The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Achewood => Achewood => Topic started by: pmcd9 on August 01, 2003, 05:20:42 am

Title: Merchandise Sales
Post by: pmcd9 on August 01, 2003, 05:20:42 am
I wonder if Onstad has considered the fact that his message board really drives merchandise sales.  I predict a marked decrease in merchandise sales, but we will have no way of ever knowing this to be fact.  If he starts suddenly hawking the shit out of it on his site (like he don't now, right) that would be one clue though.

~Paul
Title: merchandise
Post by: andalucia on August 01, 2003, 05:32:25 am
Well, this does kinda make me feel less motivated to buy stuff, but there is also the fact that I'm canadian and it is so goddamn expensive to buy stuff in this manner, i.e. the internet.
Title: Merchandise Sales
Post by: starlight on August 01, 2003, 05:41:05 am
I'll probably still buy if it's a good item ..seriously I buy anything if it's good

It may be bad for Onstad that he no longer has the forum to run it past everyone before making a new design though
Title: Merchandise Sales
Post by: jough on August 01, 2003, 05:43:32 am
He'll probably lurk here.  Or sign on as a phantom user.  

Heck, he could be ANY ONE OF US.
Title: Merchandise Sales
Post by: yahnai on August 01, 2003, 06:18:05 am
This is annoying:  I've ordered a t-shirt of Ray getting his sugar balls on and some buttons at the beginning of june.  It's the end of July now.  I wrote, and he said I'd be getting them -- what, last week?  Damnit.
Title: Stock
Post by: jay-ell on August 01, 2003, 02:12:03 pm
I bet not having a message board any more will free him up to create some new designs.  For me, it's the variety of different shirts (all of which are absolutely brilliant) that causes me to reflexively reach into my back pocket.  Between my husband and I, we own 6 different designs.
Title: Re: Stock
Post by: Limmo on August 01, 2003, 09:11:09 pm
Quote from: "jldunston"
I bet not having a message board any more will free him up to create some new designs.  


     I'm still hoping for a Nightlife Mingus "the sign will be that life is awesome" design, myself.
Title: Re: Stock
Post by: richter on August 01, 2003, 09:37:49 pm
Quote from: "Limmo"
I'm still hoping for a Nightlife Mingus "the sign will be that life is awesome" design, myself.


We can only hope. I get compliments every time I wear my "Everybody dance" shirt.   :D
Title: Merchandise Sales
Post by: slink on August 01, 2003, 09:42:23 pm
Yea, I want a 'life is awesome' tee. That and I must get round to the 'ass in your #####' tee too. Damn lack of money!
Title: Merchandise Sales
Post by: AugustWest on August 02, 2003, 03:02:35 am
Do you think a Nice Pete tee would be too creepy?  Or how about the chicken with the wee-wee?
Title: Merchandise Sales
Post by: slink on August 02, 2003, 03:26:13 am
Quote from: "AugustWest"
Do you think a Nice Pete tee would be too creepy?  Or how about the chicken with the wee-wee?


That would be ding-dong  :wink:
Title: Merchandise Sales
Post by: Choop on August 02, 2003, 03:17:35 pm
I like supporting the store, but I had such a rueful experience with the only purchase I've made (yes, during the ramp-up to int'l achewood day), as well as been mightily frustrated by the O when trying to discuss the store in public, that I can't really see myself getting any more achewood merch until I've at least gotten some h*r (http://www.homestarrunner.com/) merch, at least a couple more dining room chairs, some prints that need framing framed, a new pair of casual slacks, and a fryer of some sort for my kitchen.

I know he needs the money, but I'm in no way settled and prepared to dole out $25 for each shirt, plus books, stickers, and buttons, until the rest of my shit's taken care of.

What about MY needs?
Title: Merchandise Sales
Post by: CortJstr on August 02, 2003, 07:33:54 pm
And we about due for book 3? 1 covered the beginning through 6/02, then 2 was 6/02–12/02 and here it is August.
Title: Merchandise Sales
Post by: V-Adore on August 02, 2003, 11:14:30 pm
I'm still holding out for the Sanryobuki Liver shirt, but I figure there's not really much hope at this point.

