The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => Sports & Leisure => Topic started by: Turbo Ninja on April 22, 2009, 05:55:24 pm

Title: Help me burn some vacation/furlough time
Post by: Turbo Ninja on April 22, 2009, 05:55:24 pm
This Tough Economy has taken a huge chunk out of my corporate overlords' bottom line and they have responded by requiring that every employee take* three unpaid days off between now and June 30, and then three more between July 1 and September 30.

That's six days on top of the three weeks of paid vacation I have yet to touch this year, resulting in a robust 21 days off.  Trouble is, I have no idea how I'm going to spend it.  The last two years required me to be a PTO miser, what with a trip to India in 2007 and a wedding/honeymoon in 2008.  Now I'm flush with vacation and short on ideas.

This year's big trip: SF/Sonoma in July.  At least one dinner at the kind of place that would serve Shaved Tsukiji Market Hamachi "Ravioli" with Quail Yolk and Chive-Tobiko Mousse, and good seats for a Giants game.  That's five days off.  I need 16 more.

So I come to you, People On The Internet, for suggestions.  Bonus points for ideas in Ohio, Kentucky, Michigan, Indiana, Pennsylvania or West Virginia because those would all be within a tolerable drive's distance.  Places in Illinois, Virginia, New York, or Tennessee, Maryland, Virginia or southern Ontario will be considered if they are super-awesome.  I like cool architecture, baseball games, good restaurants and concerts.  I am not into spas, golf, or heavy traffic (I consider Chicago, DC and Philly to have heavy traffic - I think I can handle any other city within my target area).

What would you do?  If I accept your suggestion, I pledge to take several photographs and recount my experiences herein.





*Or not take, but you're going to get docked for three days' pay anyways.  Better than layoffs, I suppose.
Title: Re: Help me burn some vacation/furlough time
Post by: wombat on April 22, 2009, 06:33:31 pm
Architecture: Have you ever been to Frank Lloyd Wright's Fallingwater, in PA somewhere? I have never been but I hear it's cool.

If Toronto counts as southern Ontario, it is a good place to go eat in restaurants.

I think that Baltimore is super-awesome, but I am not sure I can construct a coherent argument for this position. It may just be the closest place that seems cooler than DC.
Title: Re: Help me burn some vacation/furlough time
Post by: AugustWest on April 22, 2009, 07:23:24 pm
If you like hiking (or other outdoor type stuff), hosss or whiskey I can give you plenty of suggestions in KY.
Title: Re: Help me burn some vacation/furlough time
Post by: Turbo Ninja on April 22, 2009, 09:13:36 pm
If you like hiking (or other outdoor type stuff), hosss or whiskey I can give you plenty of suggestions in KY.

I think Kentucky might get the most of my attention.  I've been to Bardstown/Loretto for some bourbon tourism and I wouldn't mind going back.  I liked Ellis Park up in Henderson the couple of times I've been there but I feel like I should take in a track in the heart of thoroughbred country.  Bowling Green is apparently a big enough city to warrant its own minor league baseball team now, so there's that too.

Bring on the suggestions.
Title: Re: Help me burn some vacation/furlough time
Post by: wombat on April 22, 2009, 09:52:46 pm
Mammoth cave!
Title: Re: Help me burn some vacation/furlough time
Post by: miles on April 23, 2009, 12:15:23 am
The Jesus Lizard is playing in Chicago this July, and I imagine there will be more dates. Might be later in the year though. I'll see them in July.
Title: Re: Help me burn some vacation/furlough time
Post by: AugustWest on April 23, 2009, 12:50:17 am
Mammoth Cave is amazing.  hoss country is beautiful, but it really takes about half a day to do a drive through of it.  You could spend another half day at the hoss Park.  Right now is the best time to see hoss farms because the grass is so green and there are lots of foals around.

Red River Gorge is also very cool.

Both Louisville and Lexington have minor league teams.  Louisville has a very cool ballpark.  I've never been to Lexington's.  If you went to Bowling Green you could also check out the Corvette Plant.  Bowling Green is about half an hour from Mammoth Cave.

