The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Achewood => Achewood => Topic started by: dejavroom on September 08, 2009, 02:07:21 pm

Title: Tuesday, September 8th 2009 - Good! Bad? Ethanol!
Post by: dejavroom on September 08, 2009, 02:07:21 pm
abloo abloo (http://achewood.com/index.php?date=09082009) bloo-bloo.

I don't understand people complaining that achewood is past its prime. Onstad's lazy resolutions are just as fresh today, I think...
Title: Re: Tuesday, September 8th 2009 - Good! Bad? Ethanol!
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on September 08, 2009, 02:26:19 pm
I am a great man, but not a good man.
Title: Re: Tuesday, September 8th 2009 - Good! Bad? Ethanol!
Post by: wombat on September 08, 2009, 02:53:29 pm
I am hella relieved.
Title: Re: Tuesday, September 8th 2009 - Good! Bad? Ethanol!
Post by: JorgeFabregas on September 08, 2009, 03:13:36 pm
Will Teodor get some of that settlement money?

Ray's response confuses me--the doctor is prescribing Ketel One to ease his detox, but he doesn't want the detox to be too easy? I would think he would want as much Ketel One as possible.

Beef deserted a dying man--himself? I don't think that makes much sense. If he chooses not to die, then he has saved the dying man.
Title: Re: Tuesday, September 8th 2009 - Good! Bad? Ethanol!
Post by: CortJstr on September 08, 2009, 03:30:12 pm
Will Teodor get some of that settlement money?

Ray's response confuses me--the doctor is prescribing Ketel One to ease his detox, but he doesn't want the detox to be too easy? I would think he would want as much Ketel One as possible.

I guess T should get some of the settlement money but he won't for the sake of his character still mooching off Ray and whatnot.

I think Ray means not to ease him off too quickly or down to too low of a level. He doesn't want to end this thing up sober, just not plastered.
Title: Re: Tuesday, September 8th 2009 - Good! Bad? Ethanol!
Post by: Bimmicus on September 08, 2009, 03:43:08 pm
This is terrible. God damn, Achewood, what the hell happened to you?
Title: Re: Tuesday, September 8th 2009 - Good! Bad? Ethanol!
Post by: Bimmicus on September 08, 2009, 04:02:38 pm
The whole comic has taken on an air of soul-numbing sausage-grinding and yet somehow manages to try too hard at the same time. Recent arcs have been uninspired, glacially paced, and boring as all fuck. The cast have become thin caricatures of themselves. NOT FUNNY ANYMORE OR EVEN MILDLY AMUSING. Oh hell I could go on but it's like talking shit about a dying relative, it just makes me feel bad for them.
Title: Re: Tuesday, September 8th 2009 - Good! Bad? Ethanol!
Post by: AugustWest on September 08, 2009, 04:33:02 pm
I'm not prepared to make the sort of wide ranging comments that Bimmicus is, but I was pretty disappointed by this ending.

It just feels like a huge copout to me.  After a long and interesting buildup, Onstad leaves us with two cliffhangers (Beef at the door of the karma machine, T & R trapped in the burning truck).  How are the both resolved?  In about the least interesting, most predicable way possible. 

Great setup, lousy resolution.
Title: Re: Tuesday, September 8th 2009 - Good! Bad? Ethanol!
Post by: Bimmicus on September 08, 2009, 04:53:36 pm
I mean, every comic strip has a shelf-life – usually a brief one – but I'm just amazed how fast this turned from a treasured daily read to a steaming, artfully-arranged pile of poop.

edit: I pretty much gave up on Achewood months ago, but someone posted this one in another forum and it genuinely broke my heart a little.
Title: Re: Tuesday, September 8th 2009 - Good! Bad? Ethanol!
Post by: Limmo on September 08, 2009, 05:15:21 pm
What August said. 

Title: Re: Tuesday, September 8th 2009 - Good! Bad? Ethanol!
Post by: wombat on September 08, 2009, 05:53:10 pm
See, I don't have a problem with this. This seems like a traditional Achewood thing to me. We're sure they're all gonna die, and then they don't. There's no way out of the GOF alive, but then there is. Phillippe's gonna die at the super-secret ice cream store, but he doesn't. There's no way out of the karma machine, but then there is. There's still suspense, because we're never sure they're going to make it out this time, or at least I'm not. I'm always afraid that he might just be that crazy, that he might eventually do it.

Also, what someone on the assbar said:

Quote
I've read this strip for years. The characters are absolutely 100% consistently drawn and yet I still wonder what they will do when presented with hard choices. I had my fingers X'd for 3 days hoping Beef would go back to Molly.
Title: Re: Tuesday, September 8th 2009 - Good! Bad? Ethanol!
Post by: AugustWest on September 08, 2009, 06:04:12 pm
See, I don't have a problem with this. This seems like a traditional Achewood thing to me. We're sure they're all gonna die, and then they don't. There's no way out of the GOF alive, but then there is. Phillippe's gonna die at the super-secret ice cream store, but he doesn't. There's no way out of the karma machine, but then there is. There's still suspense, because we're never sure they're going to make it out this time, or at least I'm not. I'm always afraid that he might just be that crazy, that he might eventually do it.


