The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Achewood => Achewood => Topic started by: littlefallsmets on June 29, 2009, 07:25:32 am

Title: June 28th, 2009 - "the injuries of experience and failure"
Post by: littlefallsmets on June 29, 2009, 07:25:32 am
http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=06282009 (http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=06282009)

The Bear out-depressed The Talking Cat.

Because Old trumps Anxiety Disorder.

That's totally important to understand.


Title: Re: June 28th, 2009 - "the injuries of experience and failure"
Post by: Ben-San on June 29, 2009, 08:07:55 am
Philippe is first alarmed, then delighted, by the Moonwalk.
Title: Re: June 28th, 2009 - "the injuries of experience and failure"
Post by: dejavroom on June 29, 2009, 11:43:19 am
The retarded otter masters instantly a move I could never figure out.
Title: Re: June 28th, 2009 - "the injuries of experience and failure"
Post by: CortJstr on June 29, 2009, 12:59:51 pm
Wow I didn't even notice Philippe moonwalking in the background.
Title: Re: June 28th, 2009 - "the injuries of experience and failure"
Post by: wombat on June 29, 2009, 01:13:50 pm
Wow, the bear is right. That is exactly it.
Title: Re: June 28th, 2009 - "the injuries of experience and failure"
Post by: wombat on June 29, 2009, 01:23:45 pm
I just noticed that Ray's eloquent thoughts on the subject in the Assetbar are posted for free.
http://s.assetbar.com/one_asset?b=S~cfd4f5a32442ff25864a8357965235a41&a=S~607 (http://s.assetbar.com/one_asset?b=S~cfd4f5a32442ff25864a8357965235a41&a=S~607)
Title: Re: June 28th, 2009 - "the injuries of experience and failure"
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on June 29, 2009, 03:06:53 pm
You will never feel joy that is unchecked by the injuries of experience and failure.
Title: Re: June 28th, 2009 - "the injuries of experience and failure"
Post by: Bimmicus on June 29, 2009, 05:02:14 pm
He wasn't my god damned Elvis.

What's with this mawkish bullshit.
Title: Re: June 28th, 2009 - "the injuries of experience and failure"
Post by: KeithHernandez on June 29, 2009, 05:32:12 pm
He wasn't my Elvis either, but Elvis sure as fuck ain't my Elvis neither.
Title: Re: June 28th, 2009 - "the injuries of experience and failure"
Post by: wombat on June 29, 2009, 06:15:49 pm
He wasn't my Elvis either, but Elvis sure as fuck ain't my Elvis neither.

But that makes him your Elvis exactly.
Title: Re: June 28th, 2009 - "the injuries of experience and failure"
Post by: Dangermoose on June 29, 2009, 06:48:24 pm
You don't get to choose your Elvis.  Your Elvis is there, like the sun.
Title: Re: June 28th, 2009 - "the injuries of experience and failure"
Post by: Cioran on June 29, 2009, 08:00:57 pm
The bear's point is that you do have an Elvis, somewhere, unless you have confronted the reality of your own impending death without flinching and without becoming obsessed, reactive, irrational, or suggestible.
Title: Re: June 28th, 2009 - "the injuries of experience and failure"
Post by: robot_god on June 29, 2009, 08:29:05 pm
Does this mean the New Elvis is Miley Cirus?
Title: Re: June 28th, 2009 - "the injuries of experience and failure"
Post by: wombat on June 29, 2009, 08:33:22 pm
NO.
Title: Re: June 28th, 2009 - "the injuries of experience and failure"
Post by: Cioran on June 29, 2009, 08:45:00 pm
This strip demonstrates an element of Achewood that sets it neck and pecs above the pack: Onstad does not regard death as a joke. Funny, yes, but not a joke. Where else do you find that in American culture?
Title: Re: June 28th, 2009 - "the injuries of experience and failure"
Post by: littlefallsmets on June 29, 2009, 09:07:07 pm
Ya'll KNOW who I'm nominating for the Elvis of rural and suburban Caucasian males whose formative years were the late 80s and early 90s.

The more and more ridiculous costumes. The sporadic touring. The way that weight gain has betrayed a dude. The vastly diminished record output.

You know what a dude means.
Title: Re: June 28th, 2009 - "the injuries of experience and failure"
Post by: jaydub on June 29, 2009, 10:00:20 pm
The bear's point is that you do have an Elvis, somewhere, unless you have confronted the reality of your own impending death without flinching and without becoming obsessed, reactive, irrational, or suggestible.
I disagree.  You have an Elvis whether you've accepted it or not.  You can feel ambiguous about it, as I am about being called a "GenX'er" - but there's nothing you can do about it.  You are immersed in your time, and its signposts and milestones.

