The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Achewood => Achewood => Topic started by: JorgeFabregas on March 03, 2009, 02:41:45 am

Title: 3/2/2009 Hup-huppin' with a case of Mickey's grenades on his shoulder
Post by: JorgeFabregas on March 03, 2009, 02:41:45 am
http://achewood.com/index.php?date=03022009

An ok strip and relevant to the talk re: modern male identity 'round here. Kind of lost steam with the whole "barn door" angle.
Title: Re: 3/2/2009 Hup-huppin' with a case of Mickey's grenades on his shoulder
Post by: miles on March 03, 2009, 02:57:13 am
"Crackin' OEs and Packin' PS3s" is sure to make it into my homeboy lexicon. Probably this week, when I go to by buddy's house to play some PS3. He always has a fridge full of Bud Lights, but this time I'll introduce him to the world of the 40 oz.
Title: Re: 3/2/2009 Hup-huppin' with a case of Mickey's grenades on his shoulder
Post by: wombat on March 03, 2009, 02:59:35 am
I only understand about half of this but it is obviously an idea of true genius. The one Courtesy Slice is particularly fine. Don't anyone say Ray doesn't pay attention to the details.
Title: Re: 3/2/2009 Hup-huppin' with a case of Mickey's grenades on his shoulder
Post by: CortJstr on March 03, 2009, 03:00:10 am
Any help on "Mickey's grenades"?

The completely unnecessary capping of Courtesy Slice is exactly what I would expect from a brochure like this.
Title: Re: 3/2/2009 Hup-huppin' with a case of Mickey's grenades on his shoulder
Post by: Toaster on March 03, 2009, 03:05:10 am
Do not exceed maximum dosage of Emergency Homeboys. Do not use maximum dosage of Emergency Homeboys for a period of more than 2 weeks. Those who abuse Emergency Homeboys may become dependant. Emergency Homeboys may have unfavorable interactions with any homeboys you may already have.

NOT FOR INTERNAL USE
Title: Re: 3/2/2009 Hup-huppin' with a case of Mickey's grenades on his shoulder
Post by: littlefallsmets on March 03, 2009, 03:10:28 am
Mickey's grenades, I believe, are the smaller-serving bottles of Mickey's Wide Mouths.

You know, because those little things look like grenades.

ALSO: Do homeboys really play a lot of video games? Somehow, I doubt it. It ain't ghetto when I fire up Dr. Mario, I can tell you that much.
Title: Re: 3/2/2009 Hup-huppin' with a case of Mickey's grenades on his shoulder
Post by: JorgeFabregas on March 03, 2009, 03:12:17 am
ALSO: Do homeboys really play a lot of video games? Somehow, I doubt it. It ain't ghetto when I fire up Dr. Mario, I can tell you that much.
1. You are operating with a narrow definition of homeboy.
2. Yes, yes, yes they do.
Title: Re: 3/2/2009 Hup-huppin' with a case of Mickey's grenades on his shoulder
Post by: miles on March 03, 2009, 03:20:08 am
Well, this is what Biggie Smalls (RIP) had to say on the subject:

Super Nintendo, Sega Genesis / When I was dead broke, man I couldn't picture this

This is from his song "Juicy" which chronicles his rise from projects to "Condos in Queens."

Yeah, so what?
Title: Re: 3/2/2009 Hup-huppin' with a case of Mickey's grenades on his shoulder
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on March 03, 2009, 03:26:12 am
And if the wireless internet services used the transmission control protocol, it would be TCP@TCB@TCBYS.

Also, the eminent male blackness of this comic illustrated the castration anxieties of the American Male as respects the lack of male mythology and hero worship in a post-antinomist age. To wit, the wheelchair-bound "Garlic" represents the intrinsic Male need for immortality of shared ethics and ideas (vis. the female need for immortality via giving birth, something men can no longer do since Women's Lib). Yet "Garlic" also represents the propagation of Black American culture, for only the Ife and Yoruba people that formed the basis of Black America venerate their elders (the rest set their elders on an ice floe, which is unknown in West Africa; ice is substituted by carob and okra in cooking). Onstad, as a member of a hegemonic White culture (and Norwegian, thus firmly in the ice-floe camp, natch) expresses his desire to identify with Male Hero Worship and thus opts this route rather than the traditional white-castrated-male-oligarchic method of using Campbellian motifs in the works of George Lucas.
Title: Re: 3/2/2009 Hup-huppin' with a case of Mickey's grenades on his shoulder
Post by: miles on March 03, 2009, 03:30:11 am
Bobby, you had me at "to wit."
Title: Re: 3/2/2009 Hup-huppin' with a case of Mickey's grenades on his shoulder
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on March 03, 2009, 03:31:27 am
Bobby, you had me at "to wit."

one could say i'm a real font of knowledge wocka wocka wocka
Title: Re: 3/2/2009 Hup-huppin' with a case of Mickey's grenades on his shoulder
Post by: KeithHernandez on March 03, 2009, 07:49:46 am
Oh no this again.

Also, mickey's grenades are as described by LFM, but even if he is taking a very narrow view of homeboy, they play a lot of video games.  A lot.
Title: Re: 3/2/2009 Hup-huppin' with a case of Mickey's grenades on his shoulder
Post by: Doc on March 03, 2009, 09:59:27 am
Yeah, there was a moment in highschool when I realised that all the gangster wanna be's used to head down to the internet cafe and play counterstrike after school that made me reevaluate myself as closer to the mean. Video games are a legit manly past time now. See also: Reign O'er me. That whole movie is Adam Sandler and Don Cheadle playing video games as a form of manly bonding. At least until the stupid ending.
Title: Re: 3/2/2009 Hup-huppin' with a case of Mickey's grenades on his shoulder
Post by: littlefallsmets on March 03, 2009, 10:00:50 am
I just... I don't know.

