The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Achewood => Achewood => Topic started by: jaydub on June 23, 2009, 11:50:54 pm

Title: 2009-06-10 Non compost mentis
Post by: jaydub on June 23, 2009, 11:50:54 pm
71 friend requests (http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=06232009), 3 dead, and 1 update from Myrtle talking (coincidentally?) about trees.

I suppose at some point society should come up with a way to inform your online friends that you're worm food.  Facebook does seem well positioned at this point.
Title: Re: 2009-06-10 Non compost mentis
Post by: Ruta Bagas on June 24, 2009, 12:41:55 am
It is hard to know what should be done with your Facebook profile after you've passed away.

In some ways, it's a great thing to remember someone by. In others, it's just weird.
Title: Re: 2009-06-10 Non compost mentis
Post by: Doc on June 24, 2009, 12:52:16 am
When I saw it was a strip about facebook and death I assumed it was going to be Roast Beef, so I was pleasantly surprised.
Title: Re: 2009-06-10 Non compost mentis
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on June 24, 2009, 12:53:30 am
I also do not like people who quote Ayn Rand every day at every possible moment and this is from a guy who owns everything she ever wrote.
Shirt Garters
Attach your shirt-tails to your socks. Do not hesitate in ordering this item.
Title: Re: 2009-06-10 Non compost mentis
Post by: Cap'n Squeakers on June 24, 2009, 01:31:35 am
An Achewood strip that defines "phoned in," resting as it does in a Facebook-themed jape that would not look out of place on any of 300 other web comics.  Clearly, Onstad has not sacrificed quantity for quality.
Title: Re: 2009-06-10 Non compost mentis
Post by: AugustWest on June 24, 2009, 02:17:36 am
An Achewood strip that defines "phoned in," resting as it does in a Facebook-themed jape that would not look out of place on any of 300 other web comics.  Clearly, Onstad has not sacrificed quantity for quality.

Nuh-uh!
Title: Re: 2009-06-10 Non compost mentis
Post by: wombat on June 24, 2009, 02:26:20 am
I suppose at some point society should come up with a way to inform your online friends that you're worm food. 


There is a company that offers this service. I don't remember what it's called but they were on NPR.

T's description of Facebook is horrifying. If I hadn't already been bullied into joining, that would have scared me off forever. And Mr Bear is very correct about life.

Title: Re: 2009-06-10 Non compost mentis
Post by: CortJstr on June 24, 2009, 02:50:02 am
Back around '98 I knew a few people who had installed a Dead Man's Switch on their computers. If left untended for more like 2 or 3 weeks it sent out an automated e-mail and posted to your favorite message boards.
Title: Re: 2009-06-10 Non compost mentis
Post by: Lister on June 24, 2009, 02:55:04 am
There's always the possibility of using timestamps on news posts for this purpose.  Just schedule your "If you're reading this, I'm probably dead" post for some point a week or so in the future, and keep pushing that date back every morning.

In my case, this wouldn't work because no one reads my site anyway (because I stopped updating it).  Maybe they thought it had already happened.
Title: Re: 2009-06-10 Non compost mentis
Post by: Toaster on June 24, 2009, 03:44:50 am
I can't remember if I've said this before: When I die, I want to leave my friends a grand adventure with clues and puzzles and a road trip and life lessons. Like remember when Roast Beef planned to leave an envelope with his insurance information? It would be like that, except grandiose. Like The fuck*ng Westing Game or some shit.
Title: Re: 2009-06-10 Non compost mentis
Post by: Victoria Waterfield on June 24, 2009, 06:03:59 am
Like The fuck*ng Westing Game or some shit.

Hell yes The Westing Game. All Sandy McSouthers and that shit. Berthe Erica Crow. The Something-Christos Parrot. Sydelle Pulaski.

Yeah.
Title: Re: 2009-06-10 Non compost mentis
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on June 24, 2009, 06:16:52 am
I can't remember if I've said this before: When I die, I want to leave my friends a grand adventure with clues and puzzles and a road trip and life lessons. Like remember when Roast Beef planned to leave an envelope with his insurance information? It would be like that, except grandiose. Like The fuck*ng Westing Game or some shit.
There was a movie about this where some ugly chick's irish husband died and left her a series of clues to go on some elaborate pointless adventure. I dont remember the name.
Title: Re: 2009-06-10 Non compost mentis
Post by: Toaster on June 24, 2009, 07:02:03 am
There was a movie about this where some ugly chick's irish husband died and left her a series of clues to go on some elaborate pointless adventure. I dont remember the name.

It was "P.S. I Love You", and it was Hillary Swank and she's hot, and he taught her to follow her dreams. So yeah.
Title: Re: 2009-06-10 Non compost mentis
Post by: Choop on June 24, 2009, 08:59:36 am
toaster i sure hope you're wrong because if'n you ain't a-cap just earned himself a beatdown from the million dollar baby herSELF
Title: Re: 2009-06-10 Non compost mentis
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on June 24, 2009, 01:46:45 pm
I thought Facebook already had a policy about dead users.  They turn your page into a "memorial" for a year or so.
Title: Re: 2009-06-10 Non compost mentis
Post by: lprkn on June 25, 2009, 01:41:36 am
They are correctly termed "shirt stays."

How to wear shirt stays (http://www.ehow.com/how_2076821_wear-shirt-stays.html).