The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board
Trivial Pursuits => History => Topic started by: Arachno-capitalist on June 28, 2009, 04:48:30 pm
-
Billy Mays is dead. http://www.usatoday.com/life/television/news/2009-06-28-mays_N.htm (http://www.usatoday.com/life/television/news/2009-06-28-mays_N.htm)
I just watched his Pitchman show like half an hour ago. Weird.
-
Yeah, I heard that on the radio. Honestly my first thought was "I wonder what Discovery will do about Pitchmen"
-
Yeah, I heard that on the radio. Honestly my first thought was "I wonder what Discovery will do about Pitchmen"
Have the other guy sell caskets?
-
Frankly, I have no idea why Chef Tony wasn't involved in "Pitchmen" to begin with.
That guy was always the most effective, for my money. Mays certainly seemed like a nice enough guy, though, and it's too bad the guy went young.
Still.
I certainly hope that it turns out that Billy Mays is the second coming of Christ and he'll be back in three days, if only because if the Tribulation is meant to occur in 21st Century America, there would be no better phrase to open it with other than:
"But wait, there's more!"
-
Speaking of dead folks... for sports fans, how fucked up is this Steve McNair thing? Everyone says what a good guy he was, and yet it looks like he was shot by his mistress.
-
I hadn't heard about the McNair guy. I'm too busy mourning the loss of Mrs. Slocombe.
-
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4307274
McNair: former NFL QB, just retired a year or two ago. Found dead, shot four times, in a Nashville condo, rented by him but occupied by a 20-year-old woman, a waitress he met at Dave & Busters, and who he'd apparently been seeing (she was also driving a Cadillac Escalade owned by McNair). Her body was also on the scene, with a single gunshot wound to the head, so it sure looks like she blasted him and then offed herself (no official police ruling on that yet though). McNair's wife of 12 years: previously unaware of the affair.
-
This is the difficulty with a celebrity death...
The instinct is, especially with a famous person with no particular scandals in their past, to go straight to beatification the moment the deceased is cold.
This both keeps the fans of the deceased watching AND avoids any sorts of nasty lawsuits because, at this point, mass-market journalism has become a coward's game.
However.
When within a coupla hours, it turns out that... no... his house wasn't broken into by a thief, giving idiots like Plaxico Burress an excuse for being sloppy and irresponsible with his weapons as the talking heads were trying to do for about half a day... no... his mistress who couldn't even legally drink violently murdered him and then took her own life. Yeah.
And all the rating-mongering and lawsuit-avoiding makes them all look like a bunch of fuck*ng fools.
Which, generally, they are.
Yeah.
-
Statistically speaking, its unusual for a woman to shoot herself as a suicide.
Just sayin'
-
Personally I like to celebrate the exceptional.
-
Statistically speaking, its unusual for a woman to shoot herself as a suicide.
Looks like she went out and got the gun though. (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4309196)