The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => History => Topic started by: pmcd9 on July 07, 2009, 06:35:48 am

Title: Palin Resigns
Post by: pmcd9 on July 07, 2009, 06:35:48 am
I just got around to listening to her resignation speech (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9f9YQMbQMn0).  Holy shit!  What the fuck was that?  Can anyone make any sense of this babbling birdbrain?  Did she actually say we need more children like Trig, her child with downs syndrome?
Title: Re: Palin Resigns
Post by: littlefallsmets on July 07, 2009, 07:00:26 am
I like to believe that she misinterpreted a Hopi prophecy and believes The Rapture is coming the day after her resignation kicks in.

This is my own little special story for it all.

But yeah. That is some prime-cut "Insane Person Taking Her Crazy-Ball and Going Psycho-Home" goodness right there.
Title: Re: Palin Resigns
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on July 07, 2009, 12:29:42 pm
Whatever 4chan-based hacker with an attitude that unearthed the Sanford e-mails probably has dirt on her indiscretions and threatened to make it public unless she resigns.
Title: Re: Palin Resigns
Post by: jaydub on July 07, 2009, 03:57:42 pm
Whatever 4chan-based hacker with an attitude that unearthed the Sanford e-mails probably has dirt on her indiscretions and threatened to make it public unless she resigns.
This makes the most sense of any scenario I've heard.
Title: Re: Palin Resigns
Post by: greenkoolayd on July 07, 2009, 06:18:38 pm
This makes the most sense of any scenario I've heard.

actually, she resigned from the state gub'ment so she can concentrate on running for country gub'ment.
Title: Re: Palin Resigns
Post by: lprkn on July 08, 2009, 01:53:12 am
That is my current interpretation. Although I'm pretty sure that she a young-earth theory's chance of standing up to legitimate scientific inquiry.
Title: Re: Palin Resigns
Post by: Doc on July 08, 2009, 07:56:11 am
But if she was running for super-gubmint wouldn't she finish her term to show how she fulfills her commitments and such? Do her handlers really think the extra few months would make that much difference.
Title: Re: Palin Resigns
Post by: littlefallsmets on July 08, 2009, 08:43:42 am
See... this is probably weird to explain to someone not reared in the madness of the American political structure but...

Inside the theory where she's quitting now as a ploy to run for the president lies the idea that people want a "maverick" and a "political outsider" to be... the head of the political system. Yeah. fuck*ng ridiculous on the face of it but it's A Thing around here.

The demerits of an image of running away from a responsibility at the first hint of real sustained criticism might well, in the eyes of particularly ignorant or wreckless voters, be less than the ADVANTAGES of being seen an outsider and independent of the process. A horribly irresponsible and erratic "outsider" is by many prefered to someone who knows what they're doing and how to do it but doesn't have the distance to pretend to be an ideologue or make wild unreasonable promises or what not. Yeah.

It probably won't work, in her case, because of the mounting evidence that she isn't merely your standard willfully-ignorant narcissist shifting with the winds of public opinion but actually suffers from a psychiatrically-legitimate mood disorder but... it is completely an American tactic.

One of the many advantages of the Parlimentary system of government wherein the chief executive power goes to the most influencial member of the legislative branch is that... you can't really pull the bullshit of pretending to be a political outsider because, you know, by definition you have to be a member in good standing of the legislative branch to get there.

I mean, the whole "ability to have more than two SIDES that can play the centre against itself and fuck everything up" thing is the real kicker on a day-to-day basis but...

Also weeds out really baldfaced attempts at indie-cred like quitting your post so you have more time to fabricate your image as an independent with the constant behind-the-scenes assistance of the most cynical insiders on your "side".

If that's your theory, of course.

I'm still hoping that she thinks Space Jesus is coming and now is the time to look Space busy.
Title: Re: Palin Resigns
Post by: AugustWest on July 08, 2009, 03:07:45 pm
But if she was running for super-gubmint wouldn't she finish her term to show how she fulfills her commitments and such? Do her handlers really think the extra few months would make that much difference.

