The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => History => Topic started by: pmcd9 on August 25, 2009, 10:38:45 am

Title: Michael Jackson Murdered
Post by: pmcd9 on August 25, 2009, 10:38:45 am
I must say I didn't see that one coming.
Title: Re: Michael Jackson Murdered
Post by: Doc on August 25, 2009, 11:58:04 am
What I read was that it's been called homocide which I think can also covers manslaughter and negligence so it's not that surprising given he died with a gut full of drugs and the prescribing doctor has disappeared.
Title: Re: Michael Jackson Murdered
Post by: wombat on August 25, 2009, 12:43:42 pm
The other day there was a story preview on NPR that said something like "coming up: how there was more coverage of Michael Jackson's death in three weeks than there was of Afghanistan in a whole year." I might have the numbers wrong but that was the general idea. This was even before the homicide ruling.

As a consumer of news I refuse to feel the guilt about relative interest in those stories that was obviously implied. I mean, come on, there are wars and horror and government breakdown and poverty every day. A story this bizarre only happens once in, I don't know, a decade? It's hard to even compare. Maybe once in a lifetime, maybe he was a uniquely bizarre person. Of course that's more attention-getting than the everyday awfulness of the world.
Title: Re: Michael Jackson Murdered
Post by: AugustWest on August 25, 2009, 01:14:53 pm
But...but... I'm already sick of hearing about Michael Jackson.
Title: Re: Michael Jackson Murdered
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on August 25, 2009, 04:50:42 pm
But...but... I'm already sick of hearing about Michael Jackson.
you and me both brother, but this murder trial is going to drag on forever.
Title: Re: Michael Jackson Murdered
Post by: wombat on August 25, 2009, 05:54:27 pm
Well, you know, it's not murder, it's at most manslaughter, which is not nearly as exciting. Killing someone by accident because you're an incompetent doctor is not nearly as juicy as killing someone on purpose for some interesting motive.
Title: Re: Michael Jackson Murdered
Post by: greenkoolayd on August 25, 2009, 06:00:47 pm
how is anyone supposed to miss michael jackson if they wont fuck*ng let him die?
Title: Re: Michael Jackson Murdered
Post by: Ben-San on August 25, 2009, 11:27:42 pm
The up side to the hoopla and reverence is that there are Michael Jackson impersonators around Philadelphia now. Anything which causes more street-dancing to intersect my daily life is of benefit to me.
Title: Re: Michael Jackson Murdered
Post by: dejavroom on August 26, 2009, 11:45:46 am
Craps, even dead that dude is going to put us through another dumbass interminable juicy gossip laden trial.

That is... if he's really is dead... *winks knowingly*

(What I'm trying to say is soon you'll have a new Elvis)
Title: Re: Michael Jackson Murdered
Post by: Doc on August 26, 2009, 11:57:51 am
As bad as they're milking it, it can't be worse than the Princess Di stuff can it?
Can it?
Title: Re: Michael Jackson Murdered
Post by: pmcd9 on August 26, 2009, 01:26:08 pm
If you were anywhere near Graceland last week you know it never ends.
Title: Re: Michael Jackson Murdered
Post by: dejavroom on August 26, 2009, 01:52:56 pm
Graceland, Neverland... it - it's practically spelling itself out in front of our very eyes...
Title: Re: Michael Jackson Murdered
Post by: wombat on August 26, 2009, 02:48:47 pm
There's not only more coverage of Michael Jackson than Afghanistan, there's more posting in this thread than in the one about the new strip. NOW I'm crranky about it.
Title: Re: Michael Jackson Murdered
Post by: pmcd9 on August 26, 2009, 03:00:42 pm
The Daisy Owl thread is getting more comments than the latest Achewood comic as well.

