The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Achewood => Achewood => Topic started by: Dangermoose on April 24, 2009, 09:49:51 pm

Title: One way to screen potential employers
Post by: Dangermoose on April 24, 2009, 09:49:51 pm
So apparently a recent interviewee for a job at my office made it known that she "is into 'Gothic Dancing.'"

I did not know that real earnest human non-cartoon cats actually did this. (http://achewood.com/index.php?date=07062004)  Always thought Goths just kind of stood around.
Title: Re: One way to screen potential employers
Post by: linnea on April 25, 2009, 01:30:39 am
Wow. What kind of office do you work in?

All the resume advice I've seen recommends to leave out personal information, such as personal hobbies. The exception would be unless you have a hobby that illustrates that you pursue work-related interests on your own time, or if you list benign activities such as volunteer work. I cannot imagine listing "gothic dancing" on a resume or job application...but maybe that's just me.
Title: Re: One way to screen potential employers
Post by: littlefallsmets on April 25, 2009, 02:27:20 am
You know, when I first read the gothic dance type strips, I just assumed that "Bela Lugosi's dead" was... you know... made up.

A ribald exaggeration of the kinds of lyrics one might hear in those genrii of music.

I just assumed that nothing that over the top could be real.
Title: Re: One way to screen potential employers
Post by: Dangermoose on April 25, 2009, 02:51:31 am
I just assumed that nothing that over the top could be real.

Well, right, and that's what I thought about Gothic dancing.  Maybe "nothing that over the top could be real" ... but it is ... is the key to understanding goths.  I don't know.
Title: Re: One way to screen potential employers
Post by: KeithHernandez on April 25, 2009, 10:31:41 am
You know, when I first read the gothic dance type strips, I just assumed that "Bela Lugosi's dead" was... you know... made up.

A ribald exaggeration of the kinds of lyrics one might hear in those genrii of music.

I just assumed that nothing that over the top could be real.

Man, over the top songs are the best.  Bela Lugosi's Dead, 96 Tears, Smoking by SFA, Surfin Bird, anything by the Trashmen really,  Orange Crush even.  These are the songs I love to hear.  That is how I gauge if bands are good, at least they are trying, you know.  Plus it is at least more interesting than people singing love songs to pop or blues or ruining some classic band.  Who needs to hear that again?  I just saw My Bloody Valentine, and they did like a 15 minute 3 chord song with the amps turned louder than you have ever heard and everyone had like 5 delay pedals all turned to the max.  People without earplugs were in serious pain.  Like the opposite of white noise?  It was completely over the top but it felt like you could swim in the fuck*ng air.  One of the best things I have experienced. 
Title: Re: One way to screen potential employers
Post by: theinevitable on April 26, 2009, 02:28:10 am
so good.
Title: Re: One way to screen potential employers
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on April 26, 2009, 04:50:04 am
Who has two thumbs and didn't age well at all?


This chick! (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Siouxsie-Madrid2008.jpg)
Title: Re: One way to screen potential employers
Post by: lprkn on April 26, 2009, 06:50:26 am
The guy is focusing on his guitar more than he needs to, which is what I would be doing, too.
Title: Re: One way to screen potential employers
Post by: herofix on April 26, 2009, 11:53:04 am
Who has two thumbs and didn't age well at all?


This chick! (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Siouxsie-Madrid2008.jpg)

She in fact did age well.  She is 51 and looks well for her age.  Her make-up is running in the Madrid heat.  Maybe that's what caused you to be confused about this.
Title: Re: One way to screen potential employers
Post by: lprkn on April 26, 2009, 07:29:55 pm
I believe that I would be running in the Madrid heat. Although it's probably more a function of the Harley Quinn costume than anything else.
Title: Re: One way to screen potential employers
Post by: Bimmicus on April 27, 2009, 02:36:10 am
I'd still let that woman do heinous things to me.

Heinous.
Title: Re: One way to screen potential employers
Post by: lprkn on April 28, 2009, 11:15:51 pm
Soon to be lost forever due to Geocities' demise: how to gothic dance (http://www.geocities.com/gothicunity/how-to-dance-gothic.html).
Title: Re: One way to screen potential employers
Post by: Alternate on April 29, 2009, 01:01:19 am
Gothic dancing is actually the only dancing I know how to do, it's a problem at weddings. 
Title: Re: One way to screen potential employers
Post by: wombat on April 29, 2009, 02:29:07 am
Soon to be lost forever due to Geocities' demise: how to gothic dance (http://www.geocities.com/gothicunity/how-to-dance-gothic.html).

Toronto is the gothic capitol of the world?
Title: Re: One way to screen potential employers
Post by: KeithHernandez on April 29, 2009, 09:50:56 am
I only read the first three, but those are kind of just ecstasy/ tripping if you can dance at the time moves, no?  I think goths rolled a lot, so this makes since maybe.
Title: Re: One way to screen potential employers
Post by: theinevitable on April 29, 2009, 10:04:26 am
I am awesome at dancing, but I do not think the way I dance is gothic dancing.
I do not really know what it is called. But I get compliments. I take pride in my dancing.
Title: Re: One way to screen potential employers
Post by: KeithHernandez on April 29, 2009, 10:28:12 am
I get compliments on dancing too, but I think people are lying.
Title: Re: One way to screen potential employers
Post by: AugustWest on April 29, 2009, 12:46:21 pm
I get compliments on dancing too, but I think people are lying.

I think the bar is sooo low for guys.  The girls appreciate it if we'll just get out there and try, even if we are just flailing around.

Plus, when I get in the mood to dance I'm usually chemically enhanced enough that I don't give two shits what anybody thinks about how I'm doing it.
Title: Re: One way to screen potential employers
Post by: AugustWest on April 29, 2009, 06:05:14 pm
I think the bar is sooo low for guys.  The girls appreciate it if we'll just get out there and try, even if we are just flailing around.

Plus, when I get in the mood to dance I'm usually chemically enhanced enough that I don't give two shits what anybody thinks about how I'm doing it.

This is not to suggest that I am not a wonderful dancer, because I am.  You would not think it to look at me, because I appear to be large, clumsy and oagiraffe, but I have the smoothest of moves. 
Title: Re: One way to screen potential employers
Post by: theinevitable on April 29, 2009, 07:02:53 pm
I think part of what makes people think I am a good dancer is that I am very skinny. But I move smoothly, not spastically. It fools the eye.

suggested corrections for spastically on firefox:
elastically
sarcastically
drastically
...
scholastically


Also makes people think I am a good dancer: I am awesome at dancing. The way that I dance is extremely skillful.