Unless you're the Buddha or something.  All released from the cycle of rebirth and shit.
Title: Re: June 28th, 2009 - "the injuries of experience and failure"
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on June 29, 2009, 10:28:23 pm
How does one identify their personal Elvis? Im missing something here.
Title: Re: June 28th, 2009 - "the injuries of experience and failure"
Post by: wombat on June 29, 2009, 10:34:56 pm
That is exactly the point. Elvis is not something personal. No more than you can choose your generation.
Title: Re: June 28th, 2009 - "the injuries of experience and failure"
Post by: Dangermoose on June 30, 2009, 12:42:51 am
In Soviet Russia, Elvis choose you?
Title: Re: June 28th, 2009 - "the injuries of experience and failure"
Post by: Cioran on June 30, 2009, 01:05:05 am
I disagree.  You have an Elvis whether you've accepted it or not.  You can feel ambiguous about it, as I am about being called a "GenX'er" - but there's nothing you can do about it.  You are immersed in your time, and its signposts and milestones.

Unless you're the Buddha or something.  All released from the cycle of rebirth and shit.

I'll buy that. You're describing Elvis as generational marker, as distinct from Elvis as death-blotter-outer, which is what I was more getting at above.

We might even rate a person's immersion in their time on a scale marked in "elvises" ("elvi"?).
Title: Re: June 28th, 2009 - "the injuries of experience and failure"
Post by: oball on June 30, 2009, 03:12:10 am
The retarded otter masters instantly a move I could never figure out.

The moonwalk is simple.  You just need to follow the instructions (http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y60/oball/moonwalk.png).
Title: Re: June 28th, 2009 - "the injuries of experience and failure"
Post by: jaydub on June 30, 2009, 03:20:43 am
We might even rate a person's immersion in their time on a scale marked in "elvises" ("elvi"?).
Modeling on pelvis, I would assert "Elves", pronounced 'El-veez
Title: Re: June 28th, 2009 - "the injuries of experience and failure"
Post by: miles on June 30, 2009, 04:50:20 am
Ya'll KNOW who I'm nominating for the Elvis of rural and suburban Caucasian males whose formative years were the late 80s and early 90s.

The more and more ridiculous costumes. The sporadic touring. The way that weight gain has betrayed a dude. The vastly diminished record output.

Meatloaf?
Title: Re: June 28th, 2009 - "the injuries of experience and failure"
Post by: lprkn on June 30, 2009, 05:47:10 am
Billy Corgan!
Title: Re: June 28th, 2009 - "the injuries of experience and failure"
Post by: Doc on June 30, 2009, 05:58:30 am
Yeah, you get to choose to love people like the Stones and the Axl Rose and  the Cure and write their names on driftwood but your generation's Elvis is something that just happens to everyone whether they like it or not and you don't get a say about that because they're your Elvis.

I have the sneaking suspicion that my generation's Elvis might have been Britney Spears and I'm not exactly happy about that. It's hard to pinpoint though, pop stars seem top have a much higher turn over than they used to.
Title: Re: June 28th, 2009 - "the injuries of experience and failure"
Post by: KeithHernandez on June 30, 2009, 07:28:18 am
I was talking about this to a friend the other day, the basic premise is that we can no longer have elvi because people get their information from highly unique sources.  Except for it wasn't about elvi at all.
Title: Re: June 28th, 2009 - "the injuries of experience and failure"
Post by: Cioran on June 30, 2009, 07:40:26 am
Subelvi.
Title: Re: June 28th, 2009 - "the injuries of experience and failure"
Post by: Doc on June 30, 2009, 07:53:22 am
Yeah, I've heard something along those lines. Douglas Adams wrote an essay once where he postulated that music isn't as big a thing these days as when he was a kid because that kind of creative energy has gone into other fields, he nominated IT, specifically communication stuff. Maybe Bill Gates is the Elvis of my generation?
Title: Re: June 28th, 2009 - "the injuries of experience and failure"
Post by: robot_god on June 30, 2009, 08:02:58 am
Wow.  Until now... you know... I've kind of thought of music as like... the opposite of information technology.
Title: Re: June 28th, 2009 - "the injuries of experience and failure"
Post by: Toaster on June 30, 2009, 09:19:58 am
I was actually going to say the same thing as Keith, but I didn't because I was afraid the discussion would tilt somewhere unwieldy.
Title: Re: June 28th, 2009 - "the injuries of experience and failure"
Post by: wombat on June 30, 2009, 12:22:39 pm
I was talking about this to a friend the other day, the basic premise is that we can no longer have elvi because people get their information from highly unique sources.  Except for it wasn't about elvi at all.

