The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Achewood => Achewood => Topic started by: wombat on March 11, 2009, 12:06:37 am

Title: New West Turpentine Shakes - March 10 2009
Post by: wombat on March 11, 2009, 12:06:37 am
http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=03102009 (http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=03102009)

Apparently you are all too busy talking about seven grain bread and hot lesbian waitresses to read the strip?

You're missing seeing Lyle in a shirt and tie, which is remarkable even if the tie is not tied.
Title: Re: New West Turpentine Shakes - March 10 2009
Post by: jay-ell on March 11, 2009, 12:09:36 am
I sort of despise Lyle, but a multi-part origin story is just too much to resist. 
Title: Re: New West Turpentine Shakes - March 10 2009
Post by: Cap'n Squeakers on March 11, 2009, 12:19:07 am
More Lyle? Yes, please! 

Can someone explain panel six to me?  Did Onstad accidentally cut 'n' paste the wrong text into this strip?  Is the
Achewood-o-matic (http://achewood.com/index.php?date=03242008) on the fritz?
Title: Re: New West Turpentine Shakes - March 10 2009
Post by: wombat on March 11, 2009, 12:22:42 am
In panel six the teddy bear in the turtleneck is demonstrating to the other, drunken lout of an animal what boring topics of conversation he will resort to if the origin story is not told.

Also, the thread title should be "unless you want to ghost-write this as an actual ghost."
Title: Re: New West Turpentine Shakes - March 10 2009
Post by: Cap'n Squeakers on March 11, 2009, 12:37:37 am
In panel six the teddy bear in the turtleneck is demonstrating to the other, drunken lout of an animal what boring topics of conversation he will resort to if the origin story is not told.

His activity is so poorly conveyed.
Title: Re: New West Turpentine Shakes - March 10 2009
Post by: CortJstr on March 11, 2009, 12:48:24 am
In panel six the teddy bear in the turtleneck is demonstrating to the other, drunken lout of an animal what boring topics of conversation he will resort to if the origin story is not told.

Also, the thread title should be "unless you want to ghost-write this as an actual ghost."

Did you just correct your own thread title?

Oh, and "Archer at the 75"? What?
Title: Re: New West Turpentine Shakes - March 10 2009
Post by: jay-ell on March 11, 2009, 12:48:57 am
I like the idea of being boring so as to coerce other people into being more interesting.  

I think this is my super power.  
Title: Re: New West Turpentine Shakes - March 10 2009
Post by: jay-ell on March 11, 2009, 12:52:21 am
Did you just correct your own thread title?

Oh, and "Archer at the 75"? What?

I can only assume he means Archer Street at the junction with I-75.  Which runs through Gainesville, conveniently enough. 

(Also, Detroit.  I-75 is a long and lonesome highway, which incidentally is also east of Omaha.) 

Edit: Here's the intersection (http://"http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=I-75+and+Archer+gainesville+FL&sll=29.633457,-82.41806&sspn=0.163831,0.30899&ie=UTF8&ll=29.59945,-82.420163&spn=0.009814,0.019312&z=16"), but there doesn't appear to be a Golden Arches there. 
Title: Re: New West Turpentine Shakes - March 10 2009
Post by: KeithHernandez on March 11, 2009, 12:54:24 am
Did you just correct your own thread title?

Oh, and "Archer at the 75"? What?

Too long, right?
Title: Re: New West Turpentine Shakes - March 10 2009
Post by: Hobo Joe on March 11, 2009, 01:04:05 am
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=Gainesville,+FL+archer+st.+i75&sll=29.508492,-82.423382&sspn=0.065733,0.109177&g=gainesville,+fl+++archer+75&ie=UTF8&ll=29.622191,-82.384501&spn=0.016415,0.027294&t=h&z=15&iwloc=addr&layer=c&cbll=29.618209,-82.384473&panoid=VYsaN1LEX1IXHMG9ddekSQ&cbp=12,49.92533799482407,,1,5.000000000000001

There is clearly a McDonalds at that intersection.
Title: Re: New West Turpentine Shakes - March 10 2009
Post by: jay-ell on March 11, 2009, 01:07:49 am
I stand corrected. 
Title: Re: New West Turpentine Shakes - March 10 2009
Post by: lprkn on March 11, 2009, 01:23:31 am
Aw shit! Hobo Joe, where the fuck you come from?

So I am wondering, is this Lyle with the beard, or Lyle's dad?

Inquiring trolls want to know what it means to be an alcoholic tiger with flexible sexuality in today's society.
Title: Unless you want to ghost-write this as an actual ghost - March 10 2009
Post by: wombat on March 11, 2009, 01:41:20 am
Did you just correct your own thread title?

It just seemed only fair for a change.
Title: Re: Unless you want to ghost-write this as an actual ghost - March 10 2009
Post by: MagFlare on March 11, 2009, 01:56:33 am
It just seemed only fair for a change.

But you were mistaken. "Fuckin' left coast power wimp" is the correct thread title. The strip's punchline is a borderline pun and has no business being commemorated here.
Title: Re: New West Turpentine Shakes - March 10 2009
Post by: littlefallsmets on March 11, 2009, 02:15:00 am
My brain froze up at "mud pooter".

