The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => Arts & Entertainment => Topic started by: Mite on November 24, 2003, 02:24:21 am

Title: The CD Chain begins:
Post by: Mite on November 24, 2003, 02:24:21 am
Ok everybody, here's the deal. I think the best way to do this is to have everybody send their cd to 3-5 people, each of whom will be a part of a self-contained ring. At this point, each ring will start operating independently of one another, but will have copies of everybody's cds. So when you mail your stack out a week later (or however long it takes), you'll be mailing 3-5 other people's cds (all but one of whom are not in your ring) to the next person in your mini-ring. I think this'll minimize major chain breakage without everybody having to make 16 copies and mailing them to 16 people. Does this make any sense? I've had an awful lot of coffee tonight.

I'll figure out who you'll mail 'em to, so if this is ok for everybody I'll send you your mailing list by the end of the week. Also, let me know if you've got some cash to spare and wouldn't mind letting our non-usa bretheren into this thing.

Here's who's in so far, pm me if you're interested and I can still fit you in:
FeeReep
Andalucia
slink
Gimpson
sjlimmer
pinkstainlesstail
V-adore
pmcd9
CortJStr
starlight
Augustwest
carlosdelvaca
jldunston
Asherdan
jough
Me

Questions/Comments?
Title: The CD Chain begins:
Post by: andalucia on November 24, 2003, 02:27:01 am
I am not terribly bright.
Title: Re: The CD Chain begins:
Post by: slink on November 24, 2003, 02:35:53 am
Quote from: "Mite"
Also, let me know if you've got some cash to spare and wouldn't mind letting our non-usa bretheren into this thing.


In case you forgot, or never noticed, I be one of those non USA brethren.
I don't know how much it's likely to cost?
If much, there are probably alternative ways of doing it for me. But I'll leave that up to you, since you seem to have a plan.
Well, one possibility actually, is to the cheap way out and just use slipcases and not jewel cases, since they would make it considerably more expensive. Also to remember to write gift on it so as I don't get hauled up for customs/VAT charge.
Anyway, I'm not decisive...
Title: The CD Chain begins:
Post by: Mite on November 24, 2003, 03:10:30 am
Quote from: "andalucia"
I am not terribly bright.

No, I'm too hyped up to explain. Also I have no way of scanning in the great back-of-the-envelope diagram I made. It'll work though. And I'll give everybody their own specific directions, so you won't have to worry about anything else.
Title: The CD Chain begins:
Post by: jough on November 24, 2003, 04:27:39 am
As long as you tell us where to send and when it should be no problem.

But just a quick question: how many times am I going to have to hit the post office for this gig?
Title: The CD Chain begins:
Post by: AlohaDawg on November 24, 2003, 04:57:46 am
I must be out of the USA now, and Slink got in! We are both islanders, after all.
Title: The CD Chain begins:
Post by: AugustWest on November 24, 2003, 05:01:57 am
OK, first of all, I have no clue as to how this is supposed to end up working.

And that's just fine.

Here's my question.  Will I end up getting 15 CD's or 3 to 5?

Also, would everybody post something about how the stalking laws work in their jurisdiction?
Title: The CD Chain begins:
Post by: V-Adore on November 24, 2003, 05:45:47 am
I confess I'm a little confused too.

Also, when are we talking as ETA for sending?
Title: The CD Chain begins:
Post by: jay-ell on November 24, 2003, 06:18:24 am
I sort of understand.  Maybe.  But I trust Mite to instruct me in the ways.  I've...I've...never done this with anyone before... :blush:
Title: The CD Chain begins:
Post by: Choop on November 24, 2003, 06:30:44 am
How did I not end up on that list?

Question 2: Can I just post the .mp3s on my website, as a playlist? I don't stream, but I'll host some files for download. Gladly. (attn:RIAA: I own each and every CD from which I will host a single track, in order to gain your clients a larger fan base. Your studies recently have proven that file-sharing widens fan-bases, have they not?

It's not like I'm sharing 1300 files on the KaZaA network or anything.
Title: The CD Chain begins:
Post by: Mite on November 24, 2003, 11:30:23 am
Ok, let's see what I can clear up here:
You will get 16 cds. You will have to go to the post office 4 times, and send 4 cds each time. The first time you'll mail 'em to 4 seperate people, and after that you'll just mail the ones you got last time to the next person in your mini-ring. And sorry Choop, I must have missed your name somewhere. But go ahead and post the mp3s if you'd prefer, though if you want to be in this I'll still have to have you mail stuff.

