '09?
Post by: Turbo Ninja on February 20, 2009, 04:48:22 pm
I'm in.  Autodraft is a different test from being able to pick your own lineup but at least it means we start with a relatively even level of talent across all teams.
Title: Re: Pretend Baseball '09?
Post by: KeithHernandez on February 28, 2009, 09:25:06 am
So, like, there are only five of us.  We should do something about that.  Who played in the past?

Edit: Alright, 6, but we still need at least two more, right?
Title: Re: Pretend Baseball '09?
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on March 13, 2009, 09:20:54 pm
oh yeah I'm in. I am team Liquor Cabinet
Title: Re: Pretend Baseball '09?
Post by: littlefallsmets on March 13, 2009, 09:28:28 pm
We have longer to wait for last-minute sign-ups this year as per the World Whatever Etcetera lengthening spring training but... rest assured... I champ at various bits waiting for this to occur and once more encourage peeps to join in on the fun. JOIN IN ON THE FUN!
Title: Re: Pretend Baseball '09?
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on March 13, 2009, 09:57:25 pm
24 DAYS UNTIL OPENING DAY, THE BEST OPENING DAY OF THE BEST!

Don't wait people, I'm talking lavish prizes here.
Canadian whiskey?
Title: Re: Pretend Baseball '09?
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on March 14, 2009, 03:39:52 am
Awwww shit.
This competition just got vicious.
Title: Re: Pretend Baseball '09?
Post by: KeithHernandez on March 17, 2009, 11:41:48 am
That still doesn't bring the people?  We seriously need at least one more.  Is there any way to get one random person, or cap the league at ten or eight and post on some random board or something?  Anyone know anyone on the outside who would want to play?  I can't thing of a single friend who would be even remotely interested. 

You can set it up so you adjust your roster once a week (for as little as 5 minutes, maybe less) and can maybe win whiskey for it.  Come on/ GOB voice.
Title: Re: Pretend Baseball '09?
Post by: miles on March 18, 2009, 01:49:11 am
I'm in.
Title: Re: Pretend Baseball '09?
Post by: littlefallsmets on March 18, 2009, 02:20:51 am
It's this damned World Baseball Classic making people forget how awesome baseball is, I'm sure of it.

C'MON! BASEBALL IS MUCH MORE AWESOME THAN WHAT'S ON THE TEEVEE NOW!
Title: Re: Pretend Baseball '09?
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on March 18, 2009, 03:16:31 am
It's this damned World Baseball Classic making people forget how awesome baseball is, I'm sure of it.

C'MON! BASEBALL IS MUCH MORE AWESOME THAN WHAT'S ON THE TEEVEE NOW!

You mean watching the U.S. lose to Puerto Rico via the slaughter rule wasn't good television?
Title: Re: Pretend Baseball '09?
Post by: JorgeFabregas on March 19, 2009, 01:49:54 pm
What kind of time committment does something like this carry?
Title: Re: Pretend Baseball '09?
Post by: miles on March 19, 2009, 02:58:16 pm
You can set it up so you adjust your roster once a week (for as little as 5 minutes, maybe less) and can maybe win whiskey for it.
Title: Re: Pretend Baseball '09?
Post by: JorgeFabregas on March 19, 2009, 03:06:30 pm
Oh burn. I guess I'm in. And there's an autodraft, eh?
Title: Re: Pretend Baseball '09?
Post by: KeithHernandez on March 23, 2009, 07:18:27 pm
So we kinda need one more, but just one more, now, right?
Title: Re: Pretend Baseball '09?
Post by: Ruta Bagas on March 23, 2009, 07:28:21 pm
I don't know anything about baseball that I didn't learn from my brother's Wii Sports but for potential whisk(e)y I will happily learn.

I mean, I know postage is a problem. You can always just transfer the booze money to my account.

There are many ways to give a man whisk(e)y.

