The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => Arts & Entertainment => Topic started by: Cioran on April 27, 2009, 10:32:16 pm

Title: Women, Keep Your Virtue
Post by: Cioran on April 27, 2009, 10:32:16 pm
quality lulz

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZ0jRuASVEQ&fmt=18
Title: Re: Women, Keep Your Virtue
Post by: theinevitable on April 27, 2009, 10:57:48 pm
I wish people still had non-rhotic quasi-British accents in the northeast. Other than the decidedly un-pretty Boston accent my dad's family all have, those are not classy and cool at all.
Title: Re: Women, Keep Your Virtue
Post by: miles on April 29, 2009, 03:50:48 am
That reminds me of this movie I saw in a political science class several years back called Thirteen Days, about the Cuban missile crisis. It featured Kevin Costner with the worst accent ever. Or was it the most accurate accent ever? Either way, it made it nearly unwatchable.
Title: Re: Women, Keep Your Virtue
Post by: littlefallsmets on April 29, 2009, 04:07:02 am
Costner has the Triple Crown of bad accents.

Worst Accent (13 Days), Worst Lack of an Accent (Robin Hood), Worst Performance with an Acceptable Accent (Waterworld).

Dude is a five-tool motherfucker in the field of lousy accents.
Title: Re: Women, Keep Your Virtue
Post by: KeithHernandez on April 29, 2009, 09:45:56 am
I only know this because of Bill Simmons, and it has been a while for that guy, but doesn't Costner also do like a bad Boston accent, a bad Scottish (maybe Irish) and a bad southern, or something?  Like he has done bad accents of all the great bad accent accents' as well as his ability to pull of bad accents in a wide variety of novel ways.

(the only two costner movies i have seen are field of dreams and 13 days.  i saw field of dreams when i was like 10, and i liked baseball so i liked it.  i saw 13 days for a class in college, and failed the class because after that i did not go back.  it was because we had to watch another movie and i absolutely hated watching movies in college.  we were paying good money to learn, not watch some bullshit movie.  also, i didn't like the teacher, maybe because of the movie thing, i don't think so but can't say for sure.  anyways, the other movie was dr strangelove, which i have seen since then and it is one of my favorites.  probably should have just gone, but probably wouldn't have enjoyed it in that situation anyways?  anyhow, i actually went back one more time for the first test, and it was three essay questions two about movies, i had only scene one and hated it/ couldn't really watch it so i didn't do to well.  this was a poli sci 4000 level course.  oh yeah, the other point, i have absolutely no idea what i am talking about with the accent thing.)
Title: Re: Women, Keep Your Virtue
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on April 29, 2009, 02:20:44 pm
Costner has the Triple Crown of bad accents.

Worst Accent (13 Days), Worst Lack of an Accent (Robin Hood), Worst Performance with an Acceptable Accent (Waterworld).

Dude is a five-tool motherfucker in the field of lousy accents.

Worst Accent goes to Sean Connery in Highlander, as Ramirez, the Egyptian with a Scottish Accent.
Title: Re: Women, Keep Your Virtue
Post by: jaydub on April 29, 2009, 08:09:04 pm
Worst Accent goes to Sean Connery in Highlander, as Ramirez, the Egyptian with a Scottish Accent.
Really?  I thought his performance was inextricably tied to Christopher Lambert's as McCleod, the Scot with French Accent.
Title: Re: Women, Keep Your Virtue
Post by: smick on April 29, 2009, 10:38:22 pm
According to my spouse, he is from Central Lambertia and has the accent of that region.
Title: Re: Women, Keep Your Virtue
Post by: Choop on April 30, 2009, 01:53:15 am
Worst Accent goes to Sean Connery in The Hunt for Red October, as Captain Marko Ramius, the defecting Russian submarine captain with a Scottish accent.
Title: Re: Women, Keep Your Virtue
Post by: CortJstr on April 30, 2009, 02:16:42 am
Did this thread turn into a Craig Furgesson bit when I wasn't paying attention?
Title: Re: Women, Keep Your Virtue
Post by: littlefallsmets on April 30, 2009, 02:50:47 am
I'm pretty sure that Lambert's problem wasn't so much a bad accent, per se, so much as it was a bad acting choice.

I think I read somewhere that he figured the Highlander had lived all over Europe and so his English language accent would be a blend of all kinds of European accents, little quirks from this, little quirks from that.

I have no idea if that's bullshit but it sounds plausably true and, in that case, it would be more about the dude completely overthinking his role as a sword-fighting immortal than it was about him not being able to do a Scottish accent.

Which, come to think, might even be worse. But still.
Title: Re: Women, Keep Your Virtue
Post by: Toaster on April 30, 2009, 03:14:29 am
Worst Accent goes to Sean Connery in Highlander, as Ramirez, the Egyptian with a Scottish Accent.

The Egyptian pretending to be a Spaniard with a Scottish accent. That's a whole extra layer of not-even-trying.
Title: Re: Women, Keep Your Virtue
Post by: jaydub on April 30, 2009, 03:36:01 am
I think I read somewhere that he figured the Highlander had lived all over Europe and so his English language accent would be a blend of all kinds of European accents, little quirks from this, little quirks from that.