Yabbut in the GOF they get out by firebombing jeeps and bringing the house down.  Phillippe's gonna die, but he escapes himself and kills a deer in the process.  None of that cool stuff happens here.

Beef goes to bed.  Ray and T escaped offscreen.  No surreal twists.  No excitement.  Just over.

Also, what the hell dying man did Beef abandon?
Title: Re: Tuesday, September 8th 2009 - Good! Bad? Ethanol!
Post by: wombat on September 08, 2009, 06:27:46 pm
I'm a girl, I guess, I don't prefer the movies with exploding jeeps.

I assumed he meant he abandoned himself, in some way?
Title: Re: Tuesday, September 8th 2009 - Good! Bad? Ethanol!
Post by: pmcd9 on September 08, 2009, 07:43:30 pm
I too was disappointed in the end of this arc.  We were built up for something that never occurred.

The GOF kept building to a definite climax.  Where was the climax here?  I don't want to get all Bimmicus up in here, but this arc had super potential wasted. 
Title: Re: Tuesday, September 8th 2009 - Good! Bad? Ethanol!
Post by: milhouse on September 08, 2009, 08:31:01 pm
There was no 'fin'. Maybe it's not over?
Title: Re: Tuesday, September 8th 2009 - Good! Bad? Ethanol!
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on September 08, 2009, 09:13:23 pm
There was no 'fin'. Maybe it's not over?

I KNOE RITE


but it's more fun to bitch and moan
Title: Re: Tuesday, September 8th 2009 - Good! Bad? Ethanol!
Post by: Mr Trout on September 08, 2009, 10:00:32 pm
I was thinking the same thing. For someone who appears keep tabs on everything all the time (albeit through an antiquated ticker-tape) Cartilage Head sure let Beef get off easy...
Title: Re: Tuesday, September 8th 2009 - Good! Bad? Ethanol!
Post by: R2DTrousers on September 08, 2009, 10:12:40 pm
There's no reason why we, together, can't make this the arc it could have been - Beef, Ray, and Teodor's Adventures Down The Karma Chute (Being An Account of Knuckleheads Saying Stuff As If From Old Days Funny Achewood).

Writing words and drawing pictures isn't so hard. Who's with me?

Title: Re: Tuesday, September 8th 2009 - Good! Bad? Ethanol!
Post by: Bimmicus on September 08, 2009, 10:37:42 pm
Let's just.... remember the good times :'(
Title: Re: Tuesday, September 8th 2009 - Good! Bad? Ethanol!
Post by: Mr Trout on September 08, 2009, 11:31:37 pm
(http://fi.somethingawful.com/images/smilies/emot-emo.gif)
Title: Re: Tuesday, September 8th 2009 - Good! Bad? Ethanol!
Post by: jaydub on September 09, 2009, 12:04:35 am
You mean fanfic?  I hear there are medications for that these days.  Look into it.
Title: Re: Tuesday, September 8th 2009 - Good! Bad? Ethanol!
Post by: jaydub on September 09, 2009, 12:09:06 am
I assumed he meant he abandoned himself, in some way?
I think he's disappointed with himself (a depressive with a free suicide card he doesn't play?) and assumes that CH will be as disappointed with Beef as he was with Ray.  Here he is, getting back into bed with Molly, weighing her down instead of letting her get back to walking the aisles at Target.
Title: Re: Tuesday, September 8th 2009 - Good! Bad? Ethanol!
Post by: ananke on September 09, 2009, 12:17:08 am
"Good! Bad? Ketel One?" is how I will now respond to things that confuse me.
Title: Re: Tuesday, September 8th 2009 - Good! Bad? Ethanol!
Post by: Dangermoose on September 09, 2009, 01:51:21 am
Also, what the hell dying man did Beef abandon?

Wasn't he offered a choice of helping out Ray and Teodor or getting in bed with Molly?  And he chose the latter.  As far as he knows his guys are not okay.  I mean, that's what I saw happening there.
Title: Re: Tuesday, September 8th 2009 - Good! Bad? Ethanol!
Post by: dejavroom on September 09, 2009, 02:01:59 am
How does he get information about Ray and Teodor?
Title: Re: Tuesday, September 8th 2009 - Good! Bad? Ethanol!
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on September 09, 2009, 02:18:18 am
Wasn't he offered a choice of helping out Ray and Teodor or getting in bed with Molly?  And he chose the latter.  As far as he knows his guys are not okay.  I mean, that's what I saw happening there.
No. This was a reference  to the CH strip ending where Ray gets a note saying that Ray is a coward who would abandon a dying man. Ray failed the test and now so did Beef, because he abandoned himself. Beef is now also a coward who abandon a dying man.
Title: Re: Tuesday, September 8th 2009 - Good! Bad? Ethanol!
Post by: Toaster on September 09, 2009, 03:02:06 am
Beef was dying. Beef chose not to die. So he abandoned a dying man.