Maybe Daisy Owl should have it's own fora with a new thread for each new comic?
Title: Re: Michael Jackson Murdered
Post by: Choop on August 26, 2009, 03:14:57 pm
change the achewood top-level board to comics and add a daisy owl sub-board next to the achewood sub-board. and a suggestions thread. add another board called 'today i'm gonna,' lock the thread, and split threads viciously.

these suggestions i'm making feel really familiar
Title: Re: Michael Jackson Murdered
Post by: KeithHernandez on August 26, 2009, 07:55:57 pm
http://www.wwtdd.com/2009/08/michael-jackson-is-alive-maybe/

also, why are you always trying to turn this board into everywhere else recently choop?
Title: Re: Michael Jackson Murdered
Post by: dejavroom on August 26, 2009, 08:28:33 pm
http://www.wwtdd.com/2009/08/michael-jackson-is-alive-maybe/

Ok, that was way faster (and more literal) than I thought...
Title: Re: Michael Jackson Murdered
Post by: Choop on August 26, 2009, 10:06:38 pm
this place will never be "everywhere else" and thank $deity. i'm not trying to turn this place into anywhere else. i'm just trying to give some helpful ideas that will improve organization and get people to post threads, which are kind of the life's blood of a forum

so sue me
Title: Re: Michael Jackson Murdered
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on August 27, 2009, 12:53:30 am
this place will never be "everywhere else" and thank $deity. i'm not trying to turn this place into anywhere else. i'm just trying to give some helpful ideas that will improve organization and get people to post threads, which are kind of the life's blood of a forum

so sue me

I second Choop's statements, I agree with his suggestions as an improvement in organization. It will not alter the fundamental character and will only help more people be able to get involved by lowering "costs of entry" (i.e., reading 235 pages of Today I'm Gonna...)
Title: Re: Michael Jackson Murdered
Post by: wombat on August 27, 2009, 01:37:36 am
We can agree all we want but unless someone wants to contact Jough and convince him to spend time making those changes, we'll just have to work with the clunky old thing we've already got.

Title: Re: Michael Jackson Murdered
Post by: greenkoolayd on August 27, 2009, 02:52:47 am
Bend over, I need to make a deposit...in your can. Want me to spit on it first?

i dont get it...
Title: Re: Michael Jackson Murdered
Post by: pmcd9 on August 27, 2009, 03:07:55 am
i dont get it...

He gave you a tiny can of Dr Pepper, but he made it sound like he was fuck*ng you in the butt.  He asked if you wanted him to spit on it so his dick would be lubricated when he gave you a tiny can of Dr Pepper.
Title: Re: Michael Jackson Murdered
Post by: Doc on August 27, 2009, 04:54:16 am
I kind of like the clunk.
Also I suspect that if we shut down the today I'm gonna thread and made a new fora for it then no one would post there ever. The point of that thread is short posts that aren't worth their own thread, people can get terrible bashful about their own stuff.

That said I just decided to make a new thread because I just remembered a topic of interest we can argue about and I like arguing with you guys.
Title: Re: Michael Jackson Murdered
Post by: side_show on August 27, 2009, 09:02:37 am
Substance users, regardless of their wealth or lack there of, make a choice to pursue the use of their substances of choice.  Sometimes people use substances for perfectly understandable reasons, sometimes people use substances for totally ludicrous reasons, some for a combo of both.  If you support the employ of a supplier of your substance to ensure you receive and on-going supply of whatever substance you're using, be that a neighborhood dealer or shady Doctor, you are actively pursuing the use of the substance, regardless of any middle man.

It's an odd thing.  A week ago, a man died on the playground a few houses away from mine, hairspray in hand.  In an intoxicated state, the man had fallen, hit his head, and died from a combo of the trauma and the solvents in his system.  This guy was one of the regular solvent users in my area, and they are all clearly getting their solvents (multiple empty bottles of the identical Finesse brand hairspray & store brand mouth wash litter the ground all around the park) from the same supplier.  This is likely some mom & pop shop that is selling these products on the cheap, suspecting full well that the people purchasing them are not using them for their intended purpose.  I do not deny that this sort of behavior waltzes on the line of moral ambiguity to a certain degree, same goes of MJ's doctor's activities, same goes for the friendly man who sells me enough alcohol to possibly kill me.  So are these people murderers?

In the end, all I know is each person is blessed and cursed with choice.  We choose to put things into our bodies, knowing full well that some of them are killing use, sometimes slowly, sometimes quickly. 

