The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Achewood => Achewood => Topic started by: iron_felix on April 06, 2009, 09:59:24 pm

Title: First gear killed my baby -- April 6th, 2009
Post by: iron_felix on April 06, 2009, 09:59:24 pm
Yikes. (http://achewood.com/index.php?date=04032009)

I thought this arc was already finished, but this is more the kind of ending I was expecting.  We'll never be able to look at that hat the same way again.

How much longer now until Cüddlenacht?
Title: Re: First gear killed my baby -- April 6th, 2009
Post by: wombat on April 06, 2009, 10:52:46 pm
OK, this is all very sad and all but... what is up with the glasses? Have we already discussed the fact that Lyle is suddenly wearing horrible ugly glasses when he didn't used to?
Title: Re: First gear killed my baby -- April 6th, 2009
Post by: ananke on April 07, 2009, 12:47:54 am
OK, this is all very sad and all but... what is up with the glasses? Have we already discussed the fact that Lyle is suddenly wearing horrible ugly glasses when he didn't used to?

Lyle has new glasses. (http://achewood.com/index.php?date=06222007)
Title: Re: First gear killed my baby -- April 6th, 2009
Post by: CortJstr on April 07, 2009, 12:55:43 am
Yikes. (http://achewood.com/index.php?date=04032009)

I thought this arc was already finished, but this is more the kind of ending I was expecting.  We'll never be able to look at that hat the same way again.

How much longer now until Cüddlenacht?

Damn straight. I'm kind of wishing I'd actually gotten that puppy named Mr. Poopytime, now.
Title: Re: First gear killed my baby -- April 6th, 2009
Post by: wombat on April 07, 2009, 12:58:50 am
Lyle has new glasses. (http://achewood.com/index.php?date=06222007)

Thank you, sir!

Now, why isn't he wearing them consistently since then? Is he just trying to confuse those of us readers with old unreliable memories? Or have we seen Lyle so infrequently since then that even Onstad forgot that he wears glasses now?

no glasses:
http://achewood.com/index.php?date=02162009 (http://achewood.com/index.php?date=02162009)
http://achewood.com/index.php?date=02042009 (http://achewood.com/index.php?date=02042009)
No Lyle in between those and, glasses:
http://achewood.com/index.php?date=10082008 (http://achewood.com/index.php?date=10082008)
Title: Re: First gear killed my baby -- April 6th, 2009
Post by: lprkn on April 07, 2009, 01:02:46 am
Onstad's sure rolling the rough chuckles. It guess it's only natural, coming as it did on the heels of hvac undies.

I was going to take issue with the title selection, but upon perusal of the strip, it appears there are very few legit choices.
Title: Re: First gear killed my baby -- April 6th, 2009
Post by: wombat on April 07, 2009, 01:10:35 am
"Seven of her teeth stuck in the steein' wheel" would have been my choice.
Title: Re: First gear killed my baby -- April 6th, 2009
Post by: lprkn on April 07, 2009, 01:13:46 am
I couldn't find one that didn't hint at Darlene's death in some way, although that may be the best of all possible choices.
Title: Re: First gear killed my baby -- April 6th, 2009
Post by: AugustWest on April 07, 2009, 01:32:55 am
Damn, between this strip and House it's shaping up into a downright brutal evening.
Title: Re: First gear killed my baby -- April 6th, 2009
Post by: iron_felix on April 07, 2009, 01:50:10 am
I couldn't find one that didn't hint at Darlene's death in some way, although that may be the best of all possible choices.

This was the problem I ran into.  In retrospect, I think I ought to have gone with "B'ZUKE-ZUKE-ZUKE!" instead.
Title: Re: First gear killed my baby -- April 6th, 2009
Post by: littlefallsmets on April 07, 2009, 02:46:53 am
Caring a damn about your car other than it getting you efficiently to the places you need to be KILLS PEOPLE.

