The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Achewood => Achewood => Topic started by: Cap'n Squeakers on February 26, 2009, 10:40:46 pm

Title: February 26th, 2009 - A MAN IN WHOSE ****** HANGS THE SPECTER OF DEATH
Post by: Cap'n Squeakers on February 26, 2009, 10:40:46 pm
Onstad brings the goods (http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=02262009).  All is forgiven.

Seriously the best strip in months (that makes it best of.. five, I guess).  Angsty Roast Beef, screaming angrily at his limp pecker, resulting in an irritated Molly. It is like old times, man.
Title: Re: February 26th, 2009 - A MAN IN WHOSE ****** HANGS THE SPECTER OF DEATH
Post by: littlefallsmets on February 26, 2009, 11:01:22 pm
It is lesbian bed death except with a dude and a lady, Roast Beef.

It is natural.

Roast Beef, inform Dracula that this is entirely natural.
Title: Re: February 26th, 2009 - A MAN IN WHOSE ****** HANGS THE SPECTER OF DEATH
Post by: Toaster on February 26, 2009, 11:03:45 pm
Oh, damn. This, right here? This is the business. This is cask strength funny

"Show up with [appropriate pronoun] bro up" is simply grand.

Is the last panel foreshadowing some adventure at Comic-Con? I hope so.
Title: Re: February 26th, 2009 - A MAN IN WHOSE ****** HANGS THE SPECTER OF DEATH
Post by: Cap'n Squeakers on February 26, 2009, 11:15:00 pm
Is the last panel foreshadowing some adventure at Comic-Con? I hope so.

Well, Mr. O-Sizzle is here in San Francisco for WonderCon this weekend, so I guess it's on his mind.  Along with floppy wieners.
Title: Re: February 26th, 2009 - A MAN IN WHOSE ****** HANGS THE SPECTER OF DEATH
Post by: wombat on February 26, 2009, 11:27:58 pm
OMG, Onstad at a comics convention. Times sure have changed.

I think "Floppy Weiners" would be a great band name, but I guess no guys would come to the concerts?
Title: Re: February 26th, 2009 - A MAN IN WHOSE ****** HANGS THE SPECTER OF DEATH
Post by: lprkn on February 26, 2009, 11:38:10 pm
All is forgiven.
Title: Re: February 26th, 2009 - A MAN IN WHOSE ****** HANGS THE SPECTER OF DEATH
Post by: guns and cigarettes on February 26, 2009, 11:38:48 pm
Quite impressive, you know, dongwise.

This is my first laugh out loud moment at an Achewood strip in quite some time. I am full.

"worked up silent dork without sex ability seeks oblivion and demise"
Title: Re: February 26th, 2009 - A MAN IN WHOSE ****** HANGS THE SPECTER OF DEATH
Post by: lprkn on February 26, 2009, 11:44:07 pm
Phillipe is standing on it! Here comes a special boy! Don't get any on the Mayor!

...oh god
Title: Re: February 26th, 2009 - A MAN IN WHOSE ****** HANGS THE SPECTER OF DEATH
Post by: jay-ell on February 27, 2009, 12:43:30 am

"Show up with [appropriate pronoun] bro up" is simply grand.


QFT.  Best line, hands down, in this strip. 

Dude's on a roll.  Good on him!  I wish I could hit a creative groove like the one he's been on. 
Title: Re: February 26th, 2009 - A MAN IN WHOSE ****** HANGS THE SPECTER OF DEATH
Post by: CortJstr on February 27, 2009, 12:48:41 am
Wow, I was really expecting 4 or 5 good punchline suggestions when I got here. But then, I got nothing so I can't really complain.
Title: Re: February 26th, 2009 - A MAN IN WHOSE ****** HANGS THE SPECTER OF DEATH
Post by: sje46 on February 27, 2009, 01:16:12 am
DAng it, I didn't like this one as much as you guys did.
It was okay.
I gave it a two, and I normally only give fours and fives.
Title: Re: February 26th, 2009 - A MAN IN WHOSE ****** HANGS THE SPECTER OF DEATH
Post by: Bimmicus on February 27, 2009, 03:13:09 am
Beef is a man who gets mad when the Jim won't stand up. I know just how he feels.
Title: Re: February 26th, 2009 - A MAN IN WHOSE ****** HANGS THE SPECTER OF DEATH
Post by: Doc on February 27, 2009, 05:52:45 am
Horrible things/Social awkwardness happening to a beloved character: Check.
Deliciously contorted wordplay and/or imagery: Check
'Dracula': Double Check
Molly is a bitch: Check.