If there's one thing in this life I'm good at it's making up numbers.
Title: Re: Pretend Baseball '09?
Post by: Ruta Bagas on March 24, 2009, 11:26:53 am
Right. I've signed up. If I have any idea what's going on by the end of this thing I will consider that a victory.
Title: Re: Pretend Baseball '09?
Post by: miles on March 24, 2009, 02:14:23 pm
Alright folks, I'm hoping miles post means we have 8 and not 7, like this morning's look see shows. That's cool but I think we can find a couple of more.

Right, I had every intention of signing up but last week has been busy at work and I can't even touch fantasy sports there. If you guys need another I'm in, if not, that's cool too. Looks like the team is locked now.
Title: Re: Pretend Baseball '09?
Post by: Harlock Hero on March 29, 2009, 04:29:02 pm
Is it too late to be in on this? I wanted to get into fantasy baseball this year, but had no idea where to begin on my own.
Title: Re: Pretend Baseball '09?
Post by: iron_felix on March 29, 2009, 11:13:32 pm
Quote from: Yahoo! Sports
Head-to-Head leagues must draft no later than March 29th to start scoring in fantasy Week 1, which runs March 30th - April 12th.

I can only tell who's running about half the teams, so I don't know how many people are interested but still haven't signed up.  We need to get everyone on board and kick things off, pronto.  I'm looking at you, 'sMets.
Title: Re: Pretend Baseball '09?
Post by: littlefallsmets on March 31, 2009, 03:54:18 pm
Oh crap... I was stalling for time to get more teams in and then I...

Misplaced my... Yahoo... password.

I have it now! I have it now...

Y'all want me to hit the autodraft button tonight?
Title: Re: Pretend Baseball '09?
Post by: JorgeFabregas on March 31, 2009, 03:59:11 pm
I'm in.  Autodraft is a different test from being able to pick your own lineup but at least it means we start with a relatively even level of talent across all teams.

I did my best to sabotage my team by tweaking my drafting order preferences last night.
Title: Re: Pretend Baseball '09?
Post by: JorgeFabregas on March 31, 2009, 11:55:10 pm
Now I'm doing a test draft (I'm new at this stuff). I am a little bit alarmed at the results.
Title: Re: Pretend Baseball '09?
Post by: littlefallsmets on April 01, 2009, 03:13:01 am
I hit movie sign.

We'll see when it kicks in.
Title: Re: Pretend Baseball '09?
Post by: Harlock Hero on April 01, 2009, 04:23:42 am
This is a "yes, it's too late to be involved", right?

Dang :(
Title: Re: Pretend Baseball '09?
Post by: KeithHernandez on April 01, 2009, 08:36:23 am
Holy shit I love my lineup.

Don't like the pitchers or backups though.
Title: Re: Pretend Baseball '09?
Post by: Ruta Bagas on April 01, 2009, 03:39:57 pm
I have a list of people!

Hooray!
Title: Re: Pretend Baseball '09?
Post by: JorgeFabregas on April 01, 2009, 04:02:00 pm
How many starting and relief pitchers actually get to start each week?
Title: Re: Pretend Baseball '09?
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on April 01, 2009, 06:08:01 pm
Lineup... good.  Starting pitching... not so good.
But I have made my way in fantasy baseball over the years by finding good spot starters on the WW.
Title: Re: Pretend Baseball '09?
Post by: JorgeFabregas on April 06, 2009, 08:24:54 pm
(http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/7/74/Ograbme.jpg)
Title: Re: Pretend Baseball '09?
Post by: lprkn on April 07, 2009, 01:11:14 am
I do not know what is happening in this drawing.
Title: Re: Pretend Baseball '09?
Post by: Ruta Bagas on April 07, 2009, 09:01:34 am
Nor do I. As such it is very much representative of my pretend baseball experience.
Title: Re: Pretend Baseball '09?
Post by: KeithHernandez on April 07, 2009, 09:27:01 am
I don't want to act like an expert, played only once two years ago, but, some basics for now are to make sure you have players who qualify for multiple positions(but not over quality), make sure you have as many players as possible playing everyday, make sure your starting pitchers (indicated by the arrow thing) who are pitching that day are in.  If you do it right you can get extra pitchers and less position players (which will help your pitching adding stats).  As the season goes on, look at the stats you are lacking in and make adjustments.  It is pretty random right now, need to let the season go for a month, especially as someone who doesn't watch/know baseball.