Sounds like fanlogic to me.  Considering when he was but a raw lad, prior to getting skewered by the Kurgan, his speech was the same as (500?) years later bopping through NYC.
Title: Re: Women, Keep Your Virtue
Post by: Choop on April 30, 2009, 08:03:51 am
Worst Accent goes to Sean Connery in You Only Live Twice, as James Bond, the English spy posing as a Japanese giraffeerman with a Scottish accent.
Title: Re: Women, Keep Your Virtue
Post by: theinevitable on April 30, 2009, 08:30:24 am
Quote
Sounds like fanlogic to me.  Considering when he was but a raw lad, prior to getting skewered by the Kurgan, his speech was the same as (500?) years later bopping through NYC.

When I watched this movie a week ago I thought his accent changed from scottish to random-ish.
Title: Re: Women, Keep Your Virtue
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on April 30, 2009, 12:03:47 pm
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/film/3032052.stm

Sir Sean Connery has been named the actor with the worst movie accent by a UK film magazine.

Movie buffs at Empire magazine gave Sir Sean top spot for his portrayal of Irish cop Jim Malone in the 1987 film The Untouchables.
Title: Re: Women, Keep Your Virtue
Post by: AugustWest on April 30, 2009, 01:27:37 pm
Yeah and he doesn't really have a Moon accent in Outland either.
Title: Re: Women, Keep Your Virtue
Post by: pmcd9 on April 30, 2009, 02:18:36 pm
Moon accent.  Heh.
Title: Re: Women, Keep Your Virtue
Post by: jaydub on April 30, 2009, 07:04:34 pm
When I watched this movie a week ago I thought his accent changed from scottish to random-ish.
I will defer to your fresher memory.
Title: Re: Women, Keep Your Virtue
Post by: jay-ell on May 01, 2009, 12:09:30 am
You guys. 

You guys

I came to this topic from my RSS feed hoping to discuss the merits of pre-marital abstinence -- a topic on which I'm writing an article at the moment, so this visit counts as work --  and all I find is a rundown of all the times Connery has suffered epic accent fail. 

I love you guys. 
Title: Re: Women, Keep Your Virtue
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on May 01, 2009, 01:50:58 am
You guys. 

You guys

I came to this topic from my RSS feed hoping to discuss the merits of pre-marital abstinence -- a topic on which I'm writing an article at the moment, so this visit counts as work --  and all I find is a rundown of all the times Connery has suffered epic accent fail. 

I love you guys. 

It is easier to remain pre-maritally abstinent than it is for Sean Connery to change his accent.
Title: Re: Women, Keep Your Virtue
Post by: theinevitable on May 01, 2009, 03:18:31 am
wait, but that is so easy.

maybe I'm just a prodigy.
Title: Re: Women, Keep Your Virtue
Post by: Choop on May 01, 2009, 05:25:52 am
it is easier for a five year old to solve the Fickian Diffusion Equation than it is for Sean Connery to change his accent
Title: Re: Women, Keep Your Virtue
Post by: Toaster on May 01, 2009, 06:37:58 am
Yes, I've heard those feckin' Diffusion Equations are difficult.
Title: Re: Women, Keep Your Virtue
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on May 01, 2009, 10:34:05 am
it is easier for a five year old to solve the Fickian Diffusion Equation than it is for Sean Connery to change his accent

An interesting idea: Maybe Sean Connery's accent is so ingrained and immutable that it no longer qualifies as an accent at all. Strictly speaking, an accent is an artifact of the way one learned one's primary language; it may not be "easy-in, easy-out" but it implies that an accent is tied to an initial level of plasticity that subsequently declines.

Sean Connery's "accent," however, is so horribly ingrained, that I'm beginning to question whether it is an accent, or if it is rather a speech impediment. Would Sir Connery still sound the same way, were he brought up a feral child without language? Did his infant babbles have the same brogue? Things to consider, if only to take heart in the fact that Sean Connery wore a diaper at least once before donning it in adult life for Zardoz.
Title: Re: Women, Keep Your Virtue
Post by: AugustWest on May 01, 2009, 02:01:47 pm
Did his infant babbles have the same brogue?

Now that is funny.
Title: Re: Women, Keep Your Virtue
Post by: lprkn on May 01, 2009, 10:44:53 pm
Women want him, men want to copy his drink.
(http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y181/lprkn/connery.jpg)

Extra credit: Caption

Also:
Best Connery quote: "We are talking from the point of strength, what if we were the weak one?" - In reference to Israel/Palestine

Worst: "I don't think there is anything particularly wrong in hitting a woman, though I don't recommend you do it the same way that you hit a man."

You guys

This board definitely has its moments, and they are better than most everything else available on the whole dang internet. A lot of which is done by people who are being paid for it.
Title: Re: Women, Keep Your Virtue
Post by: Choop on May 02, 2009, 06:42:39 am
those poor bastards
wait--
Title: Re: Women, Keep Your Virtue
Post by: TripperDay on June 03, 2009, 10:32:31 pm
quality lulz

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZ0jRuASVEQ&fmt=18

Never say "lulz".
Title: Re: Women, Keep Your Virtue
Post by: Cioran on June 07, 2009, 10:20:12 pm
O.K.