The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => Wild Card => Topic started by: side_show on November 28, 2003, 01:42:02 pm

Title: Holiday Merchandise
Post by: side_show on November 28, 2003, 01:42:02 pm
1) at this point I see that the new merch isn't up yet, but there is a banner featuring Phillipe as a bee, some type of hat, and something in a bottle... I'm afraid I'll soon be a' spendin'.

2) why is this called holiday merchandise?  We all know that if we ordered something today, we'd probably see it in January or February.
Title: Holiday Merchandise
Post by: V-Adore on November 29, 2003, 02:44:39 am
The idea of Achewood-branded booze makes my heart sing on some level.

I may or may not buy a hat, but I'll almost certainly buy Volume III. No question.
Title: Holiday Merchandise
Post by: V-Adore on November 29, 2003, 03:06:31 am
Store's open!

If I cooked more, I'd definitely buy an apron and some of the Rad Chilies. As it stands, I'll probably shill for a hat.

Biggest disappointment: lack of color options on the bee shirt.
Title: Holiday Merchandise
Post by: CortJstr on November 29, 2003, 07:35:58 am
The book pack is a good deal for new people. I hate hot-sauce but the Rad Chilies is pretty neat.
Title: Holiday Merchandise
Post by: andalucia on November 29, 2003, 03:57:53 pm
I'm not too big a fan of the bee shirt-- it just sorta looks like something one might purchase at a store selling trendy garments to teenage girls... and heaven knows I would rather get underground-indie-comix cred for my garments than the admiration of my loathed fellow teenage girls.

Yeah, I could totally see people from my school complimenting me on this.  Ugh.
Title: Holiday Items
Post by: Gimpson on November 29, 2003, 07:22:15 pm
Double whammy for me...  I got an email today saying that they are sold out of the sticker sets, so I got a refund for my earlier order.  Not only that, I head over to the shop and see that there is now a very cool Rabbit Ambulance hat that I would certainly prefer to the Rabbit Ambulance shirt I have on order.

The deal on all three books looks pretty good, and I don't have any of them yet.  I am all over that cooking set too.  That'll be a sweet grilling apron come spring...

Anybody have a spare "What We Need More Of Is Science" sticker I can buy at a premium for my car?
Title: Holiday Merchandise
Post by: slink on December 07, 2003, 08:14:51 pm
Well, I just ordered to copies of the book sets.
I never got round to getting mine yet, and I thought it would be the perfect present for my mom this christmas. Since she never gets round to reading it online, and this way she can go through them all from the start.
And Chris can put a funky little drawing in it for her too.

Let's see how long it takes :)
Title: Holiday Merchandise
Post by: slink on December 08, 2003, 12:08:52 am
And I have to ask an important question of the books.
I'm fearful... Do they feature the alt texts?
If not I can envisage me having to go through with some post-its and a pen! It's that bad!
Title: Holiday Merchandise
Post by: V-Adore on December 08, 2003, 12:36:20 am
Quote from: "slink"
And I have to ask an important question of the books.
I'm fearful... Do they feature the alt texts?
If not I can envisage me having to go through with some post-its and a pen! It's that bad!

No, sadly. Pens ahoy!
Title: Holiday Merchandise
Post by: St_Zartan on December 08, 2003, 02:45:17 am
Quote from: "V-Adore"
Quote from: "slink"
And I have to ask an important question of the books.
I'm fearful... Do they feature the alt texts?
If not I can envisage me having to go through with some post-its and a pen! It's that bad!

No, sadly. Pens ahoy!


I'd wondered that myself, but I just assumed that it was one of those "if you need to know, you already do" sort of things, and asking would label me as OMG n00bie sux0r etc etc. (Really, I can't maintain that sort of thing for more than two or three words before my hands and spine just flat out revolt) I'd thought to myself that, in some cases, that alt-tags make the strip work / add so much, but I could not for the life of me figure out how they'd be implemented in text.

See the problem is I would get that pad of post-its and faithfully transcribe all the alt-tags during some wicked tequila bender (cf yesterday, for example) but I wouldn't get around to actually putting them into the book, which means I'd wake up with all these bizarre and cryptic little yellow things everywhere without even a shred of context and thirty minutes to get to work and the smell of pickled eggplant and

Why does the TV say "Peel-Out Summer (US, 1981)"?? Was I going to tape it or what and oh holy night can kidneys actually shatter
Title: Holiday Merchandise
Post by: slink on December 08, 2003, 02:17:54 pm
Quote from: "St_Zartan"
but I wouldn't get around to actually putting them into the book, which means I'd wake up with all these bizarre and cryptic little yellow things everywhere without even a shred of context


Yes. I can someone see that happening.
Although I'm actually now looking forward to that.