Basically there are two types of stats:  adding and average.  Adding stats are Runs, Home Runs, Runs Batted In, Stolen Bases, Wins, Saves and Strikeouts (Ks).  The more people you have playing everyday, and the more starting pitchers you are able to cycle in (relievers pitch more often and more sporadically, so you generally need to stay with 2-3 good closers for Saves only, though they obviously add to the other categories) the better these categories will be.  The Average, Earned Run Average, and Walks/Hits per Inning Pitched are all averages, so measure your quality.  For instance, if you meet the minimum pitch requirements (there is an inning minimum for your ERA and WHIP to count, don't know what it is) and are either winning big or losing big in Wins and Strikeouts but dominating in ERA and WHIP, you might not start any other pitchers that week, in order to keep those low.  You would still want to start your relievers, who will be able to add to your Save category and unlikely to hurt you too bad, as they only pitch one inning most night and starters pitch anywhere from 4-8 realistically.

The way to make this quickest is to do each week at once, cycling through the days to make sure your pitchers are in, etc.  You can just hit save at each new day and come back and check it for 30 seconds a day after that.  Mondays and Thursdays, once the season gets going at its usual pace in two weeks, are the days teams have off.  Usually somewhere around half of the teams don't play those days, maybe a little more.  Most other days all teams are playing.
Title: Re: Pretend Baseball '09?
Post by: JorgeFabregas on April 07, 2009, 01:46:48 pm
There is someone with Joe Mauer and Alex Rodriguez in their starting lineup. They are both extraordinary players, but they are injured. They are definitely worth holding on to if you can, but you may want to ditch your current bench players in favor of players who can fill in at 3B and Catcher.

Kelly Shoppach would probably be a pretty good stand-in at catcher and he is available if you can't make a trade. You can place one of your injured players on the DL (which is below the bench), which would open up a roster spot.
Title: Re: Pretend Baseball '09?
Post by: JorgeFabregas on April 14, 2009, 12:37:11 pm
The stats from yesterday's games seem to have been wiped out. Hmm. Not that I'm complaining.
Title: Re: Pretend Baseball '09?
Post by: JorgeFabregas on April 14, 2009, 05:19:19 pm
And they're back.
Title: Re: Pretend Baseball '09?
Post by: KeithHernandez on May 11, 2009, 11:28:02 pm
Manny got busted and can't even go on the DL, so yeah.

Holding up I think though?
Title: Re: Pretend Baseball '09?
Post by: AugustWest on May 12, 2009, 01:49:31 am
I lost 9 - 1 to a guy who left a player on the DL and an NA player active all week.
Title: Re: Pretend Baseball '09?
Post by: Ruta Bagas on May 12, 2009, 10:56:35 am
I... I completely forgot about this. I still know nothing about baseball and now I have exams.

I guess under those circumstances it's not going too badly.
Title: Re: Pretend Baseball '09?
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on May 12, 2009, 01:39:02 pm
I'm not sure.  My team seems to be quite mediocre, particularly the pitching staff.  I lack that big-name guy who you know is going to put up a good start just about every time.

Andruw Jones?  They didn't run him out of the league after last season?
Title: Re: Pretend Baseball '09?
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on June 01, 2009, 03:16:42 pm
I, Liquor Cabinet, am back in the game.
Title: Re: Pretend Baseball '09?
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on June 18, 2009, 03:08:05 am
Yeah, when that trade went down, weren't we all like "What a steal for the Nats?"  So much for that.
Title: Re: Pretend Baseball '09?
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on June 18, 2009, 01:38:54 pm
If "Josh Outman" isn't the best name for a pitcher ever, I don't know what is.
Title: Re: Pretend Baseball '09?
Post by: littlefallsmets on June 18, 2009, 06:06:36 pm
Well, Ryan Church and Brian Schneider are just giant floating garbage scows of suck, injury and fleeting hitting streaks that make you pull your hair out.