But where does the alleged cowardice come in? Here's where. In death, Beef was resigning himself to the way of things, affirming that he is but a small part of the great machine. His time had come. In choosing not to die, he effectively communicated that he is important, and that what he wants matters, and everything else be damned. I think this is awesome, but some people think that you're supposed to do what you're told. And I guess Beef is one of those people. He chose to live, even though he thought dying was the right thing to do. Our boy has mad bozack, is what I am saying. Even if he doesn't appreciate it, himself.
Title: Re: Tuesday, September 8th 2009 - Good! Bad? Ethanol!
Post by: atalkingdog on September 09, 2009, 03:35:45 am
I like how Doc Andretti saved us the trouble of having to be introduced to a lawyer character.
He already knows all about the Settlement offer.  yay.

I was kind of looking forward to another after-life road trip.

the main gag seems to be Beef dropping the pamphlet just before reading the part about escaping the Lash of Thanatos.  the pamphlet then lobotomizes Ray and nearly kills teodor.  then Beef escapes being reincarnated as an unfortunate being anyways.
Title: Re: Tuesday, September 8th 2009 - Good! Bad? Ethanol!
Post by: Doc on September 09, 2009, 09:42:11 am
I was kind of downed by this too, Beef's line just doesn't make sense in context to me, if Toaster's assessment is correct (and it seems like the best explanation) then it just seems a really forced way to reuse that line.

The Ray and Teodore thing I mind less, especially since T's detailed explanation of how they got out seems to be a nod to it being a cop out. Also kettle one IV!
Title: Re: Tuesday, September 8th 2009 - Good! Bad? Ethanol!
Post by: dejavroom on September 09, 2009, 12:20:36 pm
somewhere, in the achewood fanflow, it all makes sense, with the contextualization provided by 15 more strips we didn't get to see...
Title: Re: Tuesday, September 8th 2009 - Good! Bad? Ethanol!
Post by: CortJstr on September 09, 2009, 01:18:48 pm
Beef was dying. Beef chose not to die. So he abandoned a dying man.

But where does the alleged cowardice come in? Here's where. In death, Beef was resigning himself to the way of things, affirming that he is but a small part of the great machine. His time had come. In choosing not to die, he effectively communicated that he is important, and that what he wants matters, and everything else be damned. I think this is awesome, but some people think that you're supposed to do what you're told. And I guess Beef is one of those people. He chose to live, even though he thought dying was the right thing to do. Our boy has mad bozack, is what I am saying. Even if he doesn't appreciate it, himself.

This was my assumption. The cowardice as he sees is probably partly that the Lash was sort of a destiny he avoided, plus he let down CH since he basically agreed to follow through on this. And of course he thinks Molly would be better off without him since then she could find a non-crap dude.
Title: Re: Tuesday, September 8th 2009 - Good! Bad? Ethanol!
Post by: dejavroom on September 09, 2009, 01:50:39 pm
This is like watching platelets scurrying to stop an hemorrhaging vessel...
Title: Re: Tuesday, September 8th 2009 - Good! Bad? Ethanol!
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on September 09, 2009, 04:51:12 pm
This was my assumption. The cowardice as he sees is probably partly that the Lash was sort of a destiny he avoided, plus he let down CH since he basically agreed to follow through on this.

I beg to differ.  He was told the Lash of Thanatos was a horrible curse by what, two people?  There was no REAL reason he had to die at that moment.  But he went along with it.  And in so doing he didn't think of Molly or anyone else who would be saddened by his death.  He is the dying man, who didn't necessarily have to die at that time, but he went along with it, rather than trying to save the dying man.

Mostly, though, I think Onstad wanted to reuse the line from the earlier CH arc.
Title: Re: Tuesday, September 8th 2009 - Good! Bad? Ethanol!
Post by: CortJstr on September 09, 2009, 06:16:35 pm
Mostly, though, I think Onstad wanted to reuse the line from the earlier CH arc.

Agreed
Title: Re: Tuesday, September 8th 2009 - Good! Bad? Ethanol!
Post by: Toaster on September 09, 2009, 06:26:28 pm
The off-screen escape was a nod to Hamlet.
Title: Re: Tuesday, September 8th 2009 - Good! Bad? Ethanol!
Post by: atalkingdog on September 09, 2009, 11:03:30 pm
beef escaped reincarnation as an unfortunate being.
Title: Re: Tuesday, September 8th 2009 - Good! Bad? Ethanol!
Post by: Doc on September 09, 2009, 11:53:05 pm
The off-screen escape was a nod to Hamlet.

