The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Achewood => Achewood => Topic started by: Cioran on April 06, 2009, 05:40:12 pm

Title: The black oneiric frame.
Post by: Cioran on April 06, 2009, 05:40:12 pm
Two modes of the strip: day and night.

Day are the jokes and funny arcs.

Night...Night is Cartilage Head. The transfer station. The day the Achewood machine broke. The helicopter with the very long legs. There are no explanations, no punchlines. There is unease, fear, wrongness. There is silence.

These dark dreams [INSERT SYNONYM FOR 'LIMN' HERE] the bright. When you sail over the edge you find yourself there.
Title: Re: The black oneiric frame.
Post by: Harlock Hero on April 06, 2009, 08:13:09 pm
Man, what is with "limn" among critics these days? ((No offense to you, Cioran, it's just that Kakutani more or less ruined the word for all time.))
Title: Re: The black oneiric frame.
Post by: dejavroom on April 06, 2009, 08:19:44 pm
((Maybe she is Kakutani. That would actually explain a lot)).
Title: Re: The black oneiric frame.
Post by: Cioran on April 06, 2009, 08:57:54 pm
I am feeling more than usually Japanese this morning.
Title: Re: The black oneiric frame.
Post by: lprkn on April 07, 2009, 01:05:38 am
I want the doctor to take your picture
So I can look at you from inside as well...
Title: Re: The black oneiric frame.
Post by: Cioran on April 07, 2009, 01:41:11 am
You mean like feces?
Title: Re: The black oneiric frame.
Post by: lprkn on April 07, 2009, 02:19:33 am
Turning Japanese (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KRbtFnnjzdI) by The Vapors.

I'm sorry, I forgot that contextless quotes can be puzzling...


Edit: Better link
Title: Re: The black oneiric frame.
Post by: Cioran on April 07, 2009, 02:46:22 am
You have got to be shitting me.
Title: Re: The black oneiric frame.
Post by: Doc on April 07, 2009, 03:06:12 am
and 'porkin is canned for finally cracking the veneer.
Title: Re: The black oneiric frame.
Post by: Cioran on April 07, 2009, 03:14:09 am
You're a real party pooper.
Title: Re: The black oneiric frame.
Post by: ananke on April 07, 2009, 06:55:57 am
But night is also Asleep Style.
Title: Re: The black oneiric frame.
Post by: dejavroom on April 07, 2009, 11:23:55 am
But night is also Asleep Style.

One of my top 5 strips, ever.
Title: Re: The black oneiric frame.
Post by: Toaster on April 08, 2009, 07:03:58 am
Night is when we see Ray's Escalade more often than not. The Escalade usually means things are getting done, like saving Phillipe, or the trip to Taco Bell that saved the nation. When you see Ray's Escalade, it means that shit is about to get real.

Is Ray... the Batman? Maybe he uses his lazy playboy billionaire persona as a cover.
Title: Re: The black oneiric frame.
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on April 09, 2009, 02:59:08 pm
Two modes of the strip: day and night.

Day are the jokes and funny arcs.

Night...Night is Cartilage Head. The transfer station. The day the Achewood machine broke. The helicopter with the very long legs. There are no explanations, no punchlines. There is unease, fear, wrongness. There is silence.

These dark dreams [INSERT SYNONYM FOR 'LIMN' HERE] the bright. When you sail over the edge you find yourself there.

Night is basically Day that affects a Black patois, a "Circadian Ebonics" if you will, to represent the hidden Bantu-Yoruba-Ife struggle against the hegemonic oppressiveness of a light-colored Sun. Night is when the creatures of the Underground (cf. Underground Railroad*) emerge to assert their fundamental blackness; an Underground Railroad cum Hershey Highway, as it were. Day is for 2000 Flushes parties in the cold, unforgiving glare of a porcelain institution; but the freaks come out at night.

Also, here is some poetry about night.

I wear my sunglasses at night
So I can, So I can
Watch you weave then breathe your story lines

And I wear my sunglasses at night
So I can, So I can
Keep track of visions in my eyes

While she's deceiving me, she cuts my security
Has she got control of me
I turn to her and says

Note how the last stanza illustrates the emasculation of the mythical night-man, turning him from a cthonic avatar of unrealized masculine potential into a mere guy in shades with whom you may neither masquerade nor switch a blade upon.



*The author is so fuck*ng witty. pp. 22-391, Oxford University Press, 2009
Title: Re: The black oneiric frame.
Post by: AugustWest on April 09, 2009, 03:02:17 pm
Bobby, I'd give you a tiny can of bacon flavored Dr. Pepper if only I could.  Since I can't, accept my highest esteem as a poor substitute.
Title: Re: The black oneiric frame.
Post by: Cioran on April 14, 2009, 02:29:18 am
That's pretty good Bobby. What do you do for work? With a mind that sharp you could benefit a great many people.
Title: Re: The black oneiric frame.
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on April 14, 2009, 03:40:29 am
That's pretty good Bobby. What do you do for work? With a mind that sharp you could benefit a great many people.

I'm in the healthcare industry. I already do. :)