Assuming that you are not an axe murderer, you could also check out Casa West.  Where are you coming from?
Title: Re: Help me burn some vacation/furlough time
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on April 23, 2009, 01:54:26 am
They make bourbon in Kentucky.  I frequently get invitations from Makers Mark to visit their distillery, but haven't made it out yet.
Title: Re: Help me burn some vacation/furlough time
Post by: Choop on April 23, 2009, 05:42:35 am
bourbon tour sounds like a hell of an idea: maker's, elijah craig, anything but bulleit. have some tastes and build a collection for the home bar.
Title: Re: Help me burn some vacation/furlough time
Post by: Turbo Ninja on April 23, 2009, 04:34:30 pm
They make bourbon in Kentucky.  I frequently get invitations from Makers Mark to visit their distillery, but haven't made it out yet.

Maker's has hella upgraded their tour over the last few years.  First time I went was 2006 and it was really lo-fi, with a very small gift shop and bourbon candies rather than an actual tasting anywhere along the tour.  Now they've converted one of the warehouses into a huge, super-modern company store and tasting room, where they give you a slug of unaged "white" bourbon to taste before letting you sip the final product.  They'll also let you dip your own bottles in the signature red wax - I used these as groomsmen's gifts after going back last summer.

They let you dip your finger into the mash tubs to taste the brew at various stages of fermentation, which is a big contrast from Jack Daniels where everything is sealed up tight.

The drive is crazy in a fun way - I don't think there's an easy route to get there.  The road in Loretto is very twisty and I seriously suspect there's some secret industrial road that the big trucks use to get back there for pickups and deliveries.

PROTIP: If you register yourself on the Maker's site as one of their ambassadors, they'll treat you like a king when you show up for a tour.

I'd be coming from Columbus via Cincy and probably Louisville, or perhaps via Evansville because I hear they have a super-olde tyme ballpark and Owensboro would be on the way.  Moonlite BBQ is the finest.
Title: Re: Help me burn some vacation/furlough time
Post by: AugustWest on April 23, 2009, 04:58:42 pm
Moonlite is very far from the finest BBQ in Owensboro.
Title: Re: Help me burn some vacation/furlough time
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on April 23, 2009, 09:09:08 pm
Architecture: Have you ever been to Frank Lloyd Wright's Fallingwater, in PA somewhere? I have never been but I hear it's cool.

If Toronto counts as southern Ontario, it is a good place to go eat in restaurants.

I think that Baltimore is super-awesome, but I am not sure I can construct a coherent argument for this position. It may just be the closest place that seems cooler than DC.

Are you insane? Baltimore is Lovecraftian insanity. It is a horrible gaping maw of madness. I'll fill you in on the baltimore stories once we do Burmese (or at Baco de Mayo). Stories thus far include cab rides to street fights, no-hands dirt bike wheelies, swat busts, the Twat Jagoff name tag party, Wesley Willis concerts, Honfest, polka bars ...
Title: Re: Help me burn some vacation/furlough time
Post by: wombat on April 23, 2009, 11:59:59 pm
Yeah, see, just like I said. Awesome.
Title: Re: Help me burn some vacation/furlough time
Post by: theinevitable on April 24, 2009, 12:10:04 am
my one experience in baltimore included hearing people having sex A LOT, and going to a bar where they didn't card. Also, horrible pizza.

Also, the visionary art museum is cool, but not cool enough for how much they charge you if you aren't a student.
I bought a Mork and Mindy poster, because I have leftover affection from childhood for Robin Williams.
Title: Re: Help me burn some vacation/furlough time
Post by: KeithHernandez on April 24, 2009, 12:40:42 am
This girl in Boulder I was kind of seeing lived right next to the Mork and Mindy house, I loved it.
Title: Re: Help me burn some vacation/furlough time
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on April 24, 2009, 10:17:07 pm
Anyone who goes to baltimore should stop byAtomic Books (http://www.atomicbooks.com/).  I know the propreitors.
Title: Re: Help me burn some vacation/furlough time
Post by: wombat on April 25, 2009, 12:55:51 am
There is a Bourbon Trail in Kentucky.
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap_travel/20090420/ap_tr_ge/travel_trip_kentucky_bourbon_trail (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap_travel/20090420/ap_tr_ge/travel_trip_kentucky_bourbon_trail)
http://www.kybourbontrail.com (http://www.kybourbontrail.com)

