The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Achewood => Achewood => Topic started by: Harlock Hero on April 19, 2009, 10:09:17 am

Title: 19 April 2009 - Takin' in Impure Ideas Through the Eyes
Post by: Harlock Hero on April 19, 2009, 10:09:17 am
http://achewood.com/index.php?date=04192009 (http://achewood.com/index.php?date=04192009)

A Sunday update? Impossible to think of, but here it is.

I like how this is almost like a different side of Ray; at first you almost think he's about to just go off on Pat like he was talking to Marmaduke, just all Fuck You Sunday-style, but then it becomes more like an idealistic defense of his entire lifestyle. He seems more thoughtful here than usual? Is this what dry-steamin' will do for a man?

So, is Ray really on to something, or just grasping at straws to escape from the burden of having broken society's covenant? Also, what could Pat be wanting at 10:38 on a Sunday morning?

The most mysterious and question-raising strip of 2009 so far, I declare.
Title: Re: 19 April 2009 - Takin' in Impure Ideas Through the Eyes
Post by: KeithHernandez on April 19, 2009, 10:21:57 am
Me and my roommate have this discussion every week day (i'm Ray, he's Pat) but once you start sleeping til like 4, that's when it gets a bit ridiculous.

Ray is on to something.
Title: Re: 19 April 2009 - Takin' in Impure Ideas Through the Eyes
Post by: herofix on April 19, 2009, 10:23:37 am
He's on to something.  It's because we didn't have lightbulbs.  O my God, what an epiphany.  The scales have fallen from my eyes.
Title: Re: 19 April 2009 - Takin' in Impure Ideas Through the Eyes
Post by: Doc on April 19, 2009, 10:27:57 am
Oh Glorious Ray, how though hath torn assunder the lies lain before our eyes.

I like a good sleep in but do feel terrible wasteful about them since if I get up around 3 then the people I want to talk to and hang out with are going to be around for another 10 hours or so at best. This means I end up watching late night tv or surfing the internet which isn't cool. I ain't going to feel bad because of society but I do feel the need to maximize what little time I got. Sometimes sleeping past noon is the correct way to do that though.
Title: Re: 19 April 2009 - Takin' in Impure Ideas Through the Eyes
Post by: wombat on April 19, 2009, 01:13:14 pm
Ray is correct. It does not make you a better person if you get up at six am and eat a garbanzo bean.

If you get as much done in a day - or, like, Ray, keep out of as much trouble - as anyone who gets up at six am, what difference does it make what hours you sleep? The only issue is whether you really do make just as good use of the day, or, like Doc says, end up watching TV at 2 am when nothing good is on anyway. But see, the same thing is true at 6 am. On the rare occasions that I get up early, I find it's too early to make phone calls or go out to some store or something. It's not all it's cracked up to be.
Title: Re: 19 April 2009 - Takin' in Impure Ideas Through the Eyes
Post by: CortJstr on April 19, 2009, 02:25:22 pm
He's on to something.  It's because we didn't have lightbulbs.  O my God, what an epiphany.  The scales have fallen from my eyes.

And now every office has all their lights on all day long anyway, so what really is the difference? Viva la nighttime.
Title: Re: 19 April 2009 - Takin' in Impure Ideas Through the Eyes
Post by: Choop on April 19, 2009, 05:36:23 pm
you got to put the link in the post man

i think i might have to gruffle me a popper sampler esta hoy
Title: Re: 19 April 2009 - Takin' in Impure Ideas Through the Eyes
Post by: littlefallsmets on April 19, 2009, 06:41:50 pm
The Pros and Cons of Actually Trying is a key conceptual tool.

Knowing when trying is just gonna chew you up is almost as important as knowing when you gotta throw your everything at a notion.
Title: Re: 19 April 2009 - Takin' in Impure Ideas Through the Eyes
Post by: theinevitable on April 19, 2009, 08:55:47 pm
What really bothers me is my increasing perception that I am actually a "morning person," just one who is very easily distracted by late-night activities, and who is too tired.

I feel much happier about my life when I wake up early. But then I get distracted by the internet until 4 AM, and that whole plan dies pretty fast.
Title: Re: 19 April 2009 - Takin' in Impure Ideas Through the Eyes
Post by: Doc on April 19, 2009, 09:55:56 pm
Bonus for getting up early today: I actually got one of the three remaining carparks on my side of the bridge.
Related downside: I am now at uni with nothing to do except study for 3 hours. Which is good in theory but not a lot of fun.
Title: Re: 19 April 2009 - Takin' in Impure Ideas Through the Eyes
Post by: theinevitable on April 19, 2009, 10:29:52 pm
Lately I eat huge meals late at night, and wake up absolutely destroyed by hunger. What gives?
Title: Re: 19 April 2009 - Takin' in Impure Ideas Through the Eyes
Post by: Doc on April 19, 2009, 10:40:58 pm
I've actually started eating breakfast recently and it has resulted in me always being starving again by 10 whereas normally I'd be fine until lunch. WHAT THE HELL METABOLISM?
Title: Re: 19 April 2009 - Takin' in Impure Ideas Through the Eyes
Post by: Lister on April 20, 2009, 04:48:47 am
I'm perpetually a late sleeper when allowed to do so... though, when left to my own devices, I end up on a 28 hour cycle.  18 hours awake, 10 asleep.  It really sucks on the "wake up at midnight" days.  All standing outside of the grocery store waiting for it to open because I can't think of anything else to do.

