The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Achewood => Achewood => Topic started by: MrMandible on September 12, 2009, 10:17:03 am

Title: September 12th, 2009 - does he think I need assistance in that regard
Post by: MrMandible on September 12, 2009, 10:17:03 am
http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=09122009 (http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=09122009)

Mr. K cannot be guilt-tripped, apparently.  Not by C.H., anyway.



(fixed link - w)
Title: Re: September 12th, 2009 - does he think I need assistance in that regard
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on September 12, 2009, 11:49:27 am
Not sure I get this.  Why does CH think Beef a coward? Because he wouldn't stay and die like he was supposed to?  Because he ruined CH's scheme?

Yeah, fuck that guy.
Title: Re: September 12th, 2009 - does he think I need assistance in that regard
Post by: miles on September 12, 2009, 12:18:27 pm
I think you had the wrong link. Here it is: http://achewood.com/index.php?date=09122009

I woke up early for some reason today, and in my groggy state when I clicked the above link I thought I was losing my mind. Maybe I should go back to sleep, which apparently is an act of defiance.
Title: Re: September 12th, 2009 - does he think I need assistance in that regard
Post by: Liz on September 12, 2009, 01:13:58 pm
I was also disappointed in this story arc and I have returned from the dead just to complain!

None of Beef's actions have made sense to me, from the first shot (http://"http://achewood.com/index.php?date=07272009") where we were supposed to be "swerved" by the idea that he was cheating on Molly with a prostitute, to his totally passive acceptance of CH's scheme. Maybe in Onstad's head (or somewhere on the fanflow) this is consistent with RB's characterization but he is not doing a good job of communicating it.

I could buy Beef just chastising himself in those words based on the fact that he has got depression, but to have it confirmed that Beef "failed" somehow, I just don't understand it.

I mean, who is the dying man? Is it the karma machine? Or perhaps the president of Williams-Sonoma, whom he abandoned to the angry lesbians?

I'm sure the real answer is supposed to be "himself" but I can't really figure out why; see my earlier complaints about not "getting" RB's characterization, I guess.

Well the Karma Machine was a good design, anyway. And the detail of Molly calling it his "little" 'zine-around club. I mean, who is not driven crazy by having their interests referred to in this way?
Title: Re: September 12th, 2009 - does he think I need assistance in that regard
Post by: Doc on September 12, 2009, 01:19:08 pm
The Molly parts of this strip were the best parts of this strip.
This should tell you what I think of this strip.
Title: Re: September 12th, 2009 - does he think I need assistance in that regard
Post by: wombat on September 12, 2009, 02:03:33 pm
But, people. Beef is asserting himself. And against the terrifying Cartilage Head, no less. Even if it's only asserting his great skill at being hella depressed about himself, isn't this is a wonderful thing? And that stupid pretentious Cartilage Head, I've always wanted someone to put him in his place. Yeah, fuck that guy!
Title: Re: September 12th, 2009 - does he think I need assistance in that regard
Post by: atalkingdog on September 12, 2009, 02:14:36 pm
what does Cartilage Head do when he isn't engineering these death events?

it is  hard to imagine running into him at a restaurant.
Title: Re: September 12th, 2009 - does he think I need assistance in that regard
Post by: AugustWest on September 12, 2009, 04:56:09 pm
Hooray!  Hooray for you Mr. Roasted Beef.  Hooray for you!

Rock on with your bad self.
Title: Re: September 12th, 2009 - does he think I need assistance in that regard
Post by: wombat on September 12, 2009, 06:11:47 pm
what does Cartilage Head do when he isn't engineering these death events?

it is  hard to imagine running into him at a restaurant.

Totally! He's probably completely pathetic. He never goes out, spends all his time posting stuff on the internet, pretending he's someone much cooler than he really is.
Title: Re: September 12th, 2009 - does he think I need assistance in that regard
Post by: pmcd9 on September 12, 2009, 09:29:42 pm
So what really happened?

Beef was fated to suffer the Lash of Thanatos so Cartilage head intervened to turn his death into a show.  If CH had not gotten involved would Beef had died in some other way?  It's confusing to me because if the Lash was Beef's fate, why did CH ask permission to use him?  If it was fate he didn't really have a say in the matter.

If it is fate and not just a game that CH is playing couldn't he not just come and get him again and finish the job?

His fate was to be reincarnated as an unfortunate being.  Isn't Beef already an unfortunate being?  Maybe by walking back into his bedroom he was actually fulfilling the fate of the Lash of Thanatos.  But if that were the case the note doesn't make sense again. 

I am wholly unsatisfied with the resolution of this arc.

