The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board
Trivial Pursuits => Sports & Leisure => Topic started by: pmcd9 on August 25, 2009, 10:57:28 am
-
Video (http://www.break.com/usercontent/2008/5/Asdrubal-Cabrera-Unassisted-Triple-Play-May-12-2008-502288.html)
Pretty Amazing play, one of the most rare plays in all of baseball.
But I don't want to talk about the play itself, but this (http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=112182587) story which ran on NPR yesterday. During the story they ran the audio of the radio broadcast and ended it with the announcer exclaiming "Unbelievable." The NPR reporter went on to say "Or as the late Phil Rizzuto would have said "Holy Cow"."
It struck me as odd they would mention the famous Yankees broadcaster in a story involving the Mets. Was "unbelievable" not enough? Are the Mets so lowly that they need to Mention Phil Rizzuto in a story that had absolutely nothing to do with the Yankees? This is after already pointing out at the top of the story what doormats the Mets are this season.
Anyway, I'm no Mets fan, but that kinda irked me.
-
I think I should say "Holy cow" more often.
-
The Mets are so low they gotta borrow some other team's announcer's catch phrase.
-
Paul, Paul, that is the wrong play! I am too lazy to track down the right one.
-
Try this one. (http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/gameday/index.jsp?gid=2009_08_23_phimlb_nynmlb_1&mode=wrap)
What makes it all the more remarkable: the two guys on base represented the tying runs in the bottom of the 9th, and the second baseman who turned the triple play had helped put them there, by committing an error, and misplaying another ball that was ruled a hit.
It's been a wacky year for rare feats in baseball. Buehrle's perfect game, Josh Willingham's two grand slams in one game, and something like six cycles this year already which is the most in a season in 50 years or so.
-
@What!?! I just googled unassisted triple play and that was the first result. There have only been 15 of them ever so I figured it had to be it. Oh well.
-
I watched this game live. It was really depressing, because the mets fans felt the rally and saw the winning runs on the bags and were out of their seats cheering "lets go mets!" in some kind of hope frenzy. Then some completely improbable triple play ruined everything.
-
I watched this game live. It was really depressing, because the mets fans felt the rally and saw the winning runs on the bags and were out of their seats cheering "lets go mets!" in some kind of hope frenzy. Then some completely improbable triple play ruined everything.
HA HA!
/Nelson Muntz
-
HA HA!
/Nelson Muntz
Seriously. SportsCenter showed this play about 27 times Monday morning, and a couple of times they played a clip of a Mets fan jumping to his feet, arms in the air, who appeared to be shouting "YYYYESSS.... OH SHIT!!"
-
Didn't I just read today that Johan Santana is having an MRI on his elbow or something? Which would be about the 843rd injury to Mets players this year. I'd feel bad for them if I didn't hate them so much.
(I hate the Mets, the Red Sox, the Yankees, and the Braves, in that order. Yes, the Red Sox and their fans have annoyed me so much over the past few years that I would actually prefer to see the Yankees beat them. The clincher was back in June when Red Sox fans filled up Nationals Park. Late in the game some d-bag behind me yelled "The Blue Jays are losing! Looks like our lead will be six games!" What's this "we" shit, motherfucker? This is our house. If you love Boston so much, go live there. I hope the Yanks come back and steamroll you bean-eating dipshits. AND LO IT HAS COME TO PASS.)
-
Oh shit, another baseball thread. AND I STARTED IT! What was I thinking?
-
You guys should'a seen a Mets message board's reaction to that.
We'd been debating for so long what rock-bottom was going to be and suddenly...
There it was, clear as day.
A ninth inning rally killed by a GAME ENDING UNASSISTED TRIPLE PLAY.
Then? Just to rub it in and point out that there IS no rock-bottom to this fuck*ng season...
Santana goes under the knife. It's like some French existensialist writer is making up this crap.
-
This seemed oddly appropriate for this thread. (http://www.theonion.com/content/news_briefs/rare_centuple_play_ends?utm_source=onion_rss_daily)