On a slightly different, hopefully on-topic merchandise note, has anyone else there ever sort of wanted an Achewood URL on t-shirts and such? On one hand, I appreciate the purity of design, but on the other, it'd be nice to be able to spread the news without having to enter into awkward conversations ("no, I am not the 'special boy.' That's the boy on the t-shirt. And he's an otter") and slip people URLs in the middle.
Title: Merchandise Sales
Post by: Nabubrush on August 03, 2003, 08:13:16 pm
I ordered "it is impossible to have a good day" because I just don't like most of his shirt designs. That's neither here or there. When I ordered the stickers, they didn't come for a few weeks and I wrote to him and asked what was up. Of course, the stickers showed up really soon after that, and then like a week later, two more sets of stickers showed up. I don't kick about his merchandising.

Also, the thread got locked but I noticed that it now says Links: (couldn't find any)
Title: Merchandise Sales
Post by: AugustWest on August 04, 2003, 01:32:35 am
Quote from: "slink"
Quote from: "AugustWest"
Do you think a Nice Pete tee would be too creepy?  Or how about the chicken with the wee-wee?


That would be ding-dong  :wink:


Hey, Onstad has his euphemisms and I have mine.  D*ng D*ng was just a little too blue for my tastes.
Title: Merchandise Sales
Post by: fuddes on August 04, 2003, 02:45:12 am
Quote from: "V-Adore"
has anyone else there ever sort of wanted an Achewood URL on t-shirts and such?


Oooh, I hate URL's on shirts.  Not as much as shirts with stuff on the back, but close.  Anyway, I think Onstad knows that if he doesn't include URL's, his site will get better promotion.  His shirts and the comic characters are very odd, and people can't help but ask what it is.  So, of course, as superfans we will go off at length about how great the site is, which is the best promotion of all.
Title: Merchandise Sales
Post by: V-Adore on August 04, 2003, 02:55:37 am
Quote from: "fuddes"
Anyway, I think Onstad knows that if he doesn't include URL's, his site will get better promotion.  His shirts and the comic characters are very odd, and people can't help but ask what it is.  So, of course, as superfans we will go off at length about how great the site is, which is the best promotion of all.

See, I suspect I'm in the minority here, but I almost never get asked about my shirts. I've gotten a "nice shirt!" once or twice, but I've gotten perhaps two serious "hey, what's up with your shirt?"s, and one was from my mother. Maybe I just have too high a threshold of what constitutes interest reasonable enough to start preaching the merits of the 'wood; once again, this is probably a situation I could solve with just a little less shame.

Anyway, I entirely agree with you in that the lack of URL makes for a much nicer, snazzier-looking shirt design. I was just thinking about conversion of the unbelievers -- er, nonfans...
Title: Merchandise Sales
Post by: CortJstr on August 04, 2003, 12:37:08 pm
I spent an entire party with people calling me Todd because of my shirt (I was meeting 70% of the people for the first time).

I liked the old Achewood logo shirt which included the URL in a subtle manner. Plus it had the "minor diversion" line which I've always been fond of.
Title: Merchandise Sales
Post by: Limmo on October 07, 2003, 07:33:36 pm
Alright, now that Onstad's killing the Touch-Me-Not and Girls Come From Heaven shirts - and while he's at it, why not delete King of the Make-Outs and Ass in Your #####?  Did anyone actually buy either of these? - it's time to have a pointless discussion about what the next shirt designs should be in the vain hope he'll actually read this and take it to heart.

Pause for breath.  OK.

Other than the obvious Sanyrobuki and Nightlife Mingus shirts, what other designs would you support with your hard-earned/ill-gotten $?

For the moment, I can only think of three:

A Little Nephew shirt

Beef and Ray peeling out in the '65 Ford Galaxie - Stand on it, Agnes!

A Prime Time Records shirt, perhaps with some of the label's artists on the back.

What else?
Title: Merchandise Sales
Post by: jay-ell on October 07, 2003, 08:06:17 pm
I bought a king of the makeouts shirt.  I thought it was neat.  

