The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => Wild Card => Topic started by: robot_god on May 20, 2009, 03:22:48 pm

Title: I graduated from school.
Post by: robot_god on May 20, 2009, 03:22:48 pm
Technically, now I am a doctor.  But that fact doesn't really give me no satisfaction at all.  Probably because I feel that it was a store-bought challenge and not something I felt honestly compelled to do.

Maybe I will feel more satisfaction after I get that money.  Anyway today I'm gonna have a day of excess.  Dad bought me a bottle of Lagavulin 16 year, and I'm gonna have some pork at The Smoke House.  Zagat rated #1 in like 2009 and 2008, whatttt.
Title: Re: I graduated from school.
Post by: JorgeFabregas on May 20, 2009, 03:26:24 pm
Were you dishonestly compelled?

Congrats!
Title: Re: I graduated from school.
Post by: CortJstr on May 20, 2009, 03:27:17 pm
What sort of doctor? Should I be bugging you to join the professional association for radiologists at which I work?
Title: Re: I graduated from school.
Post by: Choop on May 20, 2009, 03:47:45 pm
regardless of the answer to the first question

What sort of doctor?

the answer to the second

Should I be bugging you to join the professional association for radiologists at which I work?

is no.
Title: Re: I graduated from school.
Post by: jaydub on May 20, 2009, 04:05:09 pm
Does this mean we'll see you here more, or less?

Congratulations on the completion of a very long term project!
Title: Re: I graduated from school.
Post by: wombat on May 20, 2009, 04:51:52 pm
Look on the bright side. Now you can say all the time "Dammit Jim, I'm a doctor, not a..."

Does he ever say that in the new movie?
Title: Re: I graduated from school.
Post by: theinevitable on May 20, 2009, 06:08:15 pm
congratulations!

and yes wombat, I believe he does say that line.
Title: Re: I graduated from school.
Post by: CortJstr on May 20, 2009, 06:55:21 pm
Look on the bright side. Now you can say all the time "Dammit Jim, I'm a doctor, not a..."

Does he ever say that in the new movie?

I think it's "Dammit Spock" but otherwise yes.
Title: Re: I graduated from school.
Post by: robot_god on May 20, 2009, 08:33:05 pm
I'm a PharmD.  I didn't put very much effort into this semester of school so... it shouldn't effect my posting habits.  But since I've posted now three times today, that probably will.  You know, it's like object in motion stays in motion.  Also Onstand was making me bored so I resubbed to the fanflow, so now I'll probably think of the board more often as well.

Hmm, it's getting late, I'd better start tasting my whiskeys, na mean?
Title: Re: I graduated from school.
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on May 20, 2009, 08:34:26 pm
Technically, now I am a doctor.  But that fact doesn't really give me no satisfaction at all.  Probably because I feel that it was a store-bought challenge and not something I felt honestly compelled to do.

Maybe I will feel more satisfaction after I get that money.  Anyway today I'm gonna have a day of excess.  Dad bought me a bottle of Lagavulin 16 year, and I'm gonna have some pork at The Smoke House.  Zagat rated #1 in like 2009 and 2008, whatttt.

After achieving an advanced degree in the study and practice of improving human health, he celebrates with toxic chemicals and unhealthy meats.

(but seriously, congrats)
Title: Re: I graduated from school.
Post by: miles on May 21, 2009, 12:37:35 am
Congrats. This serves as a gentle reminder to me that my life so far has amounted to little, and I need figure out what I'm going to do with it. On the bright side of things, Mirror Pond Pale Ale is now available in Utah.
Title: Re: I graduated from school.
Post by: AugustWest on May 21, 2009, 01:54:28 am
After achieving an advanced degree in the study and practice of improving human health, he celebrates with toxic chemicals and unhealthy meats.


Education.
Title: Re: I graduated from school.
Post by: Doc on May 21, 2009, 04:08:48 am
Congrats man, but don't tell me this:

But that fact doesn't really give me no satisfaction at all.

I got my first exam in like 2 weeks, I need to keep some optimism all up in this space.
Title: Re: I graduated from school.
Post by: Toaster on May 21, 2009, 04:32:08 am
If I was a doctor, I would be one of those doctors who corrects people who called me "Mr."

And I would constantly be using my job to impress women. I would become a doctor just for that reason.
Title: Re: I graduated from school.
Post by: Ruta Bagas on May 21, 2009, 08:29:11 am
If you do that, you're just opening yourself up to being one-upped by surgeons who correct people who call them "Dr".

Although I guess that's probably a UK thing, so perhaps not.
Title: Re: I graduated from school.
Post by: Toaster on May 21, 2009, 08:40:53 am
I am intrigued. What are surgeons called in the UK, if not "doctor"?
Title: Re: I graduated from school.
Post by: Ruta Bagas on May 21, 2009, 09:28:17 am
Once you get a surgical qualification over here, you go back to being 'Mr' or 'Ms' or whatever. I assume it stems from the days when surgeons weren't really qualified at all, but it has a nice ring of "I cut people up all day, I don't need a fancy title to show off my position".
Title: Re: I graduated from school.
Post by: jaydub on May 21, 2009, 04:40:48 pm
Here in the US, if my Registered Nurse sister-in-law is to be believed, surgeons prefer to be addressed as "Your Lordship", or "Highness".
Title: Re: I graduated from school.
Post by: pmcd9 on May 22, 2009, 07:15:55 pm
If I was a doctor, I would be one of those doctors who corrects people who called me "Mr."

If you do that you will be cursed with people thinking you are an MD wanting you to look at their rash.