The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board
Trivial Pursuits => Arts & Entertainment => Topic started by: jay-ell on November 24, 2003, 07:56:03 am
-
I just downloaded Weezer's first album off iTunes. I was a freshman in high school when the album originally came out, and I had it on cassette tape. You know. Back when Weezer was indie. But I've rediscovered them (thanks to you fine people) and they bring back some great memories. What music have you rediscovered recently, and is it always as good as you remembered?
Weezer. Tasty as ever.
-
The 10 year anniversary of the release of that album is in May. A friend of mine is throwing a party. I will be in another state, and will sit alone, feeling very, very old.
We so used to play that record while playing D&D in 9th grade...
I just rediscovered the Hedwig and the Angry Inch soundtrack. Granded, it'd only been shelved for a year or two, but it was still pleasant.
I tried to rediscover Green Day's Dookie a while ago, but it was still bad.
Also, I was finally able to get over past bad associations (read: creepy guy in high school who was obsessed with me and this artist) and got me some Tom Waits.
-
Also, I was finally able to get over past bad associations (read: creepy guy in high school who was obsessed with me and this artist) and got me some Tom Waits.
Ach, if Tom Waits were ruined every time a creepy male acquaintance listened to him...... well dammit.... he'd be pretty goddamn....... ruined.
-
Yeah, but he was more like a creepy male stalker who was always trying to get me to listen. And he's still at it, too (9 years later).
-
The 10 year anniversary of the release of that album is in May. A friend of mine is throwing a party. I will be in another state, and will sit alone, feeling very, very old.
We so used to play that record while playing D&D in 9th grade...
I'd have to say that if you were still in high school ten years ago, you're not old (30+ crowd represent!).
As for re-discoveries, a recent one for me was XTC "Nonsuch", which I hadn't listened to in years.
-
Hearing the Twilight Singers (Greg Dulli's new project) on a compilation disc made me go pull out all my Afghan Whigs CDs. Man did they rock.
-
I hadn't really listened to Nirvana since they were big, and I somehow missed that "Greatest Hits" album they put out last year with the new song on it, so I finally acquired that and dug out my old CDs. These guys were much better than they received credit for.
And hearing Morphine's "Buena" on a car commercial also was a catalyst for my digging out the old Morphine albums. Good stuff, but I can only listen to them at night, preferably when it's raining.
-
I'd have to say that if you were still in high school ten years ago, you're not old (30+ crowd represent!).
No kidding. I was 27 when the blue album came out, and I liked it, but it isn't the touchstone for me that it is for the young'uns. I only liked two songs off of Pinkerton, and that's pretty much it for me.
I recently dug out the Velvet Underground box, Peel Slowly and See, because I woke up one day with "Sunday Morning" stuck on repeat in my head. I return to the Velvets in ever-widening arcs of time. Now I'm listening to Loaded for the first time in a while.
I tried to listen to Nirvana's Bleach and Incesticide over the weekend, and I just can't seem to do it. It pisses me off too much.
-
I tried to rediscover Green Day's Dookie a while ago, but it was still bad.
I suppose this is taste for you, but my rediscovery of Dookie was a very, very sweet thing. Of course, Dookie was, IIRC, the first tape (yes, cassette) I really bought for myself -- at 13, when I was just becoming aware of this whole "rock music" thing. And "When I Come Around" is still a fine, fine track.
My mother, on some sort of dubious memory of me liking them six years ago, sent me the newest Smash Mouth CD for my birthday back in September. I love the damn thing.
-
Of course, Dookie was, IIRC, the first tape (yes, cassette) I really bought for myself -- at 13, when I was just becoming aware of this whole "rock music" thing.
The first album I ever bought myself was Queen, News of the World. And it was on 8-track.
-
The first album I ever bought myself was Queen, News of the World. And it was on 8-track.
KISS ALIVE II. Double vinyl with the fake tattoos enclosed. Saved my allowance for weeks to get it.
I wish I could get that excited about buying records again.
-
First album: Billy Joel, Glass Houses. 35+ crowd Represented...
-
Represent brotha:
Second 8-track buy -- Styx, The Grand Illusion and Kansas, Point of Know Return
-
My second buy was a problem, because that's when Kiss decided to release their four simultaneous solo albums. After many hours of decision, I bought the Peter Criss album. Reasoning: I had a pretty good idea of what the other three LPs would sound like, but no idea whatsoever what the Cat-Man would bring to the table. ( As it turned out: bad lite rock and oldies covers! )
Many, many weeks of allowance lost on those four.
-
Dookie was a pretty good album. Green Day has become a bit of a joke lately, but their earlier stuff was great.
The first album I ever bought for myself was Miles Davis "Kind of Blue." Around the same time I pretty much absconded with my parent's copy of Queen's Greatest Hits and was given a copy of Bruce Springsteen's "Born in the U.S.A."
The first single I ever bought was a Chicago song - one of their late 70s/early 80s chick tracks.
Of course, these were all on vinyl.
I held out on CDs until around 1990 (I know, I know - luddite that I am) but was listening to mostly cassettes of in hindsight horrible punk and hardcore bands during my teen years (although I still like the Sex Pistols and the Dead Kennedys, with a little Minor Threat, Misfits, and Fugazi that I still don't find cheesy).
Then of course, there's The Damned, who are in a class by themselves.
Don't forget the chaosssssssssssssssssssssssss!
-
First album purchased for me: New Kids on the Block, on cassete. I re-gifted it almost immediately.