We're firing on all cylinders today people!
Title: Re: February 26th, 2009 - A MAN IN WHOSE ****** HANGS THE SPECTER OF DEATH
Post by: littlefallsmets on February 27, 2009, 06:55:30 am
See, I don't see where Molly was being a bitch.

I see a man who has to be nigh-impossible to live with and this girl's basically laughing off his ridiculous madness and will most likely have sex with him whenever it is that Dracula next rises from the rotten ruins of his fallen castlewalls.

Molly's doin' The Lord's work and, yeah, The Lord's work is a motherfucker but she keeps on keeping on.
Title: Re: February 26th, 2009 - A MAN IN WHOSE ****** HANGS THE SPECTER OF DEATH
Post by: jaydub on February 27, 2009, 07:22:33 am
Wait a minnit - is Bush back in the White House?  'Cause its sure as hell feeling like 2004 all of a sudden.
Title: Re: February 26th, 2009 - A MAN IN WHOSE ****** HANGS THE SPECTER OF DEATH
Post by: miles on February 27, 2009, 07:49:25 am
Beef is a man who gets mad when the Jim won't stand up. I know just how he feels.

Yep. And Molly, you lost some points for being a Bitch. For all Beef knows he has cancer of the dick and you're asking if it's you? FUCK you. Be supportive. You know how he is. You should have stopped after "it happens to every guy at some point."

And, agreed. "I always show up with my bro up" is spectacular.
Title: Re: February 26th, 2009 - A MAN IN WHOSE ****** HANGS THE SPECTER OF DEATH
Post by: Toaster on February 27, 2009, 08:11:21 am
...and, yeah, The Lord's work is a motherfucker but she keeps on keeping on.

This is exactly what I needed to hear today. Thank you. I'll put that sentence in my pocket for when I have a Worry. Right next to my Worry Pills.
Title: Re: February 26th, 2009 - A MAN IN WHOSE ****** HANGS THE SPECTER OF DEATH
Post by: wombat on February 27, 2009, 01:41:02 pm
Yep. And Molly, you lost some points for being a Bitch. For all Beef knows he has cancer of the dick and you're asking if it's you? FUCK you. Be supportive. You know how he is. You should have stopped after "it happens to every guy at some point."

Miles, you are just wrong here. Why is the guy the only one who's allowed to have sexual insecurities?

LFM hits it on the head. I know a little bit about what it's like to live with Roast Beef, and you guys just have to cut that girl some slack.
Title: Re: February 26th, 2009 - A MAN IN WHOSE ****** HANGS THE SPECTER OF DEATH
Post by: Doc on February 27, 2009, 01:49:31 pm
I didn't actually read the text, I just saw Molly and figured 'bitch'. You guys might be overthinking it.
Title: Re: February 26th, 2009 - A MAN IN WHOSE ****** HANGS THE SPECTER OF DEATH
Post by: miles on February 27, 2009, 02:24:11 pm
I was excessively harsh, sure, because I was drunk-ish, and of course not only guys are allowed insecurities. And I've always liked Molly. However, judging from the text itself, this hasn't happened to Beef before (at least not often). I would fully expect Beef to cut Molly some slack if she, say, just wasn't into it one evening, and not start accusing her of sleeping around. He probably wouldn't, and he'd be an asshole for it. But let me also say that Beef clearly wasn't just not into it, he simply wasn't able to get it up. If Molly had some sort of physiological issue that prevented her from getting it on, and Beef was just concerned about whether it had something to do with him, he'd be even more of an asshole for it.

And like it or not, the functionality of a dude's junk is inseparable from his sense of masculinity, which makes it all the more sensitive of a subject for Beef. I'm writing a paper on Onstad's investigation of phallic size and functionality and how it almost exclusively determines what it is to be a modern man. Usually he focuses on Ray in this area, but here we see him focusing on Beef's struggle to come to grips, ahem, with his masculinity. I'll post more about it later.