Frankly, I'd rather have nothing than those guys, Schneider's position would be filled with a better hitting catcher by default because dude just cannot hit his way out of a paper sack and Church is so streaky and one-side-of-the-plate and stupid about himself physically that it'd probably be better where if you're gonna call up Fernando Martinez two years too early like an idiot, just have the dude play every single day to develop him instead of having to mix a dud like Church into the mix.

Nothing or a guy with some ceiling injured down in AAA is still better than Ryan Church and Brian Schneider because then, at least, the Mets would be forced to acquire or play players who actually know how to hit the baseball... or develop other players to a similar point.

Being pot-committed to two players who have no business as starting major league ball players just because they were starting on a team that didn't care about winning, because your GM liked them when he was working for their former team and has something to lose reputationally by admitting they suck, is worse than nothing.

If they could be utilized as bench players, maybe two cheap okay bench players are worth more than a guy injured in AAA...

But as horrible starters, bleh. Zero is better than those two pieces of utter dross starting.
Title: Re: Pretend Baseball '09?
Post by: AugustWest on June 19, 2009, 12:19:28 am
But the Mets suck and slobber giant equine dongs,

That's a given.
Title: Re: Pretend Baseball '09?
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on June 19, 2009, 02:11:56 am
But the Mets suck and slobber giant equine dongs, on this we can reach accord.
Actually they are number 12 out of 30 on yahoo's mlb power rankings and are in second place behind the phillies in the NL East.
Title: Re: Pretend Baseball '09?
Post by: greenkoolayd on June 22, 2009, 09:02:29 pm
 “AS I’VE MENTIONED BEFORE, Any fantasy baseballist has more in common with someone who dresses as an orc on weekends than an actual athlete, because they are analyzing and processing massive data, and communicating with unknown others on the web."

-John Hodgman
Title: Re: Pretend Baseball '09?
Post by: jaydub on June 23, 2009, 05:45:12 am
That wank shoulda got a Mac, anyways.

[oh wait, he has (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Hodgman)]
Damn, that's a canning.

Its funny to think of him outside of his characterization.  I guess there's no one holding a gun to his head to be a Mac user - but he's become so identified in my mind as "PC" that it was actually a bit of a double take to think of him as a Macolyte from back in the day.
Title: Re: Pretend Baseball '09?
Post by: greenkoolayd on June 23, 2009, 09:46:59 pm
Hey, if you can't do, open up a playground of the imagination and go nuts.

i wasnt deriding the thread or the partici##### herein.  i just happened to see that on facebook and it made me think of you's.
Title: Re: Pretend Baseball '09?
Post by: KeithHernandez on June 29, 2009, 05:39:28 pm
Just put Manny in for Friday.  It's on bitches.
Title: Re: Pretend Baseball '09?
Post by: JorgeFabregas on July 05, 2009, 04:42:29 pm
Anyone need a third baseman? I have Aramis Ramirez coming off the DL on Monday and would like to deal him for some relief pitching.
Title: Re: Pretend Baseball '09?
Post by: JorgeFabregas on July 10, 2009, 01:04:05 pm
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v284/jorgefabregas/johnnycuetoline.jpg
Anyone have a line like this this season? Heh.
Title: Re: Pretend Baseball '09?
Post by: JorgeFabregas on July 10, 2009, 03:14:38 pm
Cueto has otherwise been a very good waiver wire pickup for me, so I can't complain. Plus this week I'm facing a zombie team that seems to be having bad luck besides being unmanaged--so I should be able to take the other categories.
Title: Re: Pretend Baseball '09?
Post by: AugustWest on July 10, 2009, 04:09:22 pm
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v284/jorgefabregas/johnnycuetoline.jpg
Anyone have a line like this this season? Heh.

Jinkies!
Title: Re: Pretend Baseball '09?
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on July 10, 2009, 04:11:50 pm
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v284/jorgefabregas/johnnycuetoline.jpg
Anyone have a line like this this season? Heh.

