The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board
Achewood => Achewood => Topic started by: Twelvebottoms on November 24, 2003, 09:36:34 pm
-
Or the one that grabbed you and made you a crazed fan. What was it?
The first I saw was "Ray did you ever think that these crummy chimichangas are my way of reaching out for help dammit"
Hooked ever since...
buhbye
12B
(hullo)
-
I think it was around here (http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=10222002), though I'm not totally sure... memory hazy... circuits failing...
Edit: Wait, I'm on crack. I was reading Achewood before the summer started. The strip that V cited was the first one I emailed to my sister to get her hooked. Uhhh... never mind. Like I said, I'm not terribly bright.
-
"But Ray! Cowboys!" (http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=06282002)
I wasn't immediately hooked, but it didn't take long.
-
The first one I read was a rerun of the French Fry Saga (http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=02042002) (thanks to a Lileks link). I went back to the beginning to get some context. When I got to Bedtime (http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=10102001) I knew things would be good.
-
Mmm, "what the hell people" is my avatar in a very confrontational forum...
That bedtime joke was used in an episode of the excellent "Father Ted" years ago, Graham Lineham (a British comedy writer) is a fan of Achewood and did one of the fan art strips (the "Lyle's Cussing" strip in miniature), so the reference really made me :up: :up:
hmm, I can't find the fan art, where'd it go?
-
"Pat's Hat" (http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=06042002)
-
A friend of mine started posting URLs to random Achewood strips occasionally. The two that got me checking out the strip were the Liquor Cabinet Taste Test (http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=10222001) and A Change of Operating systems. (http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=12052001) I think it was "I typed 'start'. Nothing. Nothing!" that really grabbed me (in the "falling to the ground, drooling helplessly" sense).
I started reading regularly about the time of Teodor's Christmas party.
-
The first one I read was a rerun of the French Fry Saga (http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=02042002) (thanks to a Lileks link). I went back to the beginning to get some context.
Et moi, aussi.
-
I find it heartbreaking that I cannot remember.
-
I had heard about Achewood early on, read the first few strips, and thought it was exceptionally lame.
Then back on the day this strip appeared:
http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=02072003
My dad, of all people, found a link to Achewood somewhere and thought it was funny and sent it to me. I randomly read some other strips in the archives and found a few that were funny enough to warrant going back and reading the whole thing.
Since then I've been reading the strip every day.
-
Damn, not only do I not remember the first one I read, I don't even remember how I got there in the first place. I don't read Lileks.
-
I find it heartbreaking that I cannot remember.
That's a damn shame - the reason I started this thread is because Achewood hit me WHAM straight between the eyes - with the bullet of MIRTH.
-
I randomly read some other strips in the archives and found a few that were funny enough to warrant going back and reading the whole thing.
Since then I've been reading the strip every day.
That's about the time I got into it.
It was around Beef and Ray's roadtrip, possibly during.
Though I do kind of utterly fail to remember properly since I read the entire archive the next coupla days.
-
I'm another can't remember. But I think I got here either through Lileks or Memepool.
-
I discovered achewood through Ken Layne's blog (www.kenlayne.com). He linked to the one where Ray and Beef were prank calling Marmaduke.
-
That's odd I heard about it through drew's writing site, you know, as toothpastefordinner.com was getting started. Shame that guy doesn't write more, but then everyone says that. Kind of a Pat-like angry man.
-
I'm another can't remember. But I think I got here either through Lileks or Memepool.
If it were memepool, you're welcome, you ingrate. :)
-
I think Goats sent me here. I don't remember when, but I did have to give the archives a couple of tries before I "got it".
Woohoo - 100th post!
-
I'm another can't remember. But I think I got here either through Lileks or Memepool.
If it were memepool, you're welcome, you ingrate. :)
What the hell is that supposed to mean?
Were you responsible for posting it on Memepool?
If so, THANK YOU VERY MUCH MR. BOBBY ISOSCELES!!! I'm going to mail you a kitten.
-
I think Goats sent me here. I don't remember when, but I did have to give the archives a couple of tries before I "got it".
Woohoo - 100th post!
Got here from Goats, too; I remember "But Ray! Cowboys!" being the first strip I saw from that link, but there may have been more occasions before or since.
Yay for triple digits!
-
I learned of Achewood at Ted Barlow's blog. He linked to several strips, and I think this one (http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=02142003) hooked me in. But he also suggested that one start from the beginning and read them all in order, which was a very good idea.
-
Heh heh. You said Wood.
-
Heh heh. You said Wood.
I think we should get Jough to set up a script to go through the database and see how many times we've said wood.
I think it prove scary... Considering...
-
I got here through Cat and Girl, which I found through Brunching Shuttlecocks. I remember it was somewhere during Ray and Beef's road trip, because when I showed my girlfriend, they were running out of the gay bar.
-
I think we should get Jough to set up a script to go through the database and see how many times we've said wood.
I think it prove scary... Considering...
No need for a script, just pure SQL, me boy.
Amazingly enough, without the "ache" in front of it we've only used the word "wood" 14 times (not counting my post, and counting slink's quote of August's post).
And nearly half of them were referring to actual wood, not the kind one would "sport."