I think the genius of Onstad's t-shirt designs is that they're not just reproductions of strips, but truly unique and independent of the character development.  That said, I think some variation on a Nice Pat shirt would be extremely awesome.  Also, a "killing is a special thing you do when you want someone to die" shirt would be wicked bad, but nobody would ever be able to wear it in public.
Title: Merchandise Sales
Post by: AlohaDawg on October 07, 2003, 08:07:20 pm
The condom box.
The roasted-up ding-dong.

And I think the Ass in Your ##### one is awesome.
Title: Merchandise Sales
Post by: CortJstr on October 07, 2003, 08:14:36 pm
I thought the Vlad shirt was his 2nd best design (Special Boy/Girl being first, doy) I just never got one because I was trying to limit my spending.

I wish I'd gotten that instead of Todd, in retrospect. Ah well.

Some of the proposed designs are neat in theory but there aren't any I would buy.
Title: Merchandise Sales
Post by: jough on October 07, 2003, 08:19:15 pm
I would wear a "Killing is a special thing you do when you want someone to die" shirt as long as it didn't feature a cartoon cat on it.
Title: Merchandise Sales
Post by: V-Adore on October 07, 2003, 08:23:08 pm
The only shirt I would really, desperately want would be the Sanryobuki shirt. But other than that... well, I'd take a "Illegal Ghost Bikes" Scrabble shirt or something involving the "Cutlery, bourbon" strip.

I bought a "King of the Make-Outs" baseball T for my boyfriend, actually.
Title: Merchandise Sales
Post by: CortJstr on October 07, 2003, 08:41:18 pm
Quote from: "V-Adore"
I bought a "King of the Make-Outs" baseball T for my boyfriend, actually.


(cue porn music)

</obligatory smartass comment>
Title: Merchandise Sales
Post by: Limmo on October 07, 2003, 09:10:24 pm
Quote from: "V-Adore"

I bought a "King of the Make-Outs" baseball T for my boyfriend, actually.


Your boyfriend is a lucky man!!

I like the idea of a 2nd anniversary shirt.
Title: Merchandise Sales
Post by: jay-ell on October 07, 2003, 09:24:43 pm
I bought a makeout king shirt for my husband.  He liked it.  My mom didn't get it.  

I like the idea of a scrabble shirt, that is hecka cool.
Title: Merchandise Sales
Post by: jough on October 07, 2003, 09:33:22 pm
While I realise that saying this will bring upon much ridicule and ire from you die-hards, I must confess that I never really understood the "Illegal Ghost Bikes" Scrabble joke.

The dadaist in me enjoyed the reaction at the confluence of the idea of ghost bikes that were in some way under legislature which prevented them from being legal, but I've always suspected there was a joke there I just wasn't getting.

Could someone please explain?  Feel free to do so in the most smart-alecky way possible.
Title: Merchandise Sales
Post by: slink on October 07, 2003, 10:15:06 pm
Sounds like maybe even Onstad didn't know why everyone loved it so much!?
Maybe he just came out with it surrealy one day and they all heckled for a tee of it?
Title: Merchandise Sales
Post by: CortJstr on October 07, 2003, 10:27:37 pm
There were many threads asking what the joke was because nobody got it. Not even the real old school readers. So now the appeal is that it's not actually funny and doesn't make sense.

It's like popular songs that don't really sound good but people like them anyway.
Title: Merchandise Sales
Post by: jough on October 07, 2003, 10:35:22 pm
Okay, good.  Then it's not just me.  I wasn't sure, being that I pretty much don't watch tv or listen to pop music anymore.
Title: Merchandise Sales
Post by: jay-ell on October 07, 2003, 11:05:09 pm
The joke is that there is no joke.
Title: Merchandise Sales
Post by: slink on October 08, 2003, 12:52:08 am
Quote from: "jough"
I wasn't sure, being that I pretty much don't watch tv or listen to pop music anymore.


Certainly not alone not getting it. And not alone on the latter part either. It's just too annoying and frustrating. And soulless!
Title: Merchandise Sales
Post by: V-Adore on October 08, 2003, 02:09:08 am
I confess I like it on a dada level. Plus the phrase "illegal ghost bikes" is extremely funny to me, probably again on the dada level.