Now that I have a Job this doesn't happen that often.
Title: Re: 19 April 2009 - Takin' in Impure Ideas Through the Eyes
Post by: colmore on April 20, 2009, 03:55:30 pm
I feel like the first two hours of the day are generally wasted and it's good to get those out of the way early.

Also in the Summer months, it's much more pleasant to exercise earlier in the AM.
Title: Re: 19 April 2009 - Takin' in Impure Ideas Through the Eyes
Post by: theinevitable on April 24, 2009, 05:01:28 am
 times I have slept today: 7:30am-9:20am, 1:30pm-5:30pm, 10:30pm-12:00am.

awesome. I love college.
Title: Re: 19 April 2009 - Takin' in Impure Ideas Through the Eyes
Post by: jay-ell on April 25, 2009, 04:51:15 pm
I could never survive on 6 hours of sleep.  I do best on 9 hours.  If I get less than 7 for a few nights in a row, I start having SYMPTOMS. 

The longest I've slept at a stretch, not including illness, is 14 hours.  That is a champion amount of sleep to be having without involving medication. 

If only my kids slept, you know, ever. 
Title: Re: 19 April 2009 - Takin' in Impure Ideas Through the Eyes
Post by: linnea on April 25, 2009, 11:00:09 pm
If I could live as I pleased, I would go to bed around 3AM and get up at noon.  Until May 1st, I'll be getting up at my normal time of 5AM because I have an hourlong commute and work a flex schedule of four 10-hour days.

When I get back to Alaska, I think I'll sleep in until 5:30, get up in time to go work out at 6AM, then come back and get ready for work. Cook an actual breakfast. It will be so refreshing to get back to a lifestyle where I spent 4 to 8 minutes per day in my car, as opposed to the 140+ minutes that I currently spend. I hate wasting time, and it will be sooooo great to get to spend more of my time how I choose.

Although I'm over the moon at the thought of returning to my homeland, the shitty part is that my boyfriend and kitty cannot come with me. :-(
Title: Re: 19 April 2009 - Takin' in Impure Ideas Through the Eyes
Post by: theinevitable on April 26, 2009, 02:27:20 am
Quote
I could never survive on 6 hours of sleep.  I do best on 9 hours.  If I get less than 7 for a few nights in a row, I start having SYMPTOMS.

The longest I've slept at a stretch, not including illness, is 14 hours.  That is a champion amount of sleep to be having without involving medication.

If only my kids slept, you know, ever.

Yeah, I need a lot of sleep to function. After days where I have crazy sleep schedules I always need a day where I completely ignore all responsibilities and sleep.
Which is why my work piles up.

I think I've slept 14 hours or more before... but maybe I'm making that up.
Title: Re: 19 April 2009 - Takin' in Impure Ideas Through the Eyes
Post by: lprkn on April 26, 2009, 06:51:04 am
Living better through chemistry?
Title: Re: 19 April 2009 - Takin' in Impure Ideas Through the Eyes
Post by: Toaster on April 28, 2009, 01:40:48 am
Quote from: Harlock Hero
...weeping for 3 hours straight over a photograph of a Super Soaker.

A Super Soaker killed my great-grandfather. The Hasbro company, then known as Hassenfeld Bros. Inc., sent a telegram to my great-gandmother. It read, "YOUR HUSBAND IS DEAD."
Title: Re: 19 April 2009 - Takin' in Impure Ideas Through the Eyes
Post by: lprkn on April 28, 2009, 01:58:16 am
Oh god, I lol'd.
Title: Re: 19 April 2009 - Takin' in Impure Ideas Through the Eyes
Post by: KeithHernandez on April 28, 2009, 06:38:32 am
Man that post is so true.  I love drugs, but I think the best way to get fucked up may be sleep deprivation, with or without amphetamines.  It is its own thing, but you are as fucked as any drug will get you, naturally.
Title: Re: 19 April 2009 - Takin' in Impure Ideas Through the Eyes
Post by: wombat on April 28, 2009, 12:25:52 pm
Well now I'm even more mystified about the appeal of drugs. You want to feel that way on purpose??
Title: Re: 19 April 2009 - Takin' in Impure Ideas Through the Eyes
Post by: jaydub on April 28, 2009, 06:33:22 pm
Well, what if you're in a hurry to get out of your head, and you don't want to wait 26 hours?
Title: Re: 19 April 2009 - Takin' in Impure Ideas Through the Eyes
Post by: KeithHernandez on April 28, 2009, 08:58:45 pm
I guess I smoke the whole time, which makes you feel better for longer and out of your head just a bit while you wait.