Or I could be over thinking it, like Doc said.
Title: Re: February 26th, 2009 - A MAN IN WHOSE ****** HANGS THE SPECTER OF DEATH
Post by: lprkn on February 27, 2009, 02:42:44 pm
As long as you don't use some ridiculous font, dude.
Title: Re: February 26th, 2009 - A MAN IN WHOSE ****** HANGS THE SPECTER OF DEATH
Post by: Doc on February 27, 2009, 02:46:05 pm
I mean, I'm cool with overthinking.
That's basically how I spend most of my spare time.
Title: Re: February 26th, 2009 - A MAN IN WHOSE ****** HANGS THE SPECTER OF DEATH
Post by: wombat on February 27, 2009, 03:05:11 pm
As long as you don't use some ridiculous font, dude.

Seconded.
Title: Re: February 26th, 2009 - A MAN IN WHOSE ****** HANGS THE SPECTER OF DEATH
Post by: miles on February 27, 2009, 03:26:47 pm
It's really part of a series of lectures I'm developing on the subject. I'm also looking at the history of rock music. See, when Jimi Hendrix destroyed his guitar, one of two preeminent phallic symbols in American popular culture, he wasn't just being a badass rock star, he was deconstructing masculinity. However when Pete Townshend performed live with his signature windmill, he was merely beating off.

I also explore De Palma's Scarface. When Tony Montana, in a cocaine-fueled, gun-wielding rage (the gun being the other major phallic symbol, of course), shouts "say hello to my little friend," he's clearly compensating for his lack of size and his impotence in bed. His thought was "I may not be able to get it up, but I'll mow all you motherfuckers down." In the days before Viagra, cocaine was sometimes used to aide in sexual function. Perhaps Ray's white vanilla sheet cake is his sexual aide. His cocaine, if you will.

Most tellingly, as a white man sometimes writing in a black man's voice, Onstad is hinting at his own insecurities by referencing the "opposite race." For more on this, check out the series "Big Black Dicks, Little White Chicks." Particularly vol. 7, where a well-hung black male engages in coitus with a petite white woman, while her cuckolded, less well-endowed husband looks on helplessly, yet curiously aroused.
Title: Re: February 26th, 2009 - A MAN IN WHOSE ****** HANGS THE SPECTER OF DEATH
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on February 27, 2009, 07:47:10 pm
Agreed. Couldnt have done it better myself.
Title: Re: February 26th, 2009 - A MAN IN WHOSE ****** HANGS THE SPECTER OF DEATH
Post by: TripperDay on February 27, 2009, 09:09:38 pm
Is there a way to become special enough to give away tiny cans of Dr. Pepper? I want to give one to miles.
Title: Re: February 26th, 2009 - A MAN IN WHOSE ****** HANGS THE SPECTER OF DEATH
Post by: lprkn on February 27, 2009, 09:10:57 pm
I think you have to post a certain number of times, like 20 or so. So: incentive to post more!
Title: Re: February 26th, 2009 - A MAN IN WHOSE ****** HANGS THE SPECTER OF DEATH
Post by: CortJstr on February 27, 2009, 09:22:37 pm
Is there a way to become special enough to give away tiny cans of Dr. Pepper? I want to give one to miles.

I think you have to have 10 or 25 posts. And probably have a positive number of cans yourself.
Title: Re: February 26th, 2009 - A MAN IN WHOSE ****** HANGS THE SPECTER OF DEATH
Post by: Toaster on February 27, 2009, 10:17:43 pm
It is always nice to welcome a new person into our folds. I was a new person, once. I mean, I'm not new anymore, right?
Title: Re: February 26th, 2009 - A MAN IN WHOSE ****** HANGS THE SPECTER OF DEATH
Post by: jaydub on February 27, 2009, 10:19:09 pm
n00b question
Title: Re: February 26th, 2009 - A MAN IN WHOSE ****** HANGS THE SPECTER OF DEATH
Post by: pmcd9 on February 27, 2009, 11:03:52 pm
It is always nice to welcome a new person into our folds. I was a new person, once. I mean, I'm not new anymore, right?


Did we give you a birthday threat?