Rayzencrantz and Teostern ain't dead! The feel good comedy of the year.
Title: Re: Tuesday, September 8th 2009 - Good! Bad? Ethanol!
Post by: lprkn on September 11, 2009, 06:47:38 pm
The feel-good cannin' of the year.
Title: Re: Tuesday, September 8th 2009 - Good! Bad? Ethanol!
Post by: ktoad on September 12, 2009, 05:50:06 am
(http://imgur.com/FVtBb.jpg)
Title: Re: Tuesday, September 8th 2009 - Good! Bad? Ethanol!
Post by: greenkoolayd on September 12, 2009, 06:16:28 am
raaaad!
Title: Re: Tuesday, September 8th 2009 - Good! Bad? Ethanol!
Post by: side_show on September 12, 2009, 03:09:17 pm
(http://imgur.com/FVtBb.jpg)

I must add that the fact the book is by Roald Dahl is pretty great.

I'm heartily disappointed by how this story arch appears to be resolving itself.  There was so much wasted potential for something epic to occur.  Ho hum.
Title: Re: Tuesday, September 8th 2009 - Good! Bad? Ethanol!
Post by: AugustWest on September 12, 2009, 04:58:14 pm
I must add that the fact the book is by Roald Dahl is pretty great.



Seconded.

I always have to link to this story (http://www.roalddahlfans.com/shortstories/inthtext.php) whenever anybody brings up Roald Dahl.  Without a doubt it backs the most creepiness into the smallest space of any story evar!
Title: Re: Tuesday, September 8th 2009 - Good! Bad? Ethanol!
Post by: Toaster on September 12, 2009, 07:53:39 pm
ktoad gets a can for Watterson Bird.
Title: Re: Tuesday, September 8th 2009 - Good! Bad? Ethanol!
Post by: linnea on September 12, 2009, 10:39:10 pm
ktoad, did you make that? Cuz i just gave you a tiny can of Dr. Pepper.
Title: Re: Tuesday, September 8th 2009 - Good! Bad? Ethanol!
Post by: ktoad on September 13, 2009, 03:49:13 am
ktoad, did you make that? Cuz i just gave you a tiny can of Dr. Pepper.

I did, yeah.  Thank you!

I'm afraid I don't understand much about the cans.  Can I also give them to people?  Or is it a moderator thing?
Title: Re: Tuesday, September 8th 2009 - Good! Bad? Ethanol!
Post by: Doc on September 13, 2009, 03:52:26 am
I'm afraid I don't understand much about the cans.  Can I also give them to people?  Or is it a moderator thing?

The politest thing.
Basically when you are just a little bit older you will get cans of your own that you can give to someone special to you.

Also thankyou both ktoad and AW for reminding me that RD is the best children's author because he is the creepiest children's author. I should go read the Twits again sometime, it's been literally decades by now.
Title: Re: Tuesday, September 8th 2009 - Good! Bad? Ethanol!
Post by: side_show on September 13, 2009, 08:06:43 pm
I always have to link to this story (http://www.roalddahlfans.com/shortstories/inthtext.php) whenever anybody brings up Roald Dahl.  Without a doubt it backs the most creepiness into the smallest space of any story evar!

Ah!  Good God.  That is...  So unpleasant. 

Also, I gave you two cans, ktoad.
Title: Re: Tuesday, September 8th 2009 - Good! Bad? Ethanol!
Post by: linnea on September 14, 2009, 03:22:05 am
The politest thing.
Basically when you are just a little bit older you will get cans of your own that you can give to someone special to you.

Also thankyou both ktoad and AW for reminding me that RD is the best children's author because he is the creepiest children's author. I should go read the Twits again sometime, it's been literally decades by now.

That short story was not intended for children, obviously, but jesus christ that is creepy.
Title: Re: Tuesday, September 8th 2009 - Good! Bad? Ethanol!
Post by: fnord on September 14, 2009, 06:46:42 am
I always have to link to this story (http://www.roalddahlfans.com/shortstories/inthtext.php) whenever anybody brings up Roald Dahl.

"And the award for biggest discrepancy between website content and style exhibited by title font goes to roalddahlfans.com"
Title: Re: Tuesday, September 8th 2009 - Good! Bad? Ethanol!
Post by: jaydub on September 14, 2009, 09:53:26 pm
Sublime.  I think I might cry though.
Title: Re: Tuesday, September 8th 2009 - Good! Bad? Ethanol!
Post by: R2DTrousers on September 22, 2009, 07:30:30 pm
You mean fanfic?  I hear there are medications for that these days.  Look into it.

Times have changed. Achewood fanfic now has the potential to be better than achewood.