When it comes to Michael Jackson in particular, I've been disgusted with the media martyrdom from day one.  The guy chose to stay in show biz, long after any family member could make him dance like a trained monkey.  He chose to be flamboyant and to court the media.  He chose to let young boys sleep in bed with him.  He chose to spend exorbitant amounts of money.  He chose to drastically alter his appearance.  He chose to put drugs into his body.  He had freedom of choice his entire adult life, and much more freedom of choice than most people enjoy due to wealth, fame, cultural prestige and power.  The excuses, the back peddling and the footnoting we're getting exposed to on every news and entertainment channel about him is all pretty ugly to me.  In the end, he was a person who had access to broad freedoms and opportunities, and faced with that, made a lot of unbelievably bad choices.  I can understand that this gross and total loss of self perspective is epic in its proportions, and was, in a lurid car-crash sort of way fascinating, but that's not at all how it's being presented.  It's like -- to use substance-use recovery speak -- the media continues to be an enabler by excusing and denying what are essentially self destructive choices made by a sick person.  Ick.  Not cool.
Title: Re: Michael Jackson Murdered
Post by: AugustWest on August 27, 2009, 12:30:53 pm
Golly I've missed you posting here, Smells.
Title: Re: Michael Jackson Murdered
Post by: side_show on August 27, 2009, 10:18:42 pm
Thanks guys, I'm glad to be back, and glad I came back in time for Cartilage Head.  Good times.
Title: Re: Michael Jackson Murdered
Post by: theinevitable on August 27, 2009, 11:37:05 pm
But like, Doctors are not mom and pop store operators. They are theoretically... people whose purpose is to improve life and stuff, via hippocratic oath. they take on more moral obligations than mom and pop store owners.


I also don't know what I think about assigning responsibility in the case of a man who seemed to be pretty clearly mentally ill.

to quote my favorite professor, "I don't believe in holding people responsible for their actions (and then some kind of statement about "I can get away with this because I'm an academic")"
But really though, he was a fucked up and sick dude, I do not really hold him responsible for his actions. He was a man whose mind was broken.
Title: Re: Michael Jackson Murdered
Post by: Doc on August 28, 2009, 05:01:37 am
Yeah I'd argue there is slightly less responsibility on Jackson's part (he sounds damn near respectable when you refer to  him like that) because it is not expected that a person on the street will automatically know what amount or combination of prescription drugs may be harmful, that's why there is such a thing as prescriptions. In his specific case I daresay he had a fair idea what he was doing but the prescribing doctor can't really know that for that certain so they pretty much have to be negligent. For that matter there's an argument to be made that being all hupped up on happy pills would have compromised Mickey's competence anyway, in which case the doctor is even more negligent for giving a person with compromised judgment free access to aforesaid happy pills.

That's if we're living in the pretend world where this doc was actually treating someone with a disease that required this kind of medication and gave a damn about this stuff rather than just enabling a very rich addict.
Title: Re: Michael Jackson Murdered
Post by: greenkoolayd on August 28, 2009, 05:03:34 am
He gave you a tiny can of Dr Pepper, but he made it sound like he was fuck*ng you in the butt.  He asked if you wanted him to spit on it so his dick would be lubricated when he gave you a tiny can of Dr Pepper.

i get the mechanical idea, i just didnt know why he chose to illustrate the giving of the can in such an unpleasant way.
Title: Re: Michael Jackson Murdered
Post by: jaydub on August 28, 2009, 09:43:53 pm
Because he's an evil, evil man.
Title: Re: Michael Jackson Murdered
Post by: miles on August 28, 2009, 11:00:18 pm
That plus the age old hazing of the newbie thing we do time to time.

Jesus. If that's hazing what fraternity did you ever join?
Title: Re: Michael Jackson Murdered
Post by: AugustWest on August 28, 2009, 11:46:16 pm
Jesus. If that's hazing what fraternity did you ever join?

From what I hear, any of 'em.
Title: Re: Michael Jackson Murdered
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on August 29, 2009, 01:23:25 am
That plus the age old hazing of the newbie thing we do time to time.

the hazing is a good sign, dude
Dude the hazing sucked.
Title: Re: Michael Jackson Murdered
Post by: Choop on August 29, 2009, 02:59:22 am
some of us were hazed by onstad himself, 'tis a ripe old tradition from the dumbrella days
Title: Re: Michael Jackson Murdered
Post by: Toaster on August 29, 2009, 03:37:06 am
"Don't haze me, bro!"
Title: Re: Michael Jackson Murdered
Post by: Choop on August 29, 2009, 03:55:13 am
i'd can you for that but i already can'd you today
Title: Re: Michael Jackson Murdered
Post by: dejavroom on August 31, 2009, 12:20:56 am
So that was what that was all about?