Sorry my scheme is so opaque; I think it was born from my mild obsession with combinatorics. I really think this will work pretty well, especially considering the size of our group. So - start gettin' your CD together, and I'll send you your marching orders over the thanksgiving holiday. I really can't do much until Wednesday.
Title: The CD Chain begins:
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on November 24, 2003, 03:23:09 pm
Mmmmph.

I am standing down.  Take me off the list, please.
Title: The CD Chain begins:
Post by: Mite on November 24, 2003, 04:34:53 pm
Any way I can make this easier? I don't want folks to drop out just 'cause I'm crazy.
Title: The CD Chain begins:
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on November 24, 2003, 04:47:11 pm
It seems that you are intent on everyone being able to hear everyone else's CD.  In exchanges I've participated in previously, that hasn't been the case.  You send out five CDs, you get five back, and it's luck of the draw as to whose you get.  If someone posts a track list that you really like, but you don't get their disc, you are free to beg, plead, send bribes, etc. to get a copy separately.

In my opinion, that's preferable to having to make multiple trips to the post office.  But that is, of course, just my opinion, and others may feel differently.
Title: The CD Chain begins:
Post by: sjlimmer on November 24, 2003, 04:48:05 pm
Quote from: "Mite"
Any way I can make this easier? I don't want folks to drop out just 'cause I'm crazy.


Seems easy enough to me; just follow your directions.  I'm looking forward to lots of new musical goodness.  Don't disappoint me, people.
Title: The CD Chain begins:
Post by: jough on November 24, 2003, 05:49:54 pm
I'm not dropping out, but I agree with Carlos that 4 trips to the PO to mail 16 CDs sounds like nine kinds of hassle.  Can't we just mail all of the discs back to you with some cash and have you re-distribute?

Or only trade within our smaller rings?

I guess what I'm saying is that I'm busy and lazy and that the post office tends to be closed when I'm awake, so I make a special trip only once a week.

I guess what I'm also saying is that if I have to mail 16 CDs (I don't even have that many media mailers) I'm going to be the weak link in the chain.
Title: The CD Chain begins:
Post by: Limmo on November 24, 2003, 06:18:48 pm
You left me off the list too, Mite.

Though I second Jough's apprehension about the multiple rings.  But it's your show....
Title: The CD Chain begins:
Post by: V-Adore on November 24, 2003, 06:33:28 pm
Okay... I think I understand. I'll do my best to do this, but, well, I'm a college kid. I don't even currently own any media mailers, truth be told. That, and I'll be going home for the holidays, which may make rerouting awkward... but I'll do my best. Of course, if I'll be an impediment, I'll step down.
Title: The CD Chain begins:
Post by: CortJstr on November 24, 2003, 07:10:51 pm
Why is this in The Ball Room?
Title: The CD Chain begins:
Post by: andalucia on November 24, 2003, 09:38:17 pm
Yeah, I'm unsure about this format too- partly that I dont understand it (do we end up actually owning cds?  I have a mental picture of them all being sent into some vast incinerator once they've travesed the rings)...
Secondly, I have no job and hence very little money, so I am not super keen on all the mailing and the paying and so forth...
Title: The CD Chain begins:
Post by: jough on November 25, 2003, 01:08:58 am
I would be happy to make five or six copies of mine that I could send to people to keep, and thus avoid some potential re-mailing, and if the ring was only that size everyone could keep a copy, thus avoiding even more mailing.
Title: The CD Chain begins:
Post by: V-Adore on November 25, 2003, 01:21:17 am
I really don't mind not hearing everyone's CDs, since I figure we can all post our tracklists anyway and get copies from people if there's something truly mindblowing. Personally, I would prefer something where I sent out five CDs to people, got five in return, and everyone kept them all to something more complicated.
Title: The CD Chain begins:
Post by: FeeReep on November 25, 2003, 02:30:52 am
I am a mindless automaton with a large supply of stamps. Instruct me.
Title: The CD Chain begins:
Post by: AugustWest on November 25, 2003, 02:34:20 am
Send all your stamps, cash money, negotiable securities, valuable art objects and interesting electronic devices to me immediately.
Title: The CD Chain begins:
Post by: FeeReep on November 25, 2003, 03:17:04 am
On top of everything else you delineated, AW, you were going to take me for my stamps?

damn, dog...
Title: The CD Chain begins:
Post by: AugustWest on November 25, 2003, 04:59:16 am
Why yes.  Also, if you have a jar of pennies in the basement, send those too.
Title: The CD Chain begins:
Post by: FeeReep on November 25, 2003, 05:51:43 am
(http://www.click-smilie.de/sammlung0903/grinser/grinning-:)-036.gif)

