The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => Science & Nature => Topic started by: theinevitable on August 07, 2009, 04:40:15 am

Title: "Most"
Post by: theinevitable on August 07, 2009, 04:40:15 am
So, this is maybe a stupid question, but I am trying to write this paper about the word "most," and, HOW THE HELL DO I WRITE A WHOLE PAPER ABOUT THIS WORD.

I am supposed to specifically focus on one usage of the word, so I am going to use it in the sense of "most of the people" or "most of the time."

My question is this, because I feel like my intuition might be off.

Do you feel like "most" means a simple majority? or does it mean a wider margin than that? I mean, is getting 50.5% of the vote getting "most of the vote?"
I feel like sometimes it varies. It seems like with bigger numbers it means more than a simple majority. I don't need some sort of "this is what it "really" means" answer, i just want your intuition... how do you think you use it in everyday life.
Title: Re: "Most"
Post by: littlefallsmets on August 07, 2009, 05:06:17 am
Write the paper about "moist" and claim that you received a typo and I shall owe you a beer.
Title: Re: "Most"
Post by: Victoria Waterfield on August 07, 2009, 05:07:57 am
Just go off on a tangent about five sentences in and use up a good 80 percent or so of the paper discussing the Bob Dylan album Oh Mercy.
Title: Re: "Most"
Post by: theinevitable on August 07, 2009, 05:19:38 am
see, if i could talk about social stuff or anything, I could do this so well.

but it is supposed to be about like, what it means logically. Like, "under what conditions is the sentence "most people ____" true."

Also, the assignment is just to write about a quantifier, it doesn't have to be Most. I just thought most would be a good one.

Coincidentally today, after i picked that topic in desperation, we learned that Most is the one exception to this weird law in semantics.
Title: Re: "Most"
Post by: Choop on August 07, 2009, 05:40:20 am
logics is a branch of philosophy innit

if you can't bullshit your way through a philosophy paper then my name is hefram t. sackle#####

and it ain't
Title: Re: "Most"
Post by: theinevitable on August 07, 2009, 08:58:52 am
I am horrible at philosophy. slightly better at logic.

I think the philosophy at my school must be different than at other people's. or something.
they always tell me that my arguments aren't clear or organized. which is true.
except once when I had a stroke of genius and made an awesome metaphor... that time I did really well. that saved my grade.

but yeah, he basically told us "write me anything, and i will give you a good grade. I don't care."

I just... am not happy with doing that. i feel weird about it. slacking off every day, and never doing any of the reading? sure. turning in a shitty paper? oh no!
Title: Re: "Most"
Post by: AugustWest on August 07, 2009, 01:54:47 pm
(http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_Gr3uCNxPTu4/SZTrVhRTOII/AAAAAAAAB6k/l0_lyXX7MQ0/s400/Donny_Most.jpg)

MOST
Title: Re: "Most"
Post by: jaydub on August 07, 2009, 04:09:00 pm
MOST

That's exactly where my mind went, too - followed shortly by a struggle to remember the name of the guy who played Pottsie.
Title: Re: "Most"
Post by: smick on August 07, 2009, 04:49:11 pm
His name is Anson, and he developed an ointment for hot flashes.

I heard this on an AM radio interview as I bleary eye'd my way across the country.
Title: Re: "Most"
Post by: wombat on August 07, 2009, 05:05:55 pm
Quote
Sometimes I don't know what the fuck y'all are talking about and I'm cool with that.
Title: Re: "Most"
Post by: littlefallsmets on August 07, 2009, 05:13:18 pm
I'll start you off:

"While John Stamos did not have the MOST evidence in the world that he should be considered one of The Beach Boys, he certainly had more than most people do. He certainly has more than I do."

From there it just writes itself.
Title: Re: "Most"
Post by: AugustWest on August 07, 2009, 06:18:38 pm
Wombat, does the name Ralph Malph ring any bells for you?
Title: Re: "Most"
Post by: smick on August 07, 2009, 06:22:08 pm


Donny Most and Anson Williams were often the foils to America's Everyteen Richie Cunningham, on television's Happy Days.

Donny... I don't know what became of him.   Anson, developed the aforementioned ointment while working under the hot lights at his day job of filming and directing television.
Title: Re: "Most"
Post by: wombat on August 07, 2009, 06:27:35 pm
Wombat, does the name Ralph Malph ring any bells for you?

Nope. Sounds like something you're making up.
Title: Re: "Most"
Post by: wombat on August 07, 2009, 06:29:19 pm
PS. Neither did the name "John Hughes" ring any bells.

I swear, I don't go out of my way to be out of touch with popular culture. It just happens.
Title: Re: "Most"
Post by: jaydub on August 07, 2009, 07:41:38 pm
Must be that her short hair keeps PC (Popular Culture or Prince Charming?) from being able to climb that Ivory Tower. ;)
Title: Re: "Most"
Post by: pmcd9 on August 07, 2009, 09:37:16 pm
MOST (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mickie_Most)
Title: Re: "Most"
Post by: side_show on September 12, 2009, 06:12:15 am
Write the paper in the voice of Wayne from Wayne's World.