This is an important lesson. All people should understand it.
Title: Re: First gear killed my baby -- April 6th, 2009
Post by: JorgeFabregas on April 07, 2009, 03:34:40 pm
There seems to be a major piece missing in the story--almost like Onstad had something longer planned and gave up.

http://achewood.com/index.php?date=01062009

When did Lyle quit McDonald's and/or open up the cabinet shop?
Title: Re: First gear killed my baby -- April 6th, 2009
Post by: littlefallsmets on April 07, 2009, 03:50:33 pm
Not saying it is morally wrong.

Just saying that it leads to gruesome deaths.
Title: Re: First gear killed my baby -- April 6th, 2009
Post by: Leon on April 07, 2009, 05:05:17 pm
You know what? I call bullshit on Lyle's story.
Title: Re: First gear killed my baby -- April 6th, 2009
Post by: pmcd9 on April 08, 2009, 03:00:16 am
Caring a damn about your car other than it getting you efficiently to the places you need to be KILLS PEOPLE.

This is an important lesson. All people should understand it.

I read this comment just minutes after watching a biopic about Ed Roth.  I'm sure you can guess then how I feel about your statement.
Title: Re: First gear killed my baby -- April 6th, 2009
Post by: theinevitable on April 08, 2009, 04:15:43 am
Quote
I read this comment just minutes after watching a biopic about Ed Roth.  I'm sure you can guess then how I feel about your statement.

Only if we know who that is.
Title: Re: First gear killed my baby -- April 6th, 2009
Post by: AugustWest on April 08, 2009, 12:44:54 pm
Only if we know who that is.

Why, that's Ol' Man Roth's boy!
Title: Re: First gear killed my baby -- April 6th, 2009
Post by: jay-ell on April 08, 2009, 01:02:58 pm
Gah! 

Gaaah! 

Aaaaugh! 






Reading this strip felt like watching the ending to Fight Club for the first time. 

I liked it. 
Title: Re: First gear killed my baby -- April 6th, 2009
Post by: pmcd9 on April 08, 2009, 03:31:58 pm
Only if we know who that is.

I figured he was a household name, but I guess you whippersnappers don't know who he is.  I figured anyone who didn't know would Google it.

But since you've never heard of him let me put it to you another way...

I read this comment after spending most of the day working on my artcar getting it ready for the big parade in a month.  I'm sure you can guess then how I feel about your statement.
Title: Re: First gear killed my baby -- April 6th, 2009
Post by: lprkn on April 08, 2009, 03:42:53 pm
(http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y181/lprkn/carthedralartcar4.jpg)?
Title: Re: First gear killed my baby -- April 6th, 2009
Post by: pmcd9 on April 08, 2009, 04:47:34 pm
Hell yes!!!  Carthedral by Rebecca Caldwell of Oakland California.  I've never seen this car in person, but would definitely love to.  She's brought it to Houston before, but it's not as road worthy anymore.  It lives in Harrod Blank's Artcar World museum in Douglas Arizona nowadays.
Title: Re: First gear killed my baby -- April 6th, 2009
Post by: AugustWest on April 08, 2009, 07:20:46 pm
I think you guys have been trolled.
Title: Re: First gear killed my baby -- April 6th, 2009
Post by: jaydub on April 08, 2009, 08:40:13 pm
If Ed Roth can be summed up in an image:
(http://i223.photobucket.com/albums/dd151/Roth_Orbitron/beau/001.jpg) (http://www.ratfink.org/)

Click the pic for a trip
Title: Re: First gear killed my baby -- April 6th, 2009
Post by: theinevitable on April 08, 2009, 11:26:41 pm
paul, have I told you about the art-car I always see in charlotte? It's always in a place where I can't stop to take pictures... it is covered in some sort of crazy molded stuff.
Title: Re: First gear killed my baby -- April 6th, 2009
Post by: pmcd9 on April 09, 2009, 03:03:27 am
I'm not sure.  You sent me a link to one of your flickr friends who has an artcar I think.  I can't remember.