First album I purchased for myself: Phantom of the Opera, on CD. 1994. It was my first CD, which I bought for my birthday, having received my first CD player for Christmas a few months before. It was followed closely by Les Miserables and other such albums, and then I started buying cool stuff, like Appetite for Destruction. But for a while my CD collection read like a middle-aged gay man's -- nothing but soundtracks from musicals and Disney movies.
-
The first album I ever bought for myself was Miles Davis "Kind of Blue."
Showoff.
I shan't say the first album I bought, since it would be far too revealing of my age.
-
The sad thing is that I bought Dookie and a few other things (Primitive Radio Gods, anybody?) and then immediately forgot you could buy music for about two years. CDs bought coming out of the slump: Fastball's "All The Pain Money Can Buy" (not so good, although "The Way" is an incredible single), TMBG's "Severe Tire Damage," and Semisonic's "Feeling Strangely Fine" (both absolutely orgasmic).
-
If I can't remember the first Achewood strip I read, I sure can't remember as far back as the first record I bought myself. It was probably something by Simon and Garfunkel. And the first one bought for me was undoubtedly something horrific like the Partridge Family. It is a tragic thing to be a child of the 70s.
-
Yeah, we 80s kids didn't fare too much better. I think my first tape purchase was the Cocktail soundtrack.
-
OK Smells, You win.
-
OK Smells, You win.
I think you're confusing Mite and side_show again, August.
-
That's ok - one of my students got frustrated with my quick wit and ability to parry her every feeble insult and told me I smelled bad today.
God bless 8th graders.
-
... Mite is Smells? My paradigm, it shifts without a clutch!
-
C'Arica (my student) sure thinks so. But nobody else has ever mentioned it. Maybe they're too polite?
-
The first album I ever bought for myself was Miles Davis "Kind of Blue."
Get OUT. Were you an overly serious kid?
Shouldn't your first album purchase be something goofy? First album I ever bought was ELO's Greatest Hits.
-
The first album I ever bought for myself was Miles Davis "Kind of Blue."
Get OUT. Were you an overly serious kid?
Does this question really need asking?
-
OK Smells, You win.
I think you're confusing Mite and Smells again, August.
Whoopsy. Sorry. But, Again? I've done this before? Stupid short-term memory loss.
I fully expect my title to mysteriously become "President of the NRA" anytime now.
-
When I was a child, my favourite band was the Philadelphia Orchestra under Ormandy's direction.
Mozart was my favourite songwriter.
You have NO idea how happy I was when the film "Amadeus" came out. Then I was disappointed that they protrayed him as a retard.
But still, all of my little snotty friends who were more into Shostakovich and Mahler (all, the impetuousness of youth!) had to admit that W. A. Mozart just fuck*ng rocked their motherfuck*ng socks off.
Anyway, as I got a little older I was mostly into jazz and punk rock.
-
But still, all of my little snotty friends who were more into Shostakovich and Mahler (all, the impetuousness of youth!) had to admit that W. A. Mozart just fuck*ng rocked their motherfuck*ng socks off.
You'd have to be one fuck*ng impetuous kid to prefer Mahler to Mozart!
Although personally I always prefered Bach to most anything else.
Yeah, I was one of those kids, although I also listened to everything else.
My first buy was either something like an early Tom Waits, or maybe Skinny Puppy.
But my memory sucks beyond all belief.
-
C'Arica (my student) sure thinks so. But nobody else has ever mentioned it. Maybe they're too polite?
On second thought... I'm not entirely sure that I can take the testimony of anyone named "C'Arica" that seriously. I would expect them to constantly be breaking out into Young-Adult fantasy adventures.
-
C'Arica (my student) sure thinks so. But nobody else has ever mentioned it. Maybe they're too polite?
On second thought... I'm not entirely sure that I can take the testimony of anyone named "C'Arica" that seriously. I would expect them to constantly be breaking out into Young-Adult fantasy adventures.
I heard she's a ho. She was datin' Raistlin then dumped him for his jock brother Caramon. Grade A Skank.
-
Slink: I like Bach while I'm working. I can't listen to Mozart and write at the same time - he's just too involving.
Ditto Beethoven, who is just so totally punk fuck*ng rock.
I listened to all sorts of things as a kid, and still do, although I'm finding new music just isn't working for me as much as old. I've been listening to a lot of 30s and 40s music lately - swing and cabaret. I guess styles change.
And the Beach Boys. I've been listening to a lot of Beach Boys lately.
-- Jough
P.S. LOL Cort. I heard that about C'Arica too, although I think she was seeing Jamon and Udugu on the side. Ho.
-
I heard she's a ho. She was datin' Raistlin then dumped him for his jock brother Caramon. Grade A Skank.
You're my new hero. Dragonlance chronicles represent, yo.
Not that I'd know anything about something as geeky as D&D trade paperback series...or anything like that...
-
I loved those books when I was in like 5th grade. But after the first 6 they dropped off pretty rapidly. It made me pretty sad, actually.
-
I heard she's a ho. She was datin' Raistlin then dumped him for his jock brother Caramon. Grade A Skank.
You're my new hero. Dragonlance chronicles represent, yo.
Not that I'd know anything about something as geeky as D&D trade paperback series...or anything like that...
Man, Mite, you beat me to the "hey, I get that reference! I'm such a dork" post. But, yes, I get that reference, and I am such a dork.
-
I didn't get the reference. Of course, I'm a geek, not a dork.
-
That's ok, jough, I didn't get yours, either.