What you have to understand is that things like "logic" or "intelligence" are negative qualities in the eyes of the people who would consider voting for her.
Title: Re: Palin Resigns
Post by: jaydub on July 08, 2009, 03:54:48 pm
I'm pretty sure "quitter" trumps all else.  Whether her handlers think so or not, she's as done as a deep fried turkey.
Title: Re: Palin Resigns
Post by: miles on July 08, 2009, 10:59:09 pm
Andrew Sullivan has a hard on (http://andrewsullivan.theatlantic.com/the_daily_dish/2009/07/the-odd-lies-of-sarah-palin-a-roundup.html) for her, though obviously not in a sexual way.
Title: Re: Palin Resigns
Post by: Doc on July 09, 2009, 05:45:25 am
I'm pretty sure "quitter" trumps all else.  Whether her handlers think so or not, she's as done as a deep fried turkey.

Yeah this was what I was thinking mainly. I'm given to understand that Americans can love anyone but a loser.
I guess she might be playing the 'going out among the people' sort of thing, but it's what, three and a half years until your next election? The potential damage leaving her post could do vs another couple of months of mavrickin' that people will forget about a year before they vote doesn't add up. There's got to be something else going on here. On the other hand the something awful apology letter was one of the funniest things I've read on their site in ages.
Title: Re: Palin Resigns
Post by: Drygioni on July 27, 2009, 01:31:55 am
Good lord. All mega depressing stuff, especially LFM's point about the whole 'maverick' angle
Title: Re: Palin Resigns
Post by: theinevitable on July 27, 2009, 01:56:51 am
Maybe I should drop out of college, proving myself worthy of getting into a good graduate school.
Title: Re: Palin Resigns
Post by: JorgeFabregas on July 27, 2009, 03:15:00 pm
Quote
And first, some straight talk for some, just some in the media because another right protected for all of us is freedom of the press, and you all have such important jobs reporting facts and informing the electorate, and exerting power to influence. You represent what could and should be a respected honest profession that could and should be the cornerstone of our democracy. Democracy depends on you, and that is why, that's why our troops are willing to die for you. So, how 'bout in honor of the American soldier, ya quite makin' things up. And don't underestimate the wisdom of the people, and one other thing for the media, our new governor has a very nice family too, so leave his kids alone.
Title: Re: Palin Resigns
Post by: Toaster on July 27, 2009, 06:26:38 pm
Great Caesar's Ghost, is that an actual quote from this person? It's like the turtle in Blade Runner, except this time I don't want to help it.
Title: Re: Palin Resigns
Post by: Doc on July 28, 2009, 12:58:02 am
Yeah. I'm sick and ornery but... damn. Was there some craze for keeping children in plastic bags in the mid 70s america?
Title: Re: Palin Resigns
Post by: CortJstr on July 28, 2009, 01:02:22 am
Yeah. I'm sick and ornery but... damn. Was there some craze for keeping children in plastic bags in the mid 70s america?

Just Roast Beef in a Wonderbread bag, as far as I know.
Title: Re: Palin Resigns
Post by: pmcd9 on July 28, 2009, 03:00:58 am
Roast beef on white bread is a pretty delicious lunch.
Title: Re: Palin Resigns
Post by: AugustWest on July 28, 2009, 03:21:43 am
Roast beef on white bread is a pretty delicious lunch.

Open faced roast beef sandwich on white with a lump of mashed potatoes and brown gravy.