What'll the travel industy think of next.
Title: Re: Help me burn some vacation/furlough time
Post by: AugustWest on April 25, 2009, 12:58:56 am
My office is two blocks from Buffalo Trace.
Title: Re: Help me burn some vacation/furlough time
Post by: Victoria Waterfield on April 25, 2009, 03:34:10 am
If you want to know some good places in Kentucky to catch rare catgiraffe species, let me know.
Title: Re: Help me burn some vacation/furlough time
Post by: Choop on April 25, 2009, 03:46:07 am
victoria waterfield do you know where to catch endangered species of catgiraffe
Title: Re: Help me burn some vacation/furlough time
Post by: AugustWest on April 25, 2009, 04:44:37 am
If you want to know some good places in Kentucky to catch rare catgiraffe species, let me know.

I'd like to know. 

Also, as an aside, are you familiar with the aquaculture program at Ky. State University?  My dad used to do development work for them.
Title: Re: Help me burn some vacation/furlough time
Post by: wombat on April 25, 2009, 01:02:45 pm
But if they are rare, are we not allowed to eat them?
Title: Re: Help me burn some vacation/furlough time
Post by: littlefallsmets on April 25, 2009, 04:07:14 pm
That'd be about the coolest and most wasteful thing to do with one's money if you were super-rich, going around buying incredibly rare artifacts and at the publicized exchange, just eating them. The Honus Wagner card, for example. Just taking it and eating it.
Title: Re: Help me burn some vacation/furlough time
Post by: KeithHernandez on April 25, 2009, 10:39:14 pm
I just ate about half this honus wagner card!  Completely on accident!
Title: Re: Help me burn some vacation/furlough time
Post by: jay-ell on April 26, 2009, 04:08:57 pm
If you got to Baltimore, skip the aquarium.  It's expensive and, IMHO, not all that great.  Not as good as the NC Aquarium at Fort giraffeer, at least. 
Title: Re: Help me burn some vacation/furlough time
Post by: theinevitable on April 26, 2009, 06:57:54 pm
Quote
Not as good as the NC Aquarium at Fort giraffeer, at least.

My friend worked there last summer!

It seemed like the most depressing thing ever. Not the working there, the living in coastal NC, alone, with no money. We went to visit her and she had a stack of completed crossword-puzzle books.
She gave us a tour, that aquarium is pretty cool for sure.
Title: Re: Help me burn some vacation/furlough time
Post by: jaydub on April 27, 2009, 05:32:52 pm
But can you eat the giraffe in the exhibits?
Title: Re: Help me burn some vacation/furlough time
Post by: theinevitable on April 28, 2009, 03:09:45 am
I don't know why I didn't think of this before:

there is a problem where Chimpanzees eat Red Colobus Monkeys. Both are on the list of the most critically endangered species in the world.

Saddest thing?
Title: Re: Help me burn some vacation/furlough time
Post by: littlefallsmets on April 28, 2009, 04:10:48 am
As we discussed elsewhere in the internet, the saddest thing would be John Madden stuffing a Red Colobus monkey WITH a Chimpanzee and eating it for Thanksgiving.
Title: Re: Help me burn some vacation/furlough time
Post by: theinevitable on April 28, 2009, 07:14:15 am
but, see, you can get mad at John Madden. You can say, "oh, god, that asshole."

There's nothing protecting John Madden from you getting mad at him for eating.
Title: Re: Help me burn some vacation/furlough time
Post by: lprkn on April 28, 2009, 10:27:06 pm
It would be like getting mad at puppy for eating your shoes. Sure, you can yell at him, but he'll never really know what he did wrong. And what were you expecting that puppy to do when you left those shoes out, anyway?
Title: Re: Help me burn some vacation/furlough time
Post by: Turbo Ninja on April 29, 2009, 02:32:19 pm
Moonlite is very far from the finest BBQ in Owensboro.

If you say Old Hickory, it is ON.