If anyone was foolish enough to pick up Joel Hanrahan, then yes.
Title: Re: Pretend Baseball '09?
Post by: pmcd9 on July 10, 2009, 10:57:00 pm
Who you puttin' in coach?  I'm puttin' in the Out Man!
Title: Re: Pretend Baseball '09?
Post by: KeithHernandez on July 13, 2009, 09:59:54 am
So I was in second most of the first half of the year, dropped to second last week, and really wanted to get back to second this week.  Went 8-2, only so did the second place person (who is half a game ahead of me).  But I played the, at the time, 4th team and he played the 8th or 9th.  It's not fair I tells you.  It just ain't fair.
Title: Re: Pretend Baseball '09?
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on July 13, 2009, 01:48:18 pm
Meh.  It means very little until the playoffs, methinks.
Title: Re: Pretend Baseball '09?
Post by: JorgeFabregas on July 13, 2009, 02:27:07 pm
So I was in second most of the first half of the year, dropped to second last week, and really wanted to get back to second this week.  Went 8-2, only so did the second place person (who is half a game ahead of me).  But I played the, at the time, 4th team and he played the 8th or 9th.  It's not fair I tells you.  It just ain't fair.
*waves* I was playing a zombie team--like I said.
Title: Re: Pretend Baseball '09?
Post by: KeithHernandez on July 13, 2009, 09:52:58 pm
Meh.  It means very little until the playoffs, methinks.

Oh I know, just want to win and I set goals.  Just the way I am.
Title: Re: Pretend Baseball '09?
Post by: AugustWest on July 28, 2009, 02:13:46 pm
What happened to Monday's stats?
Title: Re: Pretend Baseball '09?
Post by: JorgeFabregas on July 28, 2009, 02:35:27 pm
Sometimes it just takes a while for them to update.
Title: Re: Pretend Baseball '09?
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on August 15, 2009, 03:42:23 pm
Nearly all of my players are on the disabled list, I have no idea how to fix my team.
Title: Re: Pretend Baseball '09?
Post by: JorgeFabregas on August 15, 2009, 05:34:18 pm
Way to get after then last night, boys!
Heh. They managed to more than make up for Frank Francisco's line between the two of them.
Title: Re: Pretend Baseball '09?
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on August 26, 2009, 01:02:51 pm
Hey!  Did you know that our season has no playoffs?  It's just one big table for the season!
Here I've been just trying to maintain playoff position.  Oh well.
Title: Re: Pretend Baseball '09?
Post by: AugustWest on August 26, 2009, 01:47:51 pm
Ruh Roh.
Title: Re: Pretend Baseball '09?
Post by: jaydub on August 26, 2009, 04:20:28 pm
For damn sure you don't want to be sharing the room with Shaggy after his morning coffee.
Title: Re: Pretend Baseball '09?
Post by: jaydub on September 28, 2009, 11:54:31 pm
Goddamn, now I'm all thirsty for whiskey.  And here I am sitting at work.
Title: Re: Pretend Baseball '09?
Post by: JorgeFabregas on September 29, 2009, 05:08:55 pm
What is the deal with the last week of competition being 14 days?
Title: Re: Pretend Baseball '09?
Post by: AugustWest on September 29, 2009, 05:47:19 pm
What is the deal with the last week of competition being 14 days?

Wait, what?
Title: Re: Pretend Baseball '09?
Post by: JorgeFabregas on September 29, 2009, 06:12:52 pm
Quote
Week 25: Sep 21 - Oct 4
Title: Re: Pretend Baseball '09?
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on September 29, 2009, 06:46:27 pm
Last year the playoff final was over two weeks, presumably to make it more dramatic.  Perhaps they're just maintaining the schedule across all the games.

It might also be that September call-ups make individual playing time a little more scarce, so they're trying to even that out.
Title: Re: Pretend Baseball '09?
Post by: AugustWest on October 05, 2009, 06:37:22 pm
Congratulations Fightin' Pholigistons!