Diner lunch.
Title: Re: Palin Resigns
Post by: Doc on July 28, 2009, 03:39:02 am
I've never understood the concept of an open faced sandwich, nor come across it in real life. Is it not merely a roast dinner with a piece of bread underneath it?
Title: Re: Palin Resigns
Post by: Choop on July 28, 2009, 03:51:35 am
no, it's a sandwich with only one slice of bread. you eat it with a knife and fork. usually there's gravy involved, so you wouldn't pick it up. certain sandwiches can't be done like this (reuben, cuban, dammit rule of 3 there's got to be another that rhymes) because they require two pieces of bread.

roast beef/cheddar/hossradish? check. turkey/provolone? you bet. brat/sauerkraut? damn straight.
Title: Re: Palin Resigns
Post by: Toaster on July 28, 2009, 03:54:13 am
My only reference for open-faced sandwiches is the character of "Open Face" on that old Nickelodeon kids' show, The Adventures of Pete & Pete. He was a bully whose defining characteristic was his fondness for open-faced sandwiches.
Title: Re: Palin Resigns
Post by: theinevitable on July 28, 2009, 04:02:22 am
I ate a Cuban sandwich today. it was delicious.
Title: Re: Palin Resigns
Post by: wombat on July 28, 2009, 12:56:56 pm
I think that 'a sandwich with one piece of bread and gravy' and 'a roast dinner with bread underneath it' are pretty much the same thing. I think once gravy is involved, it's only a sandwich in the sense that if you add the one piece of bread and call it a sandwich you can make an excuse for eating it for lunch.

Also I think that there is no reason you couldn't make an open-faced reuben sandwich. You can make an open-face melted cheese sandwich, so why not an open faced melted cheese and etc sandwich. Not that I think you would you want to or anything, but theoretically.

(Also thank god for topic wandering.)
Title: Re: Palin Resigns
Post by: CortJstr on July 28, 2009, 01:12:18 pm
Open face sandwiches were a dining hall staple when I was at summer camp. We occasionally had them in the high school cafeteria, also.

The best part about open face sandwiches is they usually come with gravy fries. Mmm, gravy fries.
Title: Re: Palin Resigns
Post by: CortJstr on July 28, 2009, 02:33:07 pm
Out here, nobody asks "Ya want gravy on that?" very much if at all. That's why I like traveling, my first experience with Canada, other than a border guard who carefully led us to the right answer that all the wine we had was for "personal consumption" (nice lady), was in a regular old restaurant in Lethbridge where not only did they ask if I wanted gravy on everything but they just brought me a boat to the table. I like places that don't donny-fart around on the gravy front.

Gravy fries are pretty rare around here. I always had to ask in the cafeterias I went to. But in PA they were often a menu item. I guess in some ways I never fully acclimated to the DC cuisine. For example, I've never eaten a half smoke.
Title: Re: Palin Resigns
Post by: CortJstr on July 28, 2009, 04:52:41 pm
A quick google shows that, apparently, I have under different terminology.

Whatta ya got against the tube meats portion of the food pyramid?

Side note, last time flying through Chicago I went for the 'official' chi-dog experience. If the peppers and onions were done right and not a soggy ass mess it might have been OK, just eliminate those thin green peppers that burn all the way through you.

WTF Chicago? Food should not hurt for the entirety of the digestive process.

I like hot italian sausage and brats, I've just never actually eaten a real* half smoke. Chicago dogs I'm not down with. I grew up with hot dog sauce and can't really eat a dog without it.


*ie food cart
Title: Re: Palin Resigns
Post by: wombat on July 28, 2009, 05:18:01 pm
Hot dog sauce?
Title: Re: Palin Resigns
Post by: CortJstr on July 28, 2009, 05:24:25 pm
Hot dog sauce?

Every place has it's own style and recipe but Nick's is probably the most well known: http://nicksconeysauce.com/nicks_sauce/unique_characteristics.htm
Title: Re: Palin Resigns
Post by: pmcd9 on July 28, 2009, 05:29:16 pm
I'm not sure I've ever had a proper chicago dog, but I am definitely down with tomatoes on a hot dog.  So those peppers are hot.  I thought they were those mild salad peppers.

