The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board
Achewood => Achewood => Topic started by: gmaurice on September 07, 2009, 01:29:55 pm
-
I've been trawling through the archives but can't find this strip - would you guys be able to help?
I'm looking for a strip where Teodor (I think) is listening to a psychedelic / prog rock album and loving it. Until Lyle(?) tells him to check some other albums by the same band, which leads to the realization that the band is actually crap.
Anyone know what date this was published?
Or post any vague memories of the name of the band / other clues that might help me find it!
Thanks a lot in advance
G
-
do a text search on "grateful dead"
-
do a text search on "grateful dead"
In case you're lazy: http://achewood.com/index.php?date=02282008
-
Awesome, thanks guys!
;D
-
Ha ha ha, thanks for the memories. I had forgotten about that one.
T- I think I'm becoming a deadhead
L- Like hell you are.
L-These guys were so stoned they had two drummers at the same time and didn't even notice.
T- At least you can tap your foot to an incoming fax.
Oh shit, that's comedy gold. And I actually like the dead.
-
The interesting thing about the Dead is that... they seem to be the one band where everyone is basically okay with the fact that everyone who isn't a huge fan likes their one big mid-career commercal radio hit and nothing else. "A Touch of Gray" is pretty much unlike anything else in their catalogue and the superfans are totally find with the fact that this is why people only like that one song.
I suppose this is one of the great things about people on hallucinogens or pot. As long as the drugs keep coming, everything is rad.
Still. The Dead are basically the reason Phish and Dave Matthews exist and these are two unforgivable things.
-
Does anyone else feel the way I do about the Dead? I like quite a few of their studio albums, but I can't see the point of listening to their live stuff. It seems like you shouldn't have to listen to over a hundred different versions of Dark Star before you realize that there isn't one that doesn't suck, you know?
-
WHOA.
my roommate and I, while coming up with ridiculous things that make no sense, came up with the idea of the guy who hates live Dead, but loves the studio albums.
I like "box of rain" and nothing else. I hate the "jam" concept as applied to rock music except jimi hendrix sometimes. also, I love this one phish song.
phish bugs me because Trey has this percussive guitar style that I really like, but he uses it to jack off in my face.
-
You guys all suck. You too Onstad.
-
I don't understand 100 versions of Dark Star either, but some people eat that shit up so more power to them. The Dead were something that was awesome to experience. Copious amounts of drugs help matters considerably.
I like a lot of the Dead's music and I have a number of their official live albums. When they were on they were a great band. I've also got a number of their boots and when they were off they were pretty bad. But they were improvisational, they drove into the ditch a few times. You gotta admire a group that is willing to stick it's neck out there like that.
Also, Dan gets a can for taking a facial from Trey Anastasio.
-
Yeah, damn that John Coltrane. He never played Giant Steps the same way twice. I don't get it.
-
I am one of those who only likes the studio albums. It's just simple, stoned country rock, people. What's so hard about this?
I'll let John Coltrane play Giant Steps any way he pleases, too. There's a huge difference there, but I can't explain it without sounding wrong.
-
that is why I specified that I do not like "jamming" as applied to ROCK music. Although I don't know if I would say that Coltrane "jammed."
I think my favorite on that album is "Syeeda's Song," i love the opening theme (is this what that is called? I mean the part that establishes the melody/changes before he starts Doing His Thing)
also: AW, we have so many good jazz albums on vinyl at the station. I wonder if I have played some of the stuff you played back in the day... we do not have any of it on CD.
-
Yeah, that's about it.
Jamming: "Let's just play three chords and see what happens man." "Mellow."
Bebop: "We're going to run the changes of 'My Fair Lady.' See how many related chords you can extrapolate and then craft a melody out of those on the fly." "Alright motherfucker."
-
also: AW, we have so many good jazz albums on vinyl at the station. I wonder if I have played some of the stuff you played back in the day... we do not have any of it on CD.
No doubt. I should burn you a CD of a couple of my recorded shows that I still have, except I sound like such a stereotypical college sophomore hippie type that it would be embarrassing.
An album that you should look for to see if it's still there, because it's amazing and nobody ever heard of it: Emil Richards and the Microtonal Blues Band -- Journey to Bliss.
-
i love the opening theme (is this what that is called?...)
introductory motif
Emil Richards
i think i went to college with him
-
i think i went to college with him
He just turned 77 last week. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emil_Richards)
-
yep i totally went to college with that dude
-
i love the opening theme (is this what that is called? I mean the part that establishes the melody/changes before he starts Doing His Thing)
"Head." No, seriously (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Head_(music)). Just like when you're gettin' mad rutty isthisthingon?