I figure the post-it writing will give me something to do on these long winter nights, assuming the books arrive while it is still Winter (me being not only in the UK but far from anywhere useful).
Also, I haven't written by hand in about 5 years, so the ability to actually use a post-it might be lacking.
Title: Holiday Merchandise
Post by: CortJstr on December 08, 2003, 03:58:33 pm
Also a few random strips are missing for no apparently reason. At least in V1. This came up a couples time on the Old Board.
Title: Holiday Merchandise
Post by: slink on December 08, 2003, 04:21:07 pm
Quote from: "CortJstr"
Also a few random strips are missing for no apparently reason. At least in V1. This came up a couples time on the Old Board.


Well, I'll just have to print them out and slide them between the requisite pages.
Title: Holiday Merchandise
Post by: St_Zartan on December 08, 2003, 07:16:46 pm
Quote from: "slink"

Also, I haven't written by hand in about 5 years, so the ability to actually use a post-it might be lacking.


It isn't nearly as complicated as the experts would have you believe. You'll be all right.
Title: Holiday Merchandise
Post by: slink on December 08, 2003, 07:34:02 pm
Quote from: "St_Zartan"

It isn't nearly as complicated as the experts would have you believe. You'll be all right.


AHA! That would be alright! Mwahahahaha.
Sorry. Couldn't resist.

And no, the only problem with handwriting is that my hand tends to cramp up. It's another evil side effect of ME. Every muscle likes to cramp up if I like, try and use it or anything!
I'm actually typing like Daniel's mom at the end of Microserfs.
Title: Holiday Merchandise
Post by: V-Adore on December 08, 2003, 08:24:03 pm
Quote from: "St_Zartan"

See the problem is I would get that pad of post-its and faithfully transcribe all the alt-tags during some wicked tequila bender (cf yesterday, for example) but I wouldn't get around to actually putting them into the book, which means I'd wake up with all these bizarre and cryptic little yellow things everywhere without even a shred of context and thirty minutes to get to work and the smell of pickled eggplant and

Why does the TV say "Peel-Out Summer (US, 1981)"?? Was I going to tape it or what and oh holy night can kidneys actually shatter

Wow. Just... wow. If I may paraphrase our lovely and talented Den Mother briefly, you may be my new Internet crush, Zartan.

I think I may go through and start post-it-ing. Probably without the tequila, though.
Title: Holiday Merchandise
Post by: wombat on December 08, 2003, 09:30:38 pm
Quote from: "slink"


Also, I haven't written by hand in about 5 years, so the ability to actually use a post-it might be lacking.


Technology to the rescue:  Type them all and cut them up, and then you can buy a glue stick that has Post-It glue on it and so turns anything you want into a Post-It.  God, I love the 21st century.
Title: Holiday Merchandise
Post by: slink on December 09, 2003, 01:44:15 am
Quote from: "wombat"

Technology to the rescue:  Type them all and cut them up, and then you can buy a glue stick that has Post-It glue on it and so turns anything you want into a Post-It.  God, I love the 21st century.


Well, in which case, I'd cut and paste. But the cutting would probably cause me more pain than writing them badly!
Title: Holiday Merchandise
Post by: St_Zartan on December 09, 2003, 01:58:51 am
Quote from: "V-Adore"

Wow. Just... wow. If I may paraphrase our lovely and talented Den Mother briefly, you may be my new Internet crush, Zartan.


There is a tiny *****ic Spaniard with a hairy microfilament chest and forearms and he is thwapping his itty-bitty fistoleros against my brain and saying in response to this and etcetera: you must have broke the Internet. His name is Mamboto and he is the must-have item this Holiday Season.

Quote from: "V-Adore"
I think I may go through and start post-it-ing. Probably without the tequila, though.


Well, sure. If you're happy doing things halfway and all.
Title: Holiday Merchandise
Post by: slink on December 09, 2003, 02:05:42 am
Quote from: "St_Zartan"

There is a tiny *****ic Spaniard with a hairy microfilament chest and forearms and he is thwapping his itty-bitty fistoleros against my brain and saying in response to this and etcetera: you must have broke the Internet. His name is Mamboto and he is the must-have item this Holiday Season.