There is nothing sadder than a penniless automaton who just wants to share the gift of music.
Title: The CD Chain begins:
Post by: Mite on November 25, 2003, 06:00:53 am
Ok ok ok, I was concerned with creating the ideal cd chain instead of the easiest cd chain. That's fine people - if you all don't feel like suffering a little for your art, I guess that's ok... :wink:

But anyway, how 'bout this: we post our playlists, then pm the people whose cds you like, and work it out individually?
Title: The CD Chain begins:
Post by: jay-ell on November 25, 2003, 06:13:58 am
I thought the idea was to have a chance to listen to music we otherwise might not encounter...otherwise, it seems suspiciously like file swapping -- not kosher.

I'm all about interlocking chains.  How 'bout this: we have 3 or 4 "teams," and each team has a volunteer "leader."  Each team leader collects disks from each team member, and sends them to the other 2 - 3 team leaders.  Then each team leader distributes all the disks within his/her own team.  This way, everybody gets all the disks, but weak links like Jough only have to make 1 trip to the post office.  I'd be willing to be a "team leader" for one of the groups.  

Go ahead and poke all the holes you like in this idea...it's late and I don't think clearly after 10 PM.
Title: The CD Chain begins:
Post by: AugustWest on November 25, 2003, 06:15:04 am
I think this is a sucky idea, too. To clarify, on edit, I mean Mite's idea not JL's. Haven't digested JL's idea yet.  It may be stupid too.

A large part of the attraction of this thing is that you get random, heretofore unknown tracks from the great rabble outthere on the internet.  If you get to pick and choose which ones you want that whole effect is gone like the wind.

Personally, I want somebody to send me something that I was entirely not expecting and am highly unlikely to enjoy.  Chances are I'll like something that I get that way.
Title: The CD Chain begins:
Post by: jough on November 25, 2003, 06:17:14 am
If we do the playlist thing we'll have the problem of like, 20 people wanting my disc and no one wanting AugustWest's.  That just wouldn't be fair.
 
I like Mite's original idea, except instead of having to make 4 trips to the post office I only want to make 1, and I'm willing to make 5 or 6 copies of my discs, and will be willing to mail one of those copies to five or six people.

So how about it?  Smaller rings of 5-6 people?
Title: The CD Chain begins:
Post by: AugustWest on November 25, 2003, 06:18:31 am
I fully expect nobody but you and Slink to want my disk, Jough.
Title: The CD Chain begins:
Post by: jay-ell on November 25, 2003, 06:21:55 am
I want it!  I want AugustWest's...oh.  You said disk.  

Nevermind.  

Oooh, she's a naughty one tonight!
Title: The CD Chain begins:
Post by: Mite on November 25, 2003, 06:53:03 am
ok, ok, ok....let me sleep on it, I'll see what I can come up with.

I'm just having a hard time envisioning this without multiple post office trips.

*Consults combinatorics textbook*
Title: The CD Chain begins:
Post by: V-Adore on November 25, 2003, 07:05:07 am
What we need more of is, in fact, science.

(And, in my case, CD-R's.)
Title: The CD Chain begins:
Post by: slink on November 25, 2003, 07:22:03 am
Quote from: "AugustWest"
I fully expect nobody but you and Slink to want my disk, Jough.


I'm looking forward to it already.
Hell, I don't even mind if a disk of dgood tunes has stuff I have on it, if it's ordered in a way that makes it a new experience to listen to.
My mate and I who DJ'd together at a bunch of rock clubs used to send each other playlists for winamp (without the mp3's just the lists) 'cause we have all the same mp3s - all encoded across both for mixing purposes.

So anyway, yes. What?
Well, I'm going to get onto making the mix tonight or tomorrow, possibly planned between the two, so it'll be a good one, I hope. If my desk doesn't break too much during it - I desperately need a new crossfade.
Title: The CD Chain begins:
Post by: AugustWest on November 25, 2003, 02:22:22 pm
Quote from: "jldunston"
I want it!  I want AugustWest's...oh.  You said disk.  

Nevermind.  

Oooh, she's a naughty one tonight!


Well, I guess I went to bed about 3 minutes too early last night.
Title: The CD Chain begins:
Post by: jough on November 25, 2003, 05:02:19 pm
Trust me, August, you're better off.  The way she grabs hold of... well, perhaps I've said too much.