Still no fin though so maybe there is more yet to come.
Title: Re: September 12th, 2009 - does he think I need assistance in that regard
Post by: Toaster on September 12, 2009, 09:47:23 pm
Here, Beef seems different than what we've ever seen of him. More assured. Like at the end of back To the Future, but with the roles switched around. So maybe that's a bad example. I'll try to think of a better one*. What I really mean is that there is this sense of indignance now where before there was passive resignation. The sense that the Beef Molly said bye to yesterday is not the same Beef who she is greeting this morning. A gulf between expectation and reality. Beef is a new man.

*Maybe the end of Superman II? Still not perfect... Maybe it's like the end of the Stardust movie...
Title: Re: September 12th, 2009 - does he think I need assistance in that regard
Post by: linnea on September 12, 2009, 10:36:42 pm
But, people. Beef is asserting himself. And against the terrifying Cartilage Head, no less. Even if it's only asserting his great skill at being hella depressed about himself, isn't this is a wonderful thing? And that stupid pretentious Cartilage Head, I've always wanted someone to put him in his place. Yeah, fuck that guy!

My thoughts exactly, omba. Tiny can.
Title: Re: September 12th, 2009 - does he think I need assistance in that regard
Post by: atalkingdog on September 12, 2009, 11:49:30 pm
So what really happened?

Beef was fated to suffer the Lash of Thanatos so Cartilage head intervened to turn his death into a show.  If CH had not gotten involved would Beef had died in some other way?  It's confusing to me because if the Lash was Beef's fate, why did CH ask permission to use him?  If it was fate he didn't really have a say in the matter.

If it is fate and not just a game that CH is playing couldn't he not just come and get him again and finish the job?

His fate was to be reincarnated as an unfortunate being.  Isn't Beef already an unfortunate being?  Maybe by walking back into his bedroom he was actually fulfilling the fate of the Lash of Thanatos.  But if that were the case the note doesn't make sense again. 

I am wholly unsatisfied with the resolution of this arc.

Still no fin though so maybe there is more yet to come.

this is a philosophical diversion.  continuity isn't so important in achewood as nerd-fest mainstream comics.

we've seen Cartilage-head before.  he frightened Ray.  Did this give Ray the extra Ooomph to engage in the Great Outdoor fight?

Roast Beef dropped the pamphlet before learning how to escape being reincarnated as an Unfortunate Being.  through Cartilage Head Roast Beef has escaped a propensity toward being an unfortunate being.  he now has much less propensity for being an unfortunate being.
Title: Re: September 12th, 2009 - does he think I need assistance in that regard
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on September 13, 2009, 12:15:38 am
Fuck that guy!
Title: Re: September 12th, 2009 - does he think I need assistance in that regard
Post by: ananke on September 13, 2009, 12:40:00 am
"It's not easy being Depression McGuyver," thought Depression McGuyver, as the cartilage creature baselessly trashed his depression chops.
Title: Re: September 12th, 2009 - does he think I need assistance in that regard
Post by: littlefallsmets on September 13, 2009, 03:58:39 am
The sad cat out-depressed the Andy Kaufman of depression.
Title: Re: September 12th, 2009 - does he think I need assistance in that regard
Post by: JorgeFabregas on September 13, 2009, 05:49:01 am
So what really happened?

Beef was fated to suffer the Lash of Thanatos so Cartilage head intervened to turn his death into a show.  If CH had not gotten involved would Beef had died in some other way?  It's confusing to me because if the Lash was Beef's fate, why did CH ask permission to use him?  If it was fate he didn't really have a say in the matter.

If it is fate and not just a game that CH is playing couldn't he not just come and get him again and finish the job?

His fate was to be reincarnated as an unfortunate being.  Isn't Beef already an unfortunate being?  Maybe by walking back into his bedroom he was actually fulfilling the fate of the Lash of Thanatos.  But if that were the case the note doesn't make sense again. 

I am wholly unsatisfied with the resolution of this arc.

Still no fin though so maybe there is more yet to come.
I think that there is no Lash of Thanatos and that it was a setup by the fortune teller and CH.
Title: Re: September 12th, 2009 - does he think I need assistance in that regard
Post by: smick on September 14, 2009, 05:05:09 pm
What dying man did he desert?
Title: Re: September 12th, 2009 - does he think I need assistance in that regard
Post by: AugustWest on September 14, 2009, 05:23:44 pm
I think Cartilage Head just got a bunch of those snapshot holders printed up and now he feels obligated to use them for everything.
Title: Re: September 12th, 2009 - does he think I need assistance in that regard
Post by: smick on September 14, 2009, 06:46:31 pm
You see it time and time again in the entertainment business.   

This is why "Talent" needs to surround themselves with business staff they can trust.   He went out and got a private plane, yet didn't leave enough budget for stationery.