Most definitely my new internet crush. And that's just scary...
:shock:
Title: Holiday Merchandise
Post by: wombat on December 09, 2003, 03:23:46 pm
I refuse to make room for St Zartan in my roster of Internet crushes until he comes up with an avatar.
Title: Holiday Merchandise
Post by: jough on December 09, 2003, 03:54:02 pm
Quote from: "wombat"
I refuse to make room for St Zartan in my roster of Internet crushes until he comes up with an avatar.


Wow, you have a whole roster?

My internet crushes are very very fleeting.  But of course it's easy to dismiss the semi-anonymous because you are all just words and avatars.

And also you are all fake.
Title: Holiday Merchandise
Post by: CortJstr on December 09, 2003, 03:55:54 pm
Quote from: "El Guapo"
Quote from: "wombat"
I refuse to make room for St Zartan in my roster of Internet crushes until he comes up with an avatar.


Wow, you have a whole roster?

My internet crushes are very very fleeting.  But of course it's easy to dismiss the semi-anonymous because you are all just words and avatars.

And also you are all fake.


Ladies and gentlemen, welcome to the Turing Test. Jough here will be your host . . . or will he?!

*dun dun dun*
Title: Holiday Merchandise
Post by: wombat on December 09, 2003, 04:44:12 pm
Quote from: "El Guapo"


And also you are all fake.


Well, sure.  But see, that's a huge advantage.
Title: Holiday Merchandise
Post by: slink on December 09, 2003, 05:24:23 pm
If you knew the real me... well...
No I think I shall refrain.
Title: Holiday Merchandise
Post by: pmcd9 on December 09, 2003, 05:48:18 pm
All this fawning over Zartan has become sickening.

~Paul
Title: Holiday Merchandise
Post by: jay-ell on December 09, 2003, 06:15:11 pm
Quote from: "pmcd9"
All this fawning over Zartan has become sickening.


*squeal* but he's so cuuuuuuuute! *swoon*

 :roll:
Title: Holiday Merchandise
Post by: AugustWest on December 09, 2003, 08:05:33 pm
I'm not fake.


Yours very truly,

Pseudonym J. Ersatz
123 Main Street
Apt. 1-A
Anytown, MN 83254
(859) 555-1212
Title: Holiday Merchandise
Post by: St_Zartan on December 09, 2003, 09:24:38 pm
Quote from: "pmcd9"
All this fawning over Zartan has become sickening.


Then I guess it would be in really poor taste to mention how it's all gone straight to my head, and how I've drawn a series of obsessively detailed little flip-book animations of myself getting mad rutty with anyone who's ever said anything even remotely nice to me.

...while wearing a little crown and a red, white, and blue satin robe that reads "TEXAS HAMMER". It's a lot classier in execution than it sounds.
Title: Holiday Merchandise
Post by: wombat on December 09, 2003, 09:38:32 pm
Oh look, St Zartan got an avatar.  Do you think he's flirting with me?
Title: Holiday Merchandise
Post by: pmcd9 on December 09, 2003, 09:42:53 pm
Quote from: "wombat"
Oh look, St Zartan got an avatar.  Do you think he's flirting with me?
I'm certain of it.

~Paul
Title: Holiday Merchandise
Post by: pmcd9 on December 09, 2003, 09:43:49 pm
Quote from: "St_Zartan"
...while wearing a little crown and a red, white, and blue satin robe that reads "TEXAS HAMMER". It's a lot classier in execution than it sounds.


OMG, are you the Tough Smart Lawyer?

~Paul
Title: Holiday Merchandise
Post by: St_Zartan on December 09, 2003, 10:07:20 pm
Quote from: "pmcd9"
OMG, are you the Tough Smart Lawyer?


Only in my sweetest, sweetest dreams, and occasionally by request (street performances, birthday parties, role-playing in ye olde boudoir, &c).
Title: Holiday Merchandise
Post by: St_Zartan on December 09, 2003, 10:17:16 pm
Quote from: "wombat"
Oh look, St Zartan got an avatar.  Do you think he's flirting with me?


I'm just buttering you up so you'll tell me how you made those terrific fridge magnets (http://www.rebsig.com/kogepan/nachos.jpg).
Title: Holiday Merchandise
Post by: slink on December 09, 2003, 10:26:19 pm
Quote from: "St_Zartan"

Only in my sweetest, sweetest dreams, and occasionally by request (street performances, birthday parties, role-playing in ye olde boudoir, &c).


Barmitzvas?