-
Amazingly enough, without the "ache" in front of it we've only used the word "wood" 14 times (not counting my post, and counting slink's quote of August's post).
And nearly half of them were referring to actual wood, not the kind one would "sport."
My first thought: we have work to do.
Unfortunately, I don't have any good wood-sporting stories, so...
-
Please put Wood stories in a new thread...splitting them is so much work....*swoon*
-
Any references to Martin Landau's Oscar winning performance in that timeless classic film Ed Wood?
Or how about the kind of wood that doesn't float --
Natalie Wood!
(rimshot)
-
Frankly, you are in fine form today, August.
-
Or how about the kind of wood that doesn't float --
(dramatic spaces snipped)
Natalie Wood!
(rimshot)
Clearly this indicates that she doesn't weigh the same as a duck...
(oh, god. I feel 14 again, back when that joke would have been cool.)
-
Aw, that one's just an old Chestnut.
I know you're all rooting for me to make another wood joke, but you're barking up the wrong tree.
-
Sir, if anyone deserves a title in bolded text, it is truly you.
-
A bit late on this thread, but I shall bring us back on topic I s'pose (hah):
I found achewood through Elftor. the first strip I saw was the philippe / emeril eyebrows strip (I caiiin't find it. my eyesight must be going bad. I could've sworn I knew the year. I'll edit this later if I find it) and then from there I read the whole archive and every strip since then each day.
-
I found achewood through Elftor.
Ditto.
A friend was making me read Elftor, and I was looking through the link section for other comics, and tried a couple. Then I came across Achewood, and the text under the link, which has changed (to "A momentary diversion on the road to the grave") just sent me right there.
I note it's also made it to a front page link too.
Haven't read Elftor in months and months though. And, the only other comic I read (well, apart from Penny Arcade but I read that for the column too) - Drew Weing's journal strip, is finished!
He's moving over to story based comics, which should be cool, given how cool Pup, and some of his older ones were.
-
How I found Achewood is a long and sweet love story actually, but to avoid being sappy I'll tell you that my boyfriend-to-be and I were working for the same horrible company together and the only thing that kept us sane was reading "The Parking Lot is Full" comics online, until they were sued by Disney, and ended the strip. We then set out to find a suitable replacement - hence he introduced me to Achewood.
I have a specific memory of the comercial for knives one being one of the first I read.
-
The strip that comes to mind for me (although I don't know if this was the first one I saw or not) was Ray and RB selling software that tells you when you should buy eggs and milk.
-
Any references to Martin Landau's Oscar winning performance in that timeless classic film Ed Wood?
PULL THE STRINGK! PULL THE STRINGK!
-
When I first saw Achewood I thought it was so dumb. I remember my brother showing me the Antiques Roadshow one, and he was cracking up and I was was all sitting there thinking how dumb my brother was. So after months of him bugging me to read it, I finally caved in and started at the beginning and read through the archives.
Dang it sounds like I was forced to read it. Actually I was hooked right away when I started at the beginning. The very first strip still makes me laugh.
Memories Sweet.
-
I remember my brother showing me the Antiques Roadshow one, and he was cracking up and I was was all sitting there thinking how dumb my brother was.
I love that one.
It was the first one I introduced to my mom, since every Sunday at home, when eating, they would put Antiques Roadshow on. I would just sit there making bitter, snide comments about it, since it is one of the most annoying things ever. Well, generally anything with like, real people on TV is.
So I greatly appreciated that strip.
-
Lucky man. Antiques Roadshow has been on telly here every Sunday since like 30 years ago or something.
-
Lucky man. Antiques Roadshow has been on telly here every Sunday since like 30 years ago or something.
Indeed, I live in the UK too.
My old profile name thingy would have told you that, but it got ditched.
Ah well.
-
this wardrobe belonging to Prince is wee... almost TOO WEE.
-
How I found Achewood is a long and sweet love story actually, but to avoid being sappy I'll tell you that my boyfriend-to-be and I were working for the same horrible company together and the only thing that kept us sane was reading "The Parking Lot is Full" comics online, until they were sued by Disney, and ended the strip. We then set out to find a suitable replacement - hence he introduced me to Achewood.
I have a specific memory of the comercial for knives one being one of the first I read.
Huh, so that's what killed PLIF? I always assumed that they just got bored and stopped. God only knows that happens to enough webcomics anyway.
Anyway, semi-romantic conversion experiences are always good. I think I ended up sitting the SO down at my computer and marathonning it for him until he Saw The Light[tm]. ... wow, it sounds sort of like a religious cult, doesn't it?
-
I'm another can't remember. But I think I got here either through Lileks or Memepool.
If it were memepool, you're welcome, you ingrate. :)
What the hell is that supposed to mean?
Were you responsible for posting it on Memepool?
If so, THANK YOU VERY MUCH MR. BOBBY ISOSCELES!!! I'm going to mail you a kitten.
http://www.memepool.com/Author/isosceles ... Friday, March 24, 2003 (in re: chicken sexing) ... and yes, I could use a kitten.
-
Sorry Bobby, I been Woodin' it since early '02. But props on spreading Achewood to the masses through one of my favorite sites.
I got a perfect kitten for you if you want to come get him. Seriously.