The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board
Achewood => Achewood => Topic started by: Toaster on June 14, 2009, 05:46:23 pm
-
I give it seven years before "The History of Masculine Honor" is an actual college course somewhere in our world. I have often thought that scholarly legitimacy should be given to more things. But not in a college course way. More like there's just a guy in your circle of friends, or maybe you see him down at the pub, and he's made it his hobby to be really knowledgeable about something. Like the way some people are about trainspotting, or urban legends, or ghost stories. Remember the episode of Seinfeld where Kramer knew everything about the Miss America contest? Like that.
http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=06142009
-
Thank god I don't live in the days when that was how acts of nonsense were rewarded.
-
Paging Cioran...
-
I give it seven years before "The History of Masculine Honor" is an actual college course somewhere in our world. I have often thought that scholarly legitimacy should be given to more things. But not in a college course way. More like there's just a guy in your circle of friends, or maybe you see him down at the pub, and he's made it his hobby to be really knowledgeable about something. Like the way some people are about trainspotting, or urban legends, or ghost stories. Remember the episode of Seinfeld where Kramer knew everything about the Miss America contest? Like that.
I agree entirely. I've always felt pop music should be taken seriously - I'm that guy.
-
The idea that dogs cost money IS kind of The Softest Thing, isn't it?
I mean, there's dogs everywhere. There's dogs for free and if no one takes them for free, they're shuffled off this mortal coil...
But we pay sometimes big money for the specific kind of dog that we liked in a television show or that we think matches our internal vision of our personality... raised in often horrific conditions to assure that its exactly the kind of dog you think represents you... instead of getting a dog for free, that'll probably eat scraps and bark at strangers and run around in circles with children as perfectly fine as any other dog, that was made by the perfectly zest and natural process of two dogs running into each other and then fuck*ng on a side walk without a hint of shame in that way that makes us sad we're people but happy that there are dogs.
Sorta sums it all up right there on the softness of our culture.
What is instinctive and of utility is held on a shelf until murdered, what is complicated and vain is sold at inflated prices.
Yep. Well said, dead talking cat from the past in the heaven for dead talking cats from that particular time and place.
-
http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=06142009
stop forgetting the links people they are kind of important
-
No, man. The Softest Thing is The Removal Of Wisdom Teeth.
Excuse me, orthodontist? What was that you said? My jaw is not big enough to hold the teeth that the gods gave me because natural selection has allowed my more recent ancestors to be smaller and less robust than my more distant ancestors, and the rate at which vestigial organs are phased out has been outstripped by the human race's progress in securing material comforts to favor a more sedentary lifestyle? Are you trying to tell me that because people today eat much more grain that they did 10,000 years ago, that you need to remove some of my teeth because they are impacted and causing me headaches? Are you trying to tell me I'm not tough? Are you trying to tell me that in the event of time travel or an apocalypse, I would not be able to survive on a diet similar to that enjoyed by ancient humans? Are you telling me that I would die if I ever needed to survive in the wild? Shut up, orthodontist, you can go fuck a dog. You're not even a real doctor.
EDIT:Aw, fuck. I forgot the link. My orthodontist was right.
-
LFM, the most recent estimate I was given by someone in the business was that about 25% of shelter dogs are purebred, which means that the vast majority of the dogs that are put down because "no one takes them for free" are exactly the product of the "natural process of two dogs running into each other and then fuck*ng on a side walk."
I thought the job that still needed to be done by humane organizations was to convince people who hadn't thought about it or didn't care, which is hard enough. I had no idea that there were people who would actually advocate for letting unaltered dogs roam around on the street getting hit by cars and making unwanted puppies.
-
that's not what he said at all.
he is saying those dogs should be adopted by the people who want dogs instead of buying the others.
when those dogs fuck it is natural, when the expense dogs fuck it is not. roaming the street isn't literal, maybe the dog jumped to its neighbors dog to bone.
-
Yeah.
I am not saying that it is great that there are stray dogs making stray dogs that suffer, not at all.
I'm just saying... I see what he's saying that we're Soft when there are dogs out there for free, that actually need homes and would fulfill all the reasonable roles of a dog and... no, we pay money for them. I guess because we have expectations of a dog that are completely alien to a dude in a farming village 400 years ago where, you know, you need a dog, someone's dog is making other dogs and is happy to give one away.
It's along the same lines of paying for little bottles of water while driving around when we get water in our own homes almost cheap as free.
That's what I'm refering to. The dead talking cat in dead talking cat past heaven is talking about that kind of situation.
-
No, man. The Softest Thing is The Removal Of Wisdom Teeth.
I asked my orthodontist who had done dentistry on South African tribespeople why we need our wisdom teeth taken out, given evolution and all, and he said that we need our wisdom teeth removed these days because we don't eat as much dirt. Our food used to be full of grit and stuff which polished our teeth and wore them down to the point that we needed the wisdom teeth to come in to fill in the gaps. Nowadays the food is so soft and clean our teeth don't wear down. Take a look at Nat Geo pics of tribespeople: hell of gaps between all their teeth.
So basically it's not us that's soft it's the food. You can remedy it by keeping a shaker of sand on your table.
Re: manliness, here is "how to be an alpha male". You're welcome.
http://www.mediafire.com/?dao23ggbikt