And oh my! I'd forgotten about those fridge magnets. But they were rather superb! And I feel my obsession, and laze factors, may both be requisite that I could make some. So dish the dirt wombat!!!!

(Hell, I might even buy a fridge!)
Title: Holiday Merchandise
Post by: wombat on December 09, 2003, 10:44:55 pm
Quote from: "St_Zartan"
Quote from: "wombat"
Oh look, St Zartan got an avatar.  Do you think he's flirting with me?


I'm just buttering you up so you'll tell me how you made those terrific fridge magnets (http://www.rebsig.com/kogepan/nachos.jpg).


Oh, I do find it hard to say no to anyone who admires my fridge magnets...

But I don't know.  If you all know how to make them, I won't be special anymore.
Title: Holiday Merchandise
Post by: St_Zartan on December 09, 2003, 10:46:20 pm
Quote from: "slink"
Barmitzvas?


Yeah, I guess I could take that little propeller off for a few hours.

Quote from: "slink"
And I feel my obsession, and laze factors, may both be requisite that I could make some.


I don't want to jump to any conclusions here (because if I've demonstrated anything thus far, I am certain it is a reluctance to generalize) but they might be slightly trickier than writing on a Post-It.
Title: Holiday Merchandise
Post by: Pedro Picasso on December 09, 2003, 10:48:43 pm
Quote from: "St_Zartan"
Then I guess it would be in really poor taste to mention how it's all gone straight to my head, and how I've drawn a series of obsessively detailed little flip-book animations of myself getting mad rutty with anyone who's ever said anything even remotely nice to me.


Yar, matey!  Me spouse has taken a shine to yee, an' if'n this flippin' book's jandermashuns be true, I'll feed yer giblits to me parrot, yar.

On an unrelated note, if I told ye I liked the cutta yer jib, could ye include me in yer book-a-whimsies, and send me a copy?
Title: Holiday Merchandise
Post by: slink on December 09, 2003, 11:00:03 pm
Quote from: "St_Zartan"

I don't want to jump to any conclusions here but they might be slightly trickier than writing on a Post-It.


But 900 post-its. And the printouts of the missing strips!
Now, getting a little flour mix under the fingernails don't seem so bad.


Although you're somewhat right, I would probably stutter, whimper and collapse in a somewhat melodramatic fashion after the first post-it.

I had to remove what I was about to say, because it made this whole post absolutely, terrifyingly... different.

OK, I said 'They're just so pink and sticky.'
I didn't think that sounded good after whimpering and collapsing.

And you know what's really scary? I think my parcel from Onstad is going to arrive before both Amazon parcels... including one I ordered last fuck*ng week, on 24hr despatch, from amazon.co.uk.
Now, am I sure I live in the UK. Wait... YES GODDAMNIT!
Title: Holiday Merchandise
Post by: wombat on December 09, 2003, 11:59:22 pm
If someone posts links to the missing strips, I will reveal the secret of the fridge magnets, and you will have saved Slink from futile experiments involving ingredients better suited to pastry making.

But I warn you, I found that it's weird having Ray staring at you through those little glasses all the time. So if your fridge is in a conspicuous place you might find life getting a little uncomfortable.
Title: Holiday Merchandise
Post by: St_Zartan on December 10, 2003, 12:24:56 am
Quote from: "Pedro Picasso"
Yar, matey!  Me spouse has taken a shine to yee, an' if'n this flippin' book's jandermashuns be true, I'll feed yer giblits to me parrot, yar.

It is all about context, you surely dig - in the case of your lovely and intelligent spouse, "mad rutty" meant nothing more than "witty, platonic, and most importantly supervised banter over a snifter or two of low-impact cognac". It is a delicate artist that can communicate such subtleties in the largely overlooked Post-It flip-book medium. So please do not beat me on the joints with big metal things you might otherwise use to repair a car.

Quote from: "Pedro Picasso"
On an unrelated note, if I told ye I liked the cutta yer jib, could ye include me in yer book-a-whimsies, and send me a copy?

As soon as I hear back from PayPal, the Mad Rutty Motion Commissions Desk will be open for business. Because I will swing that way for major credit cards.
Title: Holiday Merchandise
Post by: Pedro Picasso on December 10, 2003, 12:29:37 am
Well played.
Title: Holiday Merchandise
Post by: jough on December 10, 2003, 09:10:11 am
This conversation has nothing to do with Holiday Merchandise.

WAY TO RUIN THE THREAD FOR EVERYONE ST. ZAXXON.