What would be the point of being a damn homeboy if you're gonna do the same thing a nerd's doing?

Isn't the whole point of not being a nerd is that you're open to sex and drugs and the occasional violence?

Isn't a... ahhhhh, I dunno. I was born in the Seventies, I guess, I'm old now.

I guess all I'm arguing is that my notion of a homeboy is less "limited" and more simply "antiquated".

The homeboys that the television taught me of in the early 1990s were not going to choose Wii Boxing or World of Warcraft over smoking a joint laced with opium and then having meaningless sex with a woman whose bodyweight was 50% in her ass... possibly having to rough up her boyfriend so that you could keep having sex with the bottom heavy lady and then maybe riding a pointlessly modified car home at four in the morning.

If I am guilty of anything, it is the only thing I have ever been guilty of: watching too much teevee.
Title: Re: 3/2/2009 Hup-huppin' with a case of Mickey's grenades on his shoulder
Post by: Doc on March 03, 2009, 10:38:36 am
Nah man, you better believe that those dudes love to throw down in some halo while they're drinking their 2 dollar six packs, and if there's girls around a wii is perfect party game. I've even know sporty motherfuckers who thrown down in Azeroth. Those boundaries are shifting a bit with this generation, doing something doesn't nerdify you as much as not being able to do something (sports or whatever). Knowing too much might still be suspect too.
Title: Re: 3/2/2009 Hup-huppin' with a case of Mickey's grenades on his shoulder
Post by: jay-ell on March 03, 2009, 02:35:04 pm
Yeah, and you know why it's PS3s and not xBoxes, right? 

Three words: Grand Theft Auto. 

Yeah, it's out on the xBox *now.*  But in my experience, when I worked at a major gaming retailer (during the San Andreas launch, no less), a lot of the homeboys who came in looking for PS2 games because they had gone Sony back when the original was released as a PS exclusive.  Brand loyalty is a Big Deal.  We could have had fights in the store if we hadn't kept our xBox games on one side and the PS games on the other. 

And the PS gamers would have won, every damn time. 
Title: Re: 3/2/2009 Hup-huppin' with a case of Mickey's grenades on his shoulder
Post by: lprkn on March 03, 2009, 03:59:03 pm
Yeah, I'd have to say the PS2 was the platform choice of the masses. Everybody I knew had one. And platform choice could definitely be a contentious issue.

Speaking of, has anybody but me played the Street Fighter 2 revamp that just got released on PS Network and Xbox Live? I still suck just like I used to, but damn if that isn't a fun game.
Title: Re: 3/2/2009 Hup-huppin' with a case of Mickey's grenades on his shoulder
Post by: Ben-San on March 03, 2009, 08:29:04 pm
This one time back in high school a bunch of homeboys asked me to explain to them how an atomic bomb works. So I did, to the best of my abilities. They seemed pretty impressed.
Title: Re: 3/2/2009 Hup-huppin' with a case of Mickey's grenades on his shoulder
Post by: TripperDay on March 03, 2009, 09:15:10 pm
Restaurants are always testing temperature and the thermometers are calibrated by making sure a glass of ice water is 32 degrees. One of my coworkers asked how they knew it was 32, and I asked if she wanted the long answer or short answer. Short answer: "Because if it was 31, it would be all ice, and if it was 33, it would be all water. THEN, of course, I had to get into the long answer about calories and heat of fusion.
Title: Re: 3/2/2009 Hup-huppin' with a case of Mickey's grenades on his shoulder
Post by: jaydub on March 03, 2009, 09:19:30 pm
Canned for conciseness. 
Title: Re: 3/2/2009 Hup-huppin' with a case of Mickey's grenades on his shoulder
Post by: lprkn on March 03, 2009, 09:35:00 pm
I guess I've always considered 'homeboy' to be more or less interchangeable with 'dude.'

This may be a function of attending middle school and high school with a lot of non-white people in California.
Title: Re: 3/2/2009 Hup-huppin' with a case of Mickey's grenades on his shoulder
Post by: JorgeFabregas on March 04, 2009, 12:58:42 am
I guess I've always considered 'homeboy' to be more or less interchangeable with 'dude.'
Yes.
It has other other connotations, but this is the main usage in achewood so far as I can tell.
http://achewood.com/index.php?date=02212007
http://achewood.com/index.php?date=03102008
http://achewood.com/index.php?date=09192008

The exception being The Sexual Homeboys, who "have a car where the hydraulics actually spin the body in a circle above the stationary chassis."
Title: Re: 3/2/2009 Hup-huppin' with a case of Mickey's grenades on his shoulder
Post by: Doc on March 04, 2009, 05:08:02 am
Man, I think that will always be a key identifier.

This makes me a little sad.
Title: Re: 3/2/2009 Hup-huppin' with a case of Mickey's grenades on his shoulder
Post by: herofix on March 04, 2009, 02:09:21 pm

Quote
This makes me a little sad.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wz40P1hFvWs
Title: Re: 3/2/2009 Hup-huppin' with a case of Mickey's grenades on his shoulder
Post by: jaydub on March 04, 2009, 08:03:42 pm
Man, I think that will always be a key identifier.

1950
(http://tbn0.google.com/images?q=tbn:8RKUmHpDg2edrM:http://www.nonstick.com/characters/pics/eggheadjr.jpg)

1993
(http://tbn2.google.com/images?q=tbn:De8GqfaxGKrkXM:http://bungholeworld.tripod.com/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/bbdaria.gif)

2000
(http://www.fotolode.com/images/jaydub/brightndull.jpg)


Yeah, it ain't changing much, is it?

n.b. I voted for the dimmer guy in 2000 - because I think the brighter guy is all style and no substance.  Suspicious, if you ask me...