The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => Science & Nature => Topic started by: Toaster on May 19, 2009, 06:07:52 am

Title: Browser Troubles
Post by: Toaster on May 19, 2009, 06:07:52 am
Does having two browsers (in my case, Internet Explorer and Firefox) make your computer go wonky in some way, perhaps slowing down?
Title: Re: Browser Troubles
Post by: KeithHernandez on May 19, 2009, 06:16:34 am
Maybe using them both at once would?  Is that what you mean?

Firefox is such a good program because it uses a shit ton of resources, but, again, only while running.
Title: Re: Browser Troubles
Post by: Toaster on May 19, 2009, 06:28:37 am
No, not both at once.

Basically, Netflix's "Watch Instantly" service will only work in IE, so that's why I still have IE in the first place. But it's wicked slow. So this morning I had a hypothesis that IE would run faster if I uninstalled Firefox. So I did, and it appears to be working. But... I don't want to go without Firefox; that sucks. And also I don't see a reason why it would work; that seems stupid too. I kinda want to find out that I'm using a logical fallacy somewhere and the problem really isn't the browsers, so I can have my Firefox back.

I really wish I knew more about computers.
Title: Re: Browser Troubles
Post by: Choop on May 19, 2009, 06:31:05 am
yes. remove every trace of internet explorer. it only causes problems.

meanwhile make sure to restart firefox regularly, and keep your browsing history cleared out.

also, try chrome. it's actually a really great browser that's only missing a couple things (adblock, advanced web dev tools).
Title: Re: Browser Troubles
Post by: Doc on May 19, 2009, 06:32:01 am
I like chrome but it does this wonky thing where it won't full screen properly if I attach another monitor to my laptop, so I'm still a firefox man for now.
Title: Re: Browser Troubles
Post by: Toaster on May 19, 2009, 06:34:00 am
Okay, I'm just gonna unistall IE forever. Thanks, guys.
Title: Re: Browser Troubles
Post by: Leon on May 19, 2009, 07:32:44 am
Okay, I'm just gonna unistall IE forever. Thanks, guys.

you cant
Title: Re: Browser Troubles
Post by: Toaster on May 19, 2009, 07:52:48 am
This appears true! Scandalous! Those scalliwags up in Redmond...
Title: Re: Browser Troubles
Post by: Choop on May 19, 2009, 08:24:45 am
actually... it *is* completely removable. but more to the point, it's completely subvertible. you can replace every IE icon and shortcut with a renamed and remasked firefox icon, and it's kept my technophobe parents from having to reinstall windows xp every six months. they're up to ten months on an install mainly because i can't keep my mother from installing incredimail but that's a different story for a different place.

used to be you could find IE uninstallers on the net but now it's all so tied down and hardwired through that they use IE controls to display everything from your folder contents to help to your desktop. thanks for turning a shitty operating system with a shitty browser into a shittier operating system *based on* a shittier browser, paul allen. no, thanks a fuck*ng load. you helped me decide on a mac

anyway. just use IE for netflix-on-demand and use firefox without too many extensions and follow my advice upthread and you'll be fine.
Title: Re: Browser Troubles
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on May 19, 2009, 05:52:30 pm
I have both Chrome and IE on no less than four computers, and have no troubles.
Title: Re: Browser Troubles
Post by: theinevitable on May 19, 2009, 07:12:14 pm
firefox has been doing this thing for several months where it won't keep me logged into things. it will save my passwords, but every time I close the window it logs me out of everything (touamb, facebook, gmail, etc.)

What gives?

I have it set to accept cookies, clear my browsing history after 2 days, never clear private data without asking me... but it keeps logging me out of everything.
Title: Re: Browser Troubles
Post by: CortJstr on May 19, 2009, 08:16:17 pm
firefox has been doing this thing for several months where it won't keep me logged into things. it will save my passwords, but every time I close the window it logs me out of everything (touamb, facebook, gmail, etc.)

What gives?

I have it set to accept cookies, clear my browsing history after 2 days, never clear private data without asking me... but it keeps logging me out of everything.


Check Tools -> Options -> Privacy

In the Cookies section it says "Keep Until:" Do you have "I close Firefox" selected?
Title: Re: Browser Troubles
Post by: theinevitable on May 19, 2009, 09:15:46 pm
"Keep Until they Expire" is selected.
Title: Re: Browser Troubles
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on May 19, 2009, 11:36:40 pm
I wonder if the Netflix on Demand would work with the WINE version of IE.
Title: Re: Browser Troubles
Post by: CortJstr on May 20, 2009, 03:12:08 am
"Keep Until they Expire" is selected.

Then I have no ideas.
Title: Re: Browser Troubles
Post by: alreadyinuse on July 14, 2009, 06:11:04 am
hello Toaster

if the firefox is weriding then uninstall and reinstall it that should give you the default settings

there might also be a "reset to default" button in the settings.

also...  you should download spybot s&d http://www.safer-networking.org/index2.html and install it and run it and let it kill any bad software you have on your system

also if you have < 2GB of RAM it's time to buy more @ newegg.com or get a new computer.