The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => History => Topic started by: miles on June 25, 2009, 11:08:58 pm

Title: The King has left the building
Post by: miles on June 25, 2009, 11:08:58 pm
Michael Jackson suffered a fatal heart attack today. I have a question unrelated to the news, though. Is 'dies' in the title of this article (http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/world/us_and_americas/article6579622.ece) in scare quotes or is it a direct quotation or is it some other kind of usage?

Edit: Oh sure they remove the quotation marks after I post it, but I have a screen shot. Must have just been a mistake?
Title: Re: The King has left the building
Post by: CortJstr on June 25, 2009, 11:13:21 pm
The quotes could have been because at first only TMZ was reporting it. CNN &c were still saying he was in a coma. They probably removed the quotes once legit news sources were confirming the death.
Title: Re: The King has left the building
Post by: miles on June 25, 2009, 11:15:36 pm
That seems reasonable.
Title: Re: The King has left the building
Post by: jaydub on June 26, 2009, 12:07:37 am
Ok, I did not see this coming.  Somehow I thought he would be around a long time.  You'd think all that dancing would have given him a stronger ticker.

Still - I can't weep for an unrepentant pedophile.
Title: Re: The King has left the building
Post by: Doc on June 26, 2009, 01:40:45 am
I thought he was the Prince of Pop? Did he get an upgrade? I loved the shit out of Michael Jackson when I was 8 (and I guess he would have loved... no, too easy). I guess the question is whether you can appreciate an artist's work independent of their own morality? Yes (I can).

That said beyond the general 'it's not good when anyone dies' sort of thing it's not like he'd released anything recently so I have  a hard time getting torn up over it.
What do you think the most popular newspaper cartoon gag will be? I imagine something that conflates plastic surgery and embalming.
Title: Re: The King has left the building
Post by: miles on June 26, 2009, 01:52:34 am
I thought he was the Prince of Pop? Did he get an upgrade?

I had thought he proclaimed himself to be the King of Pop, but anyway I suppose death grants you that kind of upgrade.
Title: Re: The King has left the building
Post by: CortJstr on June 26, 2009, 02:07:14 am
I had thought he proclaimed himself to be the King of Pop, but anyway I suppose death grants you that kind of upgrade.

I recall that somebody very famous gave him that name. I want to say Elizabeth Taylor.
Title: Re: The King has left the building
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on June 26, 2009, 07:17:42 pm
15:16 <@isosceles> i have an idea
15:16 <@isosceles> someone needs to take video footage of the basij beating up
                   iranian protestors
15:16 <@isosceles> and set it to "Beat it"
Title: Re: The King has left the building
Post by: greenkoolayd on June 27, 2009, 10:10:15 pm
being the king of pop is like being the queen of england(nowadays).  you dont really do much when youre alive, but when you die, everyone kisses your ass.
Title: Re: The King has left the building
Post by: Mr Trout on June 28, 2009, 04:18:10 am
This really should be a publicity stunt where he comes back as a zombie for a really amazing thriller tour.
Title: Re: The King has left the building
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on June 28, 2009, 01:13:02 pm
being the king of pop is like being the queen of england(nowadays).  you dont really do much when youre alive, but when you die, everyone kisses your ass.

Thank you for giving me the wonderful image of Queen Elizabeth grabbing her crotch, screaming, and moonwalking in the palace garden while terrified corgis look on.
Title: Re: The King has left the building
Post by: Doc on June 28, 2009, 01:14:05 pm
Thank you for giving me the wonderful image of Queen Elizabeth grabbing her crotch, screaming, and moonwalking in the palace garden while terrified corgis look on perform choreographed back up dancing.
Title: Re: The King has left the building
Post by: CortJstr on June 28, 2009, 03:44:39 pm
This really should be a publicity stunt where he comes back as a zombie for a really amazing thriller tour.

Enjoy your can, sir.
Title: Re: The King has left the building
Post by: jaydub on June 28, 2009, 08:34:07 pm
Thank you for giving me the wonderful image of Queen Elizabeth grabbing her crotch, screaming, and moonwalking in the palace garden while terrified corgis look on.
It is rather wonderful, isn't it.