This seems wrong to me. Didn't everyone know Michael Jackson had died in like five minutes? Whether they heard it on Twitter or the radio or whatever. There may be more information sources now than when there were only three tv channels. But a lot of the time, they're all saying the same thing.
Title: Re: June 28th, 2009 - "the injuries of experience and failure"
Post by: Dangermoose on June 30, 2009, 06:09:52 pm
This seems wrong to me. Didn't everyone know Michael Jackson had died in like five minutes? Whether they heard it on Twitter or the radio or whatever. There may be more information sources now than when there were only three tv channels. But a lot of the time, they're all saying the same thing.

Well I guess, yeah, we all heard about it.  But that's not the same as being impacted by it.

I think the point is about fragmentation of culture.  In the days of the Elvi, records were churned out by hit-machine record labels and everybody tuned in to Ed Sullivan or whatever.  Now everybody's found their niche and rarely checks out another niche.  The likelihood that we've all heard the same song has gone down.  Michael Jackson was arguably the last Elvis we'll have.  Can you imagine anyone achieving the ubiquity needed to sell 25 million records (or downloads or whatever) now?
Title: Re: June 28th, 2009 - "the injuries of experience and failure"
Post by: wombat on June 30, 2009, 06:14:36 pm
Didn't like 25 million people watch the video of that homely small-town woman in England who won the singing contest? Seems to me there is just as much ubiquity these days as there ever was. The difference is that she didn't make any money off it.
Title: Re: June 28th, 2009 - "the injuries of experience and failure"
Post by: Dangermoose on June 30, 2009, 06:55:55 pm
I don't think viewership is 1:1 with album sales though. 

I've never heard that woman sing.  But I remember Billy Jean being unavoidable.
Title: Re: June 28th, 2009 - "the injuries of experience and failure"
Post by: KeithHernandez on June 30, 2009, 08:06:32 pm
I would say somewhere around 98% of Americans above 25-30 have heard Jackson, that isn't true of the other woman and doesn't really help your case.  First, she isn't very good, so, in this new era, people are used to shit.  Second, there is like a redemption story built right in.  Third, the same amount of people watched on of her 5 minute clips on you tube as spent 15- 20 dollars on Thriller?  That isn't really that good.  Fourth, the old methods of propping her up were used, and I only saw headlines on cnn.com.  In the old days, anywhere I got my news from probably would have been promoting her and I would have been at least heavily exposed to it.  Now, I don't have to give a shit at all, barely even have to avoid it.  Now, if someone like Michael Jackson comes around again, I will just think it is New Kids on the Block X however many shit pop bands have been around.  I won't give it the chance because I already have 100 days worth of music in iTunes instead of maybe 100 records.
Title: Re: June 28th, 2009 - "the injuries of experience and failure"
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on June 30, 2009, 08:10:24 pm
I feel like my generation knows about Michael Jackson because we were periodically inundated with news about him fondling little boys and giving them "Jesus Juice". The fact that he at one time made music some people once liked was kind of an after-thought.
Title: Re: June 28th, 2009 - "the injuries of experience and failure"
Post by: Ruta Bagas on June 30, 2009, 08:25:45 pm
Didn't like 25 million people watch the video of that homely small-town woman in England who won the singing contest? Seems to me there is just as much ubiquity these days as there ever was. The difference is that she didn't make any money off it.

Scotland.

It doesn't really bother me but the Scottish wouldn't be too pleased.

(She didn't win, either.)
Title: Re: June 28th, 2009 - "the injuries of experience and failure"
Post by: wombat on June 30, 2009, 08:29:32 pm
You know how Americans are, you foreigners are all the same to us.
Title: Re: June 28th, 2009 - "the injuries of experience and failure"
Post by: Dangermoose on June 30, 2009, 11:50:41 pm
So take a look at this. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_albums_in_the_United_States)

Once you toss the double albums, which get double counted, the only album to sell more than 20 million copies in the US released after "Thriller" was a Shania Twain album in 1997.

And while Beat It, Billy Jean, and all the rest of Thriller's songs were unavoidable in the US from 1982-...88(?), I'm willing to bet I'm not the only one here for whom the apparent tidal wave of Shania Twain was almost completely unnoticeable.  I think maybe I heard a bit of one song that ripped off a Queen song.  That's it.  I didn't need to listen.

Same goes for worldwide sales (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_albums_worldwide).  Since Thriller, who has come close?  No one.

And if you point out that this is because nobody even buys albums anymore, I'd say that just adds to the fragmentation.  With things like iTunes, fans of the same artist can't even get on the same page about an album.  Everybody can just buy the singles they like.

That's why we'll never have another Elvis after Michael Jackson.

Dammit, Onstad, why you cause me to think so hard about this.
Title: Re: June 28th, 2009 - "the injuries of experience and failure"
Post by: greenkoolayd on July 01, 2009, 01:28:46 am
This strip demonstrates an element of Achewood that sets it neck and pecs above the pack: Onstad does not regard death as a joke. Funny, yes, but not a joke. Where else do you find that in American culture?

my chemical romance lyrics