The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => Arts & Entertainment => Topic started by: Choop on May 30, 2009, 08:15:14 am

Title: raimi kickin it old school
Post by: Choop on May 30, 2009, 08:15:14 am
i just saw drag me to hell, sam raimi's new horror flick that's a throwback to low-budget horror stuff like evil dead (wombat, evil dead was sam raimi's first movie, super low-budget and super-scary and fun).

the budget for this one is much bigger than evil dead's, of course, since he's also done the spiderman movies, but it has that same feeling of cheap '70s horror films. it's funny in a lot of parts, it's scary enough to have made me jump several times and the missus to cut off circulation in my hand from constant squeezings, and its final scene is so smart and unexpected i'm still amazed.

also i sat next to ron howard so that was cool. well, three seats over or so, it's not like we were sharing popcorn.

if you like horror flicks or need an excuse to make contact with a person you're into, go see this one.
Title: Re: raimi kickin it old school
Post by: Doc on May 30, 2009, 08:58:38 am
I read a good review on CHUD, good to see it comes with the Choop seal of approval. Never been a big horror buff but I think I'll check this one out.
Title: Re: raimi kickin it old school
Post by: wombat on May 30, 2009, 03:10:01 pm
Funny you should mention, right now the wombat household has Evil Dead from Netflix. I don't know if we got the idea from you guys somewhere. Have not watched it yet.
Title: Re: raimi kickin it old school
Post by: miles on May 30, 2009, 08:16:25 pm
I've been looking forward to this one for a while, and not just because I have a crush on Alison Lohman. I hate Justin Long, though. Is he bearable?
Title: Re: raimi kickin it old school
Post by: Choop on May 31, 2009, 03:41:25 am
yeah he ain't in it all that much, and when he's in it he's not "a mac" he's just a dude, maybe the same dude that made up that school in "accepted."
Title: Re: raimi kickin it old school
Post by: miles on July 01, 2009, 03:28:58 am
Saw it and it was great. A second recommendation to see it if it's still playing near you.
Title: Re: raimi kickin it old school
Post by: jaydub on July 01, 2009, 04:48:05 am
Nice.  I want to know what Wombat thought of Evil Dead though.
Title: Re: raimi kickin it old school
Post by: wombat on July 01, 2009, 12:38:28 pm
It was.... remarkable?
Title: Re: raimi kickin it old school
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on July 23, 2009, 04:44:11 pm
Raimi to direct the World of Warcraft movie. I want Bruce Campbell as an orc. It's not much of a stretch for him.
Title: Re: raimi kickin it old school
Post by: lprkn on July 24, 2009, 04:19:57 am
I want Bruce Campbell as the star of a major motion picture.

Fuck it, I want Bruce Campbell, period.
Title: Re: raimi kickin it old school
Post by: smick on July 24, 2009, 08:45:28 pm
I just heard this morning that Raimi is pegged to direct the World of Warcraft movie.

That's like...learning the most wonderful thing in the world is made out of poop.  Maybe it's like learning the worst thing in the world is made out of gold.

Maybe you decide.
Title: Re: raimi kickin it old school
Post by: Choop on July 24, 2009, 11:58:30 pm
look if he can make another "drag me to hell" i don't care if he directs "the wonderful world of doctor {eddie murphy's animated scientist character name}'s sneeze machine part three: bless who?" for the funds