That sounds like what your gay grandfather would call his lover's ass.

Just froze up right there. Everything else went around my head.
Title: Re: New West Turpentine Shakes - March 10 2009
Post by: miles on March 11, 2009, 02:29:11 am
My brain froze up at "mud pooter".

That sounds like what your gay grandfather would call his lover's ass.

If he lived in Tupelo, right. That's totally the image my brain was going for but couldn't quite make it to.

Also, I loves me some Lyle. I have this (http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=12202001) framed on my wall, and look at it every morning when I get up.
Title: Re: New West Turpentine Shakes - March 10 2009
Post by: Doc on March 11, 2009, 02:58:58 am
Great strip but I'm just confused we actually got a follow through on one of the 'next year in achewood' strips.

Also Lyle's ability to perceive that as being a woman must use a sense I am unfamiliar with. I glanced at the panel before I started reading and assumed it was one of his fry jockies.
Title: Re: New West Turpentine Shakes - March 10 2009
Post by: Bimmicus on March 11, 2009, 03:26:30 am
Also Lyle's ability to perceive that as being a woman must use a sense I am unfamiliar with.

It's a sense that comes naturally when you spend too much time in places like Gainesville.
Title: Re: New West Turpentine Shakes - March 10 2009
Post by: jay-ell on March 11, 2009, 03:27:16 am
I just got it! 

I just realized that I subconsciously associate Gainesville with Mr. Gaines from A Different World! 

It all makes sense now! 
Title: Re: New West Turpentine Shakes - March 10 2009
Post by: Choop on March 11, 2009, 04:58:04 am
oh underline tag how you disappoint

who else tried to click A Different World up there?
Title: Re: New West Turpentine Shakes - March 10 2009
Post by: Doc on March 11, 2009, 05:45:01 am
Me (I did).
Title: Re: Unless you want to ghost-write this as an actual ghost - March 10 2009
Post by: Ruta Bagas on March 11, 2009, 09:46:48 am
But you were mistaken. "Fuckin' left coast power wimp" is the correct thread title. The strip's punchline is a borderline pun and has no business being commemorated here.

You take that back!
Title: Re: Unless you want to ghost-write this as an actual ghost - March 10 2009
Post by: MagFlare on March 11, 2009, 02:45:13 pm
You take that back!

Never, sir. There's only one appropriate place for puns: immediately preceding the phrase "no pun intended," in which case they're being apologized for.

And in Family Circus, I guess, because the only people who read Family Circus are about to die anyway.
Title: Re: New West Turpentine Shakes - March 10 2009
Post by: pmcd9 on March 11, 2009, 03:05:57 pm
No pun in ten did.
Title: Re: New West Turpentine Shakes - March 10 2009
Post by: Ruta Bagas on March 11, 2009, 04:09:53 pm
Never, sir.

Then we shall have to settle this like gentlemen.

By agreeing it is a trivial matter.
Title: Re: Unless you want to ghost-write this as an actual ghost - March 10 2009
Post by: lprkn on March 11, 2009, 05:59:54 pm
"no pun intended"

I take the alternate view. All puns are always intended, all the time. When you say "no pun intended" you're just trying to highlight your own cleverness, and therefore annoying me.
Title: Re: Unless you want to ghost-write this as an actual ghost - March 10 2009
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on March 12, 2009, 12:43:24 am
I take the alternate view. All puns are always intended, all the time. When you say "no pun intended" you're just trying to highlight your own cleverness, and therefore annoying me.

All of you are wrong. There is a legitimate use for the phrase, and here is an example.

I manage a software application called Insight. It is having some persistent problems. We are trying to use various diagnostic tools to find out what is wrong with it. These tools are coming up bust. We are trying to find better tools and explain why the tools we have haven't worked. In many cases the sentence will go akin to: "X tool hasn't given us any, pun not intended, insight into what's going on in the internals."

There are precious few synonyms that convey both the concepts of visibility and intuition. In such a case, insight is the best word to use, and thus the pun needs to be eradicated as the reason for saying so.
Title: Re: New West Turpentine Shakes - March 10 2009
Post by: Toaster on March 12, 2009, 01:12:59 am
I think there is a marked difference between "pun not intended" and "no pun intended". The former is, I agree, atrocious. The latter is something I don't find offensive.
Title: Re: New West Turpentine Shakes - March 10 2009
Post by: MagFlare on March 12, 2009, 03:29:12 am
Then we shall have to settle this like gentlemen.

By agreeing it is a trivial matter.

/visibly deflates
Title: Re: New West Turpentine Shakes - March 10 2009
Post by: lprkn on March 12, 2009, 04:06:48 am
/gives tiny can
Title: Re: New West Turpentine Shakes - March 10 2009
Post by: MoreNigiriSushi on March 14, 2009, 05:21:20 pm
"... how gingivitis tastes on a backwash of alcohol-style corn fluid", in addition to being awesome on its own, also gave me a slight frisson of pleasure in realizing that Onstad might also read The Fiver (http://football.guardian.co.uk/fiver/).