Quote from: "jldunston"
I bought a makeout king shirt for my husband. He liked it. My mom didn't get it.

I think this is the universal purpose of Achewood shirts -- to impress significant others and confuse moms. My mother still seems slow to accept the idea that my owning a "Special Boy" T-shirt does not indicate that I'm transsexual or something.
Title: Merchandise Sales
Post by: Limmo on October 18, 2003, 09:51:49 pm
Well, one way or another, we'll find out Monday.
Title: Merchandise Sales
Post by: andalucia on October 19, 2003, 04:14:45 pm
Any bets?
Title: Merchandise Sales
Post by: AugustWest on November 26, 2003, 05:27:45 pm
Hey, Hey! My book came today.

Onstad personalized it with a nifty drawing of Nice Pete, who says "I followed you home, Frank.  I always did like killin' (sic) in Shelby County."

Shelby County being where I live, you see.

So, now I guess I gotta be keeping my eyes open for murderous cats for a while.
Title: Merchandise Sales
Post by: TODCRAProductions on November 28, 2003, 03:41:53 am
Saaaaay, anyone pick up the new shirts (i.e. Sanriobuki, Primetime Records, Rabbit Ambulance), and recieved them?  I don't wanna bother Onstad yet, especially if no one else has got them, but, yeah, just curious.  I know that it takes a while, but I'm just a bit curious.  So, uh, thanks.
Title: Merchandise Sales
Post by: Limmo on December 01, 2003, 05:37:03 pm
I ordered two shirts back in October when they first became available.  No sign of them yet.  

Be patient.  With Onstad, it's like Lou Reed said: first thing you learn is that you always gotta wait.

Hey, post #100.  Yippee.
Title: Merchandise Sales
Post by: TODCRAProductions on December 02, 2003, 04:21:14 am
Yeah, that's what I figured; I'm not worried on Onstad's end, I've just been having incredibly shitty mail service lately (i.e. Not Actually Getting Things) and I was a little worried my Achewood Shirts had fallen victim to the Black Hole Of Things I Pay Money For But Never Actually Receive Because I Guess The Postal Service Decides They Like Them Too Much To Get Rid Of Them.  

Not too long after I posted, I looked at my invoice and saw that it was dated Oct. 31st I think, and that's not actually too bad, length of time-wise anyway.
Title: Merchandise Sales
Post by: TODCRAProductions on December 05, 2003, 04:13:49 pm
Hooray!  A couple of my shirts came today!  And the other one, according to the invoice is shipping soon!
Title: Merchandise Sales
Post by: jough on December 05, 2003, 05:53:06 pm
I had a conversation with Onstad about receiving merchandise and I believe I can assure everyone with absolute sincerity that you have nothing to fear.  Your stuff is on its way.

Nobody's selling their eyes, here, people.  No one's losing anything!

It's all good.
Title: Merchandise Sales
Post by: V-Adore on December 05, 2003, 06:42:19 pm
It's good that nobody sold their eyes, 'cause, y'know, ocular shenanigans.
Title: Merchandise Sales
Post by: wombat on December 05, 2003, 09:32:44 pm
Uh oh - Onstad has managed to work the mind-control world-domination thing on Jough.  This is scary.
Title: Merchandise Sales
Post by: jough on December 05, 2003, 11:17:09 pm
Well, I posted some of my bad experiences with the Achewood customer service in another thread, so I figured I'd lay off the bad-mouthing as long as everyone seems to be getting their stuff.  Fair is fair.  And I got my money back with my credit card purchase protection.  So fuck the rest of ya'll, you know?

By all means let us know if you had a long wait or never received an item.

YOU CAN MAKE A DIFFERENCE.
Title: Merchandise Sales
Post by: Limmo on December 06, 2003, 01:58:19 am
Varsity and Sanryobuki shirts arrived this afternoon.
Title: Merchandise Sales
Post by: CortJstr on December 08, 2003, 06:47:35 pm
Holy shit! I got my Volume III today! I ordered it on Thurs. morning (as in 4 days ago).

There's a stamp on the title page that reads "Achewater Publishing 2003 First Edition"

My drawing is of Molly & Beef holding hands. She's moving in for a kiss and Beef has an expression of such surprise, shock, and fear that I think he may keel over dead. Despite the fact that he's already in heaven.

Rock.
Title: Merchandise Sales
Post by: slink on December 08, 2003, 07:31:34 pm
That is quite a splendid drawing!
Wow.
Look forward to seeing mine and my moms.
For which Chris sent reciept of order yesterday, and said it would be mailed out today.
Ought to be 4-7 days delivery.
Title: Merchandise Sales
Post by: side_show on December 18, 2003, 01:24:52 am
I am so impatient with waiting I'm going insane.  Yesterday I accused my boyfriend of stealing my Bunny Ambulanace T before it got to me and secretly wearing it outside the house.
Title: Merchandise Sales
Post by: V-Adore on December 18, 2003, 06:34:14 am
There are no more Rabbit Ambulance caps to be had. If Onstad doesn't reorder over the holidays, I will be most displeased, most displeased indeed.

(Now, the question comes in: do I get off my ass and actually order my SO his gifts by Quickship? Or do I wait until after the holidays and plead "gross presence of finals" or whatever?)
Title: Merchandise Sales
Post by: side_show on January 03, 2004, 11:40:41 pm
just got an email from the merchandise lady informing me that she accidentally mailed my shirt to the wrong address.  But that when it gets returned she'll send it my way.  Grrr!
Title: Merchandise Sales
Post by: V-Adore on January 04, 2004, 03:26:06 am
Incidentally, is anyone else out there going to be extremely torqued off in Onstad never restocks on caps? I thought a little too long, and poof, no Rabbit Ambulance cap for me. My life is pain.
Title: Merchandise Sales
Post by: CortJstr on January 04, 2004, 03:39:04 am
Quote from: "V-Adore"
Incidentally, is anyone else out there going to be extremely torqued off in Onstad never restocks on caps? I thought a little too long, and poof, no Rabbit Ambulance cap for me. My life is pain.


That sounded almost like haiku. In fact, I'm really bad at them but I'll give it a 2-minute try:

I thought just too long
No Ambulence cap for me
Now my life is pain
Title: Merchandise Sales
Post by: Limmo on January 05, 2004, 04:22:45 am
The image on the Sanryobuki shirt that I have owned for less than a month is already dissolving into an unreadable slurry.  And the Achewood Varsity shirt is not doing too well either.  These are shirts that get worn for a day and then washed every 8-10 days.  

The Todd shirt I bought months and months ago is showing its age, but not as much as the newer pair, and the degradation was much slower.

I think I'm done buying T-shirts.
Title: Merchandise Sales
Post by: andalucia on January 05, 2004, 04:43:55 am
Nooo!  I fear for my Achewood garb.  Lest onlookers begin to question the degree to which I am a Special Boy.
Title: Merchandise Sales
Post by: St_Zartan on January 05, 2004, 02:36:23 pm
Quote from: "Limmo"
The image on the Sanryobuki shirt that I have owned for less than a month is already dissolving into an unreadable slurry.  And the Achewood Varsity shirt is not doing too well either.  These are shirts that get worn for a day and then washed every 8-10 days.  

The Todd shirt I bought months and months ago is showing its age, but not as much as the newer pair, and the degradation was much slower.


You know, it's moments like these that I really appreciate having joined this forum. Because there have been about three separate incidents in which I have been this close to biting Ye Olde Bullette and getting myself that sharp "Prime Time Records" shirt, or the Cookbook, or whatever - and then Out Comes another Merchandise Horror Story. The comments are all the more resonant, not to mention disappointing, seeing as they pretty much come exclusively from such devoted fans.

I've got half a mind to just get some of that inkjet transfer paper and make my own design - but it'd be a pretty sad state of affairs if a DIY lasted longer than a store-bought.
Title: Merchandise Sales
Post by: CortJstr on January 05, 2004, 04:27:46 pm
I've never had any kind of issue with the books, either in delivery time or quality.

The shirts are regular painted shirts. So like all other shirts of that nature they have to be washed inside-out to keep the design nice.