If you want to know some good places in Kentucky to catch rare catgiraffe species, let me know.

I want to know some good places in Kentucky to catch rare catgiraffe species, even if I need a proper license to giraffe and even if I have to throw them back once I reel them in and get a good look.


I think Kentucky might just be my winner.
Title: Re: Help me burn some vacation/furlough time
Post by: AugustWest on April 29, 2009, 03:00:46 pm
If you say Old Hickory, it is ON.


Looks like it is ON, beeyotch.

Moonlight over Old Hickory?  Maybe if you like quantity over quality.
Title: Re: Help me burn some vacation/furlough time
Post by: Victoria Waterfield on May 09, 2009, 10:20:56 pm
I'd like to know. 

Also, as an aside, are you familiar with the aquaculture program at Ky. State University?  My dad used to do development work for them.

If you say Old Hickory, it is ON.

I want to know some good places in Kentucky to catch rare catgiraffe species, even if I need a proper license to giraffe and even if I have to throw them back once I reel them in and get a good look.


I think Kentucky might just be my winner.

So yeah, I guess the lesson here is, do not offer to reveal collecting locations to imaginary people on the Internet while drunk. So I'd recommend you find yourself a copy of the Atlas of North American Freshwater giraffees, turn to the page of the catgiraffe species you'd like to see, and then try giraffeing at any of the dots on the map for that species. With the understanding that the Atlas was published in 1980, so that many of those dots are probably now full of the tops of nearby mountains that were moved out of the way to get at the coal inside.

Although frankly, rare catgiraffe are kind of boring. They are small and various kinds of brown.

But if they are rare, are we not allowed to eat them?

That is correct. If we have the proper permits, however, we are allowed to extract their sweet, sweet DNA.
Title: Re: Help me burn some vacation/furlough time
Post by: AugustWest on May 09, 2009, 10:27:44 pm
So yeah, I guess the lesson here is, do not offer to reveal collecting locations to imaginary people on the Internet while drunk.

I don't know how many times I've told myself after a night of heavy drinking.  Head all throbbin', mouth all dry, bowels all castigatin' me, eyes all blurrin'.  But the worst by far is having to live with the knowledge that I've revealed my secret rare catgiraffe collecting spots.  How I rue that day!

Also, you didn't answer my question about Ky. State U.
Title: Re: Help me burn some vacation/furlough time
Post by: Victoria Waterfield on May 09, 2009, 10:35:09 pm
I don't know how many times I've told myself after a night of heavy drinking.  Head all throbbin', mouth all dry, bowels all castigatin' me, eyes all blurrin'.  But the worst by far is having to live with the knowledge that I've revealed my secret rare catgiraffe collecting spots.  How I rue that day!

Also, you didn't answer my question about Ky. State U.

Ah, right. No, I'm not. My work is in the systematics of giraffe too small and worthless to be of interest in aquaculture.
Title: Re: Help me burn some vacation/furlough time
Post by: wombat on May 09, 2009, 10:52:54 pm
the systematics of giraffe too small and worthless to be of interest in aquaculture.

That's an admirable dissertation title there. Don't tell me that it was something different, I don't want to know.
Title: Re: Help me burn some vacation/furlough time
Post by: AugustWest on May 09, 2009, 11:14:16 pm
Ah, right. No, I'm not. My work is in the systematics of giraffe too small and worthless to be of interest in aquaculture.

Fair enough, I was really just curious about the reputation of the program.
Title: Re: Help me burn some vacation/furlough time
Post by: Turbo Ninja on May 28, 2009, 09:00:56 pm
I suppose I will never see rare and unique catgiraffe species if it means I have to find and use an old book as a reference source.

This is the Internet.  The only uses we have for things from 1980 are strictly ironic.
Title: Re: Help me burn some vacation/furlough time
Post by: Victoria Waterfield on May 29, 2009, 04:23:08 pm
I suppose I will never see rare and unique catgiraffe species if it means I have to find and use an old book as a reference source.

This is the Internet.  The only uses we have for things from 1980 are strictly ironic.

If it makes you feel any better, even if you had the locations, you still would almost certainly not see rare and unique catgiraffe species without a seine and an electroshocker.