Ok, I looked up sport peppers.  Apparently they are Tabasco peppers which are pretty damn hot.  I have some in my refrigerator now.  Down here in the south we call it pepper sauce and put the sauce on beans and such.
Title: Re: Palin Resigns
Post by: Choop on July 28, 2009, 05:37:12 pm
if your chicago dog ain't spicy as all hell, it ain't a chicago dog. the real trick to it though is the celery salt - everybody outside chicago always forgets it when they try to make a dog chicago style.

my favorite hot dog topping combo: roma tomato wedges, barbecue sauce, brown mustard.
Title: Re: Palin Resigns
Post by: AugustWest on July 28, 2009, 06:23:07 pm
if your chicago dog ain't spicy as all hell, it ain't a chicago dog. the real trick to it though is the celery salt - everybody outside chicago always forgets it when they try to make a dog chicago style.


Agreed.  Celery salt makes that ineffable little difference.
Title: Re: Palin Resigns
Post by: CortJstr on July 28, 2009, 07:00:38 pm
OK, I can dig the food cart aversion. I have had some hella funky food cart experiences my ownself.

Hot dog sauce...looks like chili for people who don't want to make chili. Actually, I'm pretty sure the what the wonderful city of Cincinnati calls chili is actually hot dog sauce. If you know what you're expecting it's pretty good stuff.

The Boy and a friend had a recent experiment in which they wrapped hot dogs in bacon*. They came off pretty delicious, especially after melting some pepper jack in with 'em.

*Easy Bobby, the kid is a rookie.

Agreed. Since moving to VA we've found that the Cincinnati-style chili from Hard Times is the closest approximation to hot dog sauce that we can find locally. Mainly because it has no beans and partly because of the cinnamon etc. For a while every time we went back to PA we'd buy quarts of sauce and freeze it. But most of the places that actually made the sauces have been driven out of business by a combination of chain restaurants and kids who don't want to carry on the family business.
Title: Re: Palin Resigns
Post by: miles on July 28, 2009, 11:42:14 pm
Canada [...] gravy

Poutine! True story, which may be embellished: A few years ago my girlfriend and I went up to Vancouver. My cousin lived in Bellingham at the time so we invited him. He was excited to go and said "we should get some poutine!" I was like, dude my girlfriend's gonna be there.

Quote
I like places that don't donny-fart around on the gravy front.

I like that you said "donny-fart."

As far as hot dogs go, there's a decent place in the area that recently starting serving slaw dogs, which I love. I'm deciding whether to upgrade to the slaw chili dog. I've yet to try the chili there.
Title: Re: Palin Resigns
Post by: wombat on July 29, 2009, 12:10:54 am
It's not every day that the word 'ineffable' is used in a conversation about hot dogs.
Title: Re: Palin Resigns
Post by: AugustWest on July 29, 2009, 01:13:07 am
It's not every day that the word 'ineffable' is used in a conversation about hot dogs.

One does what one can to maintain a wide, varied and surreal lexicon.
Title: Re: Palin Resigns
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on July 29, 2009, 01:28:58 pm
You can get a DC half-smoke at the ballpark, you know.  Stop by the Ben's Chili Bowl stand, get one with chili, mustard, and onions.  Pack extra-strength Tums.  There's a stand at Eastern Market that has good ones, too.
Title: Re: Palin Resigns
Post by: pmcd9 on July 29, 2009, 06:56:30 pm
I'm surprised no one has linked to this (http://www.tonightshowwithconanobrien.com/video/clips/shatner-does-palin-072709/1139665/).

Also, tonight Chicago style hotdogs!
Title: Re: Palin Resigns
Post by: theinevitable on July 29, 2009, 07:46:19 pm
I have eaten a half smoke at bens chili bowl. Yummy.
Title: Re: Palin Resigns
Post by: theinevitable on August 08, 2009, 07:36:34 am
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lZ4nqphP21k&eurl=http://www.slate.com/blogs/blogs/browbeat/archive/2009/08/06/the-best-movie-about-television-that-you-ve-never-seen.aspx&feature=player_embedded

what products will Palin endorse?
Title: Re: Palin Resigns
Post by: pmcd9 on August 08, 2009, 10:53:58 am
Also, tonight Chicago style hotdogs!

Chicago Style Hotdogs (http://www.